• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Sword and Shield revealed!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My immediate reaction to the new starter trio reveal was "Ugh, another grass monkey. Looks like it's Team Wabbit for me". But 10 minutes later, after staring at Grookey's artwork a bit, I realized just how endearing and precious the little chimp actually is - so I quit Team Wabbit and joined Team Grass Chimp.

#TeamGrookey ftw!

And with that said...

Bun vs Chimp.jpg

Cannot unsee this.

Damn, didn't realize they shared the same pose... must mean it'll definitely be a Fire/Fighting upon the final evolution. As for the starers, I like them all and can't decide, hence why I'm making my choice when their final evolutions are revealed...

And if Scorbunny is another Fire/Fighting type, I won't pick it regardless of how awesome it may look.

Oh boy, if that Bunnelby-looking bunny ends up being a fire/fighting type, ARGH!
soBBLe iS sO CuTE
I really don’t think we need another fire fighting type starter (blazekin, infernape, emboar). It probably will be, but I could see it becomeing a fire/ground type too, and that would be cool.

I share everyone's fears for the potentially fire/fighting bunny. Perhaps the band-aids are an indicator of something other than getting into punching/kicking matches all the time, but if this comment section is any measure to go by, well . . . suffice it to say, we won't be the only fans with this impression.

Not that it really matters to me. I'm more concerned that it indicates a disconnect from fan input about what we want in future games. For instance: 23 years into Pokemon games, and we have yet to see a mainstream adult protagonist, or even one of high school age. I get it, it's a kids' game, but I'd bet the deed to my house that over 2/3 of the current fans own cars. When will adult sprites at least be made an option?

Also, the Pokemon Company rep pointedly stated that this new game would retain the core elements of the past, but simultaneously try new things. That can be interpreted countless ways, but I hope the new policy includes a resolution to back off with the constant storyline interruptions so prevalent in Sun/Moon. That game literally, literally, literally could not go five minutes without jerking gameplay to a halt with stuff about "take a picture of this Pikachu," or "those guys are such numbskulls," or "gosh, I wonder who that mysterious masked man could be." If they pull something like that again, the least they can do is allow for a skip option this time around.

I will say that the graphics look awesome, and Sword/Shield comes as close as it ever has to the idealized version in my mind when it comes to 3D pokemon games. I'm also happy that so far, the pokemon look convincingly like animals, and not out-of-proportion aberrations from Azathoth's nightmares. More Suicune, less Trubbish, please.

yo what if they end up as grass/fighting fire/electric and water/fairy types
water/ghost would also be cool 4 sobble
ive read that grookey could be based on morris dancers (groove+monkey, stick thing, etc.) so idk if fighting would be the best type for that but like. there is no music type so like.

either way i luv them all,,, there hasnt been a gen where ive loved all the starters 100% equally since i think gen 2,

here's my team look like Scorbunny, Eevee (Sylveon), unnamed Water type Pokemon (a Dolphin Pokemon), Unnamed Grass type Pokemon (a Flower Pokemon), and any misc. pokemon (a Female Meowstic, and a Male Mamoswine)

They sure slayed Grookey's design. We already have a Grass-type monkey in Pansage yet they look distinct

Tempting as this is, I don't have the time or money for it... :(

Last edited:
Also... I don't think anyone has noticed this but we might get 'Pokemon food' (like dog food) in the game, if you look at the scene with the London-like city at 0:23 you may notice an advert on the wall for it.

Cheribe

Previously +BlueSalty
My theory is that the wolf-like figures in the logos are some sort of legendary/mythical pokemon that will play some sort of role in the plot at one point or another

@ThatOneSonicFan I think it's more than likely they relate to either the legendary mascots (Solgaleo & Lunala, Groudon & Kyogre) or the post-game one (referring to Necrozma, Rayquaza, etc).

My guess is the latter as they're both the same wolf figure.

Or the mascot legendary is only one with two alternate forms that cannot be changed.

xSuNaMi

Previously xHuRrIcAnE
When I first saw the map, I thought It was a combination of the regions. I thought that the snowy part could be Mount Lanaryu[I think that's what its called] from USUM[you know? the place where the league is?], the cave could be Terminus cave, so on and so forth. While the Galar region was not what I hoped, it still looks really interesting.

xSuNaMi

Previously xHuRrIcAnE
I, honestly, want Scorbunny to end up as a fire-Electric type since the only one we have right now is that flipping' ROTOM HEAT!! Like, seriously, a MICROWAVE!! Plus, electric is my second favorite type behind dragon

xSuNaMi

Previously xHuRrIcAnE
Right... so let me get this out the way: *intense screaming*

Just like Shiny Blue Gardevoir up there, it's a region on my country which is amazing!
Also, the starters are adorable! (psst I like Scorbunny...)

And, we might get an Eeveelution for this game: excluding Generation 1, it's been an even number where one was released. It's Generation 8.
Personally, a Steel-Type would fit in with the 'Industrial' setting to this region.

I also think that weird hill-carved legendary is very Necrozma-esque.

I can drag on forever!

Honestly think the hill pattern looks like some kind of alter ego for Ultra Necroma, which is SUPER COOL!!!!!!! HYPE!!!!

@xHuRrIcAnE honestly I agree with Scorbunny's evolution.

I feel like it would fit to be a Fire/Electric because of how Scorbunny is seen in the advert. They'd be even more bouncy and hyper if they had an Electric typing, if GameFreak don't decide to do a football rabbit.
I think a Fire/Steel typing would work too, they could evolve the bandages into steel? Or maybe a more explosive metal like Caesium or something...

For Sobble, a Water/Ghost final evo would work with the camouflage skill they have, and for Grookey, maybe Grass/Fairy? I have no reason for the latter, I'd just like to see it.

xSuNaMi

Previously xHuRrIcAnE

I feel like it would fit to be a Fire/Electric because of how Scorbunny is seen in the advert. They'd be even more bouncy and hyper if they had an Electric typing, if GameFreak don't decide to do a football rabbit.
I think a Fire/Steel typing would work too, they could evolve the bandages into steel? Or maybe a more explosive metal like Caesium or something...

For Sobble, a Water/Ghost final evo would work with the camouflage skill they have, and for Grookey, maybe Grass/Fairy? I have no reason for the latter, I'd just like to see it.
Honestly, I would love it for Grookey to be a Grass-Fighting type.

xSuNaMi

Previously xHuRrIcAnE

I think the thing with the metal would be really creative since we have such few Fire-Steel types(I think?)

So excited ...
I hope they introduce a new Eeveelution; they seem to do so every other region. And this might be a foolish wish, but maybe they'll introduce three-type Pokémon. That would be so interesting.
And, also, I keep swapping between Sobble Squad and Grookey Gang, but I'll choose when I see the final evolutions.