• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official SSB Brawl Thread

Great! Another Kirby like character for me to beat up. Sonic will crush them all though.

I did see another Kirby character coming though. Since Meta Knight was added, King DeeDee was probably a must too.

On another note, at the E for All event in the states, all the characters Final Smashes were useable. On a movie, I saw Ike use his up special and followed by like a huge wave of fire.

When I saw King triple-D, another three word acronym came to mind: WTF?

Admittedly, I haven't played through (or even played) as many Kirby games as I would've liked (the only one I beat - or even own - is Kirby's Pinball Land), so I suppose I don't see the charm behind this character as well as anyone else. I have no idea what abilities he even has, so he just strikes me a Kirby-themed DK clone.

If you haven't checked GM, he isn't a DK clone. Thank goodness. Though I have to say I hope I don't have to use his Special Up move. Looks like a super Kirby Up+B moves from the other Smash Bros. games (and probably this one too...) where he falls back to earth, or the bottomless pit of woe. His Special Over move is going to be fun to dork around with, that's probably what I'm going to use all the time with him if I ever do play with him.​

Since we lost quite a bit of info in this thread, read the actuall site to catch up.

And Lucas has a half-decent smash. An attack like lava spitting out of a volcano where no one can escape...how sweet is that.
Maybe I might start using the twerp after all.

Your opinons on the cast so far?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Lucas's Final Smash actually isn't too bad, as long as Lucas himself can survive in his own starstorm.

And where do these people come up with these things? Final Smashes, the Pictochat stage, even non-Nintendo characters appear now! Seriously, why did they put Sonic in? (Though there were rumors about Sonic being a secret character at my old After School in Melee for some reason)

But the cast isn't too bad. Now, if only they could add some Power Puff Girls... kidding. But that would be interesting if they were in the brawl... but I still wonder about Sonic.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
WarpStar201.png

Well, though I don't like the thought of Lucas replacing Ness, I must admit his Final Smash looks pretty freakin' sweet.

Anyway, now that we have that one name I can't pronounce as a plaible character in Brawl, I might have to download "Punishment & Sins" (or whatever it's called) from vitual consel and check it out.

...after Yoshi's Story. Yoshi's Story first.

To me, King Dedede is a fun kick in the pants- I'm rather thrilled about it and wonder how he'll play out! But the first character I'm going to try out by a long shot is, AND TO BE SPECIFIC, Squirtle!

Oh, what else, what else... ah. The BGM for the Halberd music is pretty fun, though I was expecting something... well, darker. Not jazzy. Still like it either way though. [/OLDNEWS]

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Your opinons on the cast so far?

It's awesome so far, and I hope it keeps expanding another 10 characters or so before the game is finally released =)

I'm personally looking forward to playing Sonic and Pokemon Trainer the most, but I'll definitely be giving all of the new characters a shot at least once. I assume that my most played characters won't change too much, though. While I love the concept of Sonic being in Brawl, how he actually plays will determine whether or not I keep using him seriously.

Edit: I'm also dying to try out Metaknight, too. Pit as well, but not quite as much.

I prefer Ness than Lucas. The cap on Ness looks way better than the blond hair of Lucas. But, I must admit, the Final Smash for Lucas looks awesome.

I might play Link or Zelda for my first try at this game. In Melee, those were the main characters that I used. But I might want to try something different this time. Maybe Fox or Pit, for once? Sonic is also a choice...oh, I don't know!
It's awesome so far, and I hope it keeps expanding another 10 characters or so before the game is finally released =)
I so totally agree. How many were there in Melee again? Let's see now... 26. And in the original, there were only 12. I expect a few more. There are only 23 playable characters right now; that's 3 less than Melee! We need at least 10 more for my liking!

Well, It will be a really awseome game already. It has WiFi. Finally you can battle online, and show of your skills against others! I think it's too bad that Ness is out, he was (with DK and Roy) my favorite character in SSBM. I hope Lucas won't be very different from Ness.

Also, who do you guys think that they should addas new characters?

Well, as far as new characters are concerned... my ideal character list overall looks like this:

-Mario Series-
Mario (with a Dr. Mario costume)
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Toad

-Legend of Zelda Series-
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Young Link (Wind Waker moveset)

-Kirby Series-
Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede
Marx

-Pokemon Series-
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario

-Star Fox Series-
Fox (with a Falco costume)
Krystal
Wolf

-Metroid Series-
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

-Donkey Kong Series-
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K. Rool

-Yoshi Series-
Yoshi

-Wario Series-
Wario
Jimmy T.

-Fire Emblem Series-
Ike (with a Roy costume)
Marth
Hector

-Mother Series-
Lucas
Ness (with a reworked moveset, and with a Ninten costume)
Loid (with a Jeff costume)

-Golden Sun Series-
Isaac (with a Felix costume)

-Pikmin Series-
Captain Olimar

-F-Zero Series-
Captain Falcon
Deathborn
Digi-Boy (I can dream :()

-Retro Series-
Pit
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch

-Third Party Series-
Snake
Sonic
Phoenix Wright

A whopping total of 46 characters, or 50 even if you count transformations.

...Phoenix Wright as a playible character? Oh God, THAT would be hillarious!

"PHOENIX WRIGHT'S FINAL SMASH- FRANSIKA VONKARMA!!!"

*Phoenix summons VonKarma and she whips the hell outta everyone else*

Phoenix Wright would be, if anything, an Assist Trophy. He would appear next to whoever summoned him, and when they're attacked he'd shout "OBJECTION!", graphic and all, and knock the aggressor right off the screen.

I think Mega Man would be the most likely candidate for being the next third-party Brawler, maybe followed by Simon Belmont as both third-party and retro-brawler. And I'll go way out on a limb and say I'd like to have Wolf Link in the game. I'd also like to see Gannondorf and/or Captain Falcon return. I fantasize about grabbing people and blowing them up.

Latest news: Wario's Final Smash transforms him into Wario-Man. I'd have to say, I wasn't expecting that. The first Brawl trailer suggested it'd be a nuclear fart attack. Now he does a mode-change. I'm not certain if I'm disappointed, but I've definitely got that "WTF" feeling. Guess they've done their job, then. Although, with that mask, I could swear he was supposed to be the Purple Wind.

Coincidentally, I knew a guy in a Sonic forum who had a "Purple Fog" gimmick.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique08.html

Apparently Nintendo is adding more unique Color Changes in Smash Bros Brawl.

Perhaps it's possible Ness will be a costume option for Lucas?

Daisy has always been in the games, as an alternate costume for Peach. I'd love to see characters from Melee as playable Charaters, but we might only get a glimpse of them as charcatrers with a different costume. About the thidr-party chatacters, only three were going to be in the game. Snake had a game for the NES. Sonic has the game for the Wii, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, so Mega Man is my choice of the last character.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Has anyone else seen Wario's Final Smash? He looks too weird for my liking, and it doesn't seem like anything special to me.... but that might be just me, though.

Has anyone else seen Wario's Final Smash? He looks too weird for my liking, and it doesn't seem like anything special to me.... but that might be just me, though.
I pretty much have the feeling it'sto weak, if you see some of the other Final Smashes. And on top of that, you "can't" use one attack (his motorcycle) because you'd be to fast for it. I wasn't planning on using Wario when I first saw he was in, but now that I see that his Final Smash is pretty lame (at least to me) I won't use him unless it's needed.

All of you have yet to see how great his Final Smash is. He looks way cooler and his attacks all get boosted or changed. And he can fly now. You haven't seen the best of it though. He fart attack will now be even more powerfull. You'll all regret saying that.

*starts lagughing wildly*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Throws garlic at Plapti*

I like that all of the Final Smashes aren't just standard "big freakin' attacks of DOOM" - it adds more variety to them. Wario's will probably have the same sort of charm playing Wario in general would, and once you get used to it I'm sure you'd enjoy it. In the end, it's still a matter of character preference.

Anyways, I can't speak for everyone but I'm glad to see the Events revisited, and I'm hoping that they'll take 'em a step further and give us the option to share best scores (for difficulty level and speed) online. Although, if everything just went into a general ranking system I highly doubt I'd be breaking any records xp

*Proceeds to give garlic to Wario for his Smash, without the Smash Ball*

I'm with Linkachu and if we could share records, hoo boy. I'd be having competions with all my friends to see who's the best. Event Match was always fun too. And we've still got stamina mode. How I hated it but just maybe we can change the amount of HP we start with.

Well, since handicaps now affect your default damage percentage, it might be safe to say it can do the same in Stamina mode.

I was just reading the Holiday '07 issue of Nintendo Power today, and they had a preview article for Brawl. They said Sonic controlled great despite moving at super-speed. Smash Balls appear about three times in a two minute match, and it's possible to avoid being hit by a Final Smash. Assist trophies include Metroids and tanks from Advance Wars, and items are easier to catch in mid-air. They also found the Classic Controller and the Sideways Wii-mote to be a little awkward.

And now we have an exhibit of returning Pokemon today. We have Mew and Celebi doing what they do best, run.

Anyways, it looks like all previous legnedary Pokemon will be back with the same attacks. And I was hoping they'd get new attacks too. Looks like I'll be watching for another update to see Darkrai damage everyone with Dark Void.

I like Dedede's Final Smash. You just summon an army of Wadlle-Dee's (and other kirby enemies) and those just push/blast you of the stage!

It could have been so much better, though; I still say that his final smash should have been Dark Matter possession.

Though, perhaps this means that Dark Matter might be a Kirby boss for Subspace Emissary. Which is, in itself, kinda disappointing, since I wanted to see Marx. P:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, have you ever had an experience in which your opponent was disconnected, and the match never came to fruition? Like when you started with four players, but ended up with only one?

I don

Still, I think it's nice to know that your opponent can't run from having their butt handed to them as an attempt to save face. And if it was one of your friends, then you know who to throw rocks at.

I wonder if it's possible to set the difficulty level of the pinch-hitter. If your getting a royal beat-down, you could "tag out," if you will, to the computer, who is set to the highest difficulty, and let your opponent deal with having to suddenly up their game. More likely, you'd probably be able to only set the difficulty of the pinch-hitter you're fighting against, so you can fight a real challenge if the coward you got paired up with backs out.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Rotation mode's kinda neat. Up to sixteen players. Do they all need their own controllers?

Nah. That's what rotation mode's all about: allowing you to include up to 16 people when more than four players are involved. From my understanding, you'll just be rotating around the four controllers you currently have hooked up to the Wii, but it'll tell you when to give a certain controller up to another player and whatnot. Kinda like a tournament mode only more free-style play, which definitely will come in handy at larger gatherings/parties.

That said... I can't wait until they finally reveal another new character. All of these mode-related updates need something a bit more intriguing to break 'em up :p

I agree with Katie. After all the options they gave us to make Brawl more fun, that last third-party charater has to be coming soon. And tournament mode is back. Not like I ever played that mode. Maybe they'll make useable over the Wi-Fi.

But Pokemon related, how does Bonsly send a Person under 50% damage flying off the screen? That I may never find out.

*Raises hand to agree with Katie and thinks about how Megaman will fit in*

I like the Excitebike and Lakitu Assist Trophies. Nintendo used their NES sprites to give the gamers a reminder of whit they looked like before. ;)

*Looks around, then whips out a sign that says "STEWIE 4 GOVENOR!"

STEWIE 4 GOVENOR! ;D