• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Pokemon Black2 and White2 Journey Roleplay Discussion

I got inspired. xD

Also:
EDIT: Okay, after going through a couple of people, I just realized that there are qualities that seem a bit much, but they don't automatically make your character a Mary Sue. I just got Mary Sue vibes because there were quite a bit of qualities from different characters in play in the same RP, but not one pointed towards any specific character. So, sorry about the confusion and misinterpretation and my mean post here.

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
Fight me kids. So a few pointers. Yes, this character is based on the real me. Second, if you think I have a legendary, you’d be wrong. Third, how would Justin have stopped Team Plazma 2 years ago, travelled to other regions, or done anything like that if this wasn’t his specific story? I am writing a fanfic about Justin’s true adventures through Unova, but I really just Adjust him to any RP or things like that.

Pichu's got some good critiques but imo all of this is pretty subjective

the only reason I got a higher score than others is pretty much bc Pichu KNOWS my character better and has more info on hand. even so, when I took my OWN test myself, i got around 40-50 points. so some of it depends on certain viewpoints

but the fact still stands: some traits by themselves are enough to warrant a red flag or two. Atty is a completely normal human with a regular ass backstory, yet still scored higher than characters with supernatural powers, characters who've been turned into a Pokemon, or characters that have been Champion.

some traits just stand out more than others, so the worry of a character being a mary sue is completely understandable imo. while it's not WRONG to have characters with those sort of traits: they negatively stand out when compared with normal characters.

and thats the tea on that

Fight me kids. So a few pointers. Yes, this character is based on the real me. Second, if you think I have a legendary, you’d be wrong. Third, how would Justin have stopped Team Plazma 2 years ago, travelled to other regions, or done anything like that if this wasn’t his specific story? I am writing a fanfic about Justin’s true adventures through Unova, but I really just Adjust him to any RP or things like that.

What? I didn't say you had a Legendary. And I was going off of the tab on your signature that said "Characters". That's where I got your info from for your character. You even said to "look at the Character Tab" and not put to light any changes you have made other than that.

It's okay if you have points towards stuff like that. That's what makes your character unique. Although, too many points and it starts to get a little crazy. Although, you barely skirted underneath Snapdragon's Test, but there are probably hundreds of other tests out there you could take for your character. It's okay to have a specific story for a character.

I'll give you an example. Pyros has traveled through all the regions, got all the badges, and got all the Z-Crystals, and has all the Fire- and Dragon-Type Pokemon, barring Legendaries and Megas. Even though these would send my points sky high, it doesn't actually matter, just as long as he actually earns it, and if the rest of his character and backstory make up for it.

Last edited:
Pichu's got some good critiques but imo all of this is pretty subjective

the only reason I got a higher score than others is pretty much bc Pichu KNOWS my character better and has more info on hand. even so, when I took my OWN test myself, i got around 40-50 points. so some of it depends on certain viewpoints

but the fact still stands: some traits by themselves are enough to warrant a red flag or two. Atty is a completely normal human with a regular ass backstory, yet still scored higher than characters with supernatural powers, characters who've been turned into a Pokemon, or characters that have been Champion.

some traits just stand out more than others, so the worry of a character being a mary sue is completely understandable imo. while it's not WRONG to have characters with those sort of traits: they negatively stand out when compared with normal characters.

and thats the tea on that

and yes, thank you. I've made a note saying that I knew your character, so I was able to judge more thoroughly. And I fully agree with what you said. And I think you scored higher because of the Pokemon. That Pokemon section will always get you. That's how Pyros rocketed up to 50. XD He's got a lot of Pokemon, and it easily makes up more than half of his points.

But I also used the Atty from this RP, not the full one that has a Mega and all that.

Wow you actually did that @Pretty Pichu xD well yes JC is my main reference char and the meaning to her name I can't actually tell you since its a personal information of what JC means so please respect that. Also, yes JC did lose her father some years ago as a child so her backstory is pretty tragic a bit. She met up with Cheren, Bianca before Cheren became the gym leader and Bianca become a Pokemon assistant when she moved to Unova but had met N first during her child years. As for her ability, she developed it somehow like N did for her love of Pokemon. Also, Blue(the shiny Umbreon) was her growing up companion so their bond is very close.

Wow you actually did that @Pretty Pichu xD well yes JC is my main reference char and the meaning to her name I can't actually tell you since its a personal information of what JC means so please respect that. Also, yes JC did lose her father some years ago as a child so her backstory is pretty tragic a bit. She met up with Cheren, Bianca before Cheren became the gym leader and Bianca become a Pokemon assistant when she moved to Unova but had met N first during her child years. As for her ability, she developed it somehow like N did for her love of Pokemon. Also, Blue(the shiny Umbreon) was her growing up companion so their bond is very close.

Awesome :3 and I respect that. I won't try and pry ya. XD

Oh yea. 5 hours and I swore my cheeks and head are either burning because of my concentration for 5 straight hours or if I was getting some kind of working fever XD (which I can do for 8 hours but evaluating and reading... Nah...)

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
@Pretty Pichu Ok, I admit I got a little pissed, excuse me for my misbehavior and misunderstanding. Anyways, I do understand that I passed both tests, and the birthmark has a backstory that I do not mention in my characters tab. Btw, please tell us to do our own tests if it makes you sick, because I sure as hell wouldn’t want my cheeks and forehead to burn just doing other people’s Mary Sue tests.

Well, I told myself I was gonna do it, and when I said I was gonna do everyone's Mary Sue test, I had to live up to it and I used two, so it wouldn't be like... "Oh, I didn't make it with this one test" even though it is entirely plausible that you can pass the other one. So yea. XD I'm alright. XD Just a little tired. XD Doesn't help that I had no sleep last night and like... an hour during the afternoon. XD

And it's okay. xD I would get really angry if someone criticized my OCs when I was just a couple of years younger. I completely understand.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
With all due respect, running people's OCs through arbitrary tests that attempt to quantize suedom without the contexts of the particular setting, the characterization/writing done by the players of these characters etc. - without asking for their permission to do so - and offering unsolicited opinions while coming off as talking down to them comes off as very mini-moddy and serves as nothing but a source of undue drama.

This shit does not fly here.

I'm sure you meant well, but don't ever do that again.