• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Opinions on Mega Evolutions?

Gamefreak made an interesting move when introducing Mega evolutions for generation 6, but a few things trouble me about them. I don't like their designs (Mega Ampharos being an exception). Most of them seem like overly detailed copies of the original Pokemon with spikes sticking out everywhere. Will there no longer be any normal evolutions for Pokémon from past generations? Why are most of the Pokémon with mega evolutions Pokémon that already have enough popularity and/or strength (Mawile and Banette being exceptions for this one)? Both Mega Mewtwo X and Y are the strongest Pokémon in the game. 780 BST? Seriously?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
And here we go again. Okay, let's do this one point at a time:

I don't like their designs (Mega Ampharos being an exception). Most of them seem like overly detailed copies of the original Pokemon with spikes sticking out everywhere.
The thing is, some of the designs are a bit silly (Mega NicCagechomp springs to mind!), but the whole point of Mega Evolutions are that they're an iteration on a Pokémon's final form - they're Super Saiyan Pokémon, not entirely new creatures. So yes, it's often shown by adding details to a Pokémon - like spikes, or DAT HAIR, or Mega Absol's "wings". Completely changing the creature in question is not for Mega Evolution, it's a regular evolution.

Which brings me neatly onto your next point:

Will there no longer be any normal evolutions for Pokémon from past generations?
Yes. There will be. Please repeat this mantra a few times and learn it: "Mega Evolutions are not normal evolutions and will not replace anything." Game Freak decided to add new lines of creatures in Gen V and VI rather than augmenting the old ones with new evolutionary branches - in Gen V it was so they could build an entirely new Pokédex in Unova, and in Gen VI it was so they could focus on the new creatures and Mega Evolutions. If they want to add evolutions in the future, they will. They're not going to suddenly say NOPE, NO MORE IDEAS, WE'RE NOT DOING IT.

If you've ever read any interviews with anyone from Game Freak, the mantra is always "Ideas, lots of ideas, we like ideas, we just won't use them all in one game." There will be lots of evolution ideas lying around, and always will be as their designers think of them - just because they didn't use them in this game doesn't mean they're not going to in future.

Incidentally, this kind of jumping to conclusions is a real sore spot for me - One example of someone not doing something never instantly means that they've mandated that it won't happen again. The concept of Nintendo or Game Freak or TPCi or whoever suddenly deciding not to do something like adding new evolutions to prior lines, or ny similar ideas, is petulant and purely a knee-jerk reaction.

Why are most of the Pokémon with mega evolutions Pokémon that already have enough popularity and/or strength (Mawile and Banette being exceptions for this one)?
Popularity. Game Freak made Mega Lucario and the Mega Charizards and the Mega Mewtwos simply because they're fan favourites and they were bound to be popular - or at least, if they didn't exist Game Freak would be hounded by the fans to add them. But frankly I think out of all of the Megas, only a handful are insanely popular already. Let's face it, no-one was clamouring for Mega Abomasnow, or Mega Pinsir, or similar. A good proportion of the Mega Evolutions were to upgrade certain old (and, let's face it, not completely popular) Pokémon to be viable again - Mawile, Absol, Ampharos, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Heracross, etcetera. Some of them were Megaed not to lose their viability with the power creep Megas brought - Garchomp, Tyranitar, Aggron, Scizor, etcetera. And some of them are because DISREGARD THE CONSTABULARY, like Mega Gyarados.

So the rationale for giving Pokémon mega evolutions is not exclusively because they're already popular or strong. After all, Volcarona didn't get a Mega Evolution and it is the destroyer of worlds.

It's still the destroyer of worlds.

Both Mega Mewtwo X and Y are the strongest Pokémon in the game. 780 BST? Seriously?
Yeah, seriously. They're still not broken, though, because base stats are only a tiny piece of the puzzle. And you know full well that if the Holy Goat, Master of 'Ere He Trotted got a Mega Evolution, it'd have 820 BST or something. Mega Mewtwo have the highest base stat totals because they're the only (currently revealed) Mega legendary Pokémon - they already had 680 BST before they Mega Evolved, after all.

Last edited:
I am relieved that they will be continuing normal evolutions in the future. Sorry, I guess I ranted a bit to much there :/. Honestly, I don't mind the ridiculous power boosts on already good Pokemon. Mega evolutions are only temporary anyway. I guess I just don't like the designs because I feel mega evolutions aren't doing what I feel they should be. Take Mega Ampharos. I like it because the design doesn't change into a new creature entirely, but it makes me feel like this is how a Pokemon SHOULD look when they've reached their maximum potential. The others just shoot out at me too much. The design changes don't seem to have any purpose and they all seem like overly detailed messes. If it's good for business, though, then there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Incidentally, regarding normal evolutions and how there aren't any in Gen 6:
20115_700-0.png

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I don't think Eeveelutions count...

michael-cole.jpg

1. Most of Gen IV's new evolutions did little more than allow their pre-evolved forms to use Eviolite to outstrip them assuming they made any difference at all, which the vast majority didn't. Only Roserade, Mamoswine and Togekiss made any significant and lasting impact out of the new evolutions, so adding more of them given this result is pointless.

2. Mega Evolutions lose out on their hold item which is what prevents them from being completely overpowered for the most part and the insane power boost is kind-of the point given what they lose out on in return. Granted a small number turned out horribly broken but the Dream World abilities did similar last generation as well.

Anything disagreeing with this is wrong.

/thread

Last edited:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Perhaps a better question is which Pokemon from previous generations do you think still need an evolution? Apart from the mighty Dunsparce, of course, I can think of very few.

I like the idea of Mega Evolution, but to me; its a double-edge sword.

Pro- It gives life to some Pokémon that I wouldn't use normally, like Blaziken. I hate Blaziken but I somewhat enjoy Mega Blaziken. (A lot of third Gen Pokémon that got a Mega needed it in my eyes)

Con- It ends any chance of a new evolution for some Pokémon that could gain another stage; like Houndoom.

I think Mega Evolutions don't go far enough-- I want to see them go Full Digimon and make enormously mindblowing final forms. :) It will also be interesting how they handle mega evolutions appearing in ORAS since the impression from XY is that the stones (or at least the method of finding them) are Kalos-only. Something for Steven Stone to do with some kind of dragonball radar, perhaps.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
Mega evolution is a great idea. Pokemon that I already use have another form, so sometimes it sucks that it's only one per battle.
I guess with the recent megas Pokemon wants users to use not just the usual flygon, but have a slowbro instead.

i love mega evolutions and most of them were great, except mega gyrados. hes a shrimp, A FUCKING
shrimp_1339773902.jpg

however i think there needs to be alot more pokemon to get mega evolutions. they are doing that in OR/AS but they are completely ruining the designs and ill be honest, the only ones i liked were mega diancies and altarias. salamence looks extremely ridiculous and just…good god…it sucks more than dicks. and mega slowbros is horrible in design but i think it deserved a mega more than audino. im betting if they redesigned it, it would be a shellder with bloody teeth. i think gamefreak is becoming bad at designs for them and not taking great concepts people want

I like them, I just don't use them much. Most of them have pretty cool designs, except for M Mewtwo X, M Heracross, M Pinsir, M Slowbro and M Sableye.

Mega Evolutions certainly are an interesting concept, but it's far from perfection.
Some older gen monsters that got megas now would have deserved regular evolutions and some megas are simply waaaay too cheesy/ pandering for my taste (Charizard, urgh).

I hope that GameFreaks/ Nintendo will keep on working on the concept and especially use this feature to give underpowered older monsters a new way to shine (as they did with Beedrill and Pidgeot). I also hope that cases like Mega Rayquaza will stay the exceptions, since taking the item slot for mega evolutions is rather important to keep things in balance imo.

The visual designs are hit or miss, some are really good while others just look lame.

It would also be cool if there would be a lot more megas added, since obviously everyone will want a mega Pokémon in their team and the choice isn't exactly overly comprehensive so far. At least all the starters deserve a mega form.