• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon 10th Anniversary Countdown/Discussion

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Time until Pokemon's 10th Anniversary:

[flash=257,60]http://forums.pokecharms.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=835.0;attach=55[/flash]

Here at Pokecharms we have a number of thing's planned for 27/02/06, all of which will probably be hinted at (at least) in the run-up.

Anyone else got any plans to celebrate the uberness that is Pokemon's 10th Birthday?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Stickified, because something like this deserves the extra attention ;)*

Aside from trying to help you in anyway possible with the Pokecharms plans, I'm not sure how I'll celebrate this aside from maybe a custom banner/avatar and playing lots of my Pokemon games. The Anniversary celebration might be just the thing to put my "Restart Emerald" plans into motion, or at least finish off Sapphire.

Either way, the 27th will be "Pokemon Day", filled with lots of Pokemon watching, Pokemon music, Pokemon RPing, gaming, etc. Yeah, I do all of that everyday anyways, but this'll make it seem more special ;)

Watching every Pokemon movie back-to-back would be fun, but knowing my luck I'll probably be too busy on the 27th to do that XD Might just do it the Sunday before instead ^^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I plan to draw my life away, as well as finishing as many games as possible (which shouldn't be too difficult, seeing as I found my GBA under a pile of books). Also, expect mucho fanfics-o.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it's finally here...

Happy 10th Anniversary, Pokemon! ^__^

10 freakin' years... Maybe its only been since 1998 that it graced my life and left it changed forever more, but without the shot in the dark that was Red and Green none of this ever would've happened. Man, I can't even begin to imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't discovered Pokemon.

For one thing, I wouldn't know any of you guys - and that'd just suck :p

For another, I probably wouldn't have gotten into RPing. Not like I have at least. May not even actively post on message boards. The urge to talk about Pokemon, write about Pokemon, and meet other Pokemon fans is really the key element that kept me online.

I can still remember the day way-back-when in highschool that I ran into a bad situation... I physically and emotionally felt like I'd hit rock bottom. What was one of the things that helped me back? Pokemon. No matter how silly and stupid that sounds, it's the truth. The whole concept of the Anime is never giving up; knowing that people will always be there for you when you need them. Those childish, feel-good concepts have changed my mindset in more ways than one.

There has never been anything in my life as powerful as Pokemon. At times it was hard growing up. Unbearable. The memories haven't faded, and I know they won't for many years to come. Pokemon gave me hope. It gave me something to look forward to when life seemed bleak. It was my security blanket when people turned their backs or I felt lost, helpless. I've grown as a person because of it, no doubt about that.

As that silly, "Totally Pokemon" song says, it is the biggest part of my life. And I'm damn proud for it.

... And there goes the countdown for my timezone! w00t 8)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Cute XD
Yes, yes. Hooray for 10 years of Pikachu, too :p *Damn thing always overshadowing my Raichu... >.>*

Gotta admit it, tho. Pokemon wouldn't be the same without teh Pika ;)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Of course, Pikachu as the actual 'star' of Pokemon didn't come around until 1997 when the anime started in Japan...

But still. ^^

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I can still remember the day way-back-when in highschool that I ran into a bad situation... I physically and emotionally felt like I'd hit rock bottom. What was one of the things that helped me back? Pokemon. No matter how silly and stupid that sounds, it's the truth. The whole concept of the Anime is never giving up; knowing that people will always be there for you when you need them. Those childish, feel-good concepts have changed my mindset in more ways than one.

I don't think it's sad at all. There are about 100 things that a depressed teenager or young adult searching for validation or a release from pain could get into, all of which are way more harmful to long-term health than Pokemon. Drugs? Alcohol? Smoking? Glue-sniffing? Graffiti-ing? Vandalism? Binge-eating? Desperate attempts to get thinner and thinner until you're barely eating anything? Pickpocketing? Drug-dealing? Joyriding? Meaningless, unprotected sex with other teens? Semi-abusive sex with adults? Strings of crappy relationships? Huh. I'll take the Pokemon any day.

Anyway. This has become a lot more serious than what I was going to say, which was simply "happy anniversary Pokemon!" and "yay!" ;D, so I'll stop here. Besides, I have to go to work now. Is there anything cool to download at Pokemon.com?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think it's sad at all. There are about 100 things that a depressed teenager or young adult searching for validation or a release from pain could get into, all of which are way more harmful to long-term health than Pokemon. Drugs? Alcohol? Smoking? Glue-sniffing? Graffiti-ing? Vandalism? Binge-eating? Desperate attempts to get thinner and thinner until you're barely eating anything? Pickpocketing? Drug-dealing? Joyriding? Meaningless, unprotected sex with other teens? Semi-abusive sex with adults? Strings of crappy relationships? Huh. I'll take the Pokemon any day.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and can happily/truthfully say that I've never been involved with any of those things before. Go Pokemon ^^

As for Pokemon.com, last I checked all they had was a 10th Anniversary wallpaper that's basically a collage of a lots of different Pokemon (seems to be mostly, if not all, Kanto/Hoenn pokes). I really like it, but you'll need to go through one of the trivia games to access it ^^

Happy Birthday Pokémon!!! ;D
I remember the first episode I ever saw of the Anime. I was visiting some relatives in the states at the time and I woke up one morning to "The Kangaskhan Kid". I was baffled! I saw Team Rocket! The Motto! Ash! The giant robo-kangaskhan! OMG! It was too much for my feeble little mind to handle! From that day forward I was hooked.

Then I went back to Sweden and followed the show there from the start. Of course, the Swedish dub sucked and all, but who cared? It was Pokemon!!! Now, eight and a half years later I'm just as hooked as on that first fateful day more hooked than ever ! Thank you for lightening up my life, and Happy Birthday Pokémon!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Now, eight and a half years later I'm just as hooked as on that first fateful day more hooked than ever !

Ditto to that, though there was a time when my Pokemon obsession began to wane a bit *shockhorror*

The blame goes to the collection of games and season of the Anime I've ranted about the most - G/S and Johto Journey's. G/S took me a long time to get into... and I mean LONG (for a Pokemon game at least). During the time the games weren't interesting me very much, the Pokemon Anime wasn't doing a much better job. It was a busy time and I had other things on my mind, so Pokemon started getting pushed back... But then, almost like a shock to the system, one episode made me remember just how awesome the Anime could actually be and why I loved it in the first place: "Wired for Battle" (I had, of course, missed watching "Charizard's Burning Ambition" the first time it aired for some stupid reason >.>). That episode was probably one of the few things that perked my interests enough to get back into, and finish, Silver. And the rest is history 8)

Heh... Funny how the net makes you think people actually give a damn about your rants ;)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Oddly enough I never really fell out of love with Pokemon at all. But that could be because I didn't really get into it until the run-up to R/S. I had stopped watching the anime for most of Johto (Oddly enough I did manage to plough through the whole of Journeys but gave up on it after that) and totally abandoned the TCG but continued to play Gold for a good long while up until R/S.

While R/S are DEFINITELY not the best Pokemon games ever, covering them as a webmaster is what really got me going. Ironic thing is that the sites I ran during that period weren't Pokemon based - Pokecharms is the first time I really get to go wild over the next Gen.

So bring it on! >:-D