• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Bank Updated for Sun and Moon

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
mewnium_en.jpg

As previously promised way back when the games were first announced,, Pokémon Bank has today been updated to add support for Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, and a raft of new features. The Poké Transporter app, originally used for transferring Pokémon from the fifth generation games, has also been updated to allow transfer of the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Green, and Pokémon Yellow.

This means that you can now bring Pokémon stored in your Bank into Pokémon Sun and Moon, regardless of which game they came from. Heads up: If you bring a Pokémon into Sun and Moon from Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire, you won't be able to send them back to those games afterwards.

When updating Bank, you'll also unlock the new National Pokédex. Unlike in previous games, the National Pokédex is not part of the Sun and Moon games – instead, it's now accessible as part of Bank itself, and it's a single Pokédex shared across all your games. It works by reading all Pokémon from your games, regardless of whether they're in Bank or not. If you want to fill your Alola Pokédex, however, you'll still need to transfer all the required Pokémon into your game itself.

As mentioned, Poké Transporter now allows you to transfer Pokémon one-way from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. When doing so, they'll be given a random nature, three guaranteed 31 IVs, and their hidden ability. All non-glitch Pokémon can be transferred from RBY, although any glitched Mew won't transfer.

Lastly, as a celebration of Bank's update, any players who log into it before October 2nd 2017 will receive a Mewnium Z, which allows Mew to perform the Z-Move Genesis Supernova. You'll only get one Mewnium Z per Bank account, so you'll have to trade it between your Sun and Moon games if you want it in a different game later.

Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter are now available in the eShop – they both require the software to be fully redownloaded, so won't show up as patches. Bank is 496 blocks, whereas Transporter clocks in at 420 blocks.

As always, Pokémon Bank is a subscription service. The cost varies based on region, but it is $4.99 per year in the US and £4.49 per year in the UK.

Last edited:
POKEMON BANNNNNNNKKKK YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS TIME TO GET MY GANG ON MOON I SHOULD PROBABLY STOP TYPING NOW, MY LIFE HAS MEANING AGAIN. And the new features sound neat I'll be testing them out right after I transport

Woah IMMA MAKE MY SHINY SUICUNE INTO A TIMID if I had a RBY game....... WAIT MY DAD DOES

If you didn't know me and my family are Pokemon fans....IM SO LUCKY

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Woah IMMA MAKE MY SHINY SUICUNE INTO A TIMID if I had a RBY game....... WAIT MY DAD DOES

If you didn't know me and my family are Pokemon fans....IM SO LUCKY
Er, Suicune is from, Gold, Silver, and Crystal (and so are shiny Pokémon in general). They're not available on the 3DS eShop, so you can't transfer them forward. Sorry! :)

Oh right I'm dumb.... I don't really read rules except when I really need to like the Pokecharms one CUZ this is such A great site it would be a shame if I got banned!

I'll just go ahead and Transfer my crew

You'll only get one Mewnium Z per Bank account, so you'll have to trade it between your Sun and Moon games if you want it in a different game later.

... I really wish I'd seen this about an hour ago when I used Pokebank to allow myself to start the game with two starters... I've already lost the damn thing XD Ah well. Either way I'm pumped that the update is finally here - I've been dying to replay through the game again.

I haven't had as much free time lately so I am glad to see Bank be added at last so I dont feel the need to train a new team from scratch for proper online battling.

New bank dex sounds like a great idea, I have been working on a living dex since X/Y so this should help make things a bit smoother.

I also find it rather cheeky to give the item for Mew Z move and stop the glitch mews from coming through. Hope you guys got your event mews at the beginning of the year!

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
So you mean all of the Mews I've acquired through Mew Glitch with the intent of unleashing them upon GTS and Wonder Trade was all for naught? Well damn. Nothing stopping me from sending out Mewtwo though! >:D I'll have to experiment to see if that bsn includes all Pokemon gotten through the Glitch or just Mew. I would totes send up a Lv.1 Dragonite just for shits and giggles.

Three 31IVs and Hidden Abilities is a pretty sweet deal. Maybe instead of SOS grinding Ditto I can catch a ton on RBY, get the experience just right to set the Natures I want, and hope I have enough variety to account for all six IVs.

funny how glitch mews dont transfer yet they give a mewnium z and no free mew xD (i know they distributed it in the past but what about people in regions that couldnt get it or simply missed it :p)

Er, Suicune is from, Gold, Silver, and Crystal (and so are shiny Pokémon in general). They're not available on the 3DS eShop, so you can't transfer them forward. Sorry! :)
You can still have a shiny pokemon in red, blue and yellow but only in the original gameboy versions. in order to make them shiny though, you have to trade them to g/s/c and they have to have certain stats which determine whether or not they'll be shiny in a gen 2 game. i believe this only works for legendaries however

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
has anybody tried transferring a pikachu or something to see if it will be one with those hats
They transfer as normal Pikachu, as far as I'm aware. The behatted Pikachu are more likely to be event distributions for later :)