• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokedex Problems

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Posting at the request of Doctor Oak from our conversation on irc last night ;).

I've noticed that some of the move descriptions in the 3rd Gen part of the Pokedex are messed up. TM34 is universally a problem. It's been entered as "Shockwave" rather than Shock Wave - I just checked in Emerald, and it should be two words. This means it always copies the information from whichever TM is above it in the list - showing what was in the $attack variable last.

For example, if you look at Electrike you see:
TM32Double Team 00Creates illusory copies to raise evasiveness by one stage.
TM34Shockwave 00Creates illusory copies to raise evasiveness by one stage.

But if you look at Linoone, you see:
TM30Shadow Ball 80100Hurls a black blob that may lower the foe's SP. DEF by one stage.
TM34Shockwave 80100Hurls a black blob that may lower the foe's SP. DEF by one stage.

Linoone and Zigzagoon have some other problems as well. In the 3rd Gen Standard Moveset, Pin Missile has been written as "Pin Missle" and so has the description of Mud Sport which is above it. Also, Belly Drum has the description of Rest, although I'm not sure what's gone wrong there as it's spelled correctly (one word instead of two?). Belly Drum is also messed up on Snorlax.

I just checked Cacnea because it was the first Pokemon I could think of that learns Pin Missile ("Pin Missile, Cacnea!"), and it has Pin Missile spelled correctly and with the right description - but Sand Attack is written as "Sand-attack", so messed up!

It's going to be rather tedious to check the 3rd Gen Standard Movesets, TMs and Egg Moves of all 386 3rd Gen Pokemon, but if anyone is feeling bored and has nothing better to do, please read carefully through the Dex starting at Pidgey #016. You are looking for repeating move descriptions like the examples I gave above. Please post here with the numbers of the pages you've checked, even if you didn't find any mistakes. Remember, it's only the 3rd Gen moves that need checking.

[tt][02:09] DoctorOak: the problem with the 3rd Gen stuff is that it was all put in manually
[02:10] DoctorOak: and thus, HOORAY, human error abound
[02:10] DoctorOak: unfortunately, no-one was kind enough to leave tables of raw data lying around like those extracted from Diamond and Pearl on release[/tt]

If you do notice any messed up descriptions of 3rd Gen moves then please post them here so they can be corrected. Let us know which page it was on (Pokemon name or number) and which moves are affected.

Also, don't try to do more than 50 pages at once, or your eyes will go screwy and your brain will fry to the extent that you wouldn't be able to see any mistakes, even if they do exist! (I say this as someone who spent a lot of time at university proofreading student union newspapers.)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I just checked #001-015:
Bulbasaur's Egg moves are really messed up. Light Screen and Skull Bash are written as one word, so both have the description of Fury Cutter, which was the last "valid" attack. Also, for some reason, Grasswhistle appears twice.

Ivysaur's Standard Moveset has Vine Whip written as one word, so has the description of Leech Seed above it. Same is true of Venusaur.

Charmander has a mysterious 4th Gen Egg Move called 94], which copies the description of Metal Claw above it. In the 3rd Gen Egg Moves, Outrage is spelled as "Outrange", so has the description of Bite, and Dragon Dance is spelled all as one word so has the description of Swords Dance .

The description of TM38 Fire Blast has fiery spelled as "firery" - easy typo to make due to stupid English spelling.

If you decide to help check the Dex, you can copy this format in your report.

I should probably mention that if you see the same move repeated at different levels, this is not a bug. For example, on Metapod:
01Harden00Raises user's DEFENSE one stage.
07Harden00Raises user's DEFENSE one stage.
This is an artifact of the way moves are coded in the game. It means the move can be learned by ordinary level up on reaching level 7, OR by going to the Move Tutor at any level, even prior to 7. Don't worry about it as long as the entire move description is exactly the same.

I just looked over #016-031:

Rattata and Raticate both have Shock Wave listed as one word, when Shock Wave is two words. This backs up what Barartron said earlier.

Ekans's egg moves list Spite. In the description, it says the opponent will lose 2-5 HP. I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be PP, correct?

Nidoran's and Nidrina's Toxic Spikes don't cause damage, they just poison the foe right? It also depends on how many layers are put down as well.

Checked #32-47

Egg group "Land" should be "Field".
Locations on NidoranM, Nidorino, Paras, Parasect.
Shock Wave on almost all.
Metronome on Clefairy, Clefable.
Softboiled on Clefairy, Clefable.
Light Screen on Paras.

*NOTE*
Great Marsh 4th Gen only.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Egg group "Land" should be "Field".

No. No it shouldn't.

Also, yes, noticed this myself the other day - the find and replace function wasn't as scrupulous as I originally thought it was and managed to find and replace Safari Zone mentions in the 3rd Gen as well as the 4th Gen with the Great Marsh. An annoying little niggle really... and unfortunately, a bit more of a pain in the ass to fix than it was to make the problem in the first place. But oh well.

Checked #48-63

Location on Dugtrio
Typo on Meowth, Persian (Sevault not Seavault)
Shock Wave on Meowth, Persian, Abra
Psych Up on Meowth
Light Screen on Psyduck
Metronome on Mankey, Primeape, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Abra
Fire Spin on Growlithe
Heat Wave on Growlithe
Belly Drum on Poliwag, Poliwhirl

*NOTE*
Aren't Diglett and Dugtrio exclusive to Diglett's Tunnel?

It seems mostly Shock Wave and Metronome have been messing up.

Checked #64-74

-Metronome on Kadabra, Alakazam, Machop, Machoke, Machamp and Geodude
-Slam on Bellsprout and evolutions. (Last time I checked, Slam can Paralyze. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
-Double periods at the end of Bubblebeam on Tentacruel