• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 Mascots Confirmed To Have Overdrive Mode

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Now, some of you may have noticed that when the official boxart for Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 was finally revealed last week it showed Black Kyurem and White Kyurem looking slightly different than how we'd previously seen them. Notably is the fact that the two were shown with tubes coming out of their backs and into their tails. Now we have some very small and vague details about the design changes.

Read on to find out more!

Read More

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 Mascots Confirmed To Have Over

It's totally a Super Saiyin mode. :8B:

It wouldn't surprise me if Overdrive ends up being an ability that's similar to Zen Mode Darmanitan.

And Kyurem now holds 5 alternative forms. A record that is beaten only by Rotom with 6 forms!

I agree with Katie on the likelihood of it being similar to Darmanitans Zen Mode. Though I'm curious about what can be done to the two when they enter overdrive mode. Do their stats change like with Darmanitan? Or does it get a power boost like Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent? Or does it do something completely different? I'm eager for more details.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

This makes me wonder whether or not these two will actually be treated as separate Pokemon altogether. I mean, lore-wise, Reshiram and Zekrom are two sides of the same coin, but they exist as separate Pokemon. We have abberations such as the male and female Nidoran lines existing as separate entities. Mewtwo is as symbiotically linked to Mew as Black and White Kyurem are to Kyurem/Zekrom and Kyurem/Reshiram.

From what we've been told about these forms so far, it would appear that they exist as a combination of both Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom. When the DNA of two beings intertwine, they don't replace the existing beings, they create new life.

Plus, GameFreak are really lazy about this sort of thing and developing a system for Kyurem to not only have these two separate alternate forms, but for them to have their own alternate forms on top of that sounds like a lot of messing around with the existing codebase when it would just be easier to make the new forms new Pokemon and have the alt form act exactly as it is programmed for Darminitan.

But also the other reasons that center less on the fact GameFreak are lazy hacks - as clearly demonstrated by their releasing of these games on a system they should have stopped supporting the instant B/W were finished.

Personally, I think that black kyerum/white kyerum were like giratina, kyerum changing into them when holding an item. Now I'm stumped. :/