• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Pokemon Isles (Discussion)

When a visit to a pokemon themed resort island goes awry, trainers are trapped with no pokemon and no way of escaping! To make matters worse, the power at the resort has gone out, and conditions have become inhospitable. The trainers were taken to a nearby island, Goodhill Island, and have been living under the care of the people in Meadow Town for a day or so. Then the trainers learn that the islands, are in fact, populated by pokemon, and there is even an official gym challenge registered for the region! Excited, some consider asking the local Professor Driftwood for a pokemon to begin a new journey with...

Rules:
  • I don't need a character sheet, just put your trainers name and info above your posts, like this:
Name | Age | Home Region (Preferably Canonical) | Pokemon at front of party
  • You can also include a one-line discription underneath in italics, but it is not required.
  • You can have more than one character, but only 5 per player and one must be your active and most used one. You can't have your players interact for your own gain.
This is the discussion thread, not the rp thread! I will be posting the rp thread soon.
Talk about ideas, plots, and suggestions here. Please don't be antagonistic about your comments however. Consturctive criticism is fine.

I think I can join since I have enough time to do so now. I will only use one character.

I'll explain her into more detail in the discussion for some posterity (and for me to look back on).

How do these trainers lose their Pokemon? If a more seasoned trainer is careful, they'll have secure their PokeBalls to something (like in a bag or on their belt) and make sure all of their Pokemon are accounted for. Plus, when the resort island does go awry, why don't the Pokemon stay as close to their trainers as possible? I get that it's a disaster, confusion sets in, and people and Pokemon get separated, but if a more seasoned trainer has seasoned Pokemon (I'm talking about being a year on a journey), how would they lose sight of each other? And most trainers wouldn't even want to leave the island, the inhospitable conditions having been forgotten as they search for their Pokemon. Where do the Pokemon go? Do the characters get to find them again in the new region?

Sorry, just things I need to know before I make a post.

I think I can join since I have enough time to do so now. I will only use one character.

I'll explain her into more detail in the discussion for some posterity (and for me to look back on).

How do these trainers lose their Pokemon? If a more seasoned trainer is careful, they'll have secure their PokeBalls to something (like in a bag or on their belt) and make sure all of their Pokemon are accounted for. Plus, when the resort island does go awry, why don't the Pokemon stay as close to their trainers as possible? I get that it's a disaster, confusion sets in, and people and Pokemon get separated, but if a more seasoned trainer has seasoned Pokemon (I'm talking about being a year on a journey), how would they lose sight of each other? And most trainers wouldn't even want to leave the island, the inhospitable conditions having been forgotten as they search for their Pokemon. Where do the Pokemon go? Do the characters get to find them again in the new region?

Sorry, just things I need to know before I make a post.
So i made a revised version of this so that its regular people instead of trainers, but my logic there was that they left at home to go on the exclusive cruise.

None of my characters would leave their Pokemon at home to enjoy something only meant for humans. That's kind of selfish. Why can't we have regular trainers take their Pokemon with them to this new region? Why doesnt the cruise ship have accommodations for having Pokemon on board? Why doesn't the resort have stuff for Pokemon as well, since they are a large part of society (so much so that you not having one can sometimes shun you from different media). They have technology to keep Pokemon moves from damaging the ship and island and, if there is an issue, trainers, who have gone on journies, need their Pokemon because they understand something bad can go wrong and having a Pokemon on hand can help ease their anxieties or paranoia.

None of my characters would leave their Pokemon at home to enjoy something only meant for humans. That's kind of selfish. Why can't we have regular trainers take their Pokemon with them to this new region? Why doesnt the cruise ship have accommodations for having Pokemon on board? Why doesn't the resort have stuff for Pokemon as well, since they are a large part of society (so much so that you not having one can sometimes shun you from different media). They have technology to keep Pokemon moves from damaging the ship and island and, if there is an issue, trainers, who have gone on journies, need their Pokemon because they understand something bad can go wrong and having a Pokemon on hand can help ease their anxieties or paranoia.
Well, see, I didn't say my logic was sound XD
But like I said, I changed it so it's mostly just regular people. I was just trying to set up a whole starter situation and have an excuse for the people there to not already have pokemon. Maybe you have a better idea? XD

Maybe instead of making it only for trainers who want to go on a island resort, you can have the island be a resort itself with a new up-and-coming gym challenge that welcomes mostly beginning trainers. I dont mean beginning by age, but I mean ones who have never had a Pokemon before or ones who haven't used their Pokemon in anything besides being a friend or a pet.

How difficult is the gym challenge compared to the other gym challenges in other regions? I'm assuming the one in Galar and Sinnoh are extremely difficult. While they are all difficult in their own right, I believe Unova and the Kanto League were kind of easy in comparison to the rest of them.

For the last time, I said Regular people!
Not trainers.

Also I'd say it's moderately difficult like sinnoh.
The main challenge comes from the typings, ill show you:
Gym 1: Dark
Gym 2: Ground
Gym 3: Bug
Gym 4: Ice
Gym 5: Flying
Gym 6: Ghost
Gym 7: Fairy
Gym 8: Electric

Last edited:
Ohhhh gotcha. So yes, a resort with regular people is doable. People who don't have Pokemon are likely shunned in their circles but these guys are usually in big corporate jobs, so they likely have the money to get away from it all and enjoy life a little.

And I was talking more about the gym leaders and the elite four themselves. And the champion. Not their types.