• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Overleveling Starters

In Pokemon games before the sixth generation, I had a huge problem. My starter pokemon would be like at level 20 while the rest of my team like level 12. Also this was the worst in Pokemon Black and White because of the garbage wild pokemon you could catch at the start of the game. I just wanna play the game without grinding.

If that's how you want to play, then go ahead. You can do it with minimal grinding. Just raise only 1 or 2 Pokemon. But battling and grinding a bit is the core of most RPGs. Sometimes that's just how it is. Have you tried getting through gen 2 with a full team of 6 Pokes? Take the grass starter on top of it. Now that's a challenge.

As far as I'm concerned, gen 6 made it way too easy with the new Exp. Share mechanics. Newer players are spoiled with gen 6 IMO.

I also had this problem frequently. Some starters take pretty much no EXP to level up, while other pokemon at half the level, could take twice the amount of EXP. (Bit of an exaggeration).When I was going through gen 4 and picked up a Gible, it would always seem to be under-leveled compared to my starter. It really comes down to Level up speed, as well on who you use most frequently.

When I was going through gen 4 and picked up a Gible, it would always seem to be under-leveled compared to my starter.

Given that Gible has the slowest experience growth whereas starters have the medium slow growth, its not surprising that you'd find it would be under leveled unless you specifically grinded it a lot.

But realisitically, if you don't grind you're going to find it hard to keep all of your Pokemon at even levels. The games seem to be set up so that your Pokemon will end up higher levelled than the wild Pokemon. So if you catch wild Pokemon and don't grind them up to the level of the rest of your party, they're mostly likely going to stay behind. I suggest if you want to get through the game without grinding, you do what was suggested earlier in this thread and stick to one or two main Pokemon. If you don't like the early game Pokemon, then see if you can transfer yourself the Pokemon you want from another game.

Personally the one I find I'm using for the first gym is the overleveled one, as it gets all that XP. I really avoid overleveling due to an event in White when I reached Ghetsis with level 80 Emboar and level 20-30 everything else, to this day I don't know how I managed to do that but it's stopped my from overusing my starter since.

Although yes, my starter does tend to be a few levels ahead of the rest of my team, mostly be it was gotten first and the XP share mechanics are extremely broken

I usually like to keep my team at the same level. My starter will usually be a level or two higher, but I wouldn't make it 5-10 levels above the rest of the party.