• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Pokecharms vs PokemonWorld Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
PokémonWorld vs. PokéCharms

PokémonWorld - Chat
PokéCharms - Chat
Not too long ago, the idea was brought up that it could be fun allow two separate forums to compete against each other in a friendly, yet competitive tournament. PokémonWorld has first decided to ask PokéCharms to be a part of it and they've wholeheartedly accepted the 'challenge' if you will. It would probably be a good idea if the competing members joined both forums to make it easier to contact their opponent. Due to the friendly nature of the tournament and both communities, compromises have been made with regards to format and rules - which will be detailed below.

The tournament will be a Standard Single Battle OU Tournament, meaning you can use any Pokémon that is not listed in Smogon's Uber Tier. The format chosen will definitely be Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A lot of players use Shoddy Battle and would prefer it for this tournament, but we'll be sticking to Wi-Fi for this one. So if you don't have a somewhat reliable Wi-Fi Connection and a Nintendo DS with Diamond / Pearl / Platinum, don't enter. Most of the battling rules are taken from Smogon's rules, which are well renowned as the default competitive rules across most forums. Item Clause is one of the rather common clauses that is absent from this rule-set, so remember to take that into account.

Regarding any Suspect Tests currently in progress on Smogon. The Tier List will be static once this tournament has begun. So, if this tournament starts and Manaphy and/or Latias are voted upon to change their status in any way while the tournament is in progress, it will have no effect on the Tier List for this tournament. If said event happens before this tournament begins, that Tier List will prove to be the default for this tournament.

Rules
  • This Tournament is a Standard OU Tournament, to be contested over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection using the Single Battle, Level 100 stipulations.
  • Sleep Clause. A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause. A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause. Players cannot use moves that have a chance to instantly KO opposing Pokémon. For example, Horn Drill is an illegal move to have on a Pokémon's move-set.
  • Self-KO Clause. Players cannot use moves such as Explosion or Selfdestruct that force a tie. If a move that has recoil damage causes a tie, the match should be replayed.
  • Species Clause. A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Chatot on his or her team.
  • All tiers are based on Smogon Tiers. The current status of the appropriate standard ladder will function as the prevailing tier list.
  • Soul Dew Clause. The item Soul Dew is banned.

As for the matches, we're just looking for as many sign ups as possible, provided the sign ups are committed players who we can expect to get their games done quickly and on time. Whichever forum has the least players put forward to compete will set the bar. Once we know the number of players needed, we can choose our final set of competitors and organise the matches. Matches will be picked on at random, with one player from PokémonWorld facing one player from PokéCharms. The winning team will be the team who wins the most matches overall. For example, if both sides manage five competitors, the first side to win three games will be victorious.

If you wish to sign up to take part, please post in this topic. Keep in mind that not everyone who wants to sign up will be able to take part - I'll only select the best battlers out of all who sign up, although the number, as stated, is indefinite as of right now. Any queries, either post them in this topic or PM me.

Sign-ups:

1. Xatu
2. Gerudo Ganon
3. Balakai
4. Blisk
5. Tailon77
6. Leaf
7. Silver Magpie
8. Fumanshu
9. LoN

All names in bold have already proven themselves able to take part, and thus will be in the final team selection unless something unexpected occurs that prevents them from taking part. All names that are still in normal font have yet to take part in a tryout and will need to do so in order to make the final cut.

EDIT: Sign-ups and tryouts are over, everyone in bold is in the final team.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the matches:

Entatsu vs Balakai
Global Warming vs LoN
mmdnr111 vs Gerudo Ganon
PenguinX vs Fumanshu
tblakey89 vs Silver Magpie

Have fun. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in. I recently started actually taking the time to EV things, so I'm looking for a chance to test some things out.

Tailon

Gryffindork
I'm game, sign me up, although I'll have to switch a couple of UUs for OUs... *runs off to EV train*

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As a note, I will likely be holding tryout battles for people in the chat tomorrow for people - I suggest if you want to be picked to battle against PokemonWorld, you make your way to the chat for tryouts. I probably won't be able to sort everyone out in one day myself, but I may be able to find others who can help me out.

Drop by tomorrow and I'll see what I can do for you - if you have mIRC, I'll be in the #PokecharmsWFC channel there, as well as the main 'Charms chat for those that don't.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No, probably 6vs6 for the most part to reflect the battles in the tournament itself, assuming they're being held in that manner also (which I believe they will be since 6vs6 is the standard.)

Ok. That's kind of a tall order because the only full team I will have ready by tomorrow is my Fishing Tournament one. I hope you're not taking these too seriously because of what we currently have? Sorry for being a nag.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's more serious than any regular tournament we'd have here, but I still wouldn't call this serious in any way - it's a game, it's for fun. The only "serious" aspect of this is the fact that I'll only be picking the best players out of the ones who sign up - if you aren't that great at competitive battling, then odds are I won't pick you anyway.

It isn't really any more complex than that.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I really want to sign up for this, but I'm not sure if I'd be able. With my new work schedule I'm never sure exactly when I'd be available and I'd hate to let the team down by not being able to attend a match etc. Plus, even though my connect has been fine recently, lets face it - it's never been the most reliable

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about tight schedules too much here - each person only battles once in the whole tournament anyway.

As in serious, I was referring to the tryouts because people haven't had time to get a team if they don't have one already done. I understand the tournament is important because it's our site's reputation.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since it's standard rules, I'd expect everyone signing up to already have a fully trained 6vs6 team that they have decent experience with. There's no special stipulations for people to prepare for, just standard, use-what-you-want, 6vs6. There's no excuse not to already have a team ready if you've signed up for this.

I gotta agree with KoL on this one, most of us have multiple teams that we can use and at least one team we are comfortable with, if i were you blisk I would start training now luckily you wont have to level them to level 100 you will just have to EV train your team and obviously evolve them but you should be able to test it out a few times. I am also able to test some of you but it will have to be before 6 GMT because I have a friends 21st but other then that I will be free

I'd expect everyone to cope easily really. There's not going to be any strict time restraints in regards to getting your battle done - and sign ups are going to be up for roughly another week yet anyway, so that's plenty of time to herd some Pokémon together and have some practice games.

I'm mostly coming at this from the angle of I want to start competitive battling. I have no experience whatsoever, and I have no current team. So, if you want to count me out for this one, I'll understand.
I will however being work on a team, and if it turns out well, then we'll see what happens.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That's what the tryouts are for - come along anyway (any time over the next seven days, in chat) and if I'm there, I'll see how good you are. It may be that you're good enough right off the bat, so it's worth having a tryout since, if anything, it gives you a practice battle or two anyway.

I dont actually want to sign up because I havent got a competitive team yet but I just wanted to ask a question. I looked at that OU thing and are those the only pokemon you are allowed to use? I hope not because I have already EV trained two things that I cant find there. Does this mean I cant competitive battle with these pokemon I have already EV trained?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The tournament will be a Standard Single Battle OU Tournament, meaning you can use any Pokémon that is not listed in Smogon's Uber Tier.

The only Pokemon you can't use are those listed in the Uber tier:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

You can use any other Pokemon :)

Ok, thanks for that useful information. I was beginning to worry that I would have to make a new team.

EDIT: I am sorry if this is considered SPAM, I was just curious abot this and didnt know where else to ask.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Count me in. How could I not see something like that for so long x.O

I was asking myself the same, Fuman. :p

I think this goes without saying, but neither you nor Balakai require a tryout of any sort.

Don't worry Reindeer, all queries regarding the tournament go here, so it's not SPAM at all.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since me and Havak have agreed that sign-ups end tomorrow, anyone who has yet to do so (not including everyone already confirmed to be taking part) must have a tryout battle in order to see if you can take part. Four isn't quite enough, and we could really do with at least one more for this.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yup, and with that, sign-ups are now closed. :p

We'll let you know ASAP when the battles for this will be taking place, since Havak has said it doesn't have to be straightaway also.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Bump.

Here be the matches for the tournament:

Entatsu vs Balakai
Global Warming vs LoN
mmdnr111 vs Gerudo Ganon
PenguinX vs Fumanshu
tblakey89 vs Silver Magpie

Best of five overall, so the first site to net three victories is the winner. Matches are set for anytime between 1st and 14th of February since PokemonWorld has another tournament set to start on the 15th, so ASAP planning (and battling) is advisable for this.

One final note: If you have any HG/SS tutor moves on your movesets, they are allowed to be used here.

The matches will be in the first post of the topic as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting... Havak isn't participating? I figured he'd definitely be in this one (but I'm sure he had his reasons) XD

Cool to finally see this getting underway. Good luck you guys! Make us proud :'D

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Considering I've still got uni work going here, I shouldn't be doing this either really. :p

I'm a slacker though, and it's all in good fun, so...yeah.

Man i am getting nervous hehe I really hope i do well :p I guess we have to see hehe Good luck to everyone aswell lets show them who we are!! "CHARMS.....FIGHTO!!FIGHTOOOOO" *done in typical Japanese accent*

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I've PM'd my opponent on Pokemonworld, so hopefully we'll be able to arrange a match up shortly. I can't wait to have our battle, although it is weird for me battling someone I don't 'know', or have at least chatted to first XD

Good luck everyone!

I've PM'd my opponent on Pokemonworld, so hopefully we'll be able to arrange a match up shortly. I can't wait to have our battle, although it is weird for me battling someone I don't 'know', or have at least chatted to first XD
Likewise, I've done the same. Should be fun. ^.^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Mmndr111 beat me, but it was probably one of the most fun matches I've ever played, so I have no regrets. :p

It was unlucky but its not over team charms!! lets hope we get some wins out of our games hehe *is geared for his match*

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm still waiting for an answer to my PM... the wait is killing me XD

Status
Not open for further replies.