• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Pokemon Platinum Team: Ratings and feedback needed

I would like some feedback on my Platinum team. Any suggestions on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated.

Torterra, Overgrow
Adamant & Muscle Band
-Earthquake
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge
-Crunch

Togekiss, Serene Grace
Modest & Expert Belt
-Air Slash
-Flamethrower
-Aura Sphere
-Magical Leaf

Glaceon, Snow Cloak
Modest & Wise Glasses
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Water Pulse
-Mirror Coat

Lucario, Inner Focus
Rash & Shuca Berry
-Aura Sphere
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Punch

Vaporeon, Water Absorb
Modest & Leftovers
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Aqua Ring

Porygon-Z, Download
Modest & Bright Powder
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Signal Beam
-Nasty Plot

Thanks!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If the Protect/Earthquake combo was god's gift to tag battles in Pokemon, that would actually be good advice. As it is, Protect/Earthquake is anything but that, especially since Quaker + Flyer/Levitator works infinitely better. Also, double battles are usually very uncommon in competitive battling.

I'm going to put this bluntly Gruffenv1 - stop posting advice. All your advice has been either pointless or straight-up crap, and unless you plan on making sure what you say is actually useful, I suggest you stop trying (and failing) to help people unless you want to get banned.

That aside, here's a few pointers:

- Torterra's A-OK for the most part. Rock Polish would help with his sweeping, although since he's pretty bulky anyway he can get away with keeping his Speed low. Yache Berry is a decent alternative item, and Choice Band would allow him to hit unbelivably hard.

- Togekiss with Serene Grace is positively begging for Thunder Wave and Roost alongside Aura Sphere and Air Slash, both of which hit everything for neutral except Zapdos and Rotom. Paralysis flinch-hax may be considered by some to be cheap, but if it's legal (which Togekiss is,) it's fair game. The Expert Belt probably wouldn't see much use on the flinch-hax set - Wise Glasses works brilliantly though.

- Glaceon should either be running Scarf'd Ice Beam, or Hail/Blizzard really. Mirror Coat can work if you can find a place to slot it in, and it is a good option for anything that may try to hit you on your weaker (albeit still high) defensive stat. Glaceon's an odd one really, but Scarf'd Beams/Hail + Blizzard are generally the best that Glaceon can dish out. Togekiss running Thunder Wave will allow for a bit more freedom with Glaceon, since its low Speed will be a non-issue if your opponent is paralyzed (this applies to Torterra as well.)

- Lucario generally depends on the sort of set you want to run, and considering your team's current layout I'd err heavily towards physical sweeping for Lucario, otherwise most of your team will end up being crushed by anything named Blissey or Regice. Enough talk though, here's my Lucario set:

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Adamant
Steadfast/Inner Focus

- Close Combat
- Crunch/Shadow Claw
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

This set is deadly. Send it out as a lead and your opponent will suffer greatly if they try to set up entry hazards or weather effects, risking losing half their team right off the bat if they dawdle too long. Other than that, the set speaks for itself - Close Combat for STAB, Crunch/Shadow Claw for Ghosts/Psychics, and ExtremeSpeed to bypass Lucario's average Speed stat. Swords Dance...well, needs no explaination. The Sash is crucial for this set's success, which is why again, this works best when sent out as a lead.

Vaporeon, again, here's mine:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm
Water Absorb

- Surf
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Surf hits surprisingly hard here, comfortably 2HKO'ing a lot of fragile sweepers that don't resist it. Toxic cripples any opposing walls, and Wish/Protect lets you stall the opponent down with Toxic. Wish itself can be used to heal your team-mates should they get into hot water - Torterra and Glaceon will appreciate that especially since their Speed isn't that great.

Third set's the charm, here's a Pory-Z option:

Porygon-Z @ Wise Glasses/Life Orb/Chople Berry
Timid
Download

- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

A lot of people have said that Shadow Ball works brilliantly and is a must have for Porygon-Z - this actually isn't true, since BoltBeam's coverage combined with Porygon-Z's raw power means that it doesn't really have to worry too much about landing 2x damage hits on Ghosts. Tri Attack is the crucial STAB move here, and running off Porygon-Z's incredible Sp.Attack this move can really sting. Nasty Plot is just the icing on the cake, and allows Pory-Z to dish out even more punishment.

Overall, your team is good, although I'd be wary of Fire-types, since you have three team members weak to Fire and only one who resists it. Also, although Vaporeon can deal with Special Attackers fine usually, and Torterra/Glaceon are quite tough physically, be wary of any physical attackers packing Swords Dance, since you don't have a 100% reliable method for stopping such enemies. That said, your team is still very nice, and these issues can easily be worked around if you know what you're doing.

Thank you very much for the pointers. However, I actually don't do competitive battling (unless the Battle Frontier counts, which I don't think it does) because I don't have Wi-Fi and I don't even know anyone that actually owns Pokemon D/P/P. I was just looking for helpful pointers on team building, move sets, items, and natures, but still thanks!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Actually the Frontier would come under that, since all the Pokemon there are coded to utilize movesets similar to what you would see competitively, and they're all EV trained and carry hold items again, similar to what you would see competitively. Getting your team as close to competitive standard as possible is all but crucial to success in the Frontier (except the Battle Factory for obvious reasons.)