• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon event rules in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okey dokey then, I would like to ask everyone how they feel about Garchomp not being accepted in the event :o even though Mespirit, Uxie, Azelf, Latios, Latias, and the Regi's ARE accepted. I think statistically, Garchomp is very good thats why i have a EV'd one in my team, but i think that if your letting all the above Legendaries in, you might aswell let either Garchomp or ALL Legendaries in, it is quite stupid. ??? What do you think?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It was actually the competitive battlers from various Pokemon communities online who felt that Garchomp is an incredibly brutal Pokemon when used properly. It's generally accepted by them that most legendaries are not necessarily much better than non-legendaries, too, because while they are "legendary Pokemon" their stats and movesets aren't necessarily that amazing.

In the end, it was a majority rules call, so can't really call the decision stupid without dissing the majority of competitive players who wanted it that way.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
To be honest, I was slightly against Garchomp being banned since I do know of ways of beating the thing, regardless of how "unbeatable" some have claimed it to be. Saying Garchomp is unbeatable is an outright lie, however I've tested the thing competitively and it is far, far more dangerous than the Regis and the Lake trio, and has the potential to wreak far more havoc on a team than Latios and Latias also, since Latias is more of a defense/supporter type and Latios can't match Garchomp's insane damage output without Choice Specs, and the potential flaws with using a Choice Item should be obvious.

In my experience of using the thing, I've found that Garchomp is essentially an "I Win Button" against anyone who I've battled who was unprepared for encountering it, and even against those who I have battled against with the thing, it has almost always ended up being the Pokemon that landed the final blows to finish my opponent off. That and its horrendous overuse are the main reasons for the ban, although the circumstances around the "official" ban itself, not the ban done here for the tournament, have been extremely dubious and questionable from what I've seen.

You may not like it, but the general consensus is that Garchomp is too strong for OU level play when used at its maximum potential (Swords Dance and Sand Veil out the wazoo and Outrage for game, essentially,) and that's not going to change. Also, don't call something "stupid" when you don't even have a good argument against the ban - for the most part, it just seems like you're complaining because your best Pokemon can't be used here.

I think that Garchomp should be considered Uber. It is a very powerful pokemon, and as King Of Lucario said, too powerful to belong in the OU tier.

So, I don't think it was stupid. I think it was a good idea.

Well it confused me too at first but right now, as I'm using an EV'd Garchomp I can see why it was put into the Uber Tier.
The thing is, that i think that the other Half-Legendarys like Tyranitar,Dragonite Metagross ect arent that much worse than Garchomp.
The major difference seems to be the speed stat which plays an important role in gen IV :o

Well I dont know~ havent played competetively yet so I'll see.
but the stats/moveset/ability is really something that should be considered uber.I mean Garchomp is even able to wreck havoc amongst real legendaries~

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
We've already had this discussion in the competitive rules topic, so I don't really think there's much need to retread the ground here.

Despite some people complaining about the rules for the Manchester event, in large part they've been wholly supported and agreed with. It's impossible to please everyone, especially at an event that's so heavily mixed between casual players and competitive battlers - so a compromise is what we settled with here.

I'm going to lock this, 'cos as I said it's a discussion that's already been done - but if there's anything more to add, the relevant topic in the WiFi forum would be a good place to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.