• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Platinum Evaluation?

Hey there, could I get you guys to evalute my Platinum team?
One thing about all of them is that they have mixed EVs

Empoleon
Timid
@ Wise Glasses
Flash Cannon STAB
Hydro Pump STAB
Surf STAB
Grass Knot

Magmortar
Modest
@ Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower STAB
Confuse Ray
Focus Blast

Electivire
Naughty
@ Magnet
Thunderbolt STAB
Thunder Punch STAB
Screech
Rock Climb

Froslass
Serious
@ Nevermeltice
Headbutt
Hail
Ice Beam STAB
Ominous Wind STAB

Crobat
Naughty
@ Poison Barb
Cross Poison STAB
Fly STAB
Air Slash STAB
Confuse Ray

Scizor
Brave
(ability = Swarm)
@ Scope Lens
Iron Head
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
False Swipe (currently being used for capturing Pokemon)

I also have a few others that I need suggestions on how to proceed...

Pineco lvl 10 (shiny XD)
Bold
Tackle
Protect
Selfdestruct
Bugbite

Crawdaunt
Adamant
@ Power Belt
Vice Grip
BubbleBeam
Crabhammer
Night Slash

Magnezone
Serious
Lock On
Magnet Bomb
Screech
Discharge
(semi freshly caught)

If you can help with these, that would be great.

Since I have no idea if this is being used competitively, I'll view it as such. Empoleon doesn't need two Water STAB moves, and I suggest you replace Hydro Pump with some support move like Stealth Rock, considering Emploleon is apparently your lead. Flash Cannon's coverage is pretty limited, and Surf already covers one of those types, so you could probably put in something like Yawn to force a switch or get an opponent to sleep.

I can't say I've ever used a Magmortar before, but I suggest replacing the Life Orb with the Choice Specs for a Choice Set and putting in another strong Special Attack in there instead of Confuse Ray, like Psychic. Or, you could keep the Life Orb and put in Will o' Wisp instead of Confuse Ray.

Once again, Electivire doesn't need to STAB moves, so I think you should replace Thunderbolt and Screech with Fire Punch and Earthquake. If you can replace Rock Climb with some strong Physical Move as well.

Froslass is fine, although you should take off Head butt and put on Destiny Bond, if its level is high enough. And although using its ability is tempting, Hail is going to hurt your team more than help you, so you could possibly put in Taunt.

Crobat....Eh, I don't got much to say about it. Just replace one of your Flying moves with something nice.

Scizor would've been so much better if it knew Technician....anyway, since it doesn't, I still suggest you should take off False Swipe and put on a Priority Move, like Quick Attack or Bullet Punch.

I'd add more, but I'm just kind of skimming through this. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's some sets for you:

Empoleon @ Anything really
Modest
Torrent

- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

As Tangrow said, Empoleon can be used as a Stealth Rock lead potentially thanks to its typing and decent defensive prowess. Lay down the rocks and then start attacking, pretty much. The item can be anything that isn't a Choice Item (although Choice Scarf can work to some extent) or Life Orb, since Empoleon won't really see much use out of either for this.

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Flame Body
Mild/Hasty

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Cross Chop

A wall-breaker of sorts, designed to target an opponent's more defense-oriented Pokemon and knock them down. Fire Blast vs Flamethrower is personal preference really - Fire Blast is the move of choice if you want to do more damage. 85% accuracy on the move is actually pretty good for the damage it does, but if you prefer something more reliable then Flamethrower's perfect accuracy and extra 10 PP is viable also. This move will come in handy against Steel-type walls such as Skarmory, Forretress and Steelix. Thunderbolt is for bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic, although beware of Mirror Coat on the latter, Psychic is there for a bit of extra coverage also and can tear through Weezing, and Cross Chop with enough EVs in Attack can severely wound special walls such as Blissey and Regice - the increased crit chance the move has can help greatly here as well.

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
Motor Drive

- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop/Brick Break

Standard set for Electivire - hitting 13 out of 17 types for super-effective damage is a devastating ability to have, and combined with a Choice Scarf Electivire can be a devastating revenge killer, striking down wounded enemies with ease thanks to its coverage and speed. The first move is your STAB attack, which hits very hard off Electivire's brilliant Attack stat. Ice Punch + Choice Scarf is anti-dragon effectively, and allows Electivire to pick off Flygon and Salamence, although watch out for the latter's Intimidate ability. Earthquake lets you strike down opposing Electric-types and Fire-types - Infernape will fall easily, and Jolteon will be forced to flee for its life if you manage to steal a Motor Drive boost. Finally, Cross Chop/Brick Break crushes Weavile and most Normal-types.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician

- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Pursuit/X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Scizor getting Bullet Punch in Platinum has turned it into a fearsome beast to have to face - Bullet Punch packs a brilliant 90 Power thanks to STAB and Technician, allowing Scizor to hit very hard and very fast. Swords Dance allows Scizor to inflict even more damage with its attacks as well. Brick Break is for Steel-types that resist your Bullet Punch, and the last move is filler - X-Scissor provides double-STAB, but Tech'd Pursuit grants Scizor the ability to revenge kill anything that tries to run from it if you predict switches well.

That's all from me for now, hope it helped.

A quick note for both in game and out, your team has a pretty big ground weakness. If the 'lass is knocked out your up 4 weak to ground pokemon which can hurt alot. Not sure how far you are in the game but the dreaded Cynthia's Garchomp must of been a pain and if you have not faced it yet it will.

I've beaten the league, and I OHKO'd the Garchomp with Froslass. While I'd prefer not to retrain some of these guys, I will if I have to, like with Scizor since it doesn't have technician.
A quick note for both in game and out, your team has a pretty big ground weakness. If the 'lass is knocked out your up 4 weak to ground pokemon which can hurt alot.

Only 3 are weak to ground. Scizor takes a normal hit from it, as does 'Lass. Crobat is, obviously, uneffected.

Thanks for the advice so far, though I want to have advice on where to head for training this Pineco.

Pineco lvl 10 UT
Bold
Tackle
Protect
Selfdestruct
Bugbite

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Oddly, considering just how many moves Forretress has available to it, pretty much all Forretress are the same:

Forretress @ Occa Berry/Shed Shell
Relaxed
Sturdy

- Gyro Ball/Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock/Spikes

Set up entry hazards, spin away the opponent's and then explode once you're done - this is pretty much a day in the life of almost every competitive Forretress in existence. The choice of attack is up to you, although Gyro Ball will likely be the more damaging of the two in most situations. The item choice depends on what you fear more: Fire-types or Magnet Pullers. The Occa Berry will spare you from a quick Fire-related death (once,) whilst the Shed Shell negates the Magnet Pull ability of the opponent's Magnezone/Probopass or whatever and allows you to switch out freely.