• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Pokemon Black2 and White2 Journey Roleplay Discussion

Question, can you rp as the gym leader if your character is challenging or does someone else already RP them specifically?

Yes you can do the gym leader if your char is battling Cheren I did so with mine since my char knows Cheren for a long time.

Also, @Justin Hardin lets just say my char has a way of sneaking through routes like a ninja because of her hooded cape and mask XD but if you want me to edit it then I can if you just want to meet her in Virbank city or something and sorry my Pokecharms is being stupid on not seeing your post because I don't see your post

Last edited:
@Rex Nice post, but Play Rough is a Fairy-Type Gen VI move, and LunarSilvally already said we couldn't use any moves, or I'm assuming abilities, past Gen V. Sorry about that :/ A nice alternative could be either Return, Retaliate, Aerial Ace, Superpower, or maybe even Giga Impact. XD

@Rex Nice post, but Play Rough is a Fairy-Type Gen VI move, and LunarSilvally already said we couldn't use any moves, or I'm assuming abilities, past Gen V. Sorry about that :/ A nice alternative could be either Return, Retaliate, Aerial Ace, Superpower, or maybe even Giga Impact. XD

Don't worry about it I'll allow it just this once and actually Cheren has the first stages of Watchog and Stoutland in the game play since he just became a gym leader lol XD

Rex

Resident Furry
It's generally accepted that Gym Leaders have various teams depending on the skill level of the Trainer they're fighting. At the PWT, which takes place concurrently to the events of B2W2, Cheren uses Stoutland and Watchog, as well as Zangoose, Ciniccino, Lopunny, Castform, Bouffalant, Porygon-Z, and Lickilicky. Therefore, he must at least have all these Pokemon, as well as the Patrat and Lillipup he uses for Trainers getting their very first badge.

Yes, I believe that Rex is correct. Most gym leaders have a set of Pokemon that are super strong and will have on hand if something goes wrong with their establishment or if something comes up, like a strong trainer wanting to battle them. It'd be pretty stupid to have weak Pokemon and not have any way of defending yourself. Plus, he has gone through the entirety of Unova once before 2 years ago, so it shouldn't be a surprise if he has more Pokemon to use in a gym fight.

It doesn't have to follow just like the games. It's okay to have a few outliers xD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Pardon for butting in - but I do feel the need to point out that our rules directly point out the matter of game play and story separation. ^^

RPs are, quite frankly, not the games and attempting to adhere to the general plotline of the games and ape them wholesale is generally not only not recommended but in some cases simply impossible. When writing RP posts, you should keep in mind that the games provide a rather simplified view of a living, breathing world with living, breathing Pokemon and events that don't stick to the hand-holdy linear-as-spheres path the games drag you through under the assumption that you are a six year old child with two brain cells at best.

In a setting like this it's safe to assume that Gym Leaders have a good deal of Pokemon beyond what they're portrayed with at a particular time point in the game, in order to take on various tiers of trainers, so to speak. A Gym Leader's job is to be a challenge - but not an unsurmountable challenge - for anyone who faces them. It's rather nonsensical to assume that he'd face every challenger that approaches him with a team of two creatures he just plucked from a nearby route and are proverbially not even out of training pants yet. In the B2/W2 games, you face him as a tier-1 challenge, without any gym badges. Naturally he'd be going easy. Rex here is battling the guy on a far higher tier - not a full on no-holds-barred team (as Ryan has only got two strong mon on hand from his previous run, eight badges or not) but still far higher than what Cheren would send out against an average n00b for whom this is the first gym battle.

It's also safe to assume that Elite Four and Regional Champions wouldn't be a walkover like in the games either, but rather be way above and beyond the pay-grade of the average schmuck. To defeat one Elite Four member is a titanic achievement. To defeat all four of them and a Regional Champion one would have to be beyond overpowered - which honestly is kind of to a scale of godmoding unless the setting is one where everyone is agonizingly overpowered, in which case the Syndrome Axiom takes place and no one is. So yeah, whether or not your personal headcanons of regions feature an animesque league tournament, the ultimate winner of which is considered This Year's Champion and getting a chance to actually face the Elite Four and the Professional Regional Champion (after setting appointments and training your brains out to reach the sort of level you'd need to be to even scratch the surface of one of these people) or whether anyone with sufficient credentials can do so... I'm sure you can probably see why everyone is considering this one person's character's claims about being a 'regional champion' to be empty boasting. They could be very little else.

I know that some of you already know these things and require no further clarification (keep doing you, guys, you make things not entirely dark and dire in moderating the RP boards! ^^) but given some of the things that have been going on here, I felt the need to interject. Hope this makes certain things clearer. ^^

todoroki

Previously gamora
ok we really need to slow down. were like two pages in and some of you have already gone thru what takes like 2-3 hours in game- i know this isn't the game, but often shit like this in the anime takes longer. like i forced the gym battle to happen quickly but everyone's barely interacting

After I’m done this gym battle, I’m going to take some time to train for a long while before I challenge Roxie. I just wanted to get the first gym battle over with since, as I said in my characters description, she’s been in Unova for a year just training her stronger and weaker Pokémon and so on.

hey UHHH could we maybe keep OOC talk in here unless you've got a paragraph of RP on the post too?? sorry id just rather not have this locked and im sure im not the only one that feels the same

also i kinda agree, some of us are going REALLY fast through this, no offense

srry posted before did not see this link I deleded it after Gamora told me that I needed to do this fist Srry

Name: Dark

Appearance: Brown short hair with leaf green eyes he only wears a short sleeved hoodie and some shorts Dark is 4'9 long
Partner: Sandile ( Atlas)

Pokemon: Sandile

City you live in: Castelia City

Personality: A shy boy who is afraid for alot of things and spaces out alot if talked to but he wants justice for what his brothers gang are doing (team plasma)

Goal: To stop team plasma

History: His father left him and his brother to die when his mom died. The brother joined team plasma to earn money to take care of Dark he loves his big brother but can't stand to be alone so his brother stole a sandile leveld it up to a obedient krokorok that got a baby and that sandile and Dark are best friends all Dark knows is that team plasma is a salvation to the world.

Other: Loves all pokemon and can't stand people who treat their pokemon like trash or people who work for team plasma

todoroki

Previously gamora
and you'd think nudity would be illegal in unova :/ gotta say itd be a little uncomfortable battling someone with their knob hangin out

speaking of guzma tho- legit question

is anyone gonna have their char romantically interested in atty? cus if not im prob gonna have her crushing on "this really hot guy" she saw while in Alola prior to coming back to unova.

Personality: A shy boy who is afraid for alot of things and spaces out alot if talked to but he wants justice for what his brothers gang are doing (team plasma)

Goal: To stop team plasma

History: His father left him and his brother to die when his mom died. The brother joined team plasma to earn money to take care of Dark he loves his big brother but can't stand to be alone so his brother stole a sandile leveld it up to a obedient krokorok that got a baby and that sandile and Dark are best friends all Dark knows is that team plasma is a salvation to the world.

Other: Loves all pokemon and can't stand people who treat their pokemon like trash or people who work for team plasma

Actually, I'm starting to see the contradiction... It says his goal is to stop Team Plasma and he doesn't like Team Plasma and that he'd want justice against Team Plasma in Personality, and yet in History he loves Team Plasma.... What is this?

and Pyros might :p just sayin'

@Pretty Pichu He though that team plasma was good and all but finds some dark secrets that turn his thought on how he looks to team plasma. So he used to love team plasma but now he wants to destroy them sorry if that was unclear.

I usually do it by OOC so that other people can either decide upon the RP or in the discussion if their character wants to be with mine. I do it so other people can have a heads up before things get awkward and if they want to do it or not and we can write it off. XD I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable nor do I want to have characters partner up when their personality isn't the type to be with that person.

WELL LEMME JUST SAY: if there's ever an RP that I have Atty in with no Guzma (like this one) feel free to flirt with her all you guys want. she looooves the attention and compliments.

she'll usually reciprocate back too, as long as the character isn't under 18. I'm okay with OCs a couple years or so under having a crush on her or admiring her, but she's not gonna feel the same way back.

Rex

Resident Furry
Well that's exactly the thing. If their personalities don't mesh, and they don't end up becoming good friends, it's unlikely they'd actually develop romantic feelings for one another. It's not something that should be decided upon early in - IC or OOC - rather, it's something that builds over repeated interactions. At the same time, a character developing a crush and getting rejected is very realistic to actual human experience. So long as all parties are mature about it: hate the character, not the RPer.

I would assume it's still in the afternoon. Around there. Like maybe 2-3 or maybe 4. It's getting kind of close to the evening.

Besides, C65's Luke and vaultie's Atty and my Pyros, who hasn't battled Cheren yet? Just wanted to get a good head count of how many people are in line to battle Cheren. I'm assuming Luke isn't battling him until everyone else has battled him, and Atty doesn't want to challenge Cheren, but will watch Pyros challenge him.