• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Part of the iPod cult?

Do you own an iPod?

• Yes (More than one)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes (But just the one)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Damn all iPods to hell!

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Random poll. Whee ^^

Do you own an iPod? If so, what kind and how much did the bugger cost you?

Last December before my trip to China my sister convinced me to buy an iPod. I didn't have hoards of money *coughs* so I shoveled out for a blue, 6 gig iPod mini while my sister bought a 30 gig iPod w/video capabilities. Her's only cost $100 more than mine (her's was around $450, mine was $350)... Yes, I'm an idiot when you consider long-term enjoyment, but the 6 gigs is really all I needed. I put pretty much my entire collection on it (3 gigs worth) and have added a minimal amount of songs since. Out of that 3 gigs I probably only listen to 10% of the collection, too. I love my music when I'm on the go, but I generally listen to my top 100 faves or so over and over again verses going through my entire collection.

My sister says we've joined the cult of mindless teenagers/young adults who walk around like zombies listening to their iPods. Maybe I didn't have an iPod in the past, but I was still one of "those people" with my 64 mg MP3 player ;D

The world is like one giant RPG for me. Someday I plan to pick a specific BG song for every area I generally visit and play them on loop as I travel 8)

Any one else got one? ... And if you don't have an iPod but do have an MP3 player, talk about that too (you're just not part of the cult ;p).

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I have a Sony Network Walkman which, DRM bitchiness aside, kicks the iPod's ass all over the place.

20Gb on it and I've barely used 3. Go me. ^^

It'll definitely last me a LONG time and since it recharges in 3 hours to give me a 48 hour battery, It'll certainly fit into any lifestyle i'll need it to.

Like I said, however, the DRM bitchiness that comes with the Sony name is the only pain I have to endure. Though I'm sure that there's either a way to or there will be a way to hack the firmware and give me full control at some point.

I have a Sony minidisc player. I like it - even though each disc only holds a gigabyte, you can get as many discs as you need, meaning it could potentially hold more music than anything else. I only just filled up my first disc anyway. I don't have a lot of music, so I can survive on one disc.

They're not terribly expensive either; I think mine was less than a hundred bucks.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
My lovely little Play.com 1gig mp3 player suits me just fine. I've barely filled half of it, hardly listen to it and only keep my favourite songs on it. So I'm just fine. :p Basically it's one of the most basic ones you can get, and most of them break. Mine's lasted a few months though, even if Hannah's tried two of them and managed to break both, so I'm good to go. The shortness of the earphone cable annoys me though (the only pocket it actually fits in is the inside pocket in my school blazer).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My lovely little Play.com 1gig mp3 player suits me just fine. I've barely filled half of it, hardly listen to it and only keep my favourite songs on it. So I'm just fine. Tongue Basically it's one of the most basic ones you can get, and most of them break. Mine's lasted a few months though, even if Hannah's tried two of them and managed to break both, so I'm good to go. The shortness of the earphone cable annoys me though (the only pocket it actually fits in is the inside pocket in my school blazer).

You mean... you not only used your DS money on a MP3 player, you spent it on an easily breakable one?!

For shame, Rachel! For shame... :p

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Well, at least mine DOESN'T break. And I get to listen to it for hours on end when we have tons of cover lessons... like at the moment, in fact.

I actually use my PSP as a MP3 player. I have a one gig memory card so its quite nice...but I am looking in to one of those phones with itunes on them....its less bulk with the same quality.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I have no iPod, or MP3 player, or anything to the sort, really. (shrugs) I'm saving up for more useful stuff.

My GF, on the other hand, has a 100GB Archos MP4 player with a recorder. o_O

I have a 4GB blue Ipod. I've filled about a 1/3 of it...which is about 300 or so songs.

I like my Ipod, it's good for traveling on the bus to sports and everything or I can just plug it into my radio.....other than that I don't really use it that much. I think...mine cost about $200

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alright, to be as accurate as possible...

I have 1079 songs on my iPod Mini which take up 3.64 GB. My most listened to playlists are my Pokemon playlist (60 songs, mostly just faves with some random ones shoved in there) and my "Mixed Faves" playlist, which is 98 of my all-time favourite songs (that I actually have on my harddrive :p) from whatever style of music: VGM, Japanese, English, etc.

I guess I have less free space than I thought... Ah well. A lot of it is because of my "Fave VGM" playlist which isn't exactly faves at all. It's just all of my favourite video game OSTs shoved into one playlist (870 songs taking up 2.43 GB), and if I ever ran out of space I could cut about 2/3 of the songs out.

I've wanted an iPod since... I don't remember when they came out. But then I was offered one and I said no. Don't know why. And then I used someones and it was great.... And ever since I've asked for one at Christmas and birthday and mum conveniently 'forgets'. How much do they cost now anyway? And do they actually still do minis?

I'm not sure if any of you will have heard of an artist called "MC Lars" who makes a very strange style of music that he calls "Post Punk Laptop Rap" hes not your average sort of rapper however, quite the opposite to be honest. He has a song called "iGeneration" which is not entirely about the idea of everyone owning an iPod but more along the lines of what has helped to shape the current generation (Internet, Iraq war, etc) I reccomend listening to it on his myspace page purely because I can't really describe it http://www.myspace.com/mclars (also while you're there, download the song "Download this song") .
But yeah, back on topic...

I own a Creative Zen Touch, its 40 gig, and I listen to it a hell of a lot, mostly through speakers which I have strategically left in the rooms i most use in the house... I have about 2500 songs on it currently and normally put about 20-30 new songs every week or so...
When I pass my driving test I plan to get a cable to run it through my car speakers, although most people that know me think ill spend more time changing song than concentrating on the road :p.

edit: Once again wikipedia prevails...

MC Lars is a member of what he dubs the "iGeneration," a group born and raised in the time of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, cassette tapes and new wave music, who now live in the age of Desperate Housewives, Sidekicks and screamo bands. These are the kids who have grown up using the Internet as a part of their every day life. They can conveniently carry 5,000 songs in their pocket, but are faced with the glooming possibility that the world's oil supply and Social Security will both run out in their lifetime.

I just got a white 30 gig video Ipod like a month ago. It costed 300$ yeah it was alot but it is awesome because I can watch pokemon on my ipod. Well at least it did'nt cost as much as they used to. I have about 117 songs and 32 videos.