• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokedex 3D AR Markers

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm so lost right now...

Does it say how to display your Pokemon via the AR mode within the actual game? Because I can't figure out how. I've seen the AR Markers uploaded onto the internet, but I don't understand how they were copied and uploaded. How do you get your current collection of AR Markers off your game so you can use them in the real world...?

Maybe I'm just missing something incredibly obvious, but it's giving me a headache. Help? :x

To explain Katie, an AR marker is basically a code in the form of a block picture. Basically, how it works for the 3d pokedex, is that the camera in the 3ds reads the pattern, it gets processed through the game, and if the marker matches the pattern code for one of the pokemon, then the game inputs the 3d model for that pokemon over the location of the AR marker. AR markers can also be used as one of the methods for adding pokemon to the 3d pokedex, as not all pokemon are registered right away. If you scan an AR marker for an unregistered pokemon, then that pokemon will become likely to be added to your pokedex the next time you use the Spot Pass.

It says that you are supposed to print them, I think that means you connect your 3DS to your printer, print out the marker (or print it from the internet), and then you can place the marker anywhere in house, home, or on a national landmark (which would look bloody awesome), and capture it on camera with your 3DS.

Did you follow that Katie? Good, because as a present for understanding, here´s the marker for Oshawott
Oshawott.jpg

Be sure to send a picture of Oshawott with pizza afterwards :3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Blah. My original reply got eated up by my browser timing out... D:

Brendan Savem said:
It says that you are supposed to print them, I think that means you connect your 3DS to your printer, print out the marker (or print it from the internet), and then you can place the marker anywhere in house, home, or on a national landmark (which would look bloody awesome), and capture it on camera with your 3DS.

Anyways, this is exactly what I'm confused about. How do you hook your 3DS up to a printer? I've yet to find an option for it, and the Pokedex 3D game itself doesn't seem to explain it... unless I'm completely blind. Basically, while I know they're pretty well all online now, I want to know how to save the AR Markers onto my PC myself, and that's where my confusion lies. Do you know the actual process of doing this, Brendan? That would help muchly.

I'm totally going to take lots of pictures with Oshawott and its other two stages. Pizza WILL be involved! X3

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
In the manual, it says you can also draw them yourself (since they're very simple shapes, after all), and that'd work. Short of anything else, it's an option at least.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
In the manual, it says you can also draw them yourself (since they're very simple shapes, after all), and that'd work. Short of anything else, it's an option at least.

That might be the best way, and it's quite easy to recreate them in a digital program like Paint. I was just hoping there was a more direct approach, but from what I can tell there isn't.

@Toastie: I don't think the game allows you to do that.

Hmmmm

given that all the AR requires is the shape of the marker to render a Pokemon, would a larger AR marker (like say, 1 by 1 feet) in theory, render a larger picture of a Pokemon? I was wondering because it would be a lot more interesting to take pictures of Pokemon that are actually their regular size.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
RX said:
Hmmmm

given that all the AR requires is the shape of the marker to render a Pokemon, would a larger AR marker (like say, 1 by 1 feet) in theory, render a larger picture of a Pokemon? I was wondering because it would be a lot more interesting to take pictures of Pokemon that are actually their regular size.

There's actually a scaling feature unlocked after you collect a certain amount of stickers, so it allows you to resize the Pokemon to some degree.

But your assumption is right. The larger the AR Marker you're scanning, the larger the Pokemon appears to be. I noted this yesterday while displaying AR Markers on my iPod Touch. I've been far too lazy to actually print any of the markers out... XD