• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PBR Custom Trainer Appearances and Catchphrases

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think I've had a bit too much fun messing around with this customization option, even if it is basic. I started out using the "Cool Female" body model but just couldn't stand the way she acts/stands/dresses, so I caved and changed to the young boy (the best looking custom model in the game imo).

Anyways, I'm still working away at buying new gear for him, but at the moment he's wearing this stuff:
Head: Crown
Hair: Teal Blue
Face: PokeBall Paint
Glasses: Wild Shades
Top: Flame T-Shirt
Hands: Western Gloves A
Bottom: Ocean Pants
Shoes: City Shoes A
Badges: Golden Badge
Bags: PokeBall Bag

As for my catchphrases, it'd be more fun if someone battled me and discovered them for themselves, but what the hey (I blame Stel for the theme):
Greeting: How are you gentlemen?
Pokemon Sent Out: Main screen turn on!
Pokemon Shift 1: Take off every ZIG!
Pokemon Shift 2: Move ZIG!
Win: FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
Lose: Someone set us up the bomb...

And that's my kid, Kenji, in a nutshell - for the moment ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

I really, really wanted to shove that line in somewhere, but "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!" makes me laugh too much as a 'win' catchphrase to change it.

All Your Base/Zero Wing is one internet meme that never gets old... at least not for geeky people like me ^^

Heh. Maybe I'll do a Terrible Secret of Space theme when I get the game. Although, the only phrase from that which I think would work is "Please stand next to the stairs" as a greeting.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
'All your prize money are belong to us.' would have worked better as a victory phrase. :p

Heck no. There is no prize money in PBR, just Battle Points... and all that really brings to mind is random YGOA life-points references XD

Really, there's nothing better than watching my player character punch his balled first into the air and yell "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!" (even if the actual voice is merely my own xp).

So... does anyone else even have the game yet? ^^;

Ive got a good greeting

"Hey, these aren't my pokémon"

or is that too many characters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck no. There is no prize money in PBR, just Battle Points... and all that really brings to mind is random YGOA life-points references XD

Really, there's nothing better than watching my player character punch his balled first into the air and yell "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!" (even if the actual voice is merely my own xp).

I'm hoping to get the game fairly soon, seeing as you can customize your own character. The visuals are awsome, and Wi-Fi just makes it that much better.

And in that case, the 'Great Justice' phrase seems appropriate. 'All your battle points are belong to me' just sounds silly. ^^'

I got it,and i didnt even touch my firered team till i bought some reasonable gear ^^

I got 3 people,sorta like this...(probably got some wrong)

Ayra (Young Girl A) (Firered Team):
Girl cap A
Picnic top A
girl shorts A
Picnic Shoes B
Picnic Gloves A
Green Eyes
Fire Badge

Catch phrases arn't really from any game,basically just an overconfident trainer :D

Terek (Cool Boy A) (Diamond Team):
Cool boy cap B
Cool Top B
Expedition pants
Gold Badge
Fingerless Gloves
Red Eyes

Catch Phrases = Ego guy >.>

And for kicks

Mia (Little Girl A) (Double Battle Team):
Crown
Flame Dress
Red Eyes
Gold Badge
other stuff.

Didnt change the phrases,but they wern't bad...gotta suck losing to an ego trip 7ish year old >.>

Only thing that really bothers me is the fact you gotta buy most of the gear...that and the fact that most gear can't be used on other chars.I'm sure they coulda made it work but for some reason i think they wanted a specific theme for each character type.

Oh...and outfits can't be modified...i'd love to use the pachirisu outfit if i didnt look EXACTLY like the Main Street Colloseum leader :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ive got a good greeting

"Hey, these aren't my pokémon"

or is that too many characters?

For a greeting, I think you'd be able to manage it. It's really only the shifts (and possibly the send out) that heavily restrict your text usage.

Only thing that really bothers me is the fact you gotta buy most of the gear...that and the fact that most gear can't be used on other chars.I'm sure they coulda made it work but for some reason i think they wanted a specific theme for each character type.

Oh...and outfits can't be modified...

I highly agree. They could've allowed us to put more variety on the different characters, or at least allowed us to alter the color of their gear. You can't alter weight, height, etc. either, which even Miis allow you to do. But I guess I'm just happy to see some sort of customization system now with hopes of something better in future releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a greeting, I think you'd be able to manage it. It's really only the shifts (and possibly the send out) that heavily restrict your text usage.

I highly agree. They could've allowed us to put more variety on the different characters, or at least allowed us to alter the color of their gear. You can't alter weight, height, etc. either, which even Miis allow you to do. But I guess I'm just happy to see some sort of customization system now with hopes of something better in future releases.

So, what you're saying is that we can only buy outfits, and not mis-and-match them? (Sort of like the trainers on the trainer cards?)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No, you can mis-match. Tops and bottoms (aka. shirts and pants) are in seperate categories, so you can choose whichever ones you have available from your lists (which isn't a large amount overall) to put on the character. What you can't do, though, is change the color of the shirts or pants, so all flame shirts on a given model look the same, all ocean shirts look the same, etc.

The positive point about it is the variety of things you can edit. With 10 categories, you might not end up with your ideal trainer, but you'll probably be able to pull off something a bit original and not the exact same as everyone else.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh...and outfits can't be modified...i'd love to use the pachirisu outfit if i didnt look EXACTLY like the Main Street Colloseum leader :(

NOW I see exactly what you meant. I hadn't won any actual cosplayer outfits yet =o

And yeah, that is kinda lame. Even if they wanted the outfits to be one-piece only, they could've at least given us the ability to change our face, eyes, hair, and glasses along with it.

Guess I should've seen it coming... oh well. I might still try out the Lucario and Groudon outfits for a bit ^^

How long can you make the greeting? Could I, for instance, use Team Rocket's original motto?

Regardless, here's what my "Gardevoir Master" phrases might be:

Greeting: You are not worthy of gazing upon the beauty that is Gardevoir!
Send out: Knights, take up arms! Show the power of Gardevoir's Love!
Shift1: You dissapoint Gardevoir.
Shift2: Don't make Gardevoir cry!
Win: Dialga? Palkia? They may be the Masters of Time and Space, but Gardevoir is mistress of both!
Lose: Gardevoir, forgive me!

I guess I'll do my own, as well.

Sonjo phrases:

Greeting: Here I go, Gai-Sensei!
Send out: Let the power of Youth explode!
Shift1:I must defend those precious to me!
Shift2:You've taken your medicine.
Win: I've done it, Gai-sensei!
Lose:The Lotus blooms twice, I suppose...

Yup, that's right.

Name: Jeff
Character: Muscle Man
Brown hair, frameless glasses, cyber shirt/pants, Pokeball badge, default rest of costume.

Greeting: Tick tock tick tock.
Send out: It's time to win!
Shift1: It's time for a switch.
Shift2: Clean their clocks!
Win: It looks like your time is up!
Lose: You hammered me this time...

Just for future reference, when do Shift1 and Shift2 occur? I imagine Shift1 is when you're recalling the Pokemon, and Shift2 is when you send out a new one.

That's exactly what they do.And as a question in appearances,does anyone know how to make new ones show up,and does anyone know if the Trainer characters outfits are anywhere in the game (Leaf Red Lucas Hikari etc),I know theres pictures on Serebii of red and Leaf,and possibly lucas

How long can you make the greeting? Could I, for instance, use Team Rocket's original motto?

Regardless, here's what my "Gardevoir Master" phrases might be:

Greeting: You are not worthy of gazing upon the beauty that is Gardevoir!
Send out: Knights, take up arms! Show the power of Gardevoir's Love!
Shift1: You dissapoint Gardevoir.
Shift2: Don't make Gardevoir cry!
Win: Dialga? Palkia? They may be the Masters of Time and Space, but Gardevoir is mistress of both!
Lose: Gardevoir, forgive me!
Someone's a little obsessive. ::)

What other cosplayer outfits are there?
(I dont have the game, but I'm for some reason interested. XD )

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
For Gardie Master and Sonjo: Don't think you'd be able to fit that much text in. Now that I've gone back to make a new model I've realize just how limited the text fields are. Couldn't even use a few choice quotes =/

I might have the wrong colors listed, but:

Name: Bryan
Model: Young Boy A
Headgear: City Hat A
Hair: Shiny Yellow Hair
Face: Nose Bandage
Glasses: Wild Shades
Top: Summer Shirt A
Hands: Western Gloves B
Bottom: Ocean Pants
Shoes: Western Shoes B
Badge: Ruby Brooch
Bag: Pokeball Bag

He looks something-like-a-this:
battlerevolutionbryanspur4.png

And a couple of my catchphrases are a bit vulgar or cruel, so I won't bother posting them.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Exactly how many characters/spaces can be used? Or do you select words from a menu?
I don't know exactly how much space, but trust me, it's a harsh limit. And you pick your own words, hence the use of swearing in two of mine.

Greeting: Yo.
Send Out: Try your hardest!
Shift1: Good enough.
Shift2: Finish it off!
Win: Analyze next time.
Lose: At least I know your tactics.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Of course, I don't have the game yet (tempted as I was to buy it + a North American Wii to play it on while I was in Canada... ::) ).

I'm glad for the warning that I need to think of 6 catchphrases. My ability to think up custom catchphrases in a hurry is legendarily appalling (hence why I never change my /quit or /part messages on irc); and had I not been warned, I can imagine my Pokemon going out to "Bananas in pajamas are coming down the stairs"! Ye-es.

I did an ocean theme, just 'cause I wasn't really wanting to do anything else at the moment. Since this character won the entire game for me, I didn't change it. I made it kinda lame on purpose, the Pokemon Company themselves do it too, so why couldn't I?

Cool Girl A~ Kaitlyn
Ocean Tank Top
Ocean Pants
Pearl Brooch
Cool Bangle C (blue)
Celebrity Hat C (blue)
Celebrity Sandals C (blue)
Sand Beige Hair (Hey, something has to match the real me, plus the blue is a bit much)
Green Eyes (yeah, these match me too)
No bag or glasses, though.

Lol, my favorite colour is actually green, not blue.

Catchphrases~
Greeting: I'm an ocean wave...
Pokemon sent out: And ruthless like one!
Shift 1: Just going with the flow...(really lame, I know. But nothing else would fit in the tiny space allowed)
Shift 2: And using *Pokemon name* (yeah, 1 and 2 are right after each other)
Win: Were you drowned with my talent?
Lose: Guess I was beached... (Althougn I never say this!)

Another ironic point, I only use one water type! So basically, it's me wearing a bunch of clothes that even if they existed, I wouldn't wear. And a way different hairstyle!