• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver site open, other miscellaneous info

Not to bump down Doc's awesome Sonic post (seriously, check it out, it's right down there), but the HeartGold/SoulSilver website is now open. Check it out here. Nothing we didn't already know on it, but the art is nice, and it looks from one of the screenshots that the Itemfinder is now the Dowsing Machine, as it was in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum - or, at least it is in the Pokewalker.

Incidentally, the confirmation of the Dowsing Machine's name confirms at least one item on Serebii's list of English names. The names have yet to be confirmed in any official capacity, but if you like, you can check them out here. The only other name on there confirmed is the female playable character's name - Kotone is now known as Lyra. Kotone's name comes from a string instrument, as does Lyra's. Pokemon.com confirmed that name here.

In other HG/SS news, it looks like the slot machine minigame, present in all versions of Pokemon until DPP (where they were taken out of the European release), will be removed from English releases. It will instead be replaced by a minigame named Voltorb Flip, which is described by Official Nintendo Magazine as a cross between Minesweeper and Picross. Their review covers the game in more detail. ONM notes that they were playing the UK version, but they also repeatedly say the game is in the English-language version of the game. So take it as you will.

I have mixed feelings about the removal of the slot machines. I never use them, so I'm kind of glad to have something else to play. I bet I won't play it much either because I just buy coins instead of gambling for them - much faster. I also wish they didn't take it out because it is a staple of the games. They have been in every game that's come out in the US until now.

removing the slots angeres me, i never use them but so what the world is getting too kid-friendly, the certainly dont make us gamble and actually might help someone who does becuase it can be done for free and you can actually get something from it (pokemon)

Personally, I'm looking forward to this minigame addition. I'm going to appreciate a game based on skill and though instead of luck.

What? I hate that they took out the Game Corner slot machines. I loved spending hours in front of it, playing.

At least Lyra's a decent name.

Ugh, I hate Minesweep so I think this game will suck and be unwinable like that crap game in Mauville City. Like Secad I preferred the slots--particularly the ones in DPPt because you could consistently win. Of course, I shouldn't knock it before I try it so I'll be open to this new game. XD

I love the English names overall as well. The only one I dislike is Proton.

I am very angered that the slots were taken out... I was like a Slot-Psycho and in the old and new versions i knew how to time it exactly!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'(