• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution US Home Video Release Announced

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Mewtwo strikes back.jpg
It has been announced that the 3D CG remake of Pokémon: The First Movie, Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution will be getting a home video release in the US.

The movie will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray on the 17th of November 2020. At present the film hasn't been licensed for a home video release elsewhere yet, but we imagine the UK, Europe Australia and the like won't be too far behind.

It is worth noting that although Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution is available worldwide on Netflix with both an English dub and Japanese audio, the home video release will only contain the English dub.

Will you be picking it up? Let us know in the comments below!

Honestly no. The CG on the humans was creepy and only looked good on the Pokemon. That and it felt like a waste of a movie for something new (there was never a Sun/Moon anime movie for example), and felt like another attempt to pander to Kanto fans who hadn't watched in 20 years. Which begs the question, why?

Considering Misty was disliked by most of the original fans in Johto over 20 years ago, and Brock got really stale by DP, I'm not even sure who this was aimed at. Most 25-30+ year old adults have either long moved on from the anime and don't care for Misty/Brock much anymore, (both of them have been gone from the anime for decades besides brief cameos in SM), and younger fans grew up with all the other companions instead from the more recent seasons. While seeing Mewtwo in CG was cool, that's about all I can say it has going for it. The original film is far superior.

Also to a lesser extent if you're watching the dub, of course all the 4kids voices are replaced with the current cast, so Misty and Brock don't even sound like they did in 1998, which kills any nostalgia this might have had. Then again given this is an original series movie, Misty/Brock aren't much more than glorified background characters the whole film and don't do much of anything anyway while Ash does everything, but I guess that was the same as their roles in the series at the time too.

I remember when I was younger I burned out a DVD of the Original Pokemon Movie... So, I feel that the CGI animation in this movie is not quite at the level of the original in terms of the nostalgia and the rest of the memories... although I may watch on Youtube or otherwise when it becomes available simply to see how the movies differ (if at all) since the Trailer appears to follow identical movement paths for lots.