• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Ruby/Emerald/Sapphire Remake?

Since pokemon R/S/E were the most popular for gameboy advance,would it not be a good idea to remake this game for the Dsi or 3ds?

What are your thoughts?

It would be an interesting idea, and I think Nintendo will do it eventually, as it was a great jump in quality between GS and RSE, though that was partially because of the new console.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Nintendo themselves have pretty much confirmed the idea with a few nods here and there. And I doubt it'd be for the DSi, if anything the next/last Pokemon game for it will be Grey with Ruby and Sapphire remakes being for the 3DS in full 3D.

I never really liked the third gen of Pokemon overall, so remakes are gonna have to be pretty darn good to change my feelings on that. And we better get the Battle Frontier from Emerald.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
As Demelza said, there have been some not so subtle hints of Gen III being revisted. A lot of people didn't like Gen III, but personally it was my favorite Pokemon generation so seeing remakes of it on the 3DS would make me squee really hard to the point of full on fangasm. It would most likely have Ruby/Sapphire's story with Emerald's innovations like the Battle Frontier. And even if these aren't straight remakes like FRLG and HGSS, I still at least want another Hoenn game.

I caught a few bits of information about the "resurrection" of III gen as well..After watching the pokemon handheld games grow from Kanto to Hoenn and then go even further to release the directors cut to Hoenn [Emerald] I think that remaking III gen would be my favorite pokemon game.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I feel we've had this topic many times now, but I guess it's to be expected. It's a hot topic. ;)

As Demelza and PM have said, there have been subtle hints towards the creation of Ruby/Sapphire remakes both within B/W and from the Pokemon Company itself. The Dive HM being included in B/W alone basically confirms it. Hoenn is still one of my favourite regions to date, and I love hordes of Pokemon species from gen 3, so I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to playthrough those games again on my 3DS.

I'm not too fussed about how they handle the games but it'd be nice if they included HG/SS's feature of having a Pokemon follow behind you~

Another one of these? |D

No R/S/E remake-thread is complete without the obligatory 'amfg<3' from yours truly, probably one of the biggest fanboys of the Third gen on this site. Emerald was my first game, and I have played all other gens apart from the fifth- Which, to be honest, doesn't interest me that much- but the third remains my favourite.

So,yes, I would love a remake- Although preferably of something Emerald-like, since that one was better then Ruby and Sapphire, and yet at the same time, I'm genuinely afraid they'll ruin Hoenn the same way they ruined Kanto in HG/SS. That would be the biggest disappointment ever.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ruined Kanto in HG/SS...? But Kanto in HG/SS was much, much better than Kanto in the original G/S/C! Dark Soul is so misguided... :x

(iluDS, rly~)

I dont get how Kanto was ruined either. I loved going through Kanto on HG.
But I really believe that a remake will be coming and it will be a great idea to do it. For a lot of people Gen 3 was their first game and it actually got me back into pokemon. After I beat gold and silver and got into middle school I got into the whole stage of "pokemon is stupid, thats for little kids" but then in 8th grade i worked at the summer program for my martial arts studio I saw some kid playing ruby and i instantly hooked back to it and had to start playing again.

We've talked about this so much before and after the server split and in chat, I didn't realize we didn't have an active topic on this xD.Either way, I'm really excited about RSE enhanced remakes. I still firmly believe they'll follow the HGSS format and take the third version's plot with the first two games' version exclusives. Again, Hoenn would seriously be beautiful on the 3DS and the dive routes can really be fleshed out. I think all the fears surrounding the remake are misguided just like the ones surrounding Gen V. Game Freak would literally have to go out of their way to 'ruin' Hoenn.

Dark Soul said:
Another one of these? |D
So,yes, I would love a remake- Although preferably of something Emerald-like, since that one was better then Ruby and Sapphire, and yet at the same time, I'm genuinely afraid they'll ruin Hoenn the same way they ruined Kanto in HG/SS. That would be the biggest disappointment ever.

I think part of my soul just died a little on the inside. Maybe DS missed playing GSC because Kanto was really busted in those games.

I meant that comment compared to my playtrough of FireRed. As much as I loved Kanto in that game, they'd heavily altered the region in HG/SS- In my opinion, anyway :p

My main issue was the replacement of the PokeMon Tower with the Radio Tower. That was just saddening.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dark Soul said:
I meant that comment compared to my playtrough of FireRed. As much as I loved Kanto in that game, they'd heavily altered the region in HG/SS- In my opinion, anyway :p

My main issue was the replacement of the PokeMon Tower with the Radio Tower. That was just saddening.

Blame the original G/S/C, not the remake~

Kanto in HG/SS actually lets you enter Viridian Forest while Kanto in G/S/C did not. ;3

Kanto in HGSS also let you enter the Seafoam Islands while Kanto in GSC didn't. Either way, it was way more enjoyable traveling through Kanto in HGSS compared to GSC. I admire Game Freak for at least making Kanto bearable since it had to be tacked on at all. Like Katie said, any issues with Kanto lie with GSC, not the remakes...including the stupid Pokemon Tower incident. I mean why replace the grave tower with a Radio tower you can't even enter?

Yep, I think Hoenn will be all right~

To be honest 3rd gen was my least favorite of the series. It was the start of the whole new evil organization(s) every new generation and it seemed to have the (IMO) overall weakest gym leaders. Now with that said I would love to see how Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever would go about improving the game. I would be more then willing to give it a second chance.