• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pocket Monsters Special AKA PokeMon Adventures

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't notice a thread about it here and since I appear to have fallen in love with the thing...

For the uninitiated (which I doubt we have too many of), Pocket Monsters Special, or PokeMon Adventures, is one of a few PokeMon manga series - and possibly the longest-running one yet, considering that in Japan it's already going into a Platinum-based Saga. Personally, I just finished reading it up to the end of the Johto arc - still got the Hoenn and Battle Frontier arcs ahead of me. And I must say - damn. It's just so... different So Wrong. YET SO FRELLING AWESOME.

Uh. Yes. I'm terrible at starting topics. Discuss PKMN Special here and stuffs? >>;

If it's as cool as you say, is there a link where I can read it or is it import only? I've seen references to it on Bulbapedia and it does seem more interesting than the anime in some parts.

C

Celadon

If it's as cool as you say, is there a link where I can read it or is it import only? I've seen references to it on Bulbapedia and it does seem more interesting than the anime in some parts.

No, Tatile, you can read it here.

Direct Link: http://www.onemanga.com

I actually like to read the manga more than the anime. That is especially because of Ash's childish, and sometimes foolish, behaviour. Plus, it resembles the games, too.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The link I followed is elsewhere actually.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/pok_mon_adventures/v01/c001/

This site has the manga up to the end of the Emerald Arc. Some bits are scanlations, other bits are the official translations. Note that past the yellow saga all the official translations are rather horrid as they were done by a Singaporean company. For no good reason. >>;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hahah. About time you started reading it XD

I recently located a website with a lot of them fan-translated too, but haven't had the chance to read any of it yet. As you know, I collected the comics up until the end of the Yellow Saga (at which the official Viz translations ended). They were one of the few manga that I followed avidly release to release, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on each successive issue. It's freakin' WTF alright, and completely and utterly awesome because of it. The art, the plots - everything about it is awesome. By far my favourite Pokemon manga collection, and one I'd recommend to any Pokemon fan.

Thanks for that link btw. It might have some of the issues my other source was supposedly missing.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Pokemon Adventure is what I believe to be the way the Pokemon world really is. You have all the elements of the game mixed with a dose of reality where the character's lives really are indanger and the villians have better motives than just being evil for the sake of being evil.

I've just started Yellow and so far I'm liking it! :D

I'm actually following the Pokemon Adventure series as well and I actually like it a lot better than the anime, excluding the first few seasons. I personally like Red better than Ash and I just think the plots are more exciting and new. Has anyone gotten to the D/P/P arc yet?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but Viz Media is re-releasing their translated version of Pokemon Adventures in graphic novel form (this time not in the ridiculous "Best Of" format either). The first volume is already out, and according to Amazon.com the next is due in August.

If you really enjoy the series, I suggest buying it, too. Of course since this is probably just a re-release you won't be able to buy the G/S and on sagas, but better than nothing, eh? XP

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Just wanted to let you know I finished everything that Mangafox had as far as Pocket Monsters Special goes a couple of days ago, including the Emerald arc.

That was awesome. XD

I'm wondering how D/P will tie in, if at all...

I'm part way through the Ruby/Sapphire arc (at least I think that's what you call it XD). The writers seem to have a come a little ways in terms of character development, what with Ruby being a coordinator and Sapphire being... mad.

Ruby has got to be one of favourite characters so far, he's so terribly camp and deathly serious. He's adorable, almost makes me want to write about a coordinator. Sapphire's crazy and a wondeful change from the normal, anime-series female leads. In fact, most of the female leads in this seem to have more personality to them than their counter-parts in the anime (though I haven't watched much of recently, it seems that all Dawn and May are doing is pretty twirls in sub-par outfits).

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
In fact, most of the female leads in this seem to have more personality to them than their counter-parts in the anime

All the manga characters are better developed than their anime counter-parts. Even Ash has the same stagnant personality he had in seaon one, the only season that did any character developement.

That's true Psycho. The anime tends to be a let down on many things in the Pokemon world (why does Night Slash come up white?), but I suppose that's partly because the audience they aim the anime at if different to the manga audience (you know, what with children being illeterate and all >.>). I picked more on the girls because Green was wondefully scheming most of the time and Sapphire's such a polar opposite of May it's almost unreal that they share the same character design (physically). That and ... *pokes self* Yeah.