• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. RP thread.

A slight blush crossed Wynter's face as she lowered her head in shame. Jake was right, it was far too early to be concerning herself with all the flaws in her plan, they were strapped for time and she had enough resources to put something together. A tense knot of contemplation formed between her brows as she pieced together a plan using the materials available to her. After a short handful of seconds, she spoke tentatively, "I could...tie both ends of rope together and tether myself to Lefty..." She paused for a moment, her eyes shifting back and forth over the Rhyhorns sturdy frame. "Following that you can lower me down and I'll rescue the Glameow."

Her plan sounded feasible to her. She wouldn't need to scale the cliff, and with Jake and Lefty controlling the rope she would (hopefully) be in no danger of drowning. The only thing that could make this rescue operation smoother was, "...the island wouldn't happen to have some Catnip- would it?"

To be frank, she'd never seen catnip before, but she'd heard stories of its potency on members of the feline species and was hoping it'd make the rescue an easier endeavor.

Jake nodded as he followed the plan. That could work. "Sounds like a plan, good job. Lefty will hold you, no problem. Those ground types really have some sort of connection to that thing they're named for. But what are we doing to keep the rope from from getting torn by the cliff edge?," he added.

"Catnip? What's that for? Oh wait, I'm catching on, I think I heard that ones. What does that look like again? That's one of the nettly ones right?" Jake didn't get the straight answer he was hoping for, but then the wheels started turning. "If we have it, I can get it." He looked down the cliff, the situation looked relatively stable, eve if this wasn't an exercise he'd be willing to risk it. "Set things up here, do something about that cliff eating into your rope." He thought: 'I could just tell you to either put something soft underneath it or better yet attach an eye of some sort in a place that lifts the rope off the ground, but I think you can come up with one of those two yourself.' He then used his outside voice again: "Don't lower yourself yet. I'll be back."

He then looked at Zian. "You're named Zian right? Your partner said as much. If you come with me I can take you to her, and maybe your nose can help me. Come along." Jake starts walking, and as (OOC: if) the Pokémon starts following him he breaks into a run towards where he left Frank and Celia. On approach he notices Andy and acknowledges his presence with eye contact. "Hey, medic," he says in a loud voice as he comes into hearing range, "how much do you know about herbs?"

"That is one way to make an entrance." Frank grinned as he got up. "Try to stay still as long as possible, okay? Just in case you need more treatment although you might want to cover your ears." He said to Celia before shouting back to Jake. "Quite a bit, why? Did someone get hurt?" He waited for a response and as much as he wanted to run towards Jake, he couldn't since there was a trainee that needed to be taken care of and that Pichu might need some too. He just couldn't leave this location until everyone was capable of walking in a straight line.

Jake walked up while admiring the detrapping job. "We could use some catnip. Within five minutes, or we'll just do without. We've got a big nose Pokémon here, if that helps, it's just a little shy." (OOC: that last part is if Zian came with him, which I'm assuming until stated otherwise. He's probably reacting to Celia being there in some way.)

Jake looked over Frank and Andy and then turned to Celia. "And how's the patient? If you can tell me what you think you will and won't be capable off for the next ten minutes I'll save the lecture for the debriefing."

Jake's bedside manner left to be desired, but this was the quickest way he knew to see how hurt someone really was. If he didn't get a coherent reply he'd have to start worrying. Of course this meant he would still be saving the lecture for later, but if a wounded first day ranger figured that out he really didn't have to worry about them.

"Catnip? Okay, I don't see why you would need it but I can probably find it in little time. Give me around 2 minutes and I have the catnip." Frank said as he turned to Celia. "Remember what I said, be honest and precise in your answers. It can only help you." He then left the area and looked around for some catnip.

"Let's see, nitrogen rich soil usually has catnip along with thistles so it shouldn't be too hard to find." He said to himself as he looked around for the plants. Eventually he found some, along with an abundance of thistles around it. He managed to get the catnip after getting hurt by the thistles and ran back towards the other rangers. "Found it!" He yelled and held the plant up to the sky, allowing everyone to see it.

"That I am, sir, though just a trainee really. My names Andy Richter and the Marill here is Aquamarine like the jewel. Nice to meet you Frank." he said feeling proud of himself for his first good decision of his career. Andy gave a look back to Aqua who was still gently singing to the sleeping Pichu as Frank administered two drops of some green liquid onto its leg, the mouse giving a sharp jolt from it hitting the wound, but Andy kept this to a minimum and within a few seconds, the mouse is snoozing peacefully again at which point Aqua stopped her concert.

"Now the main thing here would be to make sure this mouse can actually when it wakes up. Thankfully that gash didn't appear too deep and hopefully won't get infected," he said to Frank while Jake had said something about herbs, Andy did know a bit himself about herbs but not as much as Frank seemed to, being more trained in the medical field than he was. "I'should be able to handle the Pichu when he wakes up Frank, "he says allowing him to focus on other things for the moment. He didn't really hear the specifics of what the others were doing, only that they needed Catnip. "That could be bad for the Pichu considering what that is used for..." he thought just staying with the sleeping mouse for now.

OOC: Andy is alone with the mouse and only slightly figuring that the other pokemon Jake and Frank are currently with is a cat,

"Everything under control? That's good to hear. We'll have to check the rest of the island for traces of the people who did this later, right now we have victim care to handle, and we have a Glameow stuck a long way down a cliff. So if any of you is not needed elsewhere and has an idea, I'm heading that way now. Thanks for the catnip."

Jake ran off again towards Wynter's position, and arrived not much later, slightly out of breath from the running about. He greeted Wynter and started looking over the rope work.

Last edited:
While Jake had been away, Wynter had gotten to work, weaving the ropes together with a nice sturdy knot that wouldn't snag on any other sections of the rope, or come loose under the weight of her body. It'd taken a few seconds for her to choose the know, and a few more for her to actually tie both ropes together, but all in all, it was done in a flash.

With her rope secured she then took Jake's advice and though about creating an eye for the rope, lest the friction between the entwined threads and jagged ground lead her to a less that pleasant descent. Improvising with the items she had around her, she plucked several strands of grass and begun weaving them into a grassy square, only several centimeters across. Next, she made her way over to a nearby tree and snapped off a sturdy looking branch with forked ends. With the grass square acting as a 'cushion', she placed the rope between the forked teeth of the branch and using a nearby rock, had hammered the branch into the soil, creating a somewhat stable eye that her rope could sit within.

Just as she finished double checking her work, the Senior ranger returned, panting slightly from obvious physical exertion. Straightening herself to attention, Wynter saluted the ranger and briefly made her report about the rope-work. "All set Sir! We can rescue the Glameow at any time."

Although her voice was loud and appeared confident, she was concealing her unease about the situation, and the quivering of her legs easily betrayed her.

Zian kept a distance between him and Jake, but albeit still RAN after him, the Lycanroc of course had no trouble keeping keeping up it was just anxious about where this person was going to lead him having seconds though along the way stopping suddenly in the midst...and it didnt really help when Jake started shouting at Frank, the poor boy hid behind a rock, although Zian managed to stagger his way through this short run, he hid behind Jake for most of the time that is until he quickly changed his personality as he ran towards Celia

Celia watched Frank shout to who could've possibly been the Troop Leader, Jake... after a few moments of loud conversation her eyes followed Frank as he left possibly to go gather some catnip from what Celia heard, Celia then addressed her attention to Jake who was now speaking to her "I-I'll be fine... I was just... reckless..." the girl closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she got up, opening her eyes again, off to a wobbly start (quite literally) Celia held onto the tree she sat against and took another deep breath hoping to regain her composure. She quickly let go of the bark and started to look around her vision suddenly sharpens as what was seemingly a brown blot running towards her turns into a Lycanroc who tackles her "Zian!" She is quickly pinned to the ground by her partner, who clearly is excited and relieved to see Celia again, realizes she was somewhat hurt and quickly gets off whimpering "Its fine boy..." Celia sat upright scratching the back of her head and turned back to Frank whose shouting made Zian run away "Wait Zian!" Celia shouted back, unfortunately her loudness did not help Zian's case as he hid behind the same rock from earlier "Oh geez..." Celia tilted her head and then turned to Jake to apologize but he had already ran off back to Wynter

"Hey there, you okay?" Frank asked as he kneeled near Celia. "You're awake, that's a nice thing atleast." He said with a smile as he sat down next to her. "Isn't this something? First mission and you get caught in a trap, truly your lucky day." Frank said with a small chuckle. "Your partner is a jumpy one isn't it? Where did you find it?" He asked as he stared at Zian way in the distance. "Must be nice to have a partner, especially when they are loyal and as fast as yours. Come to think of it, I don't think that your partner is native to Almia so where is it from?" He turned to Celia, waiting for some answers for the many questions that he asked.

"Im fine now, thanks... again" she chuckled, looking down onto the ground... she didn't know whether she was uncomfortable or just shy, This was closer than their previous encounter "lucky? I should've gone gold-mining huh?" She laughed weakly at her hideous attempt to make a joke "Im sorry I'll stop" albeit her laughing did not, she looked up at the moment Frank had brought up Zian "I uh... dont... know" she tilted her head at Frank "Father just brought him home one day, he never spoke about where he came from and I dont think he just appeared suddenly on the farm, you see my dad's a farmer I dont think he would've went off so far away from home..." Celia's eyes trailed off in the presence of homesickness, but quickly sharpened and snapped back to Frank's "Oh sorry! May have said too much mate..." she giggled awkwardly as she scratched the back of her head

"Who knows? Maybe you'll find some for real." Frank said as Celia attempted to stop her laughter, causing him to smile. "Your father found him you say? Then you better take good care of him." He saw her trail off for a second before apologizing for telling him too much. Although it was only there for a moment, it was still there. The look of someone who missed their home. "You miss your parents don't you?" Frank asked after staying quiet for a moment. He could understand her feelings and since they had nothing better to do at the moment, he decided to help Celia talk about her feelings. After all, why should a medic only care about someone's physical health?

"Again... Im fine" She smiled at Frank whilst pushing herself onto her feet, she stretched her arms and feet "Your name's Frank right? Mine's Celia..." she looked at him with a smile, she bent down and grabbed her hat from the ground and put it on "Zian!" She called out to her partner who stepped out from the rock but refused to come any closer, Celia sighed as she was forced to be the one to come closer, kneeling down near Zian, she rubbed his head in order to comfort him "You good boy? Dont worry Frank wont hurt you..." in the short time she was talking with her partner, she made a few gestures a parent would make to a crying child "Geez Zian I swear..." Celia got up and jogged back to Frank with Zian following timdly close by "So how should we go on about this?" She asked, turning to Zian and gesturing him to come closer, Zian being Zian he didn't as Celia glared at him

"If you say so, if you want to talk about something you know where to find me." Frank said as he got up. "Nice to meet ya Celia, let's hope our next meeting goes a bit smoother shall we?" He watched Celia try to calm her partner down and eventually succeeding to some extent. He held his hand in front of him for Zian to smell and get used to his scent, as he thought about what to do next.

"Well, if you are healthy again we should go find the others. This is a mission after all, but if you still feel faint I am bringing you back to the dorms. And I expect you to be honest as we can't have you fainting in the middle of the mission." Frank asked Celia, demanding one hundred percent honesty from her and soon.

Jake looked over the rope work. Catching his breath, but not letting it slow him down. This looks good, that would work, this *tug, tug, TUG* seems strong enough. The Pokémon to be rescued was still in place, if looking rather impatient. Wynter had secured herself to the line. Good to go.

He probably should have paused a bit to take note of the trainee's shaky knees, maybe switched to using his "it's all okay, we're all safe" voice. But the thrill of the chase had gotten to him a little bit, and he just barreled on in professional ranger among rangers mode. He did manage to remember he was the trainer here though. The plan was solid, but he was going to have to take a little responsibility, rather than waiting for other people to delegate it to him.

"Okay, since this is hopefully a bit of a first for you in several ways, I'll handle Lefty and anything else that happens up here. Here's your catnip. Take a few of these big leaves as well, in case you need to wrap your hands in something against this mon's claws."

He then called out to his partner Pokémon. "Lefty, tension on the rope!" While Lefty had never been the brightest crayon in the box, this was the sort of thing Jake and he had done a lot. The big grey bag of muscles and armor plates lumbered forward until the line was off the ground and he could feel the resistance of a person on the other end. It wasn't a very heavy person, but not every day can feature a good tug of war.

Lefty turned his head and nodded to Jake, who couldn't resist growing a big smile on his face while facing Wynter and finishing with "You ready for an awesome ride?"

Last edited:
A bitter smile crossing her lips Wynter squeaked out, "Could the ride be less...awesome?"

Her hands idly fiddled with the craftwork of her rope harness, and while she had great confidence in her own handiwork, she couldn't help but doubt it now that she was quite literally living by her craft. Despite her fussing, she couldn't find any flaws in her weavings -her mother would be proud- and with nothing else to delay her, she grit her teeth, and decided to power through. Slapping her palms against her cheeks, the sharp, stinging pain stimulating her senses, she moved to the edge of the cliff, catnip, and leaves in hand.

Lowering her feet off the edge, she gave her senior ranger a salute, "Alright, I'm ready. Lower me down...slowly, please."

Her last words were only a mosquito buzz, as she held her head down hiding the uncertain expression on her face behind loose strands of hair.

Jake is looking over the edge, one hand on a nearby rock for balance, as Lefty lowers Wynter down. The ranger is mumbling to himself: "Steady, steady, looks good, uhmmm, okay..."

(OOC: You're the one on the line, so I'll let you describe the action from up close.)

Celia groaned "How many times do I have to tell you that Im okay?!" She was getting irritated from the repeated questions from Frank. She sighed, calming down a bit "Yeah I guess we should find the others..." Celia looked around, turning her head in every direction "Zian can you pick up a scent?" Celia looked down onto her partner who whimpered and slowly backed away "Guess that's all Im getting from you huh?" She chuckled at Zian "By any chance you know?" She once again turns to Frank for information on the others, she did just wake up after all. Taking a deep breath, Celia surveyed the surrounding area as she awaited Frank's response

"I told you before, I need to make sure. I'd rather have you be annoyed at me than have you throw up because you feel ill." Frank said, seemingly unperturbed by the groans from Celia. He watched her look around and heard her ask if he knew where the rest was. "I have a pretty solid idea of where the others are, I was with them before I went to check on you. They went that way, follow me." He said as he made his way towards the others, looking behind him to see if Celia was behind him. "I won't bite, come on." He added with a smile.

Celia raised an eyebrow at him, she couldnt tell if he was just being nice or teasing with that 'I dont bite' quote, either way Frank knew where the others were or at least an idea of it. She followed from a distance as she took in the gentle pleasures of being outdoors as she always did, Zian did so aswell, following from an even greater distance "You sure you know where your going?" Celia spoke out in an attempt to break the awkward silence

"Of course, there are tracks here of someone who was in a hurry, not to mention I saw Mr. Jake run this way. You see that trampled grass? That means we are going the right way, and that poison ivy was also there when I came here. You want to take some distance from that as the rash you can get from it is nasty, not to mention Roselia and Roserade have an habit of hiding in there and I am not ready to face either of them." Frank said as he pointed from some trampled grass to a bush to the right of Celia.

"Is Zian always this nervous? They seem ready to bolt at any moment." He questioned as he turned his head to face Zian who was a ways behind him. "Give or take five minutes and we'll be with the others. I wonder if they rescued the target already?" He wondered mostly to himself and was not expecting an answer from Celia, after all how would she know?

Ever so slowly, but still much too fast for her liking, Wynter descended, the rope connecting her to lefty fraught with tension. She pressed her palms and soles to the cliff face, her limbs allowing her to put a distance between her body -and most importantly the rope- and the jagged rocks. It would be far too late for regret if the rope snagged and was severed by a protruding edge.

Although she descended quickly, she paused at every fair gust of wind, hugging the cliff as if her life depended on it. With painfully slow descent inter-spaced with mortified paused, the girl descended to the water, the chilly liquid lapping at her feet sending shivers from the tips of her toes straight through her spine. By the time her waist was immersed in the water, she gave the rope a few tentative tugs, signalling Lefty to stop lowering her.

Carefully, she planted her legs on the submerged cliff-face, finding a platform with which to propel herself. She then got to work, weaving catnip into the threads of her hair and holding a generous amount of the plant between her teeth. She wrapped the buffering leaves she'd picked up earlier around her forearm, and then with movements as slow and stiff as molasses, she faced the Glameow. She cautiously held her hands out, her head swaying, catnip dangling from her hair like a lure. Parting her lips, she began to made rather -odd...catcalls

"Shweshweshweshweshwe..."

With that, she begun pushing off from the rock, propelling herself the scant few meters between herself and the -now visibly perplexed Glameow. The poor Pokemon seemed far too confused to react to her actions, and before the feline had even realized, Wynter had seized it by the paws. The Glameow hissed in surprise, and panic immediately ensued.

Between feline hisses and female shrieks, the sound of thrashed waves and battered shores, came Wynter's desperate pleas, "Pull me up!!!"

Jake's thoughts, 30 seconds ago: "In her hair? Isn't this stuff supposed to... Yes, it what is she... Okay I'm not sure if there's a better way but Holy Hoppip!"

Jake's mind took maybe a second to rattle past the options. Ones you've done something a few times you get pretty good at quickly picking out the really bad options. He wasn't willing to bet the standing eye would hold for a very fast ascent, certainly not one fast enough to prevent some nasty cuts and/or the Glameow being dropped back into the sea, creating an actual Pokémon emergency out of (probably?) a training one. Jake also wouldn't bet on the eye holding two people. The jump was too high to do safely, at least for a grown man like himself, and despite their sturdy build it wouldn't be much better for a Rhyhorn, with the landing in a rough sea and all with hard to see rocks. So Jake did the only thing he could think off. He yelled out to his partner: "Lefty, run to me!"

As Lefty turned and ran the short distance two figures at the end of the rope shook and then dropped into the water. As they started drifting with the current Jake shot out of his coat and threw it around his hands. As he jumped down the cliff he grabbed the rope, and with the whistling, stuttering noise of two rough fabrics rubbing past each other the man raced down the cliff. The rope, now free of Wynter's weight, held. Lefty got jerked towards the edge by the unexpected load, but with three lightning quick steps the beast found his footing again. As he neared the water, roughly four seconds after he started thinking, Jake remembered what Wynter had said about being able to swim. At this point there wasn't much he could do about that. Oops.

The rope didn't slow Jake down all that much, so he still made quite a splash as he dropped into the raging sea. The shock of his coat wrapped hands meeting the knot of the harness made him lose his grip. As he went under the ranger was disoriented for a moment, flailing around in a half swimming half grasping movement with his coat still in one hand when his other hand met a leg. Without thinking he pulled himself up towards the surface. As he surfaced he took a big breath of air, which immediately got cut short by a wave splashing into his mouth.

The waves were a lot wilder when you were in them then when you were watching from the top of a cliff. Things were going up and down and left and right. Jake had several targets in his sights. The first was the Glameow. His coat still in hand he threw it over the creature. The Pokémon threw everything it had at this new threat, piercing the cloth with its claws as Jake wrapped it up with several flailing motions. Now holding a cat in a bag, holding himself above water with a single hand on the rope leading to Lefty, he could only see one real way to help out his recruit. The rope and the current were helping keep her above water, a little bit, but she certainly wasn't having a lot of fun. Jake looked straight up the cliffs to see a familiar big grey face peering down, waiting for instructions. To the best of his current ability Jake yelled to the top of the cliff, "Lefty, pull up gently!"

Maybe half the words and even less of the letters made it up, but luckily after the second try Lefty had caught the gist of it, and started pulling. Jake knew he only had one shot to get the next part right, so he scraped his throat, and as the rope lifted Wynter out of the water with panic still freshly in her eyes, he pushed the 'coated' Glameow into her arms and went full drill instructor, yelling in his most commanding voice: HOLD THIS RECRUIT! GRAB IT! HOLD IT TIGHT! DON'T LET IT GO! KEEP HOLD!" Even after she grabbed the package he just kept yelling for another second or two to make sure she didn't let go.

Okay, so here Jake was, laying in the water, without a rope to hold on to, waves crashing in, freshly out of air from yelling too loudly. Luckily at this point his next action was pretty self evident. He swam as good as he could towards the cliff. This wasn't necessarily a improvement, now he was drowning as well as being smacked against a cliff, but Jake pulled his climbing pick out of his belt, and at the third try he hit a crack. That was enough grip to pull himself up a little and find a spot for his other hand, as well as a small footrest. Between the three points he was now able to pull himself out of the water far enough that he could breathe. The current wasn't taking him anywhere, and he was still reasonably close to where they first lowered the rope, although being downcurrent of it meant he couldn't just swim back there. He also wouldn't be able to climb this wall, way too slippery and steep. He was stuck, and he was rapidly cooling down from the cold seawater. But at least any immediate danger of injuries was over. Total time since the Glameow first panicked, maybe 30 to 45 seconds. Certainly less than a minute. Probably... Jake looked up as the end of the rope and its passenger reached the top of the cliff.

Last edited:
"Ill hold you to that five minutes..." Celia caught up and walked beside him, paying close attention to whatever was on the ground as Frank warned her of Poison Ivy, Zian in the meantime was still staying as far away as he was, Celia flicked her head back to see if the Lycanroc was still following and he was "Zian's a he by the way... and yes his timidness is quite annoying at times" another desperate attempt by her to break the silence, Celia had felt more comfortable with this other recruit, he did more or less save her life back then. Awaiting an answer from Frank her mind wandered about who else she saw back in rollcall or whatever you would call it, surprise surprise, she couldn't remember.

When the rope slackened, Wynter's heart sunk, right to the bottom of the ocean -just as her body began to do the moment she hit the water- or that was the situation as far as Wynter was concerned. While the rope and rushing currents had enough combined force to keep her hovering above the water, the girl was in no state of mind to realize that, and faced with an immediate sensation of deadly crisis, she thrashed with everything she had. Even as Lefty began to, once again, lift her from the water, she still kicked and squirmed in her final deathrows.

It wasn't until the Glameow, who'd left her arms at some point during her panic, was firmly thrust back into her bosom that she even realized she was no longer drowning. That realization however, did little to soothe her palpitating heart and fearful eyes. She didn't hear a word Jake had said -between her own sceaming and the blood racing in her ears it was hard to hear much- but with the only thing in her arms the Glameow, and her frayed nerves, she was 5 steps ahead of him, clutching the feline in a death-drip.

Her grip didn't loosen for the entire near-minute ascent of the cliff-face, and it wasn't until she felt solid ground beneath her feet that she'd even dared to open her eyes. When her eyelids fluttered open, she was greeted with the rugged stoney face of Lefty the Rhyhdon, her discheveled reflection in it's limpid eyes. Wynter blanked for several seconds more, her gaze eventually falling to the Glameow in her bosom who -having calmed down during their lengthy ascent- was now much more relaxed than she was. The feline shook, a low intensity quiver accompanied by a low vibrating hum -it was purring. Apparently content to stay warmly wrapped in Jake's coat, and Wynter's arms, the Pokemon had ceased it's frenzied stuggles.

Wynter herself slowly began to calm, assessing the scenario as she suspected was the right choice in this situation. She had a few fine scratches along her arms, but nothing serious. She'd been holding the Glameow by the paws when it had paniced, and thus it couldn't really sink them into her tender flesh. Her mouth did taste quite salty though, so she could only imagine how much sea water she'd swallowed in her frenzy. Jake's coat was...moderately damaged, and the ranger in question was..?

"Ah..."

Scrambling to the edge of the cliff, Wynter peered over into the water, her eyes almost immediately landing on Jake as he clung to the cliff-face.

"Eh...Um...Hold on! I'll... errr, send the rope back down!"

Frantically removing the rope harness from around her, she tossed it over the edge, letting rope unfurl as it extended to Jake's side.

"If you are worried about not making it in time, we can run." Frank said with a rather cheeky grin. "Zian would probably enjoy it as well. Might be a decent way to let him lose some stress and make him relax. What do you say, ready for a run?" He slowed down until he was walking right beside Celia. "Or, if you are still tired or scared to lose, we can always walk and take our time. I don't really mind, although I would assume that you are incapable of running."

Frank was obviously teasing Celia, from the little interaction they had he gathered that she was not one to sit around idly when she can do something and he hoped that she would accept his challenge. After all, maybe they could help the others. "What do you say? Do you take my challenge?" He asked Celia in a taunting voice.

The next few minutes were not Jake's happy time. The waves and wind kept bobbing the rope just out of his reach, which was very limited because of his lack of grip on the wall he was clinging to. He could jump or swim for the rope, but his hands were too cold to properly hold on for the entire trip up so he'd rather be standing so he could do some proper knotting work. Plus he was just really not feeling like another swim, and willing to trade some minimal comfort for a bit less haste. Eventually he found a better spot for his pick, where he could leave it stuck while reaching out, and a good throw by Wynter did the rest. Jake quickly tied the rope around his waist and one of his legs to form a minimal safety harness, loosened his pick enough to take it with him when Lefty would start pulling, and waved to Wynter to signify he was ready. When she got Lefty to start pulling Jake lifted out of the sea.

Jake got hoisted over the edge, and decided that this was a good place to lie down. He was dragged through the dirt and the plants only another two or three meters before Lefty caught on that this amount of resistance meant he could stop pulling, but Jake couldn't care less. Looking up from his comfy spot in the grass, his left kidney sitting on what must have been the most comfortable pointy rock for miles around, Jake saw Wynter looking at him, seemingly with more of a concerned/guilty expression than an angry or still panicky one, which Jake was kind of happy about. He also saw the Glameow glaring at him. "Fine," he thought, "I think you're a hairball who should learn how to sit still too, but I'm enough of a professional not to show it." He also saw Lefty walking up to him. The beast was actually wagging it's tail. "Yeah yeah, you're a good boy," Jake thought while rubbing the Rhyhorn's head.

After deciding the view from down here was rather limited he sat up, and caught sight of another small group of recruits approaching them. Looks like the whole gang was here, nobody left at the trap site, good.

Several thoughts crossed Jake's head, pushing each other out of the way to be his first words. "Are you okay?" was a strong contender for a while, "If you see a young man called Jeremy, tell him to start running" would have been appropriately witty but too cryptic. What flopped out of his mouth instead was "I forgot to take off my hat."

This may seem insensitive to the casual observer, but to be fair to Jake this was a mrs. Peabody hat, those are always a shame to lose.

"Okay, I'm ready to stop complaining now," Jake said as he stood up, "I'm alright, are you alright? Anything I missed up here while I was out cliff jumping?"

Last edited:
"Okay everyone, well done. There are some lessons to be learned from today, but first things first. Let's get that Pichu and this Glameow checked out, and let's get all the wet rangers some dry clothes. We're not in the business for luxury, but where it's available I'll take it. After that we can..."

Jake paused as he saw a man approach at a slightly silly looking jog. "Hi Jeremy, how are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm fine Jake," the younger ranger said, "it's just that you were suddenly gone. Do you still want me to arrange the you know what not in front of the recruits? By the way, have you seen my Purugly by any chance? I swear, since it evolved it's always off hunting something. It drives me crazy."

Jake had his face back in check in a second or two, but everyone saw the look of surprise it wore before that. "No Jeremy," he said, "the you know what will not be needed today. We did find some traps a while that way. We're bringing in these little guys for a checkup, after that you can take any recruits interested in investigation and see if you can still find any clues to when they were left by who for what purpose. Sorry if our detrapping job made that part a bit harder. If you find anything good it's probably best to communicate it to the Vientown base as well. Jim and the gang have the big operation running in the isles on the other side, you never know how these things connect. But first, let me get some dry pants."

Jake got his pants, and they were dry. Maybe humid at most. Over the next few days the group got into almost a routine of physical exercise, basic skills and procedure training and even some excitement here and there. Okay, maybe quite a bit of excitement on the afternoon with the dead tree. Jeremy's second try at a surprise exercise was good too, there are no surprises like those you should have seen coming. Lefty really enjoyed the early morning running laps he got to lead ("Just this lap Lefty, I'll yell when you need to stop") as his human spurred on the back of the group, while Jake was happy with the amount of constructive feedback the new guys managed to give each other and even him after the exercises. Not nearly all of it was something you could realistically pull off in the heat of the moment, but to have the ideas is a good first step.

(OOC: This feels like a weird place to end a post. Just feel free to add to what went on and what you did in these days of training.)

(OOC2: Hardcore double posting rebel right here.)

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Crud crud crud crud! Way to start off miss "Ranger", woke up for your big day already late!

Taylor had been in a frantic hurry, with her Shinx Star right by her side as both Pokemon & trainer seemed to be in quite the frantic hurry. Not that one could blame them if they knew what they were in a rush for; as Taylor & Star had been prepared to begin their first day among the Ranger recruits to get some practice in as well as go through general initiation.

Had being the important word here, as Taylor made the criminal mistake of oversleeping. Seems she and her partner had been too excited about tomorrow to get to sleep on time, and now they had to rush to the line and hope they'd avoid being too late.

They would make it, just catching the tail end of the first instructions and a conversation between a pair of Rangers; Taylor had no way to tell if they were recruits or veterans but she had caught the name "Jake" from one of them and he seemed friendly enough. Taylor thankfully managed to get an info dump from another recruit as over the next few days she worked herself into the group and got into a routine of physical exercise; from basic skill development and procedure training along with these "surprise" exercises from time to time.

After a particularly tough session, Taylor was invited to join a camp fire that evening by some of the other Ranger recruits. Taylor had no reason to object to such a proposal, and really after the days of training a relaxing break like that had been more than welcomed.

Besides, maybe the chance would allow her to make friends. So far, she and Star had been kinda loners among the recruits probably because her late arrival and Star trying to steal some snacks from one or two of them. A bad habit she needed to correct, but she hoped some smores over a camp fire could work to mend those fences early.

Frank was exhausted yet satisfied about it. He just ran multiple laps to improve his stamina and physical health, and it was a nice way of clearing his head which sometimes felt like it was going to burst from all the studying he did. Trying to find a way to bend the procedures when in the field since they won't last in a real situation, developing a new antidote by sneaking out at night to tap some poison from sleeping Beedrill and Budew as he was unable to find any Roselia or Roserade, making sure that he kept his medical knowledge from slipping away and resupplying his medical kit along with keeping up with his training. Needless to say, he lost a lot of sleep that he needed to catch up with as coffee was the main thing keeping him running.

"Can't wait to finish that antidote, that will allow for more time to work with." He said with a sniffle, feeling a bit sick due to him being the main test subject for the antidote although he'd need a new test subject soon as he might become immune to the poison one day. "Never thought I'd practice mithridatism, let's just hope that it is worth the trouble." He said to himself as he blew his nose and made his way to the campfire, gratefully embracing the warmth of it. His eyes settled on a new recruit who he didn't see during the mission but has made her entrance during the training.

"Hey there, you're a new face aren't you? What's your name?" Frank asked as he took a seat and wiped some sweat from his forehead from his previous exercise. The girl couldn't be much older than him and she seemed to be a bit of a loner. "Is that your partner? The Shinx?" He asked as he nodded towards Star. The heat of the campfire replaced the cold feeling he had for a while now and he grew a bit hungry. He grabbed some smores and slowly roasted them by putting them on a stick and planted it in the ground near Taylor, winking. "Enjoy."

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Taylor, who had arrived first among the group who'd settle around the camp fire, had only slightly been startled when the voice of someone else spoke up to her. Taylor and Star glanced up as they saw a guy who appeared to be around her age; another of the Ranger recruits she presumed but she had no way to know for sure as her Shinx eyed him curiously.

"Y-yeah. A new recruit, just trying to work my way into the Rangers. Haven't gotten off to the best start though, trying to work past my late arrival here." Taylor said with a sheepish grin as she rubbed the back of her head before she'd respond to his other questions.

Though, said answers would wait a moment, as she had been offered some smores and had been eager to partake. As she set a stick with some next to Frank in response before she and Star began to chow down a bit. Once Taylor swallowed a tasty bite, she turned to him with a smile on her face.

"Yes, this is Star. My partner in crime, my name is Taylor. Are you among the Ranger recruits to?" Taylor asked Frank before she took another bite of her smores as she had been all too curious about him.

"Partner in crime you say? Oi, Oi, then I might have to take you in for some questioning."

Teasing, with a lazy undertone, Wynter inserted herself into the conversation from a fair distance away. Instead of sitting by the evening campfire, soon to be the only source of light as the sun dipped below the horizon, Wynter was reclined in a hammock that hung between two nearby trees. Over the past few days, she'd invested time and effort into slowly weaving together the portable hammock, and now her work was paying off. Rather than being tied to any two trees, in particular, the ends of the hammock were woven into loops which she could throw around sturdy branches, allowing the hammock to hang in between. It had been a complex project, but worthwhile.

After a long day of training, the feeling she got by throwing herself into her hammock and being lulled by the gentle wind as simply too blissful to even be described. Her eyes were closed, and utter content was painted on her face -an expression she shared with the Glameow laying across her stomach. Over the past few days, Wynter and the rescued Glameow had got along swimmingly, and she'd taken the feline up as her partner pokemon.

Having overheard the conversation between Taylor and Frank, Wynter cheekily barged in, "Seems like you missed introductions then. Well, while mister medic is lost in thought, I'll introduce myself. I'm Wynter, just like the season but with a 'y', and this is my partner Msyu. Nice to meet another newbie on the force."
(OOC: Pronounced 'Mashū')

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Taylor & Star glanced up as they heard a new voice make her arrival, one who introduced herself as Wynter with a "y" that had been emphasized along with her own partner Glameow who seemed to be relaxing on a nearby hammock.

Taylor seemed surprised, more so on how she missed seeing that when she arrived by the campfire more than anything.

"O-oh, hi there." Taylor said with a little wave as Star tilted its head over; the Shinx seemed to inspect the pair on the hammock with great curiosity. Taylor managed to clear her throat as she decided to properly introduce herself.

"W-well, as you may have heard. My name is Taylor, and this is my partner Star. A pleasure and yeah....I kinda was late on introductions. Sorry." Taylor said as she rubbed the back of her head while she gave a sheepishly grin.

"Late huh? Try to not let that happen again, okay? I must say, you chose a fitting name for a Shinx. The name's Frank Freeman, fellow recruit and training to become a medic. Pleased to meet ya Taylor, I think we can work together quite nicely." Frank said with a grin, turning his head away to cough before looking at the person deciding to join their conversation.

"Hey there Wyn, how is your bonding coming along? You're lucky to have a partner this early, most Rangers don't get one until they are graduated." He said, referring to both Taylor and Wynter as he coughed again. "Ironic, the medic is sick." He noted with a grin as he roasted his own smores. "Want some, Wyn?"

Jake was mentally evaluating the past few days. Celia had recovered from her accident and had made good progress in her situational awareness, Frank was being his confident self and Wynter was bonding nicely with her new partner. Jake and the hairball hadn't gotten off to the best of starts, but they hadn't butted heads yet. Taylor was also finding her spin. The others had bonded over that first little bit of excitement, which had made Taylor feel a little excluded. But Jake could see across the fire that she started to fall into place just fine.

Jake stopped prodding in the fire, got up and exchanged a greeting or two with other rangers as he walked up to the little group across the fire.

"Okay you guys, come sit here with me for a minute. You too Wynter. It certainly looks comfy in there, but gather around. A few days ago Celia found those traps. The way she found them leaves room for improvement, but that's not the point. As you know we looked for clues. The woods used were general mainland Almia species, Wynter helped exclude an origin on the eastern landmass. Some of the knotting work was done with vines, in particular with some ground crawling species found mostly in wetter environments. Thanks to Taylor for helping narrow that down. This doesn't tell us where these guys might be going next, but it does tell us they have probably been hanging around in the general southern mainland area. The base at Vientown is a little understaffed right now, so I'd like to take a few recruits down south towards Chicole Village, just to be safe. You guys are it. It's just like another exercise, only we can take things a little slower, and there won't be any trainers making up new rules halfway the action."

Jake paused for a moment to look around the little group. "Frank, since you're from down there, you think you could take the lead navigation wise? Good places to camp, and more importantly to look for troublemakers? Or is that cough of yours worrying you? Wynter, could you take charge of provisions and outfitting? That means monitor the food situation, but also check with everyone if they have the gear they need and if not if anything can be checked out of bootcamp. Celia, I'd like you to communicate our mission. Talk our plans over with the folks staying here, let them know where we're going so they know how the ranger distribution is. I don't have a job for you right now Taylor, just know that we are likely to do some tracking, be ready for that. We leave first thing tomorrow morning. I'll be available for questions for at least the next two hours, maybe more depending on how active this campfire party is going to be. I know we cheated a little bit on the first day, but this will still be kind of your first real mission."

Jake answered a few questions, listened to some training stories and eventually trailed off towards bed. Before he could get there a ranger named Amelia got hold of him though. "Hey, Jake, have you heard anything from the smuggler operation yet?," the stout woman known to the new recruits mostly for her good singing voice asked. "I spoke Jim beforehand, nothing after that, "Jake replied. "So I take it no new has come in from Vientown today? I am heading out towards Chicole Village tomorrow, we could hop by there and ask if they know anything?" "Nah," said Amelia, "I'm sure it's fine, just checking. No news is still good news." Jake nodded. "Fine by me, no change in plans then." If that sound like foreshadowing to you, Jake actually trusts the rangers out there in the field. He was kind of hoping they followed their targets south, and they could have themselves a big team up. Jake's last sentence gets only a grunt for a reply. But to be fair that sentence was: "Good night Lefty, sweet dreams."

(OOC: It's a little weird to give Celia a job like that, but I'm just treating her as if she's there and I can assume she did stuff. On another note: feel free to take your posts into the next morning and leaving camp. I don't need to do anything else before that.)

Last edited:
"Nothing I can't handle sir, I know why I have it and I might have a cure for it soon. I can take the lead, nothing to worry about!" Frank said with his usual confidence, only to break into a violent cough afterwards. "Excuse me, but I'm going to hit the hay. See you all tomorrow." He said as he got up and made his way to the boys dorm, disappearing into the darkness of the night. That is, if he didn't curse his cough as he walked into the door since he closed his eyes to cough. "I swear to Arceus, this cough is an pain in the behind!" With those words, he slammed the dorm door shut and went to sleep.

Frank was up early, ready to start his mission with the other recruits. He was anxious for the mission to start, especially since he was going towards his former home. He appeared calm and confident, although a stupid grin and a shaking hand revealed his enthousiasm. "Hurry up folks, we have a mission to do!" He exclaimed to no one just to speak his mind. Sure, the mission was nothing too big according to Jake, but that didn't make it any less impressive for him. And if he did his best on this mission, he might get some more assigned to him. He didn't get as much sleep last night as he wanted due to his nerves and modifications of his antidote, but his cough was gone and he got more sleep than in the last couple of nights combined. He looked to the sun and voiced his displeasure by clicking his tongue. "Come on folks, I've been here for a while now. Don't leave me hanging."

Wynter stood stock still, rummaging through a pack of supplies she'd prepared for every ranger. Having been tasked with logistics the night before, Wynter had applied herself to her task and spend the night pouring over all their possible needs. She'd packed a lunch for each ranger; slices of seasoned, and lightly toasted bread, a thin sheet of butter crowning its crust, along with an assortment of topping each ranger could use to craft their own sandwich. A variety of meats -personally cooked by yours truly-, sliced cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, a small bowl of condiments, shredded onions, pickles, and to wash it all down a container of fruit juice, along with one flagon of water. The meats had been lightly salted to preserve their freshness, so by her estimates even if the rangers didn't use the meat it'd last until they reached Vientown, where it could be properly stored. She'd opted for sandwiches because they were light and easy to eat on the go, making them perfect for a mid-journey meal.

Apart from food, she'd packed a stocked first-aid kit into Frank's bag, a generous coil of rope into her own, a few berries for their Pokemon. Considering the distance between Vientown and the Ranger camp, she doubted they'd be travelling for multiple days, but just in case they got side tracked for an extensive length of time, she packed sleeping bags as well.

Not wanting to overburden her fellow rangers, she hesitated to put anything else into the bag. Instead, last night, she'd simply gone around reminding each of the accompanying rangers to remember to carry their basic equipment such as utility knives or other miscellaneous all-purpose gear.

Satisfied with the job she'd done, she made one last check over of things in the morning before reporting to their agreed upon departure point. Unsurprisingly, she found Frank already waiting there, just as giddy, if not more so than he'd been last night.

"Hey there, good morning Wyn! How are you?" Frank said quite enthusiastic as he walked towards Wynter. "Finished packing? That extra first-aid kit was a good idea, good thinking on your part! I finished the antidote for Beedrill stings and Budew poison, the latter might also work for Roselia and Roserade stings but don't expect on that. Still need to find them, a Skorupi and a Drapion. I suppose you don't know where they are?" He asked, still as giddy as when he woke up.

"How long do you think that it will take for the rest to wake up? I want to leave as soon as possible, waiting won't do us any good, will it? Although I suppose I can use the time to study the effects and treatment of the most likely to be encountered toxins and injuries for this mission." Frank noted as he grabbed a heavily worn book titled 'First aid in the field'.

"Morning Frank."

Cheerfully, Wynter responded, then listened to Frank's rapid barrage of questions. "Woah, woah, hold up there...it's too early in the morning, I don't have all my wits about me yet." Truth be told, even now, Wynter was still rather groggy. Though fortunately for Frank, he'd come to the right person, and Wynter indeed had the answers to (some) of his questions.

"I don't know when the others will wake up, but I do know where you can find Skorupi. Near my hometown, Haruba village, there's a desert named the Haruba desert, and Skorupis reside there. If we have any spare time I'll lead you there. Oh, and waiting can't hurt too much, can it?"

Frank looked up from his book after hearing that Wynter knew where Skorupi live. "Really? You know that? Oh man I'd love to go there! Imagine all the new Pokémon and people we'd meet." He became so absorbed into this imagination that he forgot that Wynter would see nothing new other than someone trying to find Skorupi. "Waiting can hurt in some situations, especially when someone is poisoned, bleeding out or has internal damage. But at the moment, waiting is nothing more than a slight inconvenience." He noted as he flashed a grin before returning to his book, marking a specific page by bending the upper left corner of the page.