• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Discussion

Revived seeds are fine but we should treat them how they are meant to be: rare and valuable items that we would not use unless absolutely necessary.

Also please note I will be creating summaries of each dungeon (including Pokémon and setting description), there will not be staircases like in the games as that would not make sense in the real world. If anyone is interested in creating a dungeon and or quest let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated and it would be fun to explore everyone else’s ideas!

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
Helping a Kadabra find a Twisted Spoon could be nice.

I might come up with a dungeon. I could use a bit of creative workout.

Oh, and I just remembered.

...we might have to ban the use of Recycle or heavily limit it. It's basically free seeds.

The inventory aspect and the different items are the biggest difference, it's overall very similar-- turn-based, moves mostly have the same effects and I won't fault you for using the standard effects since I have no memory whatsoever for which moves are different in PMD anyway.

Oh, also... question time, sorry Mango... orz... I assume hunger isn't held to strictly? Like, we just RP getting tired during long dungeons and eat Apples when we want to, or is there some other way you want to do it? Are thrown items and ranged moves a thing in this? :-O Lookalike items?
No problem, I’m always happy to answer questions! Hunger would be like it would in real life. If you eat before hand you’re probably gonna be fine, if your character feels hungry they can snack on an apple. But it won’t be like the games where you could die from not eating for an hour. Ranged moves are a thing like in traditional battles (I was thinking we would adopt an anime type battle system). For instance if Sol saw a Pokémon a short distance away he could shoot a flame burst at them before they reached him, but he couldn’t snipe a Pokémon on top of a faraway mountain. Thrown items (or really any items) will be incorporated into battle mechanics. Tiara, for example, could use a quick attack then dodge away from an opponent and throw thorns at them, or Tate could stun them with a stun orb then charge at them with a tackle.

Edit: Also as time goes on we could unlock better items (or simply “enchant” the ones we have now if you like how they look on your characters already) so we could have the effects of a pecha scarf or a special attack scarf. For instance, I plan to have Sol’s navy scarf gain the effects of a persim band (prevents confusion) and he will also acquire a charcoal later that when he holds in his mouth will boost his fire type attacks.

Another Edit: I actually just got the idea for a new store in Rustling Village: Brozong and Leavanny’s enhancement, boutique, and forgery. A strange stand that is like a combination of a blacksmiths and a French boutique where you can pay the odd duo to have your items enhanced (like Sol’s aforementioned scarf) or have them create items for you (but only ones that already exist in the games).

Last edited:
Sounds great! I guess how we want room-wide moves to work will end up depending on how the dungeons are laid out... I could see them being a bit too OP in some circumstances, like one-room caves and stuff. Up to you.

Gummis are a big thing in Sky that aren't in SMD. Eating them increases IQ. IQ... Mango, your thoughts on how you want IQ to work?

:D Tate can have a magical shawl! That is so good!! I love the shop idea, that's really nice!

Sounds great! I guess how we want room-wide moves to work will end up depending on how the dungeons are laid out... I could see them being a bit too OP in some circumstances, like one-room caves and stuff. Up to you.

Gummis are a big thing in Sky that aren't in SMD. Eating them increases IQ. IQ... Mango, your thoughts on how you want IQ to work?

:D Tate can have a magical shawl! That is so good!! I love the shop idea, that's really nice!
IQ can play a role and it can improve as we go on, but I mainly feel like it should just be an aspect of a character’s personality. As much as I loved the boosts while playing sky, it would get too crazy if we let people walk through walls just because they are smart. So mainly I would keep it as an aspect of personality but they will be able to learn tactics later on that help them be more effective without becoming overpowered, so you could learn one that teaches you to throw better so your ranged items do more damage, or be more accurate with your moves, etc. Basically, realistic things that they could learn as a result from experience (it won’t be contingent on gummies) are allowed and encouraged, but nothing over powered. If you have a good idea for an iq trait not presented in the games I would happily hear and and will likely approve as long as it makes sense and is not over powered.

Alright I can’t decide between these characters for my second, you guys choose. (I like way too many Pokémon)

Cool and smart Taillow
Goofy and clumsy Gible
Sweet and shy Cubone
Quiet and kind Alolan Sandshrew
Energetic and happy Marill
Good natured and friendly Shinx

I was slightly leaning towards Marill, or Alolan Sanshrew because their types seem the most different from those previously established (though we may end up with a glaceon depending on what @EeviumZ decides) but I have a soft spot for Cubone and Shinx since they were my characters for red rescue team and sky respectively. Let me know if any of you plan on making a second with the same type or species as one listed above, or if you simply would rather see one introduced more than the others. I will adjust accordingly.

I know it’s a little early but I thought I’d get it out there. Unlike the mystery dungeon games, all of you can feel free to evolve whenever, I’ll probably evolve Sol after the first couple of characters evolve (I feel like as the leader he shouldn’t be too far behind).

Also I have created a guild stats tab on the initial post (though they are underwhelming right now). If anyone has an idea for a guild name let me know, otherwise I’ll go the basic route and do Arcanine’s guild and have the base look like a large version of his head like in other games, though I would rather all our characters come up with a creative name and work together to make the unique tree house base.

Alright I can’t decide between these characters for my second, you guys choose. (I like way too many Pokémon)

Cool and smart Taillow
Goofy and clumsy Gible
Sweet and shy Cubone
Quiet and kind Alolan Sandshrew
Energetic and happy Marill
Good natured and friendly Shinx
I think the Goofy and clumsy Gible could be a good choice. I mean, when the spirits are low, like when somebody died (Arceus bless), he could raise everyone's spirits by telling jokes and stuff. Or you know, he could raise everyone's spirits by tripping on a pebble.

Sorry, but since I'm really nitpicky about this sort of thing and it seems like it caused a little confusion, I believe the word you were looking for might have been "complement," which has the meaning that I think you were going for.
Oh haha whoops thanks for correcting me, grammar has never been my strong suit

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
I've decided that Eve's evolution is going to be Sylveon, for a couple of reasons:
1) She'll absolutely hate it. Being covered in pink sparkles, bows, and ribbons is a living nightmare for her. She'll have to learn how to adapt to her new form and accept that her appearance doesn't matter, that she's still Eve. (It also gives the opportunity for some comedic relief.)
2) Sylveon would be a valuable asset to the team, with a lot of different moves that can do a lot of different things.

Her current moveset is Sparkly Swirl, Helping Hand, Quick Attack, Swift, Bite, Shadow Ball, and Iron Tail.
Her final moveset before evolving will be Sparkly Swirl, Helping Hand, Double-Edge, Swift, Iron Tail, Shadow Ball, Hyper Voice, and Wish.

Here are the missions:
Description: This bully has been beating up and stealing from travelers who pass through!
Client: Sheriff Farfetch’d
Objective: Take Down Zangoose
Difficulty: D
Reward: $2000 poké

Description: I lost my black belt in the Whistling Woods. That item is very important to me, my big brother Hitmonchan gave it to me for my birthday. Please find it!
Client: Tyrogue
Objective: Find Black Belt
Difficulty: E
Reward: $500 poké + ?

I added an Exploration Request template to the first post in case you guys want to make your own.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
Here's a dungeon I came up with.

It's called Crystal Caverns. It's home to mostly Rock, Fairy, Psychic, Dark, and Ghost Pokemon.
It's a cavernous landscape, with hundreds of multicolored crystals embedded in the walls. They glow in the darkness, emitting a multicolored glow.
Pokemon found here: the Clefairy line, Sableye, Carbink, the Geodude line, the Misdreavus line, the Snorunt line, the Poochyena line, and the Sneasel line.
They're easy to get lost in, with so many paths. However, it is said that great treasure lurks in its depths.

Looks good! Though it will probably be introduced later as it seems a bit too advanced to start with.

Important!

Speaking of dungeons I just added a dungeons tab to the first post that has information on the dungeons for the first two missions and will be updated as we continue.

I also would like to point out that you may all free feel to rp your own wild encounters, I do not need to write for every encounter. Just whoever introduces the opponent must role play for them for the duration of the battle.

As far as bosses or clients (like Zangoose and Tyrogue) go I will rp them for now since I created the exploration request, but if any of you decide to create a request you are responsible for playing the client or outlaw.

Anyone may feel free to rp their interactions with shop keepers in Rustling Village.

I will be adding all this information to the first page.

I also added a general notes tab to the first page where I have posted my answers to some of the questions that have come in discussion. I’m sorry if I seem a little over bearing with these posts but my goal is to create the most organized rp yet so it lasts a long time.

Let me know what you think: I was debating introducing a system where I will keep track of the money the guild would have as a result of doing explorations.... this way we can choose to purchase big things that would benefit the whole guild when we reach landmarks. Like maybe at $100,000 we can upgrade the guild base to be the treehouse, or at $15,000 we could afford to go on a large scale exploration.

Name: Mango
Nickname: N/A
Species: Gible
Ability: Sand Veil
Appearance: Mango has various cuts and scratches all over his body as a result of his clumsiness. He also wears a yellow scarf.
Personality: Mango, while good natured and very kind, is not the brightest Pokémon. He lacks basic common sense and will often mess up the easiest of commands. Mango is also very clumsy, he will knock things over and trip on air. He is shockingly strong, though he can be easily defeated by the simplest of strategies. Nonetheless his passion for exploring makes him a valuable and fun addition to any team.
Role: Wild Card
Moveset: Dig, Sand Attack, Dragon Rage, Metal Claw
Background: Mango went to the same Pokémon school as Sol growing up, just a year below in age. He admires the Growlithe’s proficiency in exploration and leadership and looks at him as a role model. Mango is often exploring easy dungeons on his own just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Aaaaand here’s a new character.

Name: Lily

Nickname: Whatever nickname people give her.

Species: Psyduck

Ability: Swift Swim

Appearance:

Personality: Always cheerful and usually very ditzy, Lily has an extremely short memory/attention span, and usually cannot remember what she is supposed to be doing for more than a minute, but usually more like 20 seconds. She is very kind and compassionate, and loves making friends, but she will forget who you are if you don’t see her very often. She is almost always good-natured towards others, but she may get angry if you hurt one of her friends. Of course, she’ll probably be apologizing a few minutes later because she will have forgotten why she fought you. Oh, and like most Psyduck, she gets severe headaches.

Role: ...emotional support???

Moveset: Scratch, Water Gun, Confusion, Disable

Background: Attwnded the same school as Sol. They were... friendly rivals? That’s the term, I guess... but basically, she got kicked out because she forgot everything she was taught. So she has been looking for an explorer’s guild to join, because how could she possibly mess that up? (Cough LOTS OF WAYS cough). Just because she had a hard time with school doesn’t mean she isn’t smart... she just never remembered the things she was supposed to remember. She has been making a living by... oof, guess what, she hasn’t been making a living... she... is probably surviving on charity, honestly... lmk if you guys have suggestions.

Other: DERP

EDIT:

Yay! I can’t wait for hangout time either! I think you all will enjoy...

=) Only 3 Left.

Last edited:

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
OKAY. This needs to be cleared up.
Dunsparce? Yep, that can bite.
Lapras? Yes, that too.
The Gible line, one of which has a massive toothy mouth, one of which literally has bite in its name, and one that has the word "chomp" in its name? NOPE, they obviously can't bite things!

Oh, and GROWLithe... cannot... learn... Growl.

(End rant. I'm not sorry.)

All jokes aside, I love Mango. He's amazing. Same goes for Lily.