• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Adventures Manga Series

I made this one because I didn't see a topic on here that was about the Pokemon Adventures Manga series specifically. The only rule for this topic specifically is that we use the Manga names here to avoid pointless arguments (Please when talking about Green and Blue you make it clear which translation you are going by due to their names being swapped at times). Enjoy your time in the topic. :D

My personal favorite Pokedex Holder is Platinum due to the fact she actually improves throughout the story unlike other Damsels in Distress.
I really began to like her in the Platinum arc as she went though the Battle Frontier, especially the Battle Arcade

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Quick note to repliers: Spartan's asked that anyone posting major spoilers sticks them behind spoiler tags. Thanks guys. ^^

While I adore that manga series I haven't actually read the majority of it, so the main characters that I know best are the first 4 (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) and Black. I've never read the fan-translations and have always only read the stuff translated by Viz, so that version is what I know Blue and Green by.

Out of those 5 characters, Red is likely my favourite. I've read the first arc countless times and really love Red and his team. Yellow is adorable and Black makes me laugh but Red will likely always be the face of Pokemon Adventures for me. Nostalgia runs deep. :angel:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I don't really count D/P/Pt/B/W as part of the ongoing Adventure saga. Maybe if they ever actually connect to the story of the characters I actually give a damn about? Maybe. I doubt it.

Either way. I'd say Red, Yellow and Crystal are my "favorites". Red is awesome. Yellow is adorable as hell, and Crystal... well yeah. I liked her back story, ridiculous as it was. XD

StellarWind Elsydeon said:
I don't really count D/P/Pt/B/W as part of the ongoing Adventure saga. Maybe if they ever actually connect to the story of the characters I actually give a damn about? Maybe. I doubt it.

Either way. I'd say Red, Yellow and Crystal are my "favorites". Red is awesome. Yellow is adorable as hell, and Crystal... well yeah. I liked her back story, ridiculous as it was. XD
I am willing to bet it will connect in the B2W2 Chapter seeing the world tournament will probably be the setting of that particular arc. I definitely like those three characters as well, Crystal being 2nd Favorite

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Hmm. I've read most of the manga asides from the Heartgold/SoulSilver arc and have to say my favourite Pokédex holders are Red, Yellow, Crystal and Silver (later Silver mind, not when he was a bad guy x3).

I'm quite fond of Ruby later on in that arc too, it's certainly one of my favourite arcs of the whole series. I'm sadly not fond of the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum arc of Adventures as it felt like a let-down after everything that came before it. Black/White is interesting, but I can't really take to the heroes, so again it's nowhere near as good as the first few arcs and likely won't be until they connect them all together.

I'm looking forward to what they do with the X/Y arc in the next year or so, hopefully they manage to make the characters more interesting than those we've had recently.

Demelza said:
Hmm. I've read most of the manga asides from the Heartgold/SoulSilver arc and have to say my favourite Pokédex holders are Red, Yellow, Crystal and Silver (later Silver mind, not when he was a bad guy x3).

I'm quite fond of Ruby later on in that arc too, it's certainly one of my favourite arcs of the whole series. I'm sadly not fond of the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum arc of Adventures as it felt like a let-down after everything that came before it. Black/White is interesting, but I can't really take to the heroes, so again it's nowhere near as good as the first few arcs and likely won't be until they connect them all together.

I'm looking forward to what they do with the X/Y arc in the next year or so, hopefully they manage to make the characters more interesting than those we've had recently.
Can't deny that you have a point there, I disagree but understand. My personal prediction for the female character of X and Y (who I will call Y for now) is that she will be one of those girls who love fashion a lot, due to the fact they have character customization now and they usually have a character that loves a new feature
Ruby-Contest
Emerald-Battle Frontier
White-Musicals
Does that sound likely?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Spartan13 said:
My personal prediction for the female character of X and Y (who I will call Y for now) is that she will be one of those girls who love fashion a lot, due to the fact they have character customization now and they usually have a character that loves a new feature
Ruby-Contest
Emerald-Battle Frontier
White-Musicals
Does that sound likely?

Well, with White they put the spin on her of her just wanting her Pokémon to be actors and preform, she doesn't just value musicals like Ruby valued Contests or like Emerald valued the Battle Frontier. Nevertheless I agree they might go that way with the lead male or female of the X/Y arc (I mean, after Ruby it could be the guy that's really into fashion). I guess it really depends what else the games introduce, because while character customization is nice, the manga is the type of thing which might throw it aside if there is something bigger introduced that will interest our hero(es).

Demelza said:
Spartan13 said:
My personal prediction for the female character of X and Y (who I will call Y for now) is that she will be one of those girls who love fashion a lot, due to the fact they have character customization now and they usually have a character that loves a new feature
Ruby-Contest
Emerald-Battle Frontier
White-Musicals
Does that sound likely?

Well, with White they put the spin on her of her just wanting her Pokémon to be actors and preform, she doesn't just value musicals like Ruby valued Contests or like Emerald valued the Battle Frontier. Nevertheless I agree they might go that way with the lead male or female of the X/Y arc (I mean, after Ruby it could be the guy that's really into fashion). I guess it really depends what else the games introduce, because while character customization is nice, the manga is the type of thing which might throw it aside if there is something bigger introduced that will interest our hero(es).
True, but I just think that because from what I hear, there will be a lot of outfits available, and it could make for some comedic parts where Y forces X (or vice versa) to join in. In the end though I am not in charge and they could end up being anything.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I hope it's okay for me to ask this now because you guys are getting me curious...

In addition to your favourite Pokedex holders, which plot arcs in the Adventures/Special series are your favourites? Since I haven't read much of the series yet, as mentioned in my previous post, I can't properly comment on that question (I loved Red and Yellow's arcs and have enjoyed what I've read of Black's story) but I'm interested to see how you guys feel. :)

Linkachu said:
I hope it's okay for me to ask this now because you guys are getting me curious...

In addition to your favourite Pokedex holders, which plot arcs in the Adventures/Special series are your favourites? Since I haven't read much of the series yet, as mentioned in my previous post, I can't properly comment on that question (I loved Red and Yellow's arcs and have enjoyed what I've read of Black's story) but I'm interested to see how you guys feel. :)
Despite everybody else's opinion I like the DP saga best. I just really enjoyed the relationship between the three protagonists and how they helped each other develop into better trainers. I understand why others might not like this, but then again the RS saga didn't really connect to the rest of the series till the very end.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'm not sure if I could call any arc my favourite, most of them I'm fond of certain aspects or parts of them, but not the whole thing. I guess though my favourite has to be the later chapters of the Johto arc, I never really liked Gold all that much as our main character, but once the story advanced and they introduced Crystal and a few of the older characters I really started to enjoy the overall plot. The characters had a fair amount of depth to them, something that the Sinnoh arc kinda spoilt for me.

I liked the Kanto arc too, although I wasn't too fond of the amount of time spent on Yellow (even though I adore the character), and found myself happier when the story reintroduced Red and Blue to the mix.

The Hoenn arc is kind of the same thing for me, I didn't really enjoy it early on, yet really started to enjoy it as the story advanced and started to hit its better moments. It isn't that I disliked Ruby and Sapphire, it was mostly that I didn't grow attached to them until nearer the end of the arc when we finally learnt more about tbem.
I never liked Ruby up until we finally learnt just why he didn't like Pokémon battles and was scared to use his full power. I grew to feel for the character a lot more then, especially when we learnt he had a connection to Sapphire from the past which he just couldn't remember

As I've said earlier though, I'm not that fond of the Sinnoh and Unova stories, but maybe that's also hindered by the fact they don't feel like they connect to the earlier stories. Every arc up until Diamond and Pearl related to the original stories some how, either by introducing older characters back into the story, or having the plots connect to one another somehow. I guess it felt sad leaving all that history behind, especially for an arc and characters that I couldn't value anywhere near as highly as the originals.

I still like Adventures though, and like I said earlier, can't wait to see what they do with X and Y. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
I guess it felt sad leaving all that history behind, especially for an arc and characters that I couldn't value anywhere near as highly as the originals.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm enjoying the BW arc as much as I am. My only real exposure to the Adventures universe, at this time, are the original arcs, so I don't have the weight of the history influencing my opinion. Although, that being said, I really love Black as a character. I've read the first graphic novel of the GS saga and haven't been able to take to its hero yet (that's likely why I haven't yet gone back to that arc) but I almost instantly loved Black for his zany personality and his relationship with Munna. I'm really enjoying how they've handled Cheren, Bianca, and N in the BW arc too.

So, hmm. I guess I'll be able to make a more informed opinion once I've read more of GS and everything in between but as of now I'm pretty hooked on the BW arc. ^^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hm. I'd say my favorites so far were the Red/Yellow arcs. Johto and Hoenn were decent, but they certainly took some time to actually kick to high gear and get bloody awesome. And yeah. Both suffered from main protagonists that I rather disliked up to a point where they finally started being good characters rather than just being walking derp. XD

Linkachu said:
Demelza said:
I guess it felt sad leaving all that history behind, especially for an arc and characters that I couldn't value anywhere near as highly as the originals.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm enjoying the BW arc as much as I am. My only real exposure to the Adventures universe, at this time, are the original arcs, so I don't have the weight of the history influencing my opinion. Although, that being said, I really love Black as a character. I've read the first graphic novel of the GS saga and haven't been able to take to its hero yet (that's likely why I haven't yet gone back to that arc) but I almost instantly loved Black for his zany personality and his relationship with Munna. I'm really enjoying how they've handled Cheren, Bianca, and N in the BW arc too.

So, hmm. I guess I'll be able to make a more informed opinion once I've read more of GS and everything in between but as of now I'm pretty hooked on the BW arc. ^^
I read all the way through and I still love all the arcs, unfortunately I have yet to find a place where I can find the full BW arc, the only ones I can find skip chapters all over the place, do you mind telling me where I can actually find one with the chapters with Cheren and Bianca cause what I did read was great and I feel like I am missing out.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Spartan13 said:
I read all the way through and I still love all the arcs, unfortunately I have yet to find a place where I can find the full BW arc, the only ones I can find skip chapters all over the place, do you mind telling me where I can actually find one with the chapters with Cheren and Bianca cause what I did read was great and I feel like I am missing out.

Check your local library. My brother and I stumbled upon PokeSpe during our most recent raid of the manga section.

I read the RGB and Yellow arcs and the beginning of the GSC arc online but never continued after that because I couldn't find decent scans of the rest of GSC. Luckily the library had everything up to the start of the RS arc and the first eight volumes of BW so I'm getting caught up. :)

Psycho Monkey said:
Spartan13 said:

Check your local library. My brother and I stumbled upon PokeSpe during our most recent raid of the manga section.

I read the RGB and Yellow arcs and the beginning of the GSC arc online but never continued after that because I couldn't find decent scans of the rest of GSC. Luckily the library had everything up to the start of the RS arc and the first eight volumes of BW so I'm getting caught up. :)
I already have, my library doesn't have any Pokesupe at all unfotunatly, so I read it online, but for the BW saga I cannot do that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Spartan13 said:

I've personally been buying the mini Viz volumes for BW. I'm not completely up to date with my purchasing of it either so I'm not sure if it's been completely translated yet. Sorry for not being more helpful. :(

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
Spartan13 said:

I've personally been buying the mini Viz volumes for BW. I'm not completely up to date with my purchasing of it either so I'm not sure if it's been completely translated yet. Sorry for not being more helpful. :(

I think eight or nine volumes have been published so far, with Viz aiming to release the 12th by October. The only Adventure arc Viz has completed is Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal, with us being about three volumes into R/S right now, about nine into D/P/P and they have plans to start the HG/SS arc in the summer. ^^

Demelza said:
Linkachu said:
Spartan13 said:

I think eight or nine volumes have been published so far, with Viz aiming to release the 12th by October. The only Adventure arc Viz has completed is Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal, with us being about three volumes into R/S right now, about nine into D/P/P and they have plans to start the HG/SS arc in the summer. ^^
Since I am reading online all the chapters up to the BW arc are there except the end of the HGSS arc.

Im trying to get back into that manga series, i use to have a lot of them until...(sigh) I don't want to mention it. I recently got HG/SS volume 1 and BW volume 1. I cant wait to get more.