• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition Wi-Fi Feature Detailed

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
box.jpg

Along with announcing Keldeo in the newest issue of Japanese magazine CoroCoro, new details regarding the upcoming spin-off title Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition were revealed. The official site for the game has since updated with the details so we now understand everything mentioned in CoroCoro. The details are mostly to do with how the Wi-Fi aspect of the game will work, read on to find out more.

Read More

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Doctor Oak said:
Translation:

If you don't buy the game on launch, you'll never actually get to play all of it. Awesome idea.

Perfect translation. It's a real shame because Its a really awesome idea with it adding more life to the overall game, but the "stories" shouldn't have an end date for downloading them. I don't know why they don't just use a system like seen in the Professor Layton games.

New puzzles are released weekly over Wi-Fi but don't have an end date (at least, the first two games worked like that), meaning you could download them at any time, if that can be used with Professor Layton, why not bring it to Pokemon? Seeing how it can be done.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's annoying, but it shouldn't come as any surprise really. This is no different to how Pokemon deals with all event giveaways, it's just a bit more irritating because these extras are actual gameplay extras.

I've never liked the mentality behind event distributions really. If they were repeatedly made available multiple times a year it wouldn't be so bad, but more often it's simply "if you haven't bought this game at launch, you've missed obtaining X number of rare Pokemon". Now we have to worry about event timed C-Gear skins and the like, and that feels wrong to me. Loyal fans should have access to everything one way or another.

But eh, it's all moot. The Pokemon franchise has been running like this for years and I don't see it changing anytime soon. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The difference with Pokemon distributions is that even if you miss it - you can still get the Pokemon via trading. It was far, far worse in the dark days of physical distributions only and no Wi-Fi trading, but these days it's not so bad. Of course, some distributions over the past couple of years have also had story elements to them that you lose out on by not bending to Nintendo's timetable, but they're bonuses really - not actual chunks of the game.

There is also a bit of a difference between the likelihood of buying a main series title on launch day at full price, and the likelihood of picking up a strange, vaguely defined side game on launch day at full price. In fact, it's probably quite safe to say that without exception, none of the side-games released thus far have been worth paying full price for.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
There is also a bit of a difference between the likelihood of buying a main series title on launch day at full price, and the likelihood of picking up a strange, vaguely defined side game on launch day at full price. In fact, it's probably quite safe to say that without exception, none of the side-games released thus far have been worth paying full price for.

They don't often drop the prices of these games though, do they? For example, I'm pretty sure that all of the Ranger games are still full price in Canada. They might've knocked $5 off the prices, but it's doubtful that we'd ever see them receive a considerable price cut. Chances are, if you're a Pokemon fan you're either buying a game at launch anyways or putting it off for one of three reasons: you're not really interested in it (and thus will likely never buy it), you lack the money/time to play it at the time of launch, or you're waiting for parents to buy it for you.

Whatever the case it still goes back to that event distribution concept. They just really seem to love restricting stuff as an incentive for people to buy the games early. Like Dem said, they did this within the Pokemon Ranger games, and I'm pretty sure they did the same for some of the PMD games too (someone correct me if I'm wrong).