• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PokeMon lines that just NEED extending...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Due to Gen4's amazing tendency to sprout pre-evos and evos... What pre-evos/evos would you just LOVE to see? ^^

Here's my partial list...

I'd love to see a Dragon/Bug evolution for Yanma. It's a PokeMon with a LOT of missed-out potential, just because it's another Bug/Flying. With a meh-ish moveset. It could be much better. A dragon-type addition (it IS a dragonfly after all) as well as a lightly adjusted moveset (with some proper bug moves, maybe), could highly boost its worth.

Nyura (I despise its english name, so I'm avoiding its use) could also use an evolution. I mean, it's a bad-ass critter, with a rather limited moveset and weak stats. It could use a boost, too... Maybe actually doing something about that Ice-type half of its which no one is quite sure why is there. ^^;

I'd also LOVE to see a Dark/Steel evolution for Mawile... I find Mawile to be terribly cute but as it turns out, it's not TOO useful in battle. It's more of a characteristic dark-type than a steel-type, to be honest... So the type fits. And yeah. ^^;

Last but not least - Masquerain. It needs to be Water/Bug again. And have levitate. And if not it - at least an evolution of its. I just really like that thing and I wish it actually was worth using. Why do so many bug/flying combinations suck? ^^;

I'd like to see some alt-evos too... Scyther could use one (which isn't so... waspy. Don't get me wrong, I love Scizor, but I think that It just doesn't seem to fit in after Scyther...).

But yeah. What do you think could be useful? ^^

In the new gen 4 I would like to see evee evolve by leaf stone. maybe its name would be called floreon considering flora means plants but what I really would want is for staryu to have another evolution because its my favourite pokemon.They should also come out with a water pokemon thats based of a dolphine.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I REALLY don't get what's so wrong with Sneasel :p. It seems like a fine enough name to me. Better than Manetric at any rate.

I'm not really sure what i'd want in terms of evos and pre-evos, i'm pretty content with what we have. Although, if we're having a pre-evolution of Snorlax and a pre-evolution of Sudowoodo - i'm guessing it's really not farfetched at all to suggest that at least one Gen 3 Pokemon will get a pre-evo.

If the bastards touch Absol though, I will fly over to Ken's house and murder him in his bed. I swear to God...

Roselia could possibly do with an evolution. Dunno into what, but it wouldn't hurt it either asthetically or power-wise. Then again, it's a grass Pokemon so we KNOW that's not going to happen. Damn bastards and their anti-grass bias.

I think Kecleon evolving could be pretty cool, and the idea of a Dusclops pre-evo that was bounding around as a fake for one of the shadows certainly would be entertaining.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, but Dusclops has a pre-evolution... Duskull. ;P

And read my lips.

Eevee. Is not. Going to get. A leaf stone evolution. Ever. It's going to go against so many game mechanics. Besides, five Eeveelutions are enough. (...Says the man who made up at least four Eeveelutions. X_x)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wouldn't be so sure. I think there may indeed be another Eevee-evo somewhere down the road. Just seems like the type of thing they'd do out of popular demand. And seriously, none of us saw Espeon and Umbreon coming, eh?

Yanma I fully agree with. It's a dragon fly Pokemon, so it'd only be natural that it'd evolve into a full dragon. We also don't have that type of combo yet...

Murkrow is another I think could benefit from an evolution. I know some people use it and say it's good enough, but to me it seems too average... No more powerful than Scyther. An evo for it could also look pretty damn cool if they got it right.

I'll try to think of more when I've actually looked through the Pokemon lists.

I also think lapras should have a baby form.(IF) you get munchlax by breeding two snorlaxs with one holding lax incense then maybe two lapas' with one holding sea incense will get you a lapras baby form ^_^ plus both snorlax and lapras don't have any further evolutions or pre evolutions.

That actually sounds like a good idea, but I'd most like to see an evolution for Castform, though I know it'll NEVER EVER happen. Castform is one of the most useful Pokemon I have.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Yeah, old topic but I'm Nem so I'm allowed.

This topic is interesting now- Roselia evo and Pre evo, Dusclops Evo, a GRASS Eevee ("
Eevee. Is not. Going to get. A leaf stone evolution. Ever. It's going to go against so many game mechanics. Besides, five Eeveelutions are enough. (...Says the man who made up at least four Eeveelutions. X_x)") and Weavile.

We are indeed geniuses.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If you are Persian, stop reading now :p

Wouldn't be so sure. I think there may indeed be another Eevee-evo somewhere down the road. Just seems like the type of thing they'd do out of popular demand. And seriously, none of us saw Espeon and Umbreon coming, eh?

Yanma I fully agree with. It's a dragon fly Pokemon, so it'd only be natural that it'd evolve into a full dragon. We also don't have that type of combo yet...

Murkrow is another I think could benefit from an evolution. I know some people use it and say it's good enough, but to me it seems too average... No more powerful than Scyther. An evo for it could also look pretty damn cool if they got it right.

Yeah, I got all of my wants answered, except for Yanma's evo ending up as another Bug/Flying... Seriously. Why ruin a perfectly good opportunity to give us a unique type combo (Bug/Dragon) which would make sense?

Yes, I've complained about this before, and no, I'm still not over it nor ever will be until (a) we get a different Bug/Dragon line, or (b) Megayanma gets an evo of its own in the future :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, well, Yanma was the original dragonfly. Vibrava/Flygon just tread on its design.

As much as I love Flygon for being part Ground, it would've made just as much sense if it were part Bug instead. But it isn't, and Yanma's evo could've/should've been. Did we really need yet another Flying/Bug? Might have a good ability and SP. Attack stat, but still. Redundant type-wise.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Trapinch is cool though, I wouldn't get rid of it. Although Megayanma is cool, a dragon/bug would have been better. Hm, maybe bumping this wasnt such a good idea, we should be using the Review thread for this stuff XD

And the weird thing is, Trapinch, Vibrava and Flygon are actually antlions.

Edit- I just thought of a better reason why Megayanma still wound up being Bug/Flying. Having Megayanma be a Bug/Dragon would clash was the mechanics in the games. Dustox, Venomoth, Beedrill, Mew, Mewtwo, Geodude and others I won't bother to list I can stand being able to fly/float despite game mechanics, but that's besides the point. It would make no sense for a Pokemon the can fly in accordance to the game mechanics to evolve into one that that's not supposed to but do it anyway. And having Megayanma be Bug/Dragon with Levitate still wouldn't make sense because Yanma is Bug/Flying.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
There are lots of evolution type changes, so why would that be any different? It just hasn't been done before. "Sense" doesn't mean a whole lot when Pokemon is involved either.

I personally don't see much issue with a Bug/Dragon with Levitate. Levitate is more or less the answer for Pokemon like that, which is why Vibrava/Flygon have it. And keep in mind, Flygon learns the Fly HM despite not being a Flying-type.

Well, then Megayanma would miss out on either having an automatic boost of speed between turns or having the power of one of its attacks increased after proving to be ineffective.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, it really is a great ability (the speed boost one, that is).

Bug/Dragon + speed boost would pwn, but it'd probably be too cheap. So I dunno. More interesting type, or a redundant type combo with cool abilities?

Still think I'd go for the more interesting type to be honest, but Megayanma'll get use just for that Speed Boosting ability alone. The second ability is nice, too, but I'd rather the other.

Well, wishing will get us nowhere and we're stuck with what we got. So, we'll just have to except Megayanma for what Satoshi Tajiri intended on it *wonders if that last part came out right*.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
See, bottom line in this case: It didn't happen, but it should have, and I'm disappointed because of it. It was a waste of a good Pokemon evo - I've more than enough proven that point, very reasonably too - and it will always be as such, whether or not "what's done is done". Just because that's how it turned out doesn't mean it was the best course of action.

At least Diamond and Pearl have given us many other interesting new type combos, it just also gave us a few redundant ones - and many more useless Water-types. The fact that a lot of the more interesting Dragons are Legendaries this gen is a bit annoying, too. For one, non-evolving Pokemon are fairly boring to train. For another, you only get them later in the game and - aside from the freak that is Manaphy - can't breed them.

But eh. At least there were new dragon-types at all. Fire-types still got shafted the most, as usual.

Yeah, well... I'm not dissapointed. In, fact there are very few Pokemon I don't like. Well, maybe I am a smidge unhappy about the lack Fire and Ice type Pokemon. Why are people complaing about having only 33 Fire-type Pokemon out of 493 while there's only 22 Ice-types?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Because a large chunk of those Fire-types are starter-related (not to mention that the ONLY wild Fire-type in DP pre-Nat dex is an OLD Pokemon), and Ice-types are meant to be rarer, like Dragons, Ghosts, etc. But people DO complain about the lack of Ice-types, repeatedly :p

There are very few Pokemon I don't like either. Megayanma I actually find to be really cool. Being disappointed in its type, though, doesn't mean I don't like it. It's just like Gokazaru (who I love) and Gabrias. They're cool Pokemon, but their redundant type-combos make 'em much less unique. Sadly, by some Gokazaru will always be viewed as the Blaziken rip-off.

But this is getting off-topic.

Now that we know which Pokemon got new evos/pre-evos, I'd say that further ones I'd like to see now are a baby Lapras, and either a baby Heracross or an evo for it. Farfetch'd could also use an evo, and I've always said Tauros, but that's mostly because a baby would be super cute and an evo could be awesome.

I agree. I'd like to see a prevo and / or evo for Tauros. It'd be even more fly if the prevo was shared with Miltank.

How about an evo of miltank. Normal/Steel. It could have machine gun-esque utters. YAY. XD

Well, How about a prevo for Onix? I mean Snorlax got one, why not the big ol' Rock Snake? It would basically be like Dratini, except made from a string of boulders. I also think Scyther should have a baby form. A non-Legdendary Pokemon that's as powerful as Scyther should evolve from something, right? Although, the only thing I can think of is just a chibi Scyther without wings and Sneasel's claws.

If Miltank's going to have an evolved form [size=10pt]that I hope isn't as twisted as Ultracow's[/size], Tauros should have an evolved form too. I think of it, a Normal/Fighting type Minotaur would rock!! ;D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That it would, and a perfect way to envision a Tauros evo, too =D

Minotaur Pokemon ftw ^^

Totally agree about Onix, too. It'd make sense that something as big as it had a previous stage. Roselia got a pre-evo AND evo, so why not Onix?

Maybe Volbeat and Illumise should have a shared split-prevo. Glow-worm in a tuxedo, anyone ;D?

And Jynx definately needs an evolved form. Perhaps it should be like some Ice Sorceress.

I personally am happy that they kept yanma as bug/flying, I don't like many dragon types really.
Also after using Yanma as a reversaller on my metagame team for so long has made me really enjoy it having its part flying ability just for getting stab on hp flying as a move to use against more bulky grass types such as meganium which arent ohkod by reversal.
Oh, and at least they made the new eeveelutions not coming from elemental stones, it still doesnt have a leaf stone evo :p

Just looked at megayanma's other nature actually, it could be very useful, the amount of people who switch a ghost type in when you begin reversalling, it would boost reversal for use against the rest of their team, making it a very evil pokémon to play against in theory... =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Color Glasses really activate after using an attack that the opponent is immune to? I thought it only works if the foe resists an attack. Besides, Megayanma has a base 116 SP. Attack stat that can reach a maximum of 364 with a Beneficial nature. Wouldn't make sense to make Megayanma a Special Sweeper.

Back on topic: I think Pineco should have a male-exclusion alternate-evolution. I mean Kirlia and Snorunt both recieved and alternate evolution that were exclusive to one gender (Erlade's male-only and Yukimenoko's straight-female), why not Pineco?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
How about an evo of miltank. Normal/Steel. It could have machine gun-esque utters. YAY. XD

Miltank's udder has scarred me for life as it is. I really did not need that visual.

(Sensible discussion of this topic to come after I've finished scrubbing my brain out with soap.)

Dearest, Darling Stel-

I would have to STRONGLY disagree with you on Mawile being less than useful. . . my mawile and my Absol are basically my entire team, and carried me through just fine. I would like to see a pre-evo for it tho. and i've always wanted an evo of jynx, and a pre-evo of growlithe. for no real reason.

Maybe an evo of skarmory. and i completely love the idea of a pre-evo for Onix. .. it's be adorable! And a cool alt-evo for scyther. . .Because Scyther has always been one of my favourites.

. . .And Scizor was the biggest dissapintment of my life.

STEELwtf? that doesn't even remotely make sense.

Giving Skarmory an Evo would become the most broken pokémon in the whole game, it'd be almost as bad as giving blissey en evo... A pre-evo for skarmory would be sweet, although I think I might enjoy KOing them a little bit too much... I hate skarmory... *grunts*

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got another idea. Mimirol needs a male-exclusive evolution. Mimilop's appearance has obvisously been recognized as feminine and if Kirlia was given a male-exclusive alternate evo, why not Mimirol?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
... No comment. Just NO comment. Do NOT get me started on this subject. The gender-specific alt-evos piss me off enough as is. >>

Now an evolved Scyther could make a wonderful bug/dragon

I think Bunyatto should be given an evolution with GOOD stats, maybe a DIFFERENT type than Normal, and an appearance that isn't horribly ugly...-_- I'd even settle for similar stats and Normal-type if it wasn't horrible to look at. *is shallow*

It said it was a tiger Pokemon, right? I've had some good ideas for tigers in the past...I guess I could try fleshing one out. I think an ice-type or a secondary flying-type could go well with the coloration and design (especially the flying-type). ^_^ Blue tigers that LOOK LIKE TIGERS and not OVERWEIGHT ANGRY HOUSE CATS would pwnz0r. I mean...I think it's degrading to house cats. -_-;;

And Nyaruma was so cute, too...*sigh* I guess there's always Gen. 5 to hope for?