• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Shiny Pokemon Thread

Super happy today, as this morning I caught my first random encounter shiny! It was a shiny floatzel, which appeared after 2348 encounters. Probably gonna go for a shiny spiritomb next on platinum, since I finally found out how to get one the other day.

In the mean time I'm soft-resetting for a shiny starter on soul silver (please be chikorita!!!). Good luck to any one else out there shiny hunting.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, after over 350 Porygon eggs bred and hatched (at a guess; there were many times I'd fill two boxes with Porygon and then not save), I finally got a shiny through the Masuda method! Only took me something like eighteen game hours...

Congrats on your Porygon, they're a really cool shiny!

I've caught 2 shinies since I last posted; a Bidoof in Eterna Forest (wanted anything but a Bidoof), and a Shinx (exactly what I wanted!).

I'm postponing the Spiritomb hunt, as I have to get further on my pearl before I can go underground to meet my platinum character. This is because I recently restarted my pearl so I could hunt in Eterna Forest without there being any Bidoofs. I'm currently at 1034 REs, so hopefully something will show up soon. I'm thinking of hunting there for a while as there are lots of cool pokemon there, including Budew, which I would like to reclaim, as I deleted the save data which had my shiny Budew on without realising it was so special.

I'm also hunting on platinum for (hopefully) a shiny Meditite, although I wouldn't mind a Chingling or a Bronzor. I'm also still SRing for a shiny starter on soul silver, but I've had no luck so far, haven't been counting how many I've done, but I'd guess at about 1000. Should get another in the space of this week if I'm lucky anyway.

Good luck to anyone else out there shiny hunting, (sorry for the long post...)

My one and only encounter was in pokemon Pearl, when I was told by Dawns sister there were wild Smoochum at lake acuity, I went to get one, and it was a shiny! AS soon as I entered battle, i was gonna press fight, but...uh..I think I coughed or something..And I hit RUN instead! RRGGHHHH!!! I never got one again..

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Holy shit, I was just picking up Defiant Braviary and, after three or four attempts, the one I managed to catch was a sodding shiny. Managed to nab it on the first Ultra Ball at full health, too!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Teapot said:
Holy shit, I was just picking up Defiant Braviary and, after three or four attempts, the one I managed to catch was a sodding shiny. Managed to nab it on the first Ultra Ball at full health, too!

Nice one, Petey! :D

Where do you encounter that thing anyways? I've seen other people mention it but haven't yet found it myself.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Linkachu said:

Where do you encounter that thing anyways? I've seen other people mention it but haven't yet found it myself.
It's in White 2 only, and only on Mondays - you go down into the ruins in Route 4 and go to the north-east corner, above the backpack girl: he'll be waiting there.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Teapot said:
Linkachu said:

It's in White 2 only, and only on Mondays - you go down into the ruins in Route 4 and go to the north-east corner, above the backpack girl: he'll be waiting there.

Oh cool! I thought he occurred later in the game, didn't realise it was on Route 4. I shall grab one on Monday :D

No shinies for me as of yet :3

Excluding the red Gyrados
0y8m8ux
on Crystal and SoulSilver, I caught a shiny Tentacool
0j4l44u
(unfortunatly, it's one of my most disliked Pokémon of all times) and a shiny Rapidash
0tubd6h
(I named it Paolo) on SoulSilver. Other than that, I met a shiny Tantacool
0j4l44u
when I test played Emerald on an emulator but ran out of balls before I could catch it.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
1Giantguy said:
I feel nooby now cause I have not seen or caught a shiny! (not including the red gyrados)
Trust me, not ever seeing a non-event shiny does not make you a noob! The chances are so, so slim that you either have to pour hours of work into specifically aiming for one, or get spectacularly lucky. As you may know, the chances of a shiny in the wild are 1 in 8192!

So, Here pretty soon i'm going to try MMing for a shiny. I've got my Japanese Ditto ready to go. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking probably Litwick because the Shiny form of Chandelure is amazing. I contemplated Eevee but i like too many of the eeveelutions and so i'd need like 8 shiny eevees. O.o.

What would you guys suggest?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Teapot said:
1Giantguy said:
I feel nooby now cause I have not seen or caught a shiny! (not including the red gyrados)
Trust me, not ever seeing a non-event shiny does not make you a noob! The chances are so, so slim that you either have to pour hours of work into specifically aiming for one, or get spectacularly lucky. As you may know, the chances of a shiny in the wild are 1 in 8192!
I went for ages without finding any shines and then happened across a shiny Litwick in White. Then another, then another. I have three shiny Litwicks. I don't even like Litwick. What are the odds of that? Dang EV training >=O

Why is it that everyone has a shiny Zubat?
Anyway, there was the shiny Pelliper I found in Emerald, which I lost because I didn't save...
Then the shiny Altaria that I lost because I started a new file...
Then there's a shiny Shroomish on my Ruby Nuzlocke (broke the rules to catch it).
The shiny Pichu I got in an Event...
That may be it.
Ironically, My Pearl File, which I have poured the most time into (40 Elite 4 victories and counting), has not provided me with a single shiny.

In my history , I've managed to find the following shinies in my game:
Zubat -> Golbat (Saphire)
Wurmple -> Cascoon -> Dustox (Saphire)
Tentacool -> Tentacruel (Diamond)
Elekid -> Electabuzz -> Electivire (White 2)
Minccino -> Cincinno (White 2)

I am currently playing through a copy of black 2 in German in order to get a Ditto in order to breed using the Masuda Method though.

Couple of months ago I caught a shiny icecream on my Black and I screeched like a small child because ICECREAM and SHINY.
i can't remember the name of it tthough GOSH /curls up

Strawberry pikachu you're thinking of Vanillite/Vanillish =)

I was playing through Black 2 the other week when I came across a shiny seel... Have you seen shiny seel? it's so bloody disappointing! I genuinely thought at first "oh a sparkle, must be N's pokémon" then was like "wait a second, N didn't have a seel... but it looks almost the same" threw a great ball, caught it without doing any damage, and yeah it's slightly tan rather than being white... Fortunately I've traded it to my fiance for her only gen 5 shiny... Sewaddle....

Back in November i come across a shiny sigilyph weakened it then caught it
in a great ball. Then i realized what just happened. Unfortunately i couldn't scream or anything, it was 3 am. but i did run around my room saying "holy crap"

I have never really encountered a Shiny Pokemon using any method, I got a random Shiny Houndour in Platinum, and in the same game, random encounter with Shiny Psyduck. All my other Shinies are through events or trading.

I have Shiny Pichu from an event, and the red Gyrados which I consider a free giveaway, as far as the rarity of Shinies go. I also have Shiny Sudowoodo, Machoke, Raticate, Manaphy, Lugia, Snover, and Castform from trade. I gotta start using those methods to get some more :\

The only Shiny Pokemon I've ever encountered would be Shiny Gyarados. It's really simple to get one though, because he is part of the gameplay in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Otherwise, I've never encountered any shinies. Excluding Wi-Fi/ DS Download Battles.

I have 208 shiny Pokemon in my White 2 Version~
I think around 3 boxes worth in my Black Version, a shiny Excadrill in my White, a handful scattered about in Black 2, a shiny Voltorb, Sunkern, and Magnemite in Emerald, and a shiny Gyarados in SoulSilver (of course xD)

Most were eggs, though the Sunkern got my heart racing quite a bit because I found it in the Safari Zone. I was down to the last 3 Safari Balls and I managed to catch it on the second-to-the-last one. Stuff like that stays with you forever yo.

The only shinies i have caught are the Red Gyarados and the shiny Haxorus you get for completing the Unova Dex. But I have found 2 random shinies, both I accidentally KO'd. A Kadabra in Diamond and a Buneary in Platinum (Knocked Out with a critical hit quick attack ;_;).

ive meet 3 shinys first my first shiny was first wild pokemon every captured in my game a shiny cleffa in pearl
and in ss a shiny level fifty one golduck had 1 ultra ball level 100 mewtwo just threw it and caught it. and a shiny mankey (now a primeape) from my brothers hg when i played it i have a total of 20 shiny 3 were random all the others were events

Last edited:
i caught shiny spoink :love: today and not it is a ... wait for it... GRUMPIG!!!!! it is one of my favorite pokemons :love: and for my history of shinys i have found :

shiny eevee (now a umbreon)got it in pokemon red and traded to platinum to make it an umbreon

shiny rayguaza from a trade

shiny golbat (found randomly in platinum)

MY RAREST RANDOM ENCOUNTER is shiny LATIOS!!!!!!! found it randomly when i was playing emerald! (i traded it to my friend for a shiny wobbuffet! one of my bad sides... i cant resist wobbuffets i just adore them) :love:

shiny gyarados (not so rare)

shiny floatzel randomly from platinum

shiny graveler (now a golem)again randomly from platinum

and with the masuda method i have gotten so many shinys that i wont list them here because this would be then so annoing trying to read.

and thats all i can remember ... I HAVE HAD A EXTREMELY GREAT LUCK WITH SHINYS! but i havent found any shinys in black and white! hmm i wonder why is that. i might actually have found even more but thats all i can REMEMBER.
oh and i traded myself a shiny raichu once

i just started playing emerald and : NO JOKING!!! shiny zigzagoon!!! oh i just my LUCKY POOPY SELF! (poopy would have been a swearing part but rules say no to that so its just poop)

most of my shinys are from platinum and emerald because those are the 2 that i mostly play :p

ps : these are all found by me randomly walking around games. i have "farmed" so many others.

Last edited:
I have caught three shiny Pokemon. A shiny Makuhita whilst training in Granite Cave in my Ruby, and shiny Cyndaquil yesterday after just 12 SR's! And today, a shiny Totodile after 682 SR's! Happy me!

A few days ago I tried my hand at the chain fishing technique, and it worked :) I fished up a shiny Relicanth. He's not horrible, I think he has a 25 IV in Attack. I'm still slowly super training him, but once I get him all perfect I'm gonna work on a moveset and start leveling him up and hopefully he'll be useable in some way or another. I've tried chain fishing again since then but no luck so far.

I do not have any new Shiny Pokemon yet, but I am, for the first time, attempting to get one in Pokemon Platinum through chaining. So far, I've got:

1st Place: Chain of 18 for Nidoran Male

2nd Place: Chain of 16 for Starly

3rd Place: Chain of 11 for Nidoran Female

As you can see, I have done okay for my first time, but it is a little frustrating. If anyone has a recommendation for a good area for chaining in Platinum, I'm all ears, but for now, I will continue my attempts in Route 201. I'll update if I manage to nab one.

Figured I'd update this with the Shinies I got this Gen~

After hearing about the Chain Fishing method, I decided to take a stab at it and netted me a Shiny Horsea after a chain of 17 \o wo/ A while after that, while hunting for Lanturns, I hooked up a Shiny Octillery as well. I wasn't able to record the chain's count though.

In the Friend Safari, I came across a Shiny Spritzee, which I unfortunately KO'd as well as a Shiny Dedenne. I haven't really tried to find any new Shinies since then.

Meanwhile, at the Daycare, I've managed to hatch a Shiny Fennekin (which now belongs to Sami ♥) and a Shiny Snubbull. The Snubbull is pretty special to me since I wasn't even using the Masuda Method to get her~

So 6 Shinies so far for the Kalos region. I wanna get a Shiny via Radar chaining and Horde battles, but I haven't been lucky so far. x3

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Still amazes me how many shiny Pokémon some people have found in the gen six games, 95 hours in and only found one! xD

Anyways, last night I was going through Friend Safaris and came across a shiny Phanpy! Didn't have anything to weaken it with, so I threw a Quick Ball and thankfully caught it. Got a 31 iv in HP and Def too. :3

Still amazes me how many shiny Pokémon some people have found in the gen six games, 95 hours in and only found one! xD
Probably due to the shiny rate changing from 1/8912 to 1/4096 this generation. Also, the rate is apparently even higher in Friend Safaris.

orly? Has anyone managed to get a proper source for that?
I think it has been confirmed, although I don't have the original source. Serebii is reporting it, but I don't think they worked it out. The Friend Safari thing is a rumour, but it's extremely likely considering the rate people are running into shinies there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Meant to post this ages ago. A couple of months back on Black 2, after completing my Nat Dex and getting the Shiny Charm, I went crazy breeding Charmander until I finally hatched a shiny. Was roughly 156 Charmander hatched until getting the shiny. In the process of breeding I ended up with some kickass IVs to boot. ^__^

Have yet to catch any shinies this generation but I'm looking forward to doing such. Now that the rates of obtaining them via breeding + Masuda method has improved I'll likely try my hand at that again, too. :3