• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Chronicles: Opinions

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Okay... I'm dead certain we had at least one previous topic on this (if not more) but I can't locate the damn things. Either way, here's one for up-to-date opinions.

If you're watched Chronicles in either the UK or today on YTV, what did ye think of it? Also for UKers, favourite/least favourite episodes?

Since I've only seen the first episode of the Legend of Thunder saga I can't say much, but I do have two comments. First, that intro SUCKED. Horribly, embarrassingly sucked. They could've at least used a better song like the Pokemon Dance Mix from 2BA Master...

Secondly... I don't know what Marina was like in the original Raikou special, but her dub character makes the female gender look bad. Heck, even May doesn't act that ditzy/annoying. I want to like Marina - I really do - but it's incredibly hard ;__;

*Ahem* Overall, not impressed at all with this yet. I'm glad to actually be watching it but damn... I guess I'll just have to wait it out until the better episodes start.

Every time that intro plays, somebody dies... ;_; And that somebody is me...

I am SO glad I downloaded the Japanese subbed version of The Legend of Thunder, because it was GREAT, expecially the intro/outro music. Marina was kinda girly, but not that bad. I wondered what Jimmy's catch phrase would be translated as, and "You rock, you rule!" is certainly not the worst they could've come up with.

But yeah, if you cut out the dub intro, you can enjoy the later episodes. "A Family That Battles Together Stays Together" is actually quite funny. ^_^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QQ - Are you just relaying what you've heard others say or did you download the episodes?

I've only seen the raw of the Raikou special (no subs) so the most it did was give me an idea of the thing's atmosphere - hence the not really knowing what Marina was like. What was the direct translation of Kenta's catch phrase in it?

And I'll still never get over why they chanced the name "Kenta", a fairly straight forward name, to something as silly as "Jimmy". For one thing, Jimmy is a nickname for James! Did we really need two of 'em? :p

I didn't know Marina would be so perky and into being famous but I guess it kind of fits her. I'm just glad there's no main characters in this besides Misty but I like Misty so it dosen't count.

I'd call Brock a majour character, wouldn't you?

I've got all eighteen Pokémon Chronicles shown thus far, so I can speak from first-hand experience. In the Japanese version of The Legend of Thunder, Kenta's catch phrase is "Ookee! Kanpeki!" which translates as "OK! Perfect!" But when he says it, he always sounds much more proud of his Typhlosion than in the dub, where it sounds too much like a rehearsed line (it's especially effective at the end where Typhlosion nearly...well, I won't spoil it).

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As I thought, the dub murdered the Raikou special. xD

I'm lucky to have that thing in subbed Japanese in reasonably great quality... Marina IS kinda... ditzy. At least, she's a flirty Lance fangirl. xD But she wasn't THAT bad. X_x

Anyway, the dub names are screwed up in general. But it only proves how inconsistent they are, considering Kenta and Marina were referred to as 'Yoshi' and 'Dani' before. ;P

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Eusine to Eugene is probably the worst - including the random change of character and voice compared to what he was like in the Ho-oh ep.

But it's pretty much determined that the Raikou special was done by different people to both the main series and the rest of the Chronicles.

Plus any ep with Eric Stuart in it is guaranteed to own - Brock's ep is just so funny. Lol.

Yes I know Brock is a major character but what was his sole purpose antway besides giving leatures on Ash's battles which is incredibly dull.