• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Sun and Moon- how will you play?

What Starter are you picking?

• Rowlet

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Popplio

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys... I wanted to see what other people are thinking about doing in the Pokémon Sun and Moon games (ex: your teams, favorite Pokemon, etc).

I just thought it would be fun to do, and try to tell me-

How will you play?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Gonna go through the entire game in English on my first run, grabbing whatever Pokemon I can. I'll prolly just speed through as much as I can then, since I don't plan on keeping the first save anyways. Maybe I'll play the guy character for this run.

Second playthrough will be where I completely reset and go for a Chinese run. With the female protag! (Because I'm like 75% certain she'll have more outfit options if XY was any indicator of that) I'll actually take my time then and properly care for my Pokemon, get outfits, etc. I'll likely also use the team I posted in @nuclearsushi 's thread on Sun/Moon teams for this run. I don't think I'll reset it again, but eh.

23/11 - Start Moon in English, complete storyline asap
28/11 - Start Sun in English on flight to japan
29/11 - Start Moon in Japanese
30/11 - Start Sun in Japanese, download Eevee and Comfey from pokemon center
7/12 - Download Alola vulpix from Sapporo pokémon centre
14/12 - Finish Sun in english on stupid flight back to stupid england....

I'm always extremely thorough on my first run of a game: I'll be looking down every path, checking every building/ area, and leaving no stones un-turned. I always make it a rule of thumb to catch at least one of every Pokemon I can find, regardless of whether I end up using them or not. I'll also be spending a large majority of time customizing my character.

I already have a few ideas for what Pokemon I want to use, but I can't say I know how the team will turn out yet. Rowlet will be my starter for sure (I made my choice the second I saw the reveal trailer for the starters).

Should be a lot of fun!

Don't know about my team yet. Depends on what shows up early in the game. As for HOW I will play, since gen 6 came out I've been keeping my first playthroughs. I will likely do the same with this one. I will also not use the Exp. Share (if present) unless I am really stuck. It kinda spoiled my X version run, so I didn't use it in ORAS until I beat the Elite Four the first time. I intend to continue that, as gen 6 was way too easy with it.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I always keep the first save on the first game of a new Generation... I usually just get the other version if I want to play through it all again, so I am always very careful and slow on my first save! I'll make sure not to miss anything and to catch every Pokemon available per route before I move on to the next area xD

As for my team, I'll just pick the ones I like best from the new region and use those. Once we can send Pokemon over from previous Gens I'll send my actual team over (can't leave Thunderdog behind!).

Hmm...an interesting question you posit.

I've never really thought about it to be honest. The last couple of games I've played are all remakes, so I kind of just went through the motions. Typically, I go through the main storyline quickly, only once, and always with the female protagonist (because I think girls are cute). And I try to catch as many pokemon as I can for my pokedex.

I was thinking that I'd love to do a playthrough where all my pokemon have one type in common but there's so many new pokemon I want that are all different types! I may just have to bite the bullet on that one though as I'd really like to challenge myself for this upcoming title.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
This time around I'll be playing female just because why not? I've already decided her name will be Mahina as that is the Hawaiian word for Moon, the version I'm playing, and I'm a sucker for meaningful names. Just as I did with Alpha Sapphire, I will be taking careful notes of my playthrough so that I can write a Let's Play Journal later in life. I'll need to finish the AS journal first though. >>; As for my team, it's not finalized yet but I have an idea of who I'd like to use. Honestly, there are so many new Pokemon that I'd love to use that I may just submit and by a copy of Sun as well making this the first time I buy both versions in a new Generation.

I started with the male character last gen so I might go with the female character in Sun, and on my first playthrough of a game as much as possible I try to play without looking at walkthroughs unless I get stuck. I'll also look at the list of pokemon and their types and stats to decide who I want to capture, but I also like to capture somewhat early-game pokes. Further, if the exp share is back, I won't worry about doubling up types and I'll have a rotating team of up to 12 pokemon. I'll also explore as much as possible, side quests, etc.

Second playthrough with Moon might depend on how busy I am, but it will be faster and with EV-trained pokemon.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like many others have said, I always treat my first playthrough a new region a certain way:

- Whichever starter that I choose will stick with me for the entirety of my journey, and I've long decided to choose Rowlet for that role. Abandoning my first starter in a new region just feels dirty. XD

- The first game that I play in a collection (which will be Moon this time 'round) becomes my main game, so while I'll probably restart Sun a few times over I'll likely never restart Moon. I'll also be aiming to complete my Pokedex on Moon and discover/do all of the things - at least throughout the main story. For some reason I often put more energy into the post-game of my second playthrough a region verses the first, likely because the first run is more focused on fleshing out my Dex and finding all of the hidden secrets/items/etc.

- Unless a Pokemon has a vastly new move pool or a new gimmick (such as a new evolution, new form, or Mega Evoltuion) I'll only train Pokemon that I've never raised before during my first run through a region. Obviously Alolan Pokemon are a thing this gen and you can bet that I'll be aiming for Alolan Raichu - if not Alolan Sandshew/Slash and Marowak as well - but it's worth it. The way that I'll be using the Alolans will differ from how I've previously trained those Pokemon, and that prospect makes me really excited. ^^

- Speaking of my team, I can never stop at just 6 different Pokemon. That just feels far too restrictive! The chance of me raising upwards of 11 different critters is very, very high, especially with the added bonus of Poke Pelago. Now I'll feel less guilty when any of my team members are sitting ignored in PC boxes. :'D

- Usually I always pick the female player character for my first run and name her after myself (Katie), then choose the male character afterwards and name him Kenji, but this time around I've decided to change things up. I'm going to let Kenji have the first romp around Alola because dressing up the male character in X/Y was so much more fun than customizing the female. ^-^

- I'll be spending hordes of time with Pokemon Refresh, Poke Pelago, and the Festival Plaza (I love features like those), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if my playtime ends up being 70+ hours before I actually finish the main story. I believe that I'd capped 90 hours on Y by the time that I actually took down the Champion of the Elite 4.

- While I'll take note of EVs and IVs, I won't bother thinking about them too much. The first adventure is all about the fun and discovering a new region, so any serious breeding or competitive team plotting can wait until later.

- Finally, as far as my team goes I've already mentioned a couple of Pokemon that I'll definitely train (Rowlet and Pikachu for Alolan Raichu). I also have my eyes on Rockruff (though I'll be badgering someone to help me obtain the Midday evolution), Wishiwashi, Type: Null, Pikipek, Salandit, and maybe Sandygast if another ground-type doesn't catch my attention first. I'm debating picking up a Mimikyu as well, but something tells me that guy would benefit from competitive breeding. Beyond that things are fairly open and I'm looking forward to discovering what pops up along the way. Jangmo-o has a high chance of joining my team if it appears early enough, for example. We'll see what I encounter. ♥

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going for Rowlet on my first run, and I have a few team members I already know I'm going for. There's a few potentials, but I can't say I know what I'll ultimately go with beyond two or three species I have my heart set on. I'm not going to bother with EVs and IVs as I'm not exactly a particularly competitive player - Especially not in my first run of a region. I also still don't know if I'll run the male or female character.

We shall see, I guess?

I'll just play it as it comes. The only three pokemon I'm certain that I'll get are incineroar, mimikyu, and whatever the flying type of this gen is, to use as a HM slave. I thought about catching an alolan ninetales, but I also want an eevee, which I'll try to evolve into sylveon, (I ended up with an espeon in Y). If I fail again to evolve my eevee into sylveon, or I can't find one, I'll catch a ninetales. I don't think that having both an eevee and an alolan ninetales would be a good idea, since both are fairy types...

Well first of all I am soft resetting until I have a shiny Rowlet...

No I am not, I am not that patient. But I plan on picking up my game from EB Games, then my friend and I are planning to spend the day together and start our new games together in a sort of start your journey together kind of way. I plan on taking my time, talking to many NPCs and of course trying to find as many of the new Pokemon I can.

I am in no rush to complete the story line, and I want to enjoy my time and really experience the game because knowing me I'll be starting to do a lot of breeding and egg hatching in the post game with all these new mons.