• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Pokecharms League

Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea has been tossed around on different posts a few times so I felt it's time to see if we could move forward with it.

The idea is simple; 8 gyms, E4, champion. Simple set-up; beat the 8 gyms for a chance to challenge the E4. As such though a league can only work if there is enough people to partake. For instance, there will need to be 12 leaders, but also enough challengers.

So the idea of this thread is simple, let's get names of people who will partake for definite and once we reach a good number we can start trying to set-up the who's who of this league. So I'll start:

1. GodlessM
2. Secad
3. BigOskarStyle
4. Souloux
5. LoN
6. Electivire61952
7. Sunny
8. Kini
9. DA Kaitou
10. Shiny Eevee
11. Tangrow
12. AshWind
13. Shocari
14. pokemon+girfan

(Note: the list will be updated regularly to add in the names of new sign ups. Let's do this people)

This actually sounds pretty cool. I could be the second gym.

I have a few questions. Do we get to choose our own types and no one else can take it? Are there level limits for each gym/E4 member? Do the gyms gradually get harder, like in the games? What is the number of Pokemon allowed in each team? How do people become eligible to battle these gyms?

I'm really nervous about the last question because I cannot be on 24/7 to battle people. It would be smart to have a sign-up sheet/wait list to battle the gyms at an agreed time.

Sounds good. but I prefer to be a challenger :o!

The thing is, maybe 8 gyms are too many? if you dont find enough people for the gym leader job, cut them down to 6 or 4.

and the gym leaders could make their own rules. like 2on2 or just 4 pokemans and stuff.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hm, I have to agree with Secad and BigO here. Twelve people is quite a lot, especially when you're trying to find people that will likely not have all the time in the world to do something like this. It is an interesting idea though and I have seen it come up several times before, and I'll see if I can sort something out for this.

How are we gonna regulate this? Any restrictions on who is a Leader/E4?

and the gym leaders could make their own rules. like 2on2 or just 4 Pokemon and stuff.
I've seen that done on other forums and it makes sense - the leaders do it in the game, why not us here?

Ok my pardon, I'll clarify some things.

This is just to get people to sign up if they are interested in participating in any way. The best way to find a gym leader is likely to be try outs. But these details can be worried about later.

If we get a good response but not enough to muscle out eight gyms we can bring the number down.

If someone gets the spot of a gym leader, the rules of their gym are at their own disgretion within reason. For instance, a gym leader does not have to be online all the time and can get check for and accept challenges when it suits them, but at the same time if they never come on and hardly ever accept their challenges they will be removed. So even checking in once every day or two could suffice. Each gym will have a type and there only be one type gym ever, eg. only one water gym, etc.

As far as trying out for gym leader, when we get enough people to get the go-ahead on this project, I would feel it's best to discuss the best way to do the tryouts with the pokecharms staff as I believe most of you are probably the most seasoned battlers on here, or at least so I've heard about KoL and Ruko.

So any more questions guys, just shoot.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep in mind that I personally probably won't have the time to dedicate myself to something like this - I merely stated that I liked the idea and that I'd see what I could do to assist you with it.

Besides, I've already had enough hassle in my time with stupid PMs saying "wud u liek 2 batle?" being thrown at my inbox - the last thing I need is to give these clowns an actual excuse to continue such behavior.

I would join in on this but I would have to know the ground rules before hand. I'd rather not battle someone using legendaries. In my opinion using a legendary is simply a way to show how unskilled one is. Other than that I'm totally in.

A league rule will be no hacks nor uber legendaries. The rest will be up to leaders so there is no way to know right now. But rest assured Souloux, should a leader abuse legendaries and anything just to make them impossible to beat, they will be removed.

Keep in mind that I personally probably won't have the time to dedicate myself to something like this - I merely stated that I liked the idea and that I'd see what I could do to assist you with it.

Besides, I've already had enough hassle in my time with stupid PMs saying "wud u liek 2 batle?" being thrown at my inbox - the last thing I need is to give these clowns an actual excuse to continue such behavior.

I was ging to ask you this very question alright, so cheers for posting.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I was thinking...

Since people here actually have a life outside of games and Pokemon, we could make a thread saying what times the each of the gym leaders and E4 are. Say, for example, User1 is free every day except for Thursdays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST (that'll be the timezone), while User2 is available from 8-4 on Mondays, 8-10 and 1-6 on Wednesdays, and free other days from 8-6. Stuff like that, so people won't have to go like "omg can I battle you at this time!?" when they're not free. Also, in the thread they can list the people who're in line for battle.

As for people asking them to battle, via PM would be best in my opinion.

I was thinking try-outs for the gym would be good, though there should be a group of judges... somehow. Perhaps some of the more famous experienced battlers here could decide that? If they have time? I have no idea how that part will work.

[quote author=Kini r teh n00bzorz link=topic=6294.msg106510#msg106510 date=1244747615]
What is considered an uber legendary? o.o
All legendarys... which would be half the team in your signature.
[/quote]
Not all legendarys are ubers but quite a lot of people like to play without legends on both parties.

@Shiny Eevee: Well, it's best that all gym battles are level 100 for even grounds, I think but that's a suggestion and something I haven't seen in any gyms yet so it's a good different approach to it.

Also, I'm up for it... mostly as a challenger but you know, what's stopping gym leaders from challenging other leaders and getting to the E4 themselves (except they have to beat 7 gyms lol), right?

I was thinking...

Since people here actually have a life outside of games and Pokemon, we could make a thread saying what times the each of the gym leaders and E4 are. Say, for example, User1 is free every day except for Thursdays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST (that'll be the timezone), while User2 is available from 8-4 on Mondays, 8-10 and 1-6 on Wednesdays, and free other days from 8-6. Stuff like that, so people won't have to go like "omg can I battle you at this time!?" when they're not free. Also, in the thread they can list the people who're in line for battle.

As for people asking them to battle, via PM would be best in my opinion.

I was thinking try-outs for the gym would be good, though there should be a group of judges... somehow. Perhaps some of the more famous experienced battlers here could decide that? If they have time? I have no idea how that part will work.

Yes, this idea is very interesting and I would love to be a part of this. I would love to sign-up for E4/Gym Leader, if there is still room for tryouts.

I can/will be available at least 6 days a week, so no problem there, and have a secure and reliable wi-fi connection.

For the battling style-let the Leaders/E4 choose how their's is set up, as it creates a lot of individuality and leaves for the challenger to strategize for the battles. That's how they do it in the anime/show, if I'm not mistaken. These battles would be either Lv 50 or Open Level, depending on each Leader's preference or at the discretion of whoever's running this(I'm assuming it's either you or our neighborhood battle veterans)

Leaders will indeed decide to specifics of battling at their gym. There will be brief rules for leaders so as to not allow them to abuse their position, but these will be loose.

Guys you don't seem to get the idea that you actually have to prove yerselves as gym leaders you can't just sign up and say, "hey, I'm a gym leader."

Also, Kini, the level of your Pokemon don't matter since the whole thing will be done through wi-fi.

Lastly, to the mods and admins of the site, if this actually takes off, would it be possible to get a sub forum for keeping track of gym information, leadrboards, etc.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I was about to bring that up, actually.

This won't be going anywhere until it gets given the OK by either Nemesis or Doctor Oak. Keep in mind that this will likely require a great deal of management and planning on our part, and most of us may not have the time to do something like that. So, don't get too excited until this actually gets given the go-ahead by the admins.

I was about to bring that up, actually.

This won't be going anywhere until it gets given the OK by either Nemesis or Doctor Oak. Keep in mind that this will likely require a great deal of management and planning on our part, and most of us may not have the time to do something like that. So, don't get too excited until this actually gets given the go-ahead by the admins.

All true, but the admins don't have to be the one's to manage the whole thing.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I didn't say I was definite to join. Just wanted to when I got a DS and a game. XD

Also, I think the only way Nem or the Doc will agree to this is if enough people were interested, or if they themselves were really into it and thinks that this idea may even last for quite a while.

And as for the admin thing... well, as this site is run by the admins and mods, really (okay, run by Alex, but you get my point), I don't see how it can't be them who manage something this big that's Pokecharms-related.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
At the end of the day, if this does get the go-ahead, it will be us who manages it for the most part, specifically myself and Nem since we moderate the Wi-Fi boards. However, again, I can't confirm anything until Nem and Oak say something regarding this.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Time to break out the moderator hat, I guess.

First of all, GodlessM, it's great you've thought about this and how it would work, and even taken the time to write up the topic. However, as has been said a few times already, anything like this ultimately will be run by the mods/admins at some level. In that respect, it may have been best to PM us one of us about it first.

In general, it is a nice idea, if a little ambitious. I can't see gyms that increase with levels working at all. What would be the point in fighting a gym with Pokemon around level 10, going back to your DS to power level to level 20 or whatever the range of the next gym? The whole gym idea works nicely in a leveling up environment, but not over wifi.

The other main problem I see with this is one that crops up over and over again with online projects. Everyone's pretty enthusiastic at the moment, but will it be the same story in a week or twos time? Also, the amount of people who are interested will also be an issue. Do you really think there will be enough interest for eight gym leaders plus people to "tryout" for the position?

Anyways, my word on this is that for now, it should be curbed. It isn't being ruled out, and has even made me think about how we could run this, but if it does happen it needs to be organised (mainly) by the staff. That isn't to say that if it happens you won't be involved, GodlessM, but ultimately the main running of any such system should be done by a mod/admin.

I'm going to close this topic, because there's already been a lot of interest, and wouldn't want anyone skimming the first post and immediately posting with their interest. If anyone does want to comment on it, including you Godless, I understand you might have some questions, direct them straight to me via PM and I'll try and reply as quickly as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.