• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pikachu's New Voice! The Unthinkable Happens!

We don't know for sure yet what's going to happen, but Ikue Ohtani has become sick. With what, I'm not sure, but it's serious enough that she's resigned as the global voice of Pikachu. :cry:

I guess the two options would be to use existing clips of her voice to cover the rest of the series (there's certainly enough source material to make that workable if the series is nearly over), or they find another actress/actor to replace her (more likely if the series continues past the Battle Frontier).

Ikue Ohtani has been doing Pikahcu since the debut of the series (except in the dub, where the first couple dozen episodes had Rachel Lillis filling in), and her voice is of course recognized worldwide. Here's hoping the crew handles this situation well!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
She hasn't resigned - only taken a leave of absense. As Musashi's Voice Actor did for about 10 or so eps in AG while she had her baby.

While Ohtani is sick, they'll probably just use voice clips from the 400 odd eps they've already got a soundbank for. The only real difficulty they'd have is if Pikachu has an ep where it's out on it's own and therefore has quite a lot of specifically moulded speech.

Otherwise, just slipping in 'Pika!' 'Pikapi!' 'Piiiikaaaachuuuuu'" when necessary would be easier than getting in another voice.

Looks like I'll have to step in and take over. I knew they would need me some day! 8)

"Arthur, get me the pentagon!...I mean the pokemon!....people...."

(This would make more sense if I hadn't changed my name to Crabmeat XD)

Well, that's a relief, I guess. If they ever did need a replacement, I'd be more than happy to oblige. (Little kids would run in terror when Pikachu all of a sudden sounds like Onix.)