• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. RP thread.

"Lucas, hey, yeah I, Lucas, okay I will stay seated for a minute. Just hear me out will you?" Jake managed to get some words in between the continuous insistence that he wouldn't stand up and climb back into the tree. (Which was pretty effective by the way, without it Jake might actually have tried.) "There's some kind of thingiemabob in the tree. I don't know what it was, some kind of non-tree object that started glowing just before all the Weedle evolved. I don't know if it sensed the evolution happening, predicted it or caused it, but I don't think it was an accident. Maybe it's related to one of those evolutionary stones. I saw a few of those back in the days," (Jake left out back in which days that was,) "they're weird, they look like they aren't completely real. I didn't get a good enough look at this thing, I don't even know if it's still there, but there was something about the glow of it that reminded me of them." ('Or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me and it was just some different species of mon evolving with all the Weedle,' Jake added in thought, 'but I'm pretty sure I saw something.')

"Ugh, my head. Okay, I'll lay down and shut up for a minute now."

'Note to self,' he added in more thoughts, 'when you get up properly greet Jordan with more than the quick nod you shared just then. What is that guy doing here anyway?'

Last edited:
Though that does beg the question, what else would be causing this bunch of Weedles in that one tree. During that thought process it seemed a few other things were going on as a few others had shown up that he hadn't before, another male and Female that appeared to be another batch of experienced Rangers like he wasn't, for now he and his partner mouse head up to this Ranger to introduce himself

"Hello there guys, nice to meet you, the names Andy, how about you both if I may ask?" being sure to excerize an air of politeness, especially since this one appeared to be his superior experience-wise. A look back at the tree of Weedles reveals many of them having turned into Kukunas, though this was hard to see before all the evolutions stopped happening, "All of them evolving at the same time? Don't see that too often really..." That did put a bit of a worry into both that this would happen again and everyone would be assaulted by a swarm of Beedrills, that could be very, very dicey to say the least, even for Jake's Rhyhorn.

Last edited:
Jordan blinked at the enthusiastic reaction from the snowy-haired young woman, both confused and glad that he could be useful, even if he wasn't quite sure what it was that he'd done. He snickered as Lucas fussed over Jake, though he didn't quite catch what they were saying, because one of the nearby recruits from Jake's team came up to introduce himself.

"Hey, Jordan Kreiss," he greeted after Andy had already interacted with Lucas. What the younger man said afterwards gave him a short pause. "You know, even though Kakuna aren't as mobile or poisonous as Weedle, they're still a lot heavier. Thorne here's pretty brawny, but Lefty's one of the strongest Pokémon on the force, and I'd bet he could haul a ton of 'em if he'd be willing."

He turned, addressing the Rhyhorn that looked to be giving him a blank look. "What do you think, big guy? Andy here and I could hook you up with some baskets, you wouldn't have to break a sweat." Of course, grass wasn't exactly the strongest material, and Lefty wasn't exactly known for his...delicate touch.

"I could always use the extra hands. The more the merrier, don't you think?"

Putting the finishing touches on her handiwork, she completed the first of many baskets to go. It was round, woven in an expanding coil and interwoven with grassy threads that held the construct together. It was rather large and could hold up to 5 Kakuna -perhaps, even more, should they be stacked together. "If you don't mind could you collect more grass for me? Or perhaps I could teach you a simple pattern to weave?" Turning her attention to Taylor, Wynter matched the girl's smile with a sly smirk of her own, pushing the completed basket to the side.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Lucas
Lucas heard the recruit introduce himself, and was surprised he didn't notice him earlier. Either way he introduced himself, "Hi Andy, I'm Lucas. My sister is currently off with my partner because he's injured, but I'll introduce you two later if you want." It hurt to say Cobalt was injured, he needed to see it with his own eyes. The only problem was that Jake seemed to be babbling about something glowing. He then saw a device near the tree that seemed to have the same glow as the Weedle when they were evolving. It seemed very advanced compared to what he'd seen usually. It might have been the cause of the mass evolution of Weedle. Heck it might even be what attracted all the Weedle to the tree. He picked up the device to try to analyze it better.

Aubrey
Aubrey was freaking out about Cobalt, which probably wasn't making it any easier on Frank. She was surprised Lucas hadn't come down to check on him. She figure he must be dealing with something at the main sight. Her little brother had really grown up in his time with the rangers. She had come here to protect him, but she had only messed everything up. After they were done with these Weedle she planned on telling him the truth. She would let him be mad at her, and she would leave if she wanted him too. She couldn't stand the guilt eating at her.

Lefty stared at the man talking to him. He was one of those people you keep running into. Sometimes he carried treats too. Mmmh, treats. But this didn't seem like a treat moment, so Lefty just kind of stared at him. Then he heard the word "break". Did something need breaking? O boy. Lefty sprung up a bit and started wagging its tiny tail.

To be fair, he would have reacted the same way to the word "drag" or "lift". The Rhyhorn would be fine with heavy lifting as long as it didn't mean being covered in stinging insects. And even that would mostly just be annoying until first the itch and then the more serious symptoms set in.

As Jake got up, Lefty turned towards to him enthusiastically. He was going to get to break something, and his partner was up again. Done for now with being a fragile human, always needing rest and care. O joy. Now they might get to break something together. There might even be a treat.

Jake noticed Lefty was just the slightest tad more enthusiastic than he should be around now, but he knew that whatever was going on in that head his partner wouldn't be too disappointed if things didn't go as expected. For as long as he knew the beast Lefty had been a glass half full Rhyhorn.

Petting Lefty over the head Jake pulled up next to Jordan. The two went a pretty long way back, with Jordan having joined up not too long after Jake became a ranger proper. Their paths to being a ranger had been different, but because of Jordan's background in trade and being on the road Jake always felt a certain connection when talking to him. The journey as your destination, a strict schedule yet all the time in the world, that's why Jake got into search and rescue. It was the main part of his more unrangerlike past that he hung on to. "Hi," Jake said while sticking out his hand, "I didn't catch all of that, but knowing you I'm going to assume it was a jab about being too old to fall out of trees. Maybe something with overripe fruit in it." The older ranger smiled and added "how are you doing?"

The men shared a laugh and a greeting, but just when Jake was about to ask what kind of assignment Jordan was here on Jake noticed that Lucas seemed to have found something. "What's that Lucas?" Jake asked, just too late to see the strange glow faint away. "Did something fall out of the tree?"

"Out of this tree I mean, not that one."

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Taylor had a grin, as she moved to work on her own basket while Star looked on with interest and the occasional aid of placing a claw on it to tie a section through. Taylor had done some craft work as a kid, though naturally she favored exploration of the outdoors. Still that had not hampered her capability to wove a basket together and soon enough she produced her own model which seemed good to hold about 2-3 Kakuna if she had to compare to Wynter.

"Man, you must be good at this." Taylor complimented as she noted Wynter's larger basket sides and flashed a friendly smile back at Wynter as she worked on her next one.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Lucas
"I don't think it fell out of the tree, but I do think it caused all the Weedle to evolve. My hypothesis is that it was set on an internal timer, like those new alarm clock things. Whoever put it there must have known that the Weedle were going to gather at around this time." Lucas found this concerning, it means that people planned a mass evolution, trying to mess with nature. Lucas wasn't sure who did it, or if they were coming back, but he had to make sure they got all of the Kakuna out of the area before they did.

Last edited:
"Alright, I need you to hold Cobalt still. Flailing around can cause more damage than he already has." Frank said as he put his ear on Cobalt's stomach and softly began to poke it. It all sounded natural, no fluids were sloshing around and the resistance was nothing serious. "Surprisingly, no internal bleedings but don't make him do too much for the next two weeks. If you do find blood in his urine, droppings or if he throws up blood I will have to open him up."

"Okay, let's see. This might hurt, so hold him tight." He began to move Cobalt's limbs and reached into his medkit soon afterwards. "Broken leg and bruised arms. I have some splints here, but I don't really want to use so much bandage on it. We'll see how this will go." Frank began to splint the legs and wrapped bandages around it to keep the splints in place. "Okay, now to keep it in place. Do me a favor and keep the bandage there for a minute. I'll try to find a twig." He said as he entered the forest.

There were twigs, more than enough but Frank didn't pay attention to them. He knew what he was looking for and those twigs were not it, too fragile to last long enough. "Come on, I have to be able to find atleast one solid twig." A sweet aroma wafted through the area, catching Frank's attention. He began to follow it, knowing full well that getting distracted was not allowed but this scent smelled so good that he had to follow it. Eventually he arrived at the source of the scent, a large plant hanging from the branches of a tree. Frank's euphoria disappeared and made place for loud warning bells.

This scent and the large plant could only mean one thing; this was a hungry Carnivine. "Well, we found a Grass type. But I can't move it without getting bit." He mulled to himself as his eye saw that one of the 'teeth' of the Carnivine was digging into its mouth. It probably wasn't hungry but it just wanted some relief from the pain. "Okay, I need to be quick and careful for this." Frank pulled out his knife and a flask filled with a green liquid. He gulped before cutting the troublesome tooth out of the mouth and quickly dripped some of the liquid on the wound before backing off. He now had something to keep the bandage in place, but the Carnivine took notice of his existence and lunged at the medic.

Frank waited for the teeth to sink into his flesh, but that never happened. Instead he found a weight to wrap around his body, as if he was being hugged. He opened his eyes and found the Carnivine, wrapped around his body yet not trying to harm him. "Do..do you want to thank me?" He asked, still a bit unnerved by the Pokémon around him. He could still move, yet the Bug Catcher Pokémon did not seem willing to let go of its new toy. "Fine by me, we needed a Grass type anyway." He shrugged and made his way back towards Cobalt, taking longer than before due to his new weight. Eventually he returned and used the tooth to keep the bandage from loosening up. "That should do it, this Carnivine is bothersome though." He said towards Aubrey

Last edited:
Jordan laughed at Lefty's antics; age sure didn't dilute personality, that was true of both the Rhyhorn and its partner. "I wouldn't dream of it," Jordan replied to Jake, giving a cheeky grin and taking the man's hand to shake. "I've been doing pretty good, just got separated from my own team on an assignment."

He was then curious as to what it was that Lucas seemed to have found, but trusted him and Jake to get to the bottom of it while he continued with his task for the time being. He took the rope from his belt and began showing Andy how to tack up the Rhyhorn to carry the baskets being prepared only a short distance away, his hands falling easily to the familiar task.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Aubrey
Aubrey was a bit surprised when the medic kid came back with the Carnivine, it even made her laugh. The kid also brought back a tree branch and strapped it to Cobalt. She wasn't quite sure how that was supposed to help Cobalt, but she wasn't really in a place to complain. "So this will fix him, right? How soon will he be able to move again, and how soon will he be able to dance and play like his old self. Should I take him back to my brother while you deal with... this situation." Aubrey was worried about Cobalt but more worried about her brother. She didn't want to see him heartbroken over his best friend, so she kept bombarding Frank with questions hoping to get the answer that he would be better almost immediately.

Frank adjusted the Carnivine into a more comfortable position for himself and held up his finger. "Shush, you'll scare Cobalt by talking so much. I did everything I could to aid his recovery, so he should be up and running in about couple of weeks or so if he doesn't do anything reckless. If he moves more than he should due to playing or something, the recovery can take up to a couple of months. Slowly let him move after recovering and slowly build up until he can do anything he used to do. You can take him back to your brother if you are gentle with him, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you're not sure about something. That's what I am here for after all, along with keeping you guys alive."

Frank beckoned Aubrey to follow him as he made his way back to the others, looking back every so often to see the Carnivine and grinned. Although not a Poison type, he still loved the Bug Cather Pokémon like no other. Not to mention his sweet scent could be useful if he ever needed something to dull the senses of someone he had to open up and his vines could keep someone from bleeding out. And that was just the help it could provide on the medical field, it was also rather useful in other areas. "I sure am lucky with you aren't I?" He said with a grin as he began to stroke the head of the Carnivine who seemed to enjoy it. "If you are gonna stay with me, you'll need a name. But what gender are you exactly? Can't really tell by looking at you. Aubrey, could you do me a favor and look in its mouth? If you see nothing out of the ordinary, it is a male. If you see a small extension in the back of the mouth, it is a female."

Jake looked over the weird box-device-thing. It was the size of a small closet and *try, try* could probably be lifted by two strong blokes. There was definitely more to that weight than just the wood of the box. (Jake's mother did teach him you look with your eyes, not your hands, but he had unlearned this since. The box looked inactive now anyway.) The box looked pretty new. It certainly wasn't made by any master carpenter, too many small chips missing and not enough curly woodwork, but whoever had made it had used some pretty thick planks and the whole thing seemed sturdy enough. The front of the box (defined here as the side that looked the most interesting) featured several bolts with wing nuts on them. Screwing the nuts raised and lowered the bolts out of the box. Maybe better leave those in place for now. This was probably how they had been when Jake started screwing, pretty sure. A small needle hovered over a bunch of stripes labeled, uhhm... 'Primary Spring Tension'?, fancy words for a wooden box. As Jake tapped on the box the needle fell the last little tick towards the stripe on the opposite end of the one marked with 'full'. Another little needle was still twitching a bit on some round markings. There was text here too: 'Main Activity Vat Pressure'? Was that what it said? As Jake looked around he couldn't really find a way to open this thing up. Like it never needed to be opened or like whatever was inside should be hard to fiddle with if you don't know what you're doing.

Jake looked around, slightly out of his element. He had seen a little of the world, but even as a sailor he had worked on an actual sailing vessel. You know, ropes and pulleys, not valves and levers. He addressed the people close by: "Jordan, Wynter, Taylor, Celia, Andy, and of course you Lucas, what do you think? Have Lefty bust it open?" After a short pause he added: "A box like this would not explode or something right?"

(OOC: If this was on the ground hiding behind a bush or something anyway it might as well be somewhat big and unwieldy, I figured. Right?)

Last edited:
"I've been doing it my whole life after all." Speckles of pride appeared in her voice and expression as Taylor complimented her rope-work. "My mother taught me, we used to make woven tapestries, baskets, and other handicrafts to sell them. It brought in a little more income, and we needed all the money we could get. Feeding a family of five in the Haruba desert can be quite the task." Musing at the memory, a fond smile came to Wynter's face. With renewed vigor, she began putting another basket together.

Interrupted by the sound of Jake's voice, Wynter looked over -her head thrown over her shoulder. She cocked an eyebrow in befuddlement as she scrutinized the mechanical contraption of wood and bolts. If the thing was anywhere near as hefty as it looked, then it would be quite the pain to move ...however. "Maybe we should...take it back to the ranger base? Destroying it seems kind of like a waste, no?"

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"But a task you and your mother seemed well suited for. I have to admit, knowing that only makes me respect you that much more." Taylor said with a smile before she overheard Jake's comment as Wynter seemed to make a suggestion of her own based off it and Taylor had to agree with her.

"I agree, but we should probably be careful about the transport." Taylor advised, as Star lept off Taylor's shoulder while she wove baskets as she moved over by Jake to get a closer look at this item of question. "Be careful Star!" Taylor called out as she her partner heard it and had been mindful not to get too close as she made her observation.

Jordan tightened his last knot and tilted his head to admire their work, grinning. It didn't look half bad, ready for cargo, although Lefty looked less enthusiastic about the setup than before. Nevertheless, he gave the Rhyhorn's tough hide a few friendly pats before looking to where some of his colleagues were clearing the bushes away from some kind of box. Curious, he rose to his feet and approached the small group, trying to get a better look. As he came closer, he found that the object was quite unlike anything else he'd ever seen. After Jake had addressed the group, he nodded in agreement with the young women's suggestions to bring it with them to base, finding the idea reasonable.

"Lucas, you said it might've been used to force the Weedle to evolve?" He asked, the idea making him the slightest bit uneasy. He addressed no one in particular when he wondered his next thought aloud. "Could it be some kind of prototype from Puel Industrial, up north? I know they mostly work with steam engines up there, but I'd bet it'd take the smartest engineers around to pull something like that off." (?)

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Lucas
"I must admit I would enjoy being able to study this device more closely. It might give us some insight into who left this here and why they did. Transport will be difficult, but I feel like if Lefty and Thorne work together they can do it. If Lefty carries it on his back ad Thorne uses his vines to give it some support we should be fine. We should wait to worry about that once we are done with the Kakuna though. How much longer do we have before your done with the baskets." Lucas was keeping his cool in front of the group, but he couldn't help wondering what was taking Frank and Aubrey so long. He hoped it wasn't too bad, but he feared the worst. Scarlet was also trying to reach out to Cobalt to no avail. Lucas had never seen her in such a bad mood. This worried him, but he had to stay focused.

Aubrey
"A few weeks?!? But Lucas will be crushed when he sees Cobalt like this. Is there nothing you can do to speed up the process? I just can't stand to see him upset." Aubrey was worried about Lucas, but she was more upset with herself for letting this happen. She needed it to be fixed. It was the one thing on her mind right now.

Frank stopped and turned around, looking Aubrey straight into her eyes. "I am a medic, but that doesn't mean I can heal everything. I did everything in my power to give Cobalt a big chance of recovery whilst keeping the complications at a minimum. I can advice some pain killing berries, but that's it. Right now all we can do is give Cobalt some rest and wait. There is no reason to meddle with the body if it can heal itself, otherwise you might do more harm than good. I get that Lucas will be saddened by this, but these injuries are not as severe as they could've been. Tell him that if he tries to blame you for putting him in such a condition." He said in a sympathatic voice. "Let's go back, shall we? The sooner we get insulted, the sooner it will be over."

"Good point, we might as well get someone with the right education to have a look at it", Jake said. "Although I do have to point out the obvious I'm affraid. Lefty is strong, but there's no way we're tying all of these Kakuna and this fancy box here to the guy and have him run past the nearest ranger base in Vientown to Pueltown to find a mechanic to look at this thing while also dropping off the Kakuna at Logger's end before they evolve again and check out the Chicole area we were originally headed for."

Jake looked around the group as the last of the Weedle poison-woozyness cleared up in his head. He added: "It's decision time. The Kakuna will be a lot harder to catch and move once they become Beedrill, the box might get anonymously retrieved by whoever put it here if we leave it behind and the trappers could be long gone with even two days of delay. We could split up now that Jordan en Lucas are here to take some official responsibility, and between Lefty and Thorne we even have quite some lifting capacity, but I don't think we can make it to four places at ones."

Last edited:

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Aubrey
Aubrey realized Frank was right. She felt like an idiot. Lucas would be so angry and hurt and upset and... it was all her fault. She was grateful to frank for doing everything he could. "You're right we need to head back. I think I remember the way. Who knows, maybe he'll be too busy laughing at the huge Carnivine wrapped around your body to be sad." The joke was supposed to help lighten her mood, but it just made her feel worse by reminding her how sad her brother would be. She had to face that pain anyway and move forward.

Lucas
Lucas contemplated for a second and got out his notebook to try and sketch out a plan. He knew they would have to deal with the Kakuna first and foremost as they would be evolving soon. Beedrill are hard to handle in large numbers so it's a good idea to avoid that kind of situation at all costs. He didn't want whoever left the machine there to come back and take it, so he thought the most logical option would be to dissect it right here in the middle of the forest. This way, if the culprit did come back for the machine, they would have to go through a ranger. Then again, He probably needed some actual muscle to help fend off the culprit. Then we need a team to go ahead of the rest to check out the trappers and make sure they don't get away.

"Our best bet is to form three teams. The first team should be Jake, Taylor, and Aubrey when she gets back. You will go ahead to check on the Trappers. I know I shouldn't be bringing Aubrey into this because she's a civilian, but we don't have a lot of options right now. She's pretty strong and can maybe even provide something good to eat instead of the stuff that we usually bring on outings. Next up is a group containing Jordan, Wynter, Frank, Lefty, And Thorne. They will be delivering the Kakuna. It's a big job so we need our two strongest pokemon in the field. We need Wynter in case one of the baskets break and Frank, once he gets back, in case the Kakuna turn into Beedrill and sting everyone. Jordan as another experienced Ranger can lead the mission. Andy, you're with me (OOC: is the girl with the lycanroc still doing this rp? If she is then she would also be with Lucas.). I want to be able to study this machine, but we don't have time to get it down to the ranger station. I'm no good in a fight, so if the guy who left this here comes back I'll be basically defenseless. I need you to help capture him if he comes back. Jake what do you think"

"Who knows? Surely someone will laugh about it, and I am one of them. Personally, I think that Lucas is just happy to see Cobalt still alive. If he wants to insult us, I'll tell him what happened here. That is if Carnivine doesn't scare him off." Frank said with a grin as Carnivine opened its mouth in agreement. "We've kept the others waiting long enough, let's go Aubrey." He beckoned her to follow him as he made his way back to the others. "We should be able to be back at the Weedle in no time, do you know a name for this piggyback rider? I'd like to give them a name."

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Aubrey
"My names are all boring. I would probably just call him something stupid like bitey, or in this one's case Sir Hugs-a-lot." This certainly helped calm her down before they reached the clearing where the others were waiting. She took one final look at Cobalt and Frank before going to talk to her brother. "Lucas... I'm sorry. He's going to be ok, Frank assured me of that much, but the fall hurt him a lot. He fell out of a tree and..." At this point, she is crying trying to tell her brother the truth, but she can't admit what she has done. It didn't help that Scarlet rushed over to see Cobalt as soon as she saw him.

Lucas
As Lucas was still trying to make sure he had come up with the best course of action he heard his sister. She was carrying Cobalt, and it was worse than he imagined. He had bruises in many places, and most of his limbs had make-shift splints. He wanted to tear up at the sight, but he saw how distraught Aubrey was. He didn't feel like putting her through more pain by seeing him cry. He sucked in his pain and gave a very soft smile. "Hey, it's ok. I'm honestly just glad he'll be ok. (To Frank) Thank you for taking care of him. (Back to Aubrey) You don't have to worry about it right now. I'm just glad the two of you are safe. Besides we have some issues to take care of at the moment. I may need you to end up going to find these poachers with Jake." He took Cobalt from her arms and set him down in the most comfortable place he could find.

Aubrey
Aubrey was surprised at her brother's reaction to the news, he took it surprisingly well. She still wanted to tell him the truth, but she would wait until they were in a more stable location and there weren't a hundred Kakuna. She stopped crying and started actually listening to what the others had to say. She was going to make everything up to her brother, she had too.

Frank laughed as Aubrey came up with Sir Hugs-a-lot, the ridicule of the name was just amazing. "Sir Hugs-a-lot is an amazing name, but maybe something that's easier to say. What about Audrey?" At the mention of Audrey, Carnivine cried out. "Guess that settles it, your name is now Audrey. Never mind the inevitable confusion that this will create." When they arrived at the clearing and Lucas thanked him, he waved it away. "Please, I was just doing what I am trained for." He did appreciate the thanks though. "So our little pest problem got bigger and less mobile, hopefully they will stay like that until they are delivered to Logger's End."

As the group came together on the clearing Jake scratched his head for a moment and spoke, "As ambitious as always I see. It may be the poison talking, but I think we'd be spreading ourselves too thin that way. Between the fresh recruits, the civilian, no offense meant, and the partners splitting off from their mon, we could use slightly more solid teams. That's why I propose we handle this box thing a little differently. The first change is we make drawings of it. I've seen you doodle in that notebook before Lucas, take a few hours to get the details right, pry the thing open if you can, try not to damage it. Afterwards you and your sister join the Logger's End Team. That takes you in the direction of Pueltown, either before or after the drop make a stop there, whatever works for your team. As you already said, Jordan should be in this team as well, directing Thorne and Lefty. Sorry buddy, you'll have to do without me for a while. Wynter should probably go with the nets as well. The second change is that we mark the box with the smell of one of our partners. Celia, would Zian be up for tracking that? Taylor might also be good to have here to assist in the search. Our team goes to check out Chicole Village and circles back towards the box. If it turns out the trappers we came after and whoever left this have anything to do with each other, despite their differing technological preference, even better. Since Frank is from this area, I'd prefer it if we got him as our medic, so you should take Andy." (OOC: It doesn't look like I'm forgetting people, but it sure feels like it...)

Jake looks around the group, not sure what to add for a moment. Then he decides on a final "Oh and Lucas, Aubrey? Thanks for the berries. Good to see you've got my back."

Last edited:

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Lucas
Lucas was a bit discouraged when he heard Jake didn't want to use his plan, but he had to admit it was a bit ambitious to try and split up into teams that small. He found Jake's new suggestion to be plausible and he was eager to give it a shot. He also was surprised at that comment at the end there. "Oh, uhh... No problem sir, just doing what any ranger would for a friend." He was proud to get the comment, and it gave him a slight pick-me-up from the incident with Cobalt. This gave Cobalt some time to rest before they had to move, and Lucas some time to analyze the box. He knew he had the best partner watching his back. After all, she's been doing it for 5 years. "I'll get right to the sketch and we'll meet up with you later Jordan. I've got a map to Logger's End in my notebook, so we should be there in no time."

Aubrey
Aubrey was happy she got to stay with her brother for a while. It gave her time to make everything up to him, hopefully. She stayed silent when given the order, still stunned from the fact that Lucas had forgiven her so easily. "Thank you again for helping Cobalt and helping me face Lucas. You were truly a tremendous help. Hope you figure out your little plant problem" She had to say thank you once more to Frank before he left. He was such a good friend to her, even though she was really annoying and he had just met her.

"You got it sir, I'll be with the group that goes to Chicole Village and heal anyone who's hurt. Although Audrey might discourage any attackers that we can come across. Lefty might want to refrain from angering her, as we all know how well he can take Grass moves." Frank said with a grin as he pointed his thumb at the Bug Cather Pokémon.

He waved Aubrey's thanks away. "It was nothing, I just did what everyone here would've done. I believe that I can figure out how to get Audrey to let go within this week, in the meantime it is some nice training. Some upper body strength is never a bad thing." Frank said as he shrugged with a grin.

Wynter's face blossomed with pleasure as Taylor complimented the craft her mother had passed down to her -it was her pride and joy after all. Her grin didn't abate, her expression radiant while swiftly putting the finishing touches on her woven baskets. With her part done, she stood by, the rangers ironing out a plan of action while she herself took far more interest in Mysu's frolic about the dandelions. When the decision was made, she simply saluted -well, not quite.

The word simple couldn't have been an adjective further from the truth. As she rose to her feet, it wasn't with the casual extending of the knees and back, but instead, she'd extended a single leg, almost as if in a split, with the tip of her toe pointed outwardly. With a slow but graceful withdrawal, her legs reunited as she stood and then peaked atop the tips of her toes. As she lowered herself onto the balls of her feet, what accompanied the motion was bending knees and the deliberate but skillful gyration of her shoulders and waist in sync. Her body was boneless, like a serpent, and in concert with the display of flexibility by her torso her elbows, wrists, and fingers got to work with ephemeral gestures. She twirled on the spot, a steady rotation that matched the spiraling motion of Mysu's tail and the feline pranced about before its human partner. With a dramatic flourishing finish, she struck a pose -a Ranger pose, a Ranger salute. The unique series of actions performed by each ranger upon the acceptance or completion of a mission.

She'd heard about it by chance while at the Training school and had instantly been enamored. Being from the Haruba Desert she was most familiar with the sensual, expressive dances of the desert so that's what she went for. That being said though -her Ranger pose was still a work in process, and it made its debut, Wynter's cheeks went scarlet. Doing this in front of people was far different than doing it in front of Mysu.

Stiffly, but with great speed, the Ranger Trainee departed after accepting her mission. Leaving her team, and more importantly embarrassment, behind. Having escaped the impending need to face the reactions of her audience, Wynter heaved a breath of relief. Now, there was only one problem. "Eh...what were we supposed to do again?" The white-haired girl blinked at the expanse of forest before her and turned to Mysu. "Did you catch what Jake was saying, girl?"

In response, the Glameow mewled, stretched, turned in place several times, pawed the ground, and settled down for what appeared to be a nap.

As each basket was finished, Jordan collected them and fastened them to both tacks, if one could really call them that. With the short notice and limited supplies on hand, the most he could really put together for cargo-carrying was a couple of makeshift harnesses. It wasn't pretty, but it was functional and able to support the baskets and the weight within. As he worked, he was impressed at the integrity of the basins; even though they were made from grass and other natural materials, they felt pretty tough and durable. Even so, he needed to be careful not to put too much weight on either side to throw off the Thorne or Lefty's balance; too much jostling would weaken the baskets or the makeshift harnesses themselves, and he wanted the pair to be comfortable. It was a long trip to Logger's End, after all, especially considering that a good portion of it would be spent climbing.

Once the baskets were fixed, he moved to begin loading the bug-types into their containers, listening to Jake and Lucas's efforts to come up with a plan as he did so. Thorne's long vines were perfect for reaching the ones higher up in the tree, and with Andy's help it didn't take long before they were loading the last of them into the baskets. The tough carapaces were warm to the touch he noticed, but the feeling wasn't necessarily unpleasant, just a reminder that the creatures were very much alive and working tirelessly within, just like they themselves were. Jordan grinned as he placed a particularly moody Kakuna into one of Thorne's baskets. It wasn't strugging, of course, but it sure was glaring at him something fierce.

He looked up in sudden surprise as he was assigned to the Logger's End team to direct Thorne and Lefty. He understood their reasoning, but couldn't help feeling a little uneasy. After all, he'd dropped, quickly and quite unceremoniously, into their group, and with Lucas staying behind for the time being that left him with a small group of unfamiliar recruits fresh out of bootcamp. Talk about pressure. His momentary uneasiness was interrupted as he registered movement to his side, and he turned to see the weaver stand, movements fluid and steps delicate as falling snow as she performed a unique and graceful Ranger's salute. The elegance was short-lived, though; her skin soon darkened to a flushed crimson, and with the way it stood out in sharp contrast to her frosty hair, Jordan couldn't help but snicker at the image. He was quick to regret the slip, however, as the trainee abruptly turned and fled into the forest.

"Wait...!" Jordan called, but she'd already disappeared into the brush. He winced at his own thoughtlessness, but it looked like that was their cue to head north as well. He followed in the same direction, tugging lightly at one of Thorne's horns and bidding a quick farewell to the twins. He led the Gogoat and Rhyhorn through the trees, scanning for their missing teammate and assuming that Andy would soon follow. Predictably, their pace was more slow-going than it would've otherwise been; even though the pair could easily carry a load of this weight, Jordan needed to keep the Pokémon from moving too fast and jostling their cargo. Soon enough, he caught a flicker of white, and he sped up to a more brisk walk. "Hey, wait up!" He called. "I know we've got a long way to go, but no need to rush."

jade421

Previously Sarah316
The second change is that we mark the box with the smell of one of our partners. Celia, would Zian be up for tracking that? Taylor might also be good to have here to assist in the search. Our team goes to check out Chicole Village and circles back towards the box.

Taylor listened as she finished her latest basket, as they were not being split into teams for this mission and she had been tasked with being part of the tracking team it would appear. While is was not as spectacular as Wynter getting to her feet with her partner, Taylor and Star got their feet as they gave a salute to let the group know she and Star had been more than eager to accept the call to duty.

"If you want me to help with the search me and Star are ready and waiting." Taylor said as Star climbed on her shoulder while the Shinx let out a little battle cry and smiled as it confirmed what Taylor said as both trainer and Pokemon seemed eager and prepared to go.

All right, get to see what this Chicole Village is like. Tracking is defiantly more action packed than basket weaving, not that there is anything wrong with that or anything but now might be the chance for some added excitement!

One thing to take note of when addressing a group in the outdoors is that you should be the one looking into the sun, not them. That way everyone else can see you, and only one person gets annoyed. The method has two downsides: 1 The person getting annoyed is you, and 2, you might miss some details about the people you're speaking to, like the slithering mass of grassy tentacles Frank now introduced as Audrey. Jake took a second take at the intertwined pair. 'O hey, that's new', he thought. Frank seemed to be quite happy with the arrangement, so Jake assumed he didn't need help getting the mon off, and simply said "I like the new outfit. Looks heavy, but I'm sure she'll be very useful."

Jake had never been the most ranger saluty person, 'Is that a term? Pretty sure it is...' , but all the cool kids seemed to do it. It was a signal of comradery and unity that still let the user express themselves individually. (OOC: I try to think of Jake as not using too much long words and expensive language, not stupid, but not overly educated either. But it seems I'm entirely incapable of thinking up actual simple sentences, so this'll have to do.) The poses weren't just a hit among the rangers, they were cool in the eyes of the public, and being thought of as cool was always good. So Jake clapped out a small amount of applause while doing his best "this is not sarcastic, you should totally keep doing that" face. The blush that appeared on Wynter's cheeks didn't make it very clear to Jake whether he did that face right.

Jake then went on for his last bit of public speaking: "Okay, all the trackers that are coming with the Southern team, get the scent of Scarlet. I suggest she stays with you for now Lucas, because I don't think you'll want us to mark this box before you're done sticking your nose in it." In thought he added: 'It also helps that Plusle isn't the most suspicious scent out there, lower chance to spook whoever put this thing here.' "Okay Frank, you're on point again, show us the way."

While Frank got his bearings and started going, Jake had two more things to say. One of them was: "Who's a good Rhyhorn? Who's a good Rhyhorn? Yes, it's you, isn't it? You're a good Rhyhorn. I'm going to miss you buddy, hope to see you again soon." The other one was aimed at Jordan: "Take care of the bugger will you? Me and Morris both would be very sad if anything happened to him." He brightened up and only half-jokingly said: "Not that anything ever does happen to this guy of course. If you're about to get hit by a train, throw Lefty in front of it. Oh, and also, if you do make it to Logger's end, could you pick me up a new hat at mrs. Peabody? I know the whole point is that you come in yourself for the free cup of tea, that's what makes them better than any other old hat, but I'm not going that way, and I'm too grumpy to buy myself anything less. He's the copper for it, get a nice darker shade of brown for me with a good rim."

The ranger smiled goodbye to the group headed north, petted Lefty one more time, and with an ankle that was just slightly complaining from having to land the fall out of the tree earlier (his old knee injury seemed to have avoided the impact pretty well) he stepped off after his group.

Last edited:
"She will be of great use Sir, don't worry! Not to mention this is great exercise for me." Frank said with a grin as he petted Audrey on her head. "Alright folks, everyone who is on the Chicole Team should follow me!" The medic in training said as he lifted his hand and made his way to Chicole Village. "Okay, can anyone give me a quick rundown of what I missed when looking for a Grass type? The Weedle evolved, what else?"

South

And so the half-team moved south along the small paths snaking through the Vientown-Chicole area forests. Frank was leading the way while being updated on the situation. Celia, Taylor and Jake each chipped in with details and witty lines. It's unclear whether it actually gave Frank a good idea of what happened, but it made time go by quickly. Travel was not as smooth as it had been on the main road, but for a while it was close. The path they were threading had apparently been used quite a bit recently and was kept pretty open that way. This changed as they came past a Y in the track. The more open of their two options curved back towards Vientown, so the group decided to push on over the lesser traveled path, which had its share of overhanging branches, mildly obstructing bushes and slippery patches of moss. What helped was that the lower two foot or so of the path was a bit more open than the top, presumably because of wild Pokémon using this route through the forest. So even the worst of obstructions could be passed with a little bit of ducking. When they crossed another path Jake noticed grooves in the ground. He stopped to look at them. Jake only now noticed the light was already dimming and it was getting harder to see details, but this he could still see.

"Hey guys," he said, "does this look like drag marks to anyone else?"

North

The group going north had kept the pace up. Aubrey was pretty fast for a civilian in the woods, and in the denser parts of the forest Lefty got his baskets hooked on a branch a few times, making him hurry to catch up ones freed. Jordan, Wynter and Andy helped him well though, and as they went north the route became clearer. Late in the afternoon it became clear why, the forest opened up around Almia river and the Vien Forest bridge crossing it. The well traveled road to Pueltown stretched out ahead of them. The road wasn't a straight line, in this hilly area it meandered a bit, like the river it crossed, but it was the fastest way north. Travel went smooth, which was why they hadn't seen Lucas yet as darkness was coming in around them and it became clear they wouldn't make it to proper civilization before the fall of night. They soon came up on the second group of other travelers they had spotted in the short time they'd been on this road. Ahead of them were two women with a big Houndour and a strong looking Doduo. One of the women looked a few years too old to still be doing this, but it was hard to tell whether it was really age or just a hard life that you saw on her face. The younger woman could be her daughter or if she really was that old even her granddaughter and was talking to the pair of Pokémon in a gentle voice that sounded like you'd imagine the voice of a good singer. The tough looking Houndour and Doduo were pulling a two wheeled cart loaded with farm products. As expertly as the cart was loaded it still wobbled around on its single axle, and the Pokémon looked tired and ready to stop for the night.

Of course, Lefty was mostly wondering if he could have some of those carrots. He'd been a good boy today, he certainly deserved it. Right?

Last edited:
Frank enjoyed catching up to speed with the rest of the group, especially due to the witty remarks made here and there. The path they were on was not exactly well travelled, but he didn't mind it. He knew it like the back of his hand and knew exactly where to go, not to mention Audrey was kind enough to bite some overhanging branches off. He stopped in his tracks when Jake found something akin to drag marks.

"You're right, but why are they here? The industrial parts are to the north and to be frank, Chicole Village isn't big enough to go up in the masses. These must be from the poachers, but I don't see any footprints up ahead. Where could they be?" The medic whispered, as if the poachers were right next to him.

'Easy to say when you're not the one being laughed at...', levying an accusatory gaze at Jordan, a chief offender himself, Wynter huffed, turned away and pouted sulkily. Refusing to talk to the other ranger, but acquiescing to his request, she continued her walk at a much slower pace. She kept her head down, face still slightly flushed with embarrassment, and fell in line behind the other ranger. She still didn't actually know where they were going and didn't exactly want to ask and risk embarrassing herself further. Perhaps her only comfort in the entire situation was Msyu as the Glameow weaved about between her legs, it's soft fur tickling her legs. It brought a slight smile to her face, but she was still rather upset.

EDIT: See the post labeled "OOC note" at the end of this double-post train. Summary: ignore these.

OOC: I've been in contact with Keleboom over PM, I will now go play a secondary character and apply a bit of retcon magic. Jeffrey didn't bump into Wynter, instead, he bumped into:...

The man stumbled when Jeffrey hit him. Having found his footing, he turned around. Before Jeffrey stood an old man, dark skinned, slightly hunched over but with a fire in his eyes. The man wore an outfit that was positively too outdoorsy for a regular stroll through Puell Town and her harbor. He had a warm and heavy looking cape and everything. On a mildly grumpy tone the old man said "please watch it young man, I'm not as steady on my feet as I used to be you know. Since I stopped working things have been going downhill. Must be all the gardening."

Jeffrey said "Oh! Sorry there partner! I just... I just have a lot to think about right now. I may have actually came from Kanto... The stuff I seen there was too bad." Jeffrey would walk off feeling embarrassed, but they still wanted to find a place to stay.

"Bad, you say? Don't go telling me about bad. I've seen bad. I've seen lots of bad. It never sleeps you know, bad? Horrible badness. But where are my manners? You must be tired after weeks of trying to sleep on that big noisy machine you just stepped off of. There's a good inn for spending a while down the road. You can spend the night there, but as it's still early why don't you and I have a cup of tea first? I'll walk you there. And then you can tell me all about the bad stuff. Someone must keep an eye on those things, might as well be me."

"By the way, I never introduced myself. The name is Morris, Morris Foot. And if you dislike bad things as much as I do, I might have a proposition for you."

More OOC: This conversation does not necessarily take place at for the rest of us the current timepoint in the story. There might be a minor time skip for travel time later on that syncs this Jeffrey up with the rest of the gang.

Last edited:
"Sparks huh? Now let me see..."

The old man bends over, it looks kind of supple for a guy his age, and plucks some weeds from between the cobblestones. He rubs them between his fingers, together with his coat. "This usually works on the smaller electric ones, let's see..." He then holds out his hand, palm up, as still and non-shaky as his age allows him, at some distance from the Pikachu, and a little higher up. He looks near but not at the Pokémon, as he moves his head about just a little bit and makes some slight whistling sounds. Sparks seems to calm down a little, and after some hesitation sniffs Morris' fingers.

(OOC: That is, if you're okay with your Pikachu doing that.)

The old man tells Jeffrey: "It's amazing, I know. I've had some time to learn the tricks. O, look, here's our in. Let's get inside for that tea I'm buying you."

As the two men sat down in the cosily shaded inn and got themselves some steamy hot drinks, Morris said: "Okay, now it's your turn. Tell me your tale. And then tell me what you wish you could do about it."

"Throwing Pikachus at the floor? Bunch of hooligans. Could use a good paddling, those boys." The man in the travelers cape gave Jeffrey an piercing, intentful look, as if he was judging him. He then continued: "You know, here in Almia, we have something against hooligans like that. A force of men and women with their Pokémon partners. We call them the rangers." He paused for dramatic effect. "The rangers protect humans, Pokémon and nature alike. They fight gangsters, monsters, fires, even floods when need be." Morris coughed a few times, but then kept on going: "You said you have nothing left but those two Pokémon? I know of no better place to build a new beginning than the rangers. I was one myself you know? Me and my partners. First Jolly, then Lefty. That one is still on the force today. Magnificent beast... Of course, he is quite a bit younger than me." What started as laughing ended in a minor death rattle of a cough. But Morris eventually recovered. "You know what? The rangers are having their yearly bootcamp now. It has to be now, they always do it the week of my mother's birthday. Annoyed her to death back in the days. I couldn't ever get the day off, not even once in a decade. I will make you a deal. If you go there, start walking tomorrow, see if you have what it takes, I will pay for a bed at the inn tonight, have it put on my tab. It's easy, go south on the main road until Vientown, look for the rangerbase, ask them to show you the path to Bootcamp Island. It's a nice and clear road, important to local traffic."

The old man drank some more tea and exchanged some more stories with Jeffrey, before he decided it was time to go. "Oh, and one last thing," he said as he was standing up, "if you have pokéballs for those two, destroy them, burn the shards and bury the ashes. Ranger or not, you're in Almia. Those balls are behind you now."

On his way to his modest hut outside of town and off to bed Morris gently hummed the song of the wild Skarmory, still thinking about those good old days.

(OOC: The group heading north should arrive on the road between Vientown and Pueltown any post now. That's where I wrote them running into the two women and their cart of farm products as night fell. My suggestion would be you wait until one of them makes a post confirming their arrival on that road and you then run into them. You then have to find a reason to help with their mission rather than going to bootcamp. Good luck.

(OOC2: I don't really know why Morris doesn't let Jeffrey stay at his own home, it's mostly for out of character story pacing reasons.)

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"Right behind you!" Taylor said as Star gave a smile while it rested on her shoulder as she followed Frank and the team going to Chicole Village as soon enough Jake discovered some tracks and Frank had made a comment curious as to why they'd be around a small village like Chicole and if they had been poachers nearby with but a whisper. Taylor's eyes frowned and with but a nod Star replied in kind as she climbed down and quickly scaled up a tree while she tried to scout their area.

Both for any visual on poachers, and perhaps a scent of anyone nearby.

"I don't know, but we should be on our guard." Taylor advised with a whisper of her own.

Going by the suspicions Frank and Taylor displayed, Jake shot into action as well. "Lefty, run that wa- oh, right." He took a moment to recompose himself, and decided to run that way himself. Just a few dozen meters, to get another vantage point and spread the group out in case of an ambush. It didn't help a lot. The dragmarks continued, but so did the sight blocking vegetation.

In a sort of extra loud stage whisper, trying to be both silent and audible over the distance at the same time, Jake said "I don't see anything. You?"

OOC: if we don't have a viable team North left we can either retcon a little to put all players wanting to stay active in the same group or we could have something storywise happen to give us a quicker rendezvous.