• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Game Show News Round-Up

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Screenshot_08_01_2013_11_32.jpg
Yesterday saw the first of the Pokémon Game Show events take place in Japan, and as expected the show brought with it quite a few interesting details to do with Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. The show also revealed a new anime special based off of the first generation games.[prebreak][/prebreak]

Yesterday saw the first of the Pokémon Game Show events take place in Japan, and as expected the show brought with it quite a few interesting details to do with Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. The show also revealed a new anime special based off of the first generation games, so if you wish to know more then read on!

We'll start off with the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y news. First off it has been revealed that if you want to Mega Evolve a Pokémon in battle we have a button placed next to the move selection which you can press in order to Mega Evolve your Pokémon as long as the Pokémon is holding its Mega Stone. It has also been confirmed that choosing to Mega Evolve your Pokémon doesn't waste a turn in battle and you'll still be able to attack during the same turn.

It has also been confirmed that Fire-Type Pokémon are resistant to Fairy-Type Attacks, however Fairy-Types themselves take neutral damage from Fire-Type moves. Speaking of Fairy Pokémon, Sylveon was quietly confirmed to have the Cute Charmability, quite fitting of such a cute Eeveelution. It was also revealed that we no longer have to hold down the B button in order to run as running is now the default in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, with holding the B button down now allowing you to simply walk.

pokmon%20the%20origin%20poster.jpg

One of the biggest announcements to come from the Pokémon Game Show was the reveal of a brand new anime special that will be airing in Japan on the 2nd of October. The special will go by the name of Pokémon: The Origin and is focused on the first generation of Pokémon and will be following the adventures of Red and Blue. While not much else is known about the special at the moment, a trailer for it has been released by the official Japanese YouTube channel and shows us that Red will be meeting Brock and Lance during his travels as well as doing battle with Blue.

If you wish to view the trailer then you can do so right here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Pokemon: The Origin has made me squee and explode with love! It's no secret that I'm not a fan of what the Anime has become over the years so seeing a new one based on the games is refreshing and limits the amount of disappointment (hopefully). I'm curious to see if this will follow a similar route to Pokemon Special where it follows the game path with an original story or if it will follow the game storyline to the letter. Also, even though it is based on Gen I, I'm also interested if they'll just have Red and Green or if Blue (the female Trainer) will join them in some way.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Psycho Monkey said:
I'm curious to see if this will follow a similar route to Pokemon Special where it follows the game path with an original story or if it will follow the game storyline to the letter.

It sounds like it's going to follow the games closely, I think in a way it's a history lesson to the newer generation about what Red/Blue/Green were to the fans who grew up with them.

I really do like the idea of this, but I'm not all that fond of Red's design and what we've seen of him. He looks like a really goofy kid, and when I think of Red that's not how I think of him - in the games, Adventures or otherwise. The hair just doesn't look right to me either and it's rather off-putting to me. Will never be able to see this guy as Red. </3

I like the way things are going about the new Special. But Red's hair.. :'(

Blue doesn't seem half-bad

Brock seems reborn... in a new light :-I

Wish they started an anime for the Pokemon Adventures Manga and produce it for teens... well, not the kiddy way the main anime is. I'd bet we'd get way more fans than for the regular anime.

This is the first time since Gen. 2 that I feel excited for a Pokemon anime! I've been dancing and crying since watching that trailer! :D

((Also the fire type news is cool..))
Anime! WHOO! :D

I don't quite understand... Wasn't Red's rival supposed to be named Blue, like in the Pokemon Adventures Manga? Or is he supposed to be Green, and the Female Trainer named Blue? This confuses me a bit, I noticed that Red was in HG/SS and Blue was the Gym leader... So is he Blue or Green?

Oh, this special sounds absolutely wonderful! I've never played the original Pokemon games, so seeing this will help teach me about the story of that game(hopefully)! :D

The default running is going to take some getting used to. The adjustment from pressing START for the menu to pressing X for it was probably easier. I remember having this same problem when playing a Final Fantasy game, as that's how they did it(running default, holding B for slow walk), which confused me immensely. Now I have to worry about this when playing any Pokemon game before Gen VI.

That being said, I really do like this feature. Holding the B button down for so long has become very tedious, so I'm all for it!

Last edited: