• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Retyping's for Sun and Moon

When Pokemon X and Y came out, a lot of Pokemon were retyped to Fairy. I believe there are a few Pokemon that should have became Fairy, but didn't. I would like to make those changes. While I'm at it, I would like to change some other Pokemon types as well. Some of these retyping's are obvious to me, while some aren't as obvious, but are still there.

1. Retyping's( - indicates the change from before to after):

Cresselia: Normal - Normal/Psychic(Moon = Fairy. I don't know how this change wasn't made already. I also think it would be perfect to rival Darkrai, who's strong against Psychic but weak to Fairy).
Noctowl: Normal/Flying - Flying/Psychic(Most of this things learnset consists of Flying and Psychic moves. I always thought this thing could pull of the Psychic typing well).
Stantler: Normal - Normal/Psychic(Same reason as Noctowl).
Furret: Normal - Normal/Ground
Dunsparce: Normal/Ground
Golduck: Water - Water/Psychic(Same reason as Noctowl and Stantler).
Mismagius: Ghost - Ghost/Psychic(This Pokemon is based off some sort of Witch. Most of the time, magic is associated with the Psychic type. I think that if Delphox gets the Psychic type, then Mismagius should as well.
Luxray: Electric - Electric/Dark(Bite and Crunch STAB. It's color scheme also makes it look like a Dark-Type.
Skitty/Delcatty: Normal - Normal/Fairy(This Pokemon was on my list as one of the Pokemon that I was betting would get the Fairy type along with the rest in Pokemon X/Y. Sadly, it didn't).
Zangoose: Normal - Normal/Fighting(This thing looks like a fighter. Also, give this thing STAB on Revenge and Brick Break).
Musharna: Psychic - Psychic/Fairy(Very girly/Fairy-like Pokemon. Also has a strong tie to the moon, which is shown to be associated with the Fairy Type).
Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit: Psychic - Psychic/Fairy(Look like Fairy's).
Phione/Manaphy: Water - Water/Fairy(Looks like Fairy's too. Also, give them Dazzling Gleam STAB).
Skiddoo/Gogoat: Grass - Grass/Normal(I honestly can't tell you how these guys aren't Normal-types, but Litleo and Pyroar are. It just looks like a Normal-type).
Mega-Absol: Dark - Dark/Fairy(Something about it gives me the Fairy-type feel. Also, why not give it STAB on Play Rough?).

Here are some type changes that aren't completely realistic, but I think that they would be pretty neat:

Milotic: Water - Water/Fairy(Beauty = Fairy)
Ledyba/Ledian: Bug/Flying - Bug/Fighting(SO MANY PUNCHING MOVES)
Ninetales: Fire - Fire/Psychic(Pretty much the same reason as Noctowl and the others. Always seemed like a Psychic type. It learns a fair amount of Psychic-type moves as well, like Extrasensory and Psychic).
Mew: Psychic - Psychic/Fairy(I don't know. Pink = Fairy?)
Cherubi/Cherrim: Grass - Grass/Fairy(They just seem like they could be Fairy-types).
Staraptor: Normal/Flying - Flying/Fighting(Close Combat STAB)
Magmortar: Fire - Fire/Fighting(Brick Break. Mach Punch. Cross Chop. Dynamic Punch. Karate Chop. Low Kick. Rock Smash. Focus Punch. Focus Blast. Low Sweep. 'Nuff said).
Electivire: Electric - Electric/Fighting(Same reason as Magmortar, with the addition of Rolling Kick and Hammer Arm. Doesn't get Mach Punch though).
Floatzel: Water - Water/Fighting(I don't know. It could work, couldn't it?)
Basculin: Water - Water/Fighting(Superpower STAB would wreck house).
Samurott: Water - Water/Fighting(Seems like a Fighting-type to me. Revenge STAB is cool too).
Serperior: Grass - Grass/Dragon(Could work. Dragon Pulse and Dragon Tail STAB is a plus as well).
Eelectross: Electric - Electric/Dragon(Same reason as Serperior).
Vanillish/Vanilluxe: Ice - Ice/Steel(These guys get Mirror Shot, Iron Defense, and Automize, and Flash Cannon).
Klink - Klank - Klinklang: Steel - Steel/Electric(Please just look up the movesets on these dudes, and tell me which electric type move it doesn't get. Don't say Volt Tackle though).
Alomomola: Water - Water/Fairy(Same reason as Mew).
Gothitelle: Psychic - Psychic/Dark(Color scheme is black. Also gets a lot of dark type moves like Fake Tears, Embargo, Faint Attack, Flatter, Dark Pulse, Taunt, Torment, Theif and Payback).
Beartic: Ice - Ice/Water(Polar bear's like to swim, am I right? Also gets Brine, Surf, Dive, Rain Dance, and Aqua Jet).
Darmanitan: Fire - Fire/Fighting(It would make sense for it's normal form to be Fire/Fighting, and it's Zen Mode to be Fire/Psychic, because they are opposites. Hammer Arm, Superpower, Focus Punch, Brick Break, Rock Smash, and Focus Blast STAB would be cool too).
Pachurisu: Electric - Electric/Fairy(Same reason as Cherubi/Cherrim).
Glalie: Ice - Ice/Dark(Basically the same reason as Luxray. This guy also get's Dark Pulse and Payback. At the same time, the typing would contrast the Ice-Ghost typed Froslass, which Snorunt can also evolve into).

Now I realize that Mismagius, Ledyba, Ledian, Cherubi, Cherrim, Serperior, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Klink, Klank, Klinklank, Beartic, and Glalie would become 4x weak to certain types, which may be the reason behind them not getting the types I specified. I don't think this should stop the Pokemon creators from adding these types to these Pokemon though. If the type matches the Pokemon, then add it to the Pokemon. Thanks for reading my post, and comment on which Pokemon were left out, or which Pokemon shouldn't be on here.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The only reason anything was retconned in X/Y was the addition of the Fairy type - and since it is highly unlikely Sun/Moon will introduce ANOTHER type which would require retconning, the chances of anything getting its type changed are essentially fuck all.

So it's an amusing mental exercise but fairly pointless.

There are a lot of Gen 5 pokemon that I think could have more adventurous typing, but IIRC the thinking there was that it was going to be a gen that was largely cut off from the preceding games, and so we got a bunch of pokemon that were kind of repeats of earlier ones, like Sawk/Throh (Hitmons) and the Conkeldurr line (Machamp line). Luxray not being Electric/Dark always frustrates me. @_@

I could definitely see some of these for possible mega evolutions, like Grass/Dragon Serperior and Fire/Psychic Ninetales. (pls gamefreak mega ninetales and arcanine)

One thing I saw in a fan game that was pretty cool (although the sprites had atrocious MS Paint recolors) was the concept of Delta Pokemon, where the pokemon have greatly altered types like an electric Charizard or ice-type Houndoom and stuff like this. That might be a cool thing to play with in terms of the Sun/Moon motif of these games, like it's possible for pokemon to "moonlight" (haha) as a different type under certain conditions.

Vanillish/Vanilluxe: Ice - Ice/Steel(These guys get Mirror Shot, Iron Defense, and Automize, and Flash Cannon).

CHIPS A TOOTH ON DAT ICE CREAM

There are a lot of Gen 5 pokemon that I think could have more adventurous typing, but IIRC the thinking there was that it was going to be a gen that was largely cut off from the preceding games, and so we got a bunch of pokemon that were kind of repeats of earlier ones, like Sawk/Throh (Hitmons) and the Conkeldurr line (Machamp line). Luxray not being Electric/Dark always frustrates me. @_@

I could definitely see some of these for possible mega evolutions, like Grass/Dragon Serperior and Fire/Psychic Ninetales. (pls gamefreak mega ninetales and arcanine)

One thing I saw in a fan game that was pretty cool (although the sprites had atrocious MS Paint recolors) was the concept of Delta Pokemon, where the pokemon have greatly altered types like an electric Charizard or ice-type Houndoom and stuff like this. That might be a cool thing to play with in terms of the Sun/Moon motif of these games, like it's possible for pokemon to "moonlight" (haha) as a different type under certain conditions.

CHIPS A TOOTH ON DAT ICE CREAM
I feel Serperior should've been a Grass/Dragon from the beginning....

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm pretty sure people tried to shove Delta Species into fangames since that TCG expansion happened. I think the one instance I saw turned the Charizard line into some kind of a ghost dragon, the Venusaur line into a very derpy psychic fairy thing and the Blastoise line into a dark-fighting goddamn ninja turtle. It was wrong on so many levels. (Although the Delta Zard line sprites were pretty snazzy) XD

That said, the original concept of Delta species didn't even change the appearance of the Pokemon affected/mutated by the bizarro Holon Radio Waves (TM), which was fairly ridiculous really - especially when they still had elements of their type in their design. Kind of hard to buy into a Psychic Typhlosion or an Electric Charizard when they are still on fire, yet somehow unable to harness it.

Last edited:
That said, the original concept of Delta species didn't even change the appearance of the Pokemon affected/mutated by the bizarro Holon Radio Waves (TM), which was fairly ridiculous really - especially when they still had elements of their type in their design. Kind of hard to buy into a Psychic Typhlosion or an Electric Charizard when they are still on fire, yet somehow unable to harness it.

UGHHHHH yeah when I saw the crappy sprites for Pokemon Zeta Delta Pokemon I was like "I don't even GO here" but my fingers were still itching to recolor that Charizard and paste some thunderbolt crackles over the tail.

Let's be fair, Stel - if most of us were on fire, I think we'd be unable to harness it either, no matter what other talents we had.

[dryly] You'd be warm for the rest of your life, at least!

I thought Delcatty was part Fairy for a while until I found out it's still pure Normal. And yet Granbull is Fairy type -_-

Granbull's classification in the Pokedex is the Fairy Pokemon. It probably would have been more surprising if it wasn't retyped when Fairy was introduced.