• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Operating Systems and Web Browsers

What operating system do you use and why? Same with your web browser? I combined these topics because I didn't see much of a difference to make a new topic.

I dual boot, so I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. I have Windows 7 for my gaming and streaming needs. I stream to my Touch the videos on my computer, so I basically have a Touch with limitless hard drive space.

I use Ubuntu as my main OS and it is a distribution of Linux. I like free open source software and I want my OS to be the same. I had Arch Linux for a while, but some things weren't working as well and the inner geek in me didn't feel like messing with it. I went back to Ubuntu.

On the ChromeBook from Google, I have Chrome OS installed. It's virtually just the Chrome web browser as the operating system. Not much more to explain. Right now you can't get Chrome OS computers commercially, but I was lucky and was shipped one from Google.

I use Google Chrome as my web browser. It's fast and it syncs all of my settings with my Google account, so all of my bookmarks are on all of my OSs. I have Firefox 4 beta as a back up, but I don't like it as much as Chrome. I do like where they're going with Firefox though.

So how about you guys? What OS and browser do you use?

I use Windows XP and Google Chrome. :>

I've used Internet Explorer for most of my computerised life, but because it kept jamming my little netbook, I got Google Chrome. c: It runs much smoother and quicker so I'm definitely happy with it~ ♥

As for Windows XP, well ... it isn't quite Windows 7 but who am I to complain? xD It works fine, I haven't encountered any problemos with it yet. :> It works for meeeee~ I don't really mind which operating system I use, just as long as it works fine (enough). ^^

Windows Vista and Google Chrome for me.

I only use Vista because it came with my laptop, but I considered downgrading to XP because people kept complaining about Vista. However after using it for a while, I got used to it and it hasn't given me any problems so far. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 because it's gorgeous but then I'd lose compatibility with our home printer <<

I fully admit that it was GPX that convinced me to switch from using Firefox to Chrome as my primary browser because it moved so much faster. Firefox is still good, and still better than Internet Explorer so I use it as my secondary browser when Chrome decides to cop out.

Depends on where I am.

The computer here at home is amazing. It runs Windows 7, and my browser is Chrome. Everything is streamlined and pretty and it makes me happy ♥~

The computer at the dorm? Depends. I have a laptop and a netbook over there. The laptop runs Vista (D:) and the netbook runs XP. No matter which I'm on, I tend to use Chrome if possible. The netbook sometimes gives me problems, so I'll use Firefox if it does.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
PC: Runs Vista and Firefox as default, but has IE8, Opera, Chrome and Safari installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.4 which also uses Firefox.

Laptop: Runs Vista and Firefox as default, also has Chrome installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.10 which uses Firefox exclusively.

Netbook: Runs Windows 7 Starter (ick) and Chrome as the default browser. Also has Firefox installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix - which is yummy - and runs Firefox because Chromium on Linux actually rather sucks. The netbook defaults to Ubuntu when booting, but I have to use Windows for Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Spotify, so when I'm doing any work on this at all, I generally need to boot into Windows.

Phone: Nexus One running Android 2.2.1 and uses the default (Chrome based) web browser 'cos the fancier ones actually lack some of the features I prefer in the default.

If I could exist without Windows at all, I more than happily would, as Ubuntu is just so much more fun to use and set up - but unfortunately, it's impossible to get away from the fact that bugger all runs on it.

DoctorOak said:
PC: Runs Vista and Firefox as default, but has IE8, Opera, Chrome and Safari installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.4 which also uses Firefox.

Laptop: Runs Vista and Firefox as default, also has Chrome installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.10 which uses Firefox exclusively.

Netbook: Runs Windows 7 Starter (ick) and Chrome as the default browser. Also has Firefox installed. Dual boots with Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix - which is yummy - and runs Firefox because Chromium on Linux actually rather sucks. The netbook defaults to Ubuntu when booting, but I have to use Windows for Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Spotify, so when I'm doing any work on this at all, I generally need to boot into Windows.

Phone: Nexus One running Android 2.2.1 and uses the default (Chrome based) web browser 'cos the fancier ones actually lack some of the features I prefer in the default.

If I could exist without Windows at all, I more than happily would, as Ubuntu is just so much more fun to use and set up - but unfortunately, it's impossible to get away from the fact that bugger all runs on it.

Chrome on Ubuntu (Google Chrome from their website, not Chromium) is rather good. It runs just as fast as on Windows, if not faster. I'm also curious as to why you run Firefox default on Vista, but not on Windows 7? I understand, you being a web developer, having all of them on your PC though.

I forgot to mention phones because I'm not as wise as thee, Alex. I have a Samsung Rogue and whatever piece of crap OS that runs on it. I can't wait to get an Android, but that will have to wait until after college.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I run Chrome on my Netbook because it's more lightweight than Firefox. Firefox on Windows 7 with just the power of the Netbook would be rather soul crushing.

Runs perfectly fine on the Ubuntu side, of course, but that's to be expected.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Seems that Firefox isn't the top browser of choice anymore, eh? Unless forced to use IE, I generally use Firefox as my main web browser on both my laptop and my desktop PC. My iPod uses Safari because that's what it defaults with.

My new PC came with Windows 7 Home Premium, and my laptop (now three years old) came with Vista. I'm not one to upgrade my operating systems manually and can't really be bothered with dual boot stuffs, so I generally just adapt to what I'm given with the computers. For the record, the PCs I use at work run on XP, but they're expected to mass upgrade to Windows 7 at some point in the future.

I too forgot about phones XD

My HTC Hero runs Android 2.1 because I'm too lazy to root it and get 2.2--besides I'm getting the HTC Evo (♥) hopefully in the next few weeks so I don't really see the point now. I run Dolphin Browser on it because the stupid default browser covered up my notification bar, plus it doesn't have nearly as many features and the UI isn't as clean as Dolphin.

I use both Firefox and Internet Explorer about equally. Some sites seem to run better in one than the other, so that's what I use them for. The operating system I currently have is Windows 7, but I'm not fond of it. I'm too used to XP, which is my favorite.

I now use my vaio with windows 7 and Chrome. Chrome just worked so much better when I tried it out for a while on my laptop, so I decided to stick with it. The laptop has been a dream so far, especially compared to the Vista Pc that I used pre-laptop. I'd still use Firefox if I had too, but now Chrome feels like home ^^

Well, my laptop that had Vista finally kicked the bucket, so now I'm using my mom's laptop for school. It uses Windows 7 and it makes me happy ♥ I probably won't have it for long- my mom seems fine with giving it up, but my dad's rather pissed XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
On my desktop, I dual-boot Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7. On my laptop, I use Ubuntu 10.10 :D I use Chrome on all of my computers because it's fast and slick and I like it.

And on my HTC Hero I run Android 2.2.1 with the default browser.

I guess I can post again since I got a new phone ♥ Finally got the HTC Evo and I'm running Android 2.2 and I also upgraded to Dolphin HD which is an even cooler version of the regular Dolphin browser. It's certain better than the default browser because it STILL blocks my notification bar >>

My computer at home has Windows 7 as my Os and my browser is Google Chrome, but it has IE8 on it

My laptop uses Windows Vista has its Os and the browser is the same as my desktop

I got a new phone today. Tis a Motorola Droid X. It's running Android 2.2 Froyo and it's using the Dolphin HD Browser. I might root this phone, but I'm not sure. I haven't had it that long, and it's not nearly as locked down as my iPod Touch is without jailbreaking...

Laptop: Firefox default, Debian GNU/Linux dual boot with Windows XP Professional

Netbook: Firefox default, Windows XP Professional

Desktop: Firefox default, Windows XP Professional

Cozy little setup, I am most familiar with Windows XP and enjoy using it far over Vista and 7 and have no intention of upgrading just yet.

In addition I use a wide array of web browsers being a web developer myself, and most of them are portable that I stick on a 6GB Thumb that has a few other portable applications (like ConTEXT, Firefox / FireFTP, etc). Pretty much a portable web development package. Oh, and I can hook into my music through my server so I can listen to tunes anywhere without the need of bloating up my mp3 player (using portable Winamp with server link)

A

Anonymous

On my laptop I have windows 7 and i use either Google Chrome or Firefox so I got a backup in case one starts bugging out.

PC: On my PC, which is my main computer, I'm using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer... Been hearing a lot about how Awesome Google Chrome is, and I've used it myself once(Very Nice). Lately, Internet Explorer has been proving problematic for all my random internet needs, and I'm the type of person who likes to fiddle around with operating systems and applications, So I'm seriously considering switching to either Firefox or Chrome... I've compared Windows 7 to Linux and Mac OS.... Windows 7 definately made me happiest, but I've always been at home with windows... So I'm kinda biased.

Laptop: Well, it's my mom's laptop, but I know quite a bit about it. It runs Windows 7 and Internet explorer.... Her laptop is very nice, and can handle running internet explorer and Windows 7, so long as she clears her cache. (She forgets to do this, so I usually end up doing it for her on a monthly basis.)

Notebook: Also my mother's... Runs a FAKE copy of Windows 7 (I have no idea why, considering it came with Windows 7 from the manufacturer) and runs Internet Explorer.... I'll be frank, it's the slowest piece of shit to ever wirelessly connect to a modem... Chalk full of viruses, that I have to clean out monthly(which takes hours), and it has more information on it than its 2.5-gigabyte memory can handle... I keep suggesting a downgrade to Windows Vista, XP, or even 1999 to my mother, and maybe a switch in browsers, but she's too stubborn to take my advice on it... That poor, poor notebook is going to meet its end soon.... What a shame... :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
For everyone that has Vista/7, Internet Explorer 9 is out on Microsoft's website. If you use IE, it's a good upgrade and it makes IE somewhat decent now. :p

I changed my main browser to Firefox 4 today because it was released and after using the betas and RC, I really like it. I use Firefox Mobile as my web browser on my Android too.

My operating system has changed too. I'm triple booting openSUSE 11.4, Crunchbang 10, and Windows 7 now.

I've been on Firefox 4 for a while now, it's a lot more clean than Firefox 3.5 and previous versions for sure.

IE9 is garbage, more-so because they failed with giving it proper adaptions for older systems when their requirements are simply hardware related and don't really have to do with the operating system. They're just trying to make money and have the loads of people that ignored 7 and Vista.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
IE9 is just as useless, broken, bloated and slow as every other iteration of it. Its one and only blessing is that it's finally got something that at least resembles standards compliance.

I suppose I should upgrade my Firefox, but I'm honestly not too bothered today unless there's a significant performance improvement. Firefox 3 and 3.5 seemed to promise a lot more than FF 4 has at all. Compared to the movement towards Chrome, Firefox is looking increasingly stale, and I doubt that FF 4 would be enough to change that.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
A lot of the features are just catching up to Chrome. And for some reason moving the home button to an inexplicably stupid place.

Performance improvements and WebGL stuff is cool though.

Nick Fury said:
IE9 is just as useless, broken, bloated and slow as every other iteration of it. Its one and only blessing is that it's finally got something that at least resembles standards compliance.

I somewhat agree. I hate IE with a vengeance, but a lot of people still use it. The upgrade made it a lot faster than 8, but it's still slow compared to its competition (hence the "somewhat"). It's also better security-wise to update IE even if you don't use it because of how many security vulnerabilities exist with it.

Moosechu said:
Firefox 4 completely tears apart Chrome with a vengeance.

Refer to: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/

And compare it to the latest version of Chrome

Oh my gosh! They actually used Linux to show off some features. All their videos and screenshots have been Windows 7. The one thing I hate about it on Linux is the menu button. I still use the menu bar because it looks weird. It isn't something they can control that well because of how customizable Linux is, however.

Nick Fury said:
A lot of the features are just catching up to Chrome. And for some reason moving the home button to an inexplicably stupid place.

Good thing is, compared to Chrome, it's easy to move elements of the UI. Just right clicking a toolbar and customize allows you to change where it's located. I don't get why they still have a separate search box, however...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The separate search box is handy to focusing where you want to search, especially if you've already set yours up with a lot of specific websites. Chrome's keywords equivalent relies too much on memory for the right keyword, which is why I rarely use it in Chrome or in the rudimentary setup Firefox has had for it for years.

I've just upgraded now and can't say I've noticed any massive change in performance yet, but the real test will be the next time I start up. One thing I'm annoyed about right this very moment that will eventually go away is that they switched the new window and new tab options in the right click menu - again, copying Chrome. This is actually a good change, as it's been bugging me for ages swapping between the two, but now I've got that very same effect of accidentally opening new windows when I want a new tab because of Firefox itself.

So yeah, so far so good, but like I said, it's still just playing catch up after Mozilla were caught with their trousers down. It's about time, but it's nothing to be excited about yet.