• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Oh my gosh I actually have a team?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Well, half of one anyway.

So for this Manchester tournament, I've decided to actually make a team as opposed to just training whatever I fancied training. To this end, I want a versatile team that can cover most other pokemon, if you get what I mean. So far, I have:

Slowbro@Zoom Lens
Bold
Own Tempo
252 Sp. Attack EVs
228 Sp. Defense EVs
24 Def. EVs

Surf
Psychic
Fire Blast
Slack Off

Special attacker, with godly defenses. Surf and Psychic for STAB, obviously. Fire Blast covers two of its weakness (grass and bug). Alternatively, I could have:

Surf/Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Slack Off

These moves purely because the first version gets walled by Starmie. This doesn't get walled by anything as far as I can see.

Forretress@Occa Berry
Impish
Sturdy
252 Def EVs
252 Sp. Def EVs

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Explosion

Typical set up. Sets Stealth Rock and Spikes, then explodes. Rapid Spin to stop opponent Stealth Rock/Spikes. Occa Berry so that it's note quite as damaged by fire moves, which will royally screw it over.

Shuckle@Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature to be decided, probably Impish again
Sturdy

252 Def
252 Sp. Def

Stealth Rock/Mud Slap/Flash/Attract
Toxic
Wrap
Rest

As you can clearly see, I'm a bit undecided on the first move. Stealth Rock for where Forretress can't, or Mud Slap/Flash for lowering accuracy, or Attract to annoy the opponent. Toxic, Wrap and Rest as standard.

Those are the three I have decided for certain, but I need another three. So far, I've been considering Electivire, Magmortar, Sceptile, Dusknoir and Frosslass. Any input would be welcome.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Your shuckle needs Encore, lest it be royally screwed by anything with subs.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Careful/Impish Nature
-Toxic
-Flash / Stealth Rock
-Rest
-Encore

HP and mostly into the unboosted defense for training

Encore anything you can't poison automatically, then switch to something who can take the hit. While Shuckle can almost never be OHKO'd, it needs all the moveslots it can get, so I'd recommend against Stealth Rock.
Knockoff is also an option: use Shuckle just to stop held items from working on opponents
I'd suggest against wrap because of how long it can drag a battle out, and how pissed off your opponent may get.

And another set I saw a while back when training my Shuckle.
Courtesy of smogon:

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Impish / Careful
-Acupressure
-Rest
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide
-Earthquake

HP and ATK training

Shuckle can attain an attack of 400 [just over an unboosted Garchomp's max attack] with an attack IV of 1.. of course a higher attack IV would be much preferred.
There are three downsides to this strategy, one is that I want the move acupressure banned for the tourney, for being able to sharply increase evasion
One is that it takes so long to set up, and the other related to the previous, if you're critical'd, it breaks thorugh whatever defense boost you have.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Next two pokemon decided:

Togekiss@Leftovers maybe?
Sassy
Serene Grace
252 in both Defenses

Yawn
Nasty Plot
Ancient Power
Baton Pass

Primary purpose is to raise Special Attack and pass it on to another pokemon. To the end, it's being trained in both Defenses and using Yawn so that it can survive as long as possible. Even if someone swaps in something better, it should hopefully be able to get at least one Nasty Plot before swapping.

Froslass@No idea. That item that increases special attack? I forget its name
Timid
Snow Cloak

252 Speed EVs
252 Sp. Attack EVs

Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunder Bolt

Special attacker with extra speed. The primary point of Togekiss is to pass on Special Attack to Froslass (Or Slowbro depending). As wide a moveset as possible with fairly strong attacks. The extra speed should help it outspeed most pokemon and the move variety means it should be able to hit just about anything.

An option over Psychic is Signal Beam. Signal Beam hits Dark-types. I'd also be interested in the Hidden Power. Fighting would be quite advantageous, as would Ground and Grass.

Wise Glasses is the item.

And Destiny Bond works, since Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball hit a majority of all Pokémon for neutral damage (Magneton, I'm looking at you).

As for Togekiss, Thunder Wave might work over Yawn, though Yawn is nifty for forcing switches so Togekiss can use Nasty Plot on the turn they switch.

Looks solid El.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Physical Attacker, finally:

Gallade@Life Orb/that item that increases damage of physical moves
Jolly
Steadfast
252 Attack EVs
252 Speed EVs

Night Slash
Leaf Blade
Psycho Cut
Close Combat

Basically, it goes in and does as much damage as possible. Since my team was lacking physical attackers, here one is.

Altogether, my team's attack moves so far are the following types:

Water
Psychic (x3 >.>)
Fire
Normal
Rock
Ice
Ghost
Electric
Grass
Dark
Fighting

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
New pokeyman:

Weavile@To be honest, no clue.
Adamant
Pressure

252 Attack EVs
252 Speed EVs

Pursuit
Crush Claw
Shadow Claw
Ice Shard

Physical attacker again, and an anti-Starmie/Gengar pokemon which are both fairly common. People who swap said pokemon out get subjected to a double-damage Pursuit.

Main weakness concerns at the moment are Fire and Rock, iirc. Any thoughts on a sixth pokemon? I'm considering a Heatproof BronZOMG or a Bastiodon for defensive reasons.

I have an Idea for Bastiodon:

Bastiodon@Leftovers/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry/Shell Bell
Rest
Substitute
Toxic/Stealth Rock/Filler
Stealth Rock/Toxic/Curse

I just threw together what seemed best at the time...
In my head it seems to be a good idea...

Personally, I'd want to put a Focus Sash on Weavile, as it dies to nearly everything, so getting an extra hit in is nice. You can also probably replace Crush Claw with something nicer, as Normal gets no coverage. I'd suggest Revenge if you put on the Focus Sash, as if you're faster, you can smack 'em really hard. As for Gallade, you may want to remove a move and put in Hypnosis or Thunder Wave or something, considering it has all those status options >> Of course, it is supposed to be physical, so do what you want there. And the item you're thinking of is called the Muscle Band, I believe.

I thought Hypnosis was gardevoir only, or can it be bred onto a ralts?

Sucker Punch and Night Slash are also an option for Weavile (I think) instead of pursuit, as most of the time, people don't switch out, besides Baton Pass. =\

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Weavile's more-or-less standard set is as follows:

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly
Pressure
252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Pursuit
- Ice Punch/Ice Shard
- Brick Break
- Night Slash

This set is designed purely for revenge killing - jump in against a damaged opponent and finish them off with one quick strike. Pursuit is actually the move of choice here that makes this so nasty, since it still deals pretty impressive damage even if the opponent doesn't switch, and against a wounded opponent who is weak to Dark, this move is essentially a checkmate - they have no possible way of surviving it without Protect. Ice Punch is stronger than Ice Shard, but Ice Shard is a priority move that stings a fair bit with the Band on - Shard is probably better against things such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Aerodactyl since they can outspeed you, whilst Ice Punch is more reliable at taking out slower threats such as Flygon and Zapdos. Brick Break is for any Steel-types, preventing you from being walled by them, and Night Slash is your standard STAB Dark-type move. Unfortunately, Weavile doesn't seem able to learn Sucker Punch at all, although with its evil Base 125 Speed and Jolly Nature, you don't really need to overload on priority attacks.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I have an Idea for Bastiodon:

Bastiodon@Leftovers/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry/Shell Bell
Rest
Substitute
Toxic/Stealth Rock/Filler
Stealth Rock/Toxic/Curse

I just threw together what seemed best at the time...
In my head it seems to be a good idea...

I'm curious, why put Curse on a pokemon with no attacking moves?

As for Weavile, I'm probably gonna go for Pursuit/Ice Shard/Night Slash/Brick Break. Any thoughts for the sixth pokemon? Currently, still looking at Bastiodon and BronZOMG. I was something with high defenses and potential attacking power, hence those two.

Here's my Bastiodon, works for me at least:

Bastiodon@Leftovers (Could do Smooth Rock I suppose)
Impish
252 Def/Sp Def
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Toxic
Sandstorm

El: for the defense half of it. I'd say iron defense, but that's platinum move tutor, so I went with the next best option.
'doh. >>

I didn't know bastiodon got iron defense by level up. just substitute iron defense wherever it says curse then XD