• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Nicknames!

Silly or Meaningful nicknames?

• Total voters
Hello!
So, I'm new here, so I thought; what better way to get use to this place than to jump right in and make a thread!

And of course, the thread topic I chose is one of my favorite features of the video games; Pokemon nicknames!

Alot of people give their Pokemon important or meaningful nicknames, while others try to come up with the silliest they can (like me)
So, if you nickname your Pokemon, what nicknames does your team have? And why?

Had a Nuzlocke run in Y that I completed about a week or two ago.

My party at the end was:
Guan Yu (Chesnaught)
Medusa (Swalot)
Poseidon (Azumarill)
Nemesis (Bisharp)
Skadi (Aurorus)
Ra (Mega Charizard Y)

I had a mythology theme, particularly playable characters in SMITE!

Had a Nuzlocke run in Y that I completed about a week or two ago.

My party at the end was:
Guan Yu (Chesnaught)
Medusa (Swalot)
Poseidon (Azumarill)
Nemesis (Bisharp)
Skadi (Aurorus)
Ra (Mega Charizard Y)

I had a mythology theme, particularly playable characters in SMITE!

Nice! I remeber when I played Diamond, I did a Norse theme. Currently, my main party in Pokemon Y are named

Froyo: greninja

Amaya: umbreon

Precious Son: cubone

Cat-Dog V2: Lucario

Birble: Yveltal

and Disney: Flabebe

they are mostly pretty ridiculous, but i love them!

I usually go for meaningfully silly ones or just random ones. Commonly, I use parts of their name, like my Mimikyu called Mimi
My nicknames in my main teams were

POKEMON Y
Delphox is FireFlame
Charizard is Flamelash
Lucario is Aura
Mewtwo is Lunar (might change it to Giygas soon)
Talonflame is Sunny
Yveltal is Destro

POKEMON SUN
Decidueye is Robin
Hariyama is Macaroni
Tsareena is Stena - Seafolk Village Trade, not going for Bouncee - Name doesn't fit Tsareena.
Ribombee is Pollenpuff
Magnezone is U.F.O
Solgaleo is Nebby

POKEMON MOON
Incineroar is Toffee
Muk is NachoSauce - Why not? XD
Nihilego is Parasite
Petilil is Lilly
Lunala is Nebbie
Raichu is Lola
Sometimes, instead of Nihilego, I use Kommo-o but I didn't nickname it, and I sometimes use Hybrid The Crabombinable instead of Nebbie The Lunala

Some names may seem random, but actually make sense
NachoSauce -> The yellow stuff on its mouth
Hybrid -> It's final evolution is a hybrid of a yeti and a crab

Last edited:
Right now in my Pokemon Moon team I have

Phase the Decidueye: I thought of the name Phase because when Rowlets evolution was first released all I thought was that it looked like an angsty teenager, and Decidueye is a ghost type so, it can phase through things.
MC Pinchee the Vikavolt: TeamFourStar did a Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke and named their Kingler MC Pinchee, and I thought why not? and gave my Grubbin the same name.
Maggie the Midnight Lycanroc: Named after my uncles dog.
Atun the Wishiwashi: Tuna in Spanish
Bandit the Salazzle: Rhymed with Salandit
and
Bella the Kommo-o: Name of a wrestler and it's a fighting type.

I like my nicknames to be as silly as possible (or occasionally offensive). Sometimes I will have teams based around certain themes, or just come up with the stupidest, least appropriate names for just about anything.

I went for a mostly ridiculous set of nicknames for my moon play through, though I did wuss out and change my mimikyu because i developed far too much affection for the little critter and found myself using a nickname for her. Either way, here's what I ended up nicknamed from my moon playthrough, also I understand I am, at times, disgusting.

Torracat - Blink (Named after my cat, also female and not allowed to evolve past torracat as it will no longer be cute....)
Mudsdale - Derpyhooves
Toucannon - Flaps
Ribombee - Bullet
Meowth - Pudding
Grimer - Discharge
Vikkavolt - Tickles
Wishiwashi - Hookers
Wimpod - Blackjack
Fromantis - Tightsqueeze
Tsareena - Bouncee
Umbreon - Big Black
Minior - Burst
Crobat - Divebomb
ledyba - Yeast
Finneon - Gushing
Lunala - Sprinkles
Tapu Koko - Shocolate

I usually go for more meaningful names than silly ones, but sometimes I'll go with completely random names as well. These are the nicknames of my current Pokemon Sun team:

Salazzle: O-Ren Ishii - Named after a character from one of my favourite films of all time, Kill Bill Vol.1.

Incineroar: Blitz - This one is slightly more on the random side, but I guess I went with it because Incineroar is a Fire type. Then you have the move 'Flare Blitz', so yeah.

Shiny Lycanroc (Midnight): Sanic - Because she kinda looks like Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sanic is basically a derpy Sonic meme.

Primarina: Lana - Named after the singer, Lana Del Ray.

Golisopod: Ebirah - Named after a monster from the Godzilla franchise.

Lurantis: Ja'mie - Named after Ja'mie King from Summer Heights High.

I actually never nicknamed my Pokes 'til 6th gen... I like more serious names, but I do tend to go the silly route. Examples:

Red
Superleaf - Venusaur
Buff'n'Stuff - Wigglytuff
Janice - Seaking
Zapper - Magneton
Kingpin - Raticate

ORAS
Danger Zone - Sceptile (was watching Archer when I came up with it, :D )
Jasper - Ninjask
Maggie - Aggron
Nightfang - Mightyena
Francesca - Pelipper

Moon
Bliss - Primarina
Fun Dip - Alolan Muk
Lucca - Lilligant (because Chrono Trigger :) )
BananaBeak - Toucannon
Ramses - Alolan Marowak

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It's honestly a combination for me. Some Pokemon I name serious things, other I name silly things - and some names are meaningfully silly! Usually depends on what I'm playing, how deeply am I invested in it, and very often on the Pokemon itself - usually creatures I catch for novelty value (such as legends or one-offs) and don't intend to train get ridiculous names, and some species I cannot name serious things because I cannot take them seriously. This leads to some odd situations when I sometimes end up pulling something out of a box and end up using it because it has proven itself to the point It doesn't feel right to shove it back in a PC and forget about it.

... Thus I ran through Moon (my most recent run) with a Rockruff/Midnight Lycanroc named Doge. The rest of that team was a mix of serious names (Freya the Salazzle, Antares the Golisopod) and meaningfully-silly (Vic Viper the Vikavolt and Jareth the Decidueye) names. I think the one time in which I've played a run with entirely silly names was in XD: Gale of Darkness, and oh boy, some of the names I had there.

I'd list even more examples but with all my years of Pokemon I really don't feel like digging out huge name archives at the moment. Perhaps later.

Most of my Nicknames are just flat-out random for God's sake I named my Zygarde 10% Zygardoge
Chestnaught - Overgrown
Mewtwo - Savage
Lurantis - Pain
I'll edit this later on
Some of them actually do make sense but rarely understood for example
My Alolan Raichu - Cinnamon because of it's Cinnamon roll like ears
Darkrai - Void
I'll edit this too
And as for meaningful names I have none or one of them when I finish the League's
I can't even remember them

I don't usually nickname my Pokemon, but I've been doing it a lot recently. So here's one of my games where I nicknamed my Pokemon
Pokemon Sun
Daniel (Torracat) I named her that because of the final evolution and I needed a tough nickname! I was expecting a boy but got a girl so I named her Daniel anyways.
Yoosung (Yungoos) Because I'm Mystic Messanger trash and they share the same letters. He's a Gumshoos now but he's strong and I still love him!
Henry (Rockruff) Because he's such a sweet and cute Pokemon and Henry just seemed like a very fitting name for him!
Mario (Ratata) Because he looks like he has a Mustache so I thought Mario would fit.

I have a Salandit but I have no idea what to name him! Maybe I'll think of something soon.

I don't have my 3DS handy, so I can't check right now what my Sun team is named.

That said, certain Pokemon always get named certain things in my playthroughs. For example, Venusaur is always Whispy or Whispy Woods, and Blaziken is always NoMafiaTies (because why would a Blaziken have ties to the mafia?)

I had a team in Crystal Version where all the nicknames were bad puns:

Tyranitar Pit
DarkStormy Dragonite
Hawking A Lugia
Leaving Suicune (this one only works if you pronounce Suicune as suh-soon like I do. XD; )
Raikou d'Etat
Entei AtOwnRisk

A bit in between for me, I normally go with something that suits the mon and that sometimes ends up being silly. I also have a few go-tos for various species.

Some favorites:
Bas Rutten the Hariyama: Named after a real life fighter that is both imposing and quite lovable. To top it all off he excelled in the Pancrase tournaments which mainly consist of open hand/palm strikes which suits Hariyama's fighting style to a tee.

Fluke the Rotom: A name that I thought fit the jittery electric type and suited it's surprising nature. Pretty much every Rotom since has inherited the name.

Roland: The name is used for a variety of pokemon through out my playthroughs, normally goes to a 'mon that suits a guardian or bad ass persona. Off the top of my head there has been a Clauncher, a Chesnaught and a Scizor that have inherited the name. I choose this name because of my fondness for the Roland Deschain character from the Dark Tower series of books.

Cutlass: My tongue in cheek nickname for when I get a female of the honedge line.

Shardik: There's the Dark Tower references again. This nickname is reserved for bear pokemon like Ursaring or Beartic.

Smudge the Smeargle: A friends beagle was called that because of his coloration so I called my first smeargle that back in Gold and the name stuck. Suits the painting motif as well :D.

Izzy the Meowth: A staple for my little cup teams, named after my rascally cat.

And there are many more. I have nicknames that just stick to different species for years so I have quite a few doubles in my boxes from all the runs I do :blush:

My nicknames can be either meaningful, silly, or both. Or sometimes neither, really- it depends on whether or not inspiration strikes. If it does not, I nickname a Pokemon based on a human name I deem to be fitting, or a name relating to its type and/or appearance.

However, I do have a few "clever" (read: dumb and punny) nicknames I almost always give to a particular species of Pokemon. A couple examples of this would be Gulp the Wingull and Wicked the Litwick. (Yep.)

So, it honestly depends on whether or not the gods bless me with a terrible fantastic idea. Otherwise, I christen my friends gems like Todd the Ralts and Zoey the Zubat. Originality! :up:

My nicknames are usually just unusual ones I think sound cool. Either that, or they're from something, like a T.V. show or video game. They can even be something I had my family randomly pick out because I had no ideas!

Here's a list of all my Pokemon in Sun and their nicknames, I guess:

Kari the Stufful ~ This is a nickname for Karishma, which means "miracle." I chose this one since Stufful has a 5% catch rate, and it was one of the first Pokemon I encountered while searching for it. Plus, Kari just sounds super cute! I was considering Snuggle, though...

Frisk the Minior ~ I got this one from Undertale, of course, since both Frisk and Minior are gender neutral.

Bean the Alolan Raichu ~ Pichu is a smol bean that is too good for this world, too pure! The name simply stuck.

Glinda the Vaporeon ~ This is one of those names that my mum suggested to me when I asked for female names.

Metta the Decidueye ~ Here's the other Undertale one. Both the Pokemon and the robot are too fabulous!

Incineroar the Incineroar ~ Original, right? ;)
I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I got this guy from a trade, so I couldn't really rename him.

IN THE PC:

Violet the Drifloon ~ Well, Drifloon's purple, so... I was at a loss of names, alright?

Trixie the Trumbeak ~ My dad was the one to suggest this one when I asked, actually. I ended up using it, even though I already have a Lillipup character here with the same name.

Benji the Midday Lycanrock ~ Rockruff is an adorable little puppy dog! I've always liked the nickname for a dog, so this one was a definite from the start.

Uma the Grimer ~ I found this one while on a site, looking up names to use. It sounded cool, so I took it. :p

Generally I just make them up, although there are references for some of them. This is just a list of my favorite ones.

Carius the Chesnaught
Majora the Mightyena- reference to Majora's Mask (Zelda)
Shex the Luxray
Dragonslayer the Lucario- I taught it Dragon Pulse, so it's better than my others at defeating dragon type pokemon
Mystic the Articuno- Pokemon Go team
Zorro the Midnight Lycanroc
Shady the Zoroark
Crest the Blaziken

I don't do nicknames that often but for the alola region I decided to mix it up a bit...
for the first couple of pokemon at least( I meant to do more :C) I used a method where i would think of something its like then link that to something else for example for Primarina i first thought of bubblegum then linked it to bubbles and viola nickname
So here's what I got.

Toucannon- Jack Hammer -> JackJack
Araquanid- Astronaut -> Sputnik
Gumshoos- Rikki Tikki Tavi -> Taffy
Lunala- Nebby ( I know I'm not the only one!)
Raticate (Traded)- Great on ghost types -> Ghostbuster

I really should do more so I will edit this later

I don't do nicknames that often but for the alola region I decided to mix it up a bit...
for the first couple of pokemon at least( I meant to do more :C) I used a method where i would think of something its like then link that to something else for example for Primarina i first thought of bubblegum then linked it to bubbles and viola nickname
So here's what I got.

Toucannon- Jack Hammer -> JackJack
Araquanid- Astronaut -> Sputnik
Gumshoos- Rikki Tikki Tavi -> Taffy
Lunala- Nebby ( I know I'm not the only one!)
Raticate (Traded)- Great on ghost types -> Ghostbuster

I really should do more so I will edit this later
I nicknamed my Solgaleo, Nebby, so you aren't alone.
The other ones are awesome, too.

When it comes to nicknames, it just depends on my mood or the Pokemon. I'm a combat sports fan, so some of my Pokemon are named after fighters - Pyroar (Ronda), Gardevoir (Jo'Anna). I also watch WWE too, so I have Pokemon named after wrestlers - Ninetails (Sasha), Nidoqueen (Bayley), Vaporeon (Big Eevee).

My friend Jasmine is a Mets fan. When I got her friend Safari on Pokemon Y, I named Pokemon I caught after mets players - Charizard (Bartolo), Braxien (Synngard) and Delphox (DeGrom).

Usually, I tend to go for meaningful names, and I've gotten much more creative with them over the years. For instance:

My first ever pokemon, a piplup, was named Misty, after you-know-who

Then there was Yuki the tepig, and after that, Adelbert the snivy. I was really into Madoka Magica at the time, so all of my pokemon were named after the witches, and their familiars.

Then I named my fennekin Kitsune, just because I thought I fit.

After that came Blade the treecko, after its signature move, leaf blade.

And my most recent starter, my litten, is named Pokol, after the Hungarian word for hell, due to the Leviathan cross-like marking on its head...

My team back in Pokemon Silver have these Pokemon with nicknames:
Jaws-Feraligatr
Gnaws-Raticate(base on Jaws and also the fact that Raticate gnaws on everything as said in the pokedex)
Gigarados-Gyarados(since Gya and Giga kinda rhyme with eachother)
MariHo-Oh- Ho-oh(Its easy to see why)
Luigia- Lugia(So I can create The Super Mario Bros. In Pokemon XD)
(I never have a 6th slot because i always have too many option on what to put on my 6th slot)
From what you've seen up there, i tend to make silly and weird nicknames, when I actually bother to make one because I'm just too lazy. XD

I tend to name my pokemon something serious and silly though they're all mostly random. But in my longest playthrough of Soul Silver I had a team of this:
Rick the Meganium (I took rick out of the name of Chikorita and it was a male so...)
Asakane the Togekiss (Asakane was a name I came up with for a Pokemon OC once and while the OC didn't stick around, the name was too good to pass up)
Luna the dragonite (It took me two days straight to win a dratini from the voltorb flip game but when the second night came about, I finally won enough points and it was night time so I called her Luna)
Reaper the Ampharos - I actually thought that Ampharos looked like it wanted to reap someone's soul or whatever and plus Reap is in Mareep's name so i nicknamed my Mareep, Reaper and boy did it win me a lot of victories)
Frankie the Quagsire (I was watching that one episode of Charmed where Phoebe and Cole were possessed by these two old spirits that escaped from the netherworld or whatever and one of them was called Frankie so I was like, "Cool, I'mma name my Wooper, Frankie.")
Luigi the Lugia (My younger cousin, who loves Luigi, said Lugia sounds similar to Luigi so she told me to call it this and I did. I didn't name my lugia at first but my cousin asked me to)

and lastly, my extra back up, my Red Gyarados I named Scarlet because it's red.

I remember playing Pokemon Black and White, it's sequel, Y, Omega Ruby, and Moon on the day of their releases in their years respectively.

Pokemon White:
Serperior - Buraki (The main antagonist of Dragon Wars)
Lilligant - Iris (Megaman X4)
Haxorus - Galleth (Sly Cooper; Thieves in Time)
Druddigon - Komodo
Golurk - XJ-0 (cause why not?)
Hydreigon - Ghidorah (Godzilla franchise)

Pokemon Black 2:
Emboar - Porkchop
Flygon - Evinrude from The Rescuers
Excadrill - Sheera (literally no other name I could give her.)
Gliscor - GetOvrHERE (Mortal Kombat reference)
Unfezant - Octavio
Mienshao - Roo (again, only name I could come up with)

Pokemon Y:
Greninja - Tamama (after Tamama from Sergeant Frog)
Charizard - Dorathea (That one ghost dragon turning princess from Danny Phantom)
Lucario - Anubis (Egyptian God of the Afterlife)
Tyrantrum - Grimlock (Leader of the Dinobots from Transformers)
Mewtwo - ...never really thought of giving him one. I'd like to call him Frieza, but by then it was too late.
Yveltal - Sauron (The evil king from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy)

Pokemon Omega Ruby:
Sceptile - The Lizard from Spiderman
Pelipper - Orville from the first Disney's Rescuers movie, with Launchpad being my second option
Machoke - Bald Bull
Shiny Metagross - Just Metagross since it was an event pokemon
Latios - Jetfire from Transformers
Groudon - Abbadon *The biblical place of destruction, as well as the angel of the same name*

Pokemon Moon:
Incineroar - Tiger the Dark
Toucannon - Xixi from All Hail King Julian
Vikavolt - Sharpshot from Transformers
Mudsdale - Bojack from Bojack Horsemann's netflix original series
Lunala - Sailor Moon
Ariados - Muffet.

And I'm honestly eager as to what my team will be in Pokemon UltraSun when I get my filthy hands upon it.

Last edited:
My current nicknames for my team on Moon are
Robin Hood: Decidueye
Faren(short for Fahrenheit):Toucannon
President:Vikavolt(I think it would be good as our president in 2020 do you too?)
He Man: Dugtrio (just look it up already)
Cinder:Salazzle
Nebula: Lunala
A Scizor I got via GTS
Tony: Honchkrow
Dealer:Midnight form or Toph: Midday form lycanroc

And my OR team nicknames are

Poseidon: Swampert
Angel: Gardevoir
Reishi: Breloom
StormSpeed:Manectric
Mach: Swellow
Inferno: Magcargo

So those are my nicknames for OR and Moon Also I would like to give full credit to the name Reishi to Skrat123 over on PKMN.NET.

I love nicknaming Pokemon. My nicknames used to be awful, but I think they've improved. Here's my Sun team.

Arrow the Decidueye - Basically Green Arrow. That's what this guy is.
Magnus the Lycanroc (Midday) - Magnus is a cool dog name... I guess...
Phoenix the Talonflame - BECAUSE PHOENIX!
Snuffles the Stufful - I had a stuffed animal named Stuffles when I was younger. Also, Snuffles is staying a Stufful. Forever >:D No Bewear on my team!
Vee the Eevee - I really wanted a female Eevee from that Egg, but it was male. If it were female, it would've been Vivi. But when it evolves, I'll change its nickname.

I also have a Salandit named Salazar, Zygarde named Z, and Ribombee names Beeswax, but they're all on Poke Pelago. That island is pretty chill.

I usually do both but I try to go for more meaningful nicknames. Normally the names I give them would be a reference to something out of a movie, TV show, book, video game etc. For example, I named Moltres Moegami who is the fire god in Okami, and Noctowl Hedwig who is the owl from Harry Potter. If I can't come up with anything like that for certain Pokémon then I just make something up.

I usually like to have a specific theme for my nicknames, & then give my Pokémon ones that are meaningful &/or silly. From BW-ORAS, I’ve had an obsession with giving my Pokémon superhero-themed nicknames like Stalagsite the Crustle or Mudsmasher the Swampert.

For Sun & Moon, I tried to have my nicknames reflect Pokémon’s 20th anniversary. I nicknamed my Sun team after NPCs from the game & CotDs from the anime, while the ones from my Moon game are named after locations in the Kanto region. A few examples include Wallace the Primarina, Wally the Golisopod, Melvin the Exeggutor, Viridian the Dartrix, & Cinnabar the Salandit