• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Pokemon TCG topic

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
So, I don't think we've ever had a topic on Charms regarding the TCG, which is surprising, since the cards were and continue to be such a huge aspect of Pokemon.

The TCG was my portal into Pokemon. I have no doubt that I would've gotten into it regardless, but it would've taken a lot longer. I saw the cards and was able to dive right into everything the franchise had to offer, and it was great ♥ My first card ever was a Lightning Energy, which is pretty lame, but it was totally awesome anyway. From then on I haunted the local cardshops and played with other kids at my school, until the cards were banned anyway. I didn't really play the card game properly, but I did a few times.

So yeah, making this topic mostly because I recently found myself looking at my old cards from, like, over ten years ago (crazy right?) and have sort of reacquired my affection for collecting them. I've recently been scouting around eBay and craigslist for old cards, from the first four sets, which were my favorites. I'm still missing a few cards here and there. Like Charizard. The original base set Charizard. Every kid had one but me. (One of my friends had four ._. ) But yeah - it brings back a lot of memories collecting all of the cards from the old sets again.

Also I've decided to begin collecting again starting with the Black and White series of cards. I'd rather not go back and try to collect every single card from every single series I missed from the first Team Rocket series until now. Just today I got some of the "sneak peak" tins for BW.

Anyway. Just throwing this topic up so that other people can post about their TCG experiences. Whether it be collecting or playing or whatever really. Anything relating to the cards pretty much flies in here. xP

Last edited by a moderator:
Those cards were extremely popular where I live, more-so when I was elementary school (that was when Pokemon was released in the states, in fact).

I barely knew how to play the game, and my first card was a basic Charmander. If I remember right, I went on and bought a starter deck and circled it around using fire, ground, and fighting.

The game however is really stale, I preferred Yu-Gi-Oh which was at the time actually good.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Where to start. I pretty much dip into everything related to Pokemon, at least a bit, so it wasn't much of a surprise that I got into the TCG way back when. I'd played Magic the Gathering years before, so I was pretty intrigued to see what Pokemon's take on a TCG would be. The differences were well appreciated, and I found the Pokemon TCG pretty fun to play.

My first set ever was the pre-constructed Base Set deck, the one with holo Machamp. It gave me everything I needed to start off, and got me hooked on the game. After that I bought three booster packs, and within 'em was one of my (still) favourite cards: a Base set Charizard. ♥ (Cry, Sem, cry! 8D)

After that I started constructing my battle deck, which ended up being Fire and Water. The deck mainly consisted of Charizard, Arcanine, Gyarados, Dewgong and their pre-evolutions. Probably had a few others thrown in there, but I can't remember now. I too played the game at school until the cards were banned, and then continued to play them with friends... until everyone got bored of 'em. I tried to keep collecting them once the fad died, but without people to play against I finally decided to stop and save my money. I'd never really set out to collect 'em all, y'know? I mainly enjoyed battling.

Over the years I've randomly bought the cards on and off - a pack here, a pack there, etc. When the eReader first came out, I found it pretty cool and bought a bunch of 'em to use with it. That didn't hold my interest for too long, but I did spend a good $50-70 on booster packs.

Most recently, I bought the three Unova starter tins to get the cute little figures included. Now I have a BUNCH of new cards, and it'd be kinda cool if I could actually use them for something again - especially my two Ho-oh cards: one standard colored, the other shiny. ♥

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I've never really been into TCGs of any sort, and most of my interest in the PokeMon one is for the card artwork only. Most of my experience with the actual game happened with the GBC Pokemon TCG game, which made eff-all sense but I enjoyed it anyway.

... Allow me to state that certain Wigglytuff cards are the gogdamned devil. XD

I remember when I started collecting Pokemon cards already 5 years ago, and I was still a freshman in that time. I started collecting those cards when I get fascinated from the artworks from the wrapper. From then on, I always buy where it come to the point that I don't have to eat just to buy it, and even comes to the point were my mom threatens me to burn all of them if I didn't stop buying it. But those things didn't stop me from buying it. Still, I manage to collect a whole attache case full of Pokemon cards, and even manage to complete the three starters, though I haven't found any Marshtomp in it. That's my story.

I've always collected the cards, for as long as I can remember XD

I was never able to really play the game, as I never had the patience required to learn it. I just wanted those shiny holographics. I remember one year, for Christmas, my parents hung tons of booster packs from the tree as a Christmas morning surprise.

I stopped for quite a while, but then began collecting again for some reason with the newer sets. And then when Rising Rivals came out, I saw that there was a card that I really had to have- Roark's Rampardos. Then I just collected zettamillion packs until I got one |D I had to have gotten upwards of 50 packs. It was like the card was eluding me |D

Now I variously collect packs whenever I head out to the local WalMart |D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm totally addicted to the Pokemon TCG Online thing. @_@ I ended up buying the new Blue Assault theme deck simply to use it on the online game.

I really hope that at some point they allow players to battle each other via Pokemon TCG Online, even if it was simply restricted to battles between friends. I miss playing the TCG with other people. :(

I've collected cards since they first came out here (before I even knew the games existed). My dad used to take me to the video store every day that I was really good and buy me a pack of cards. I've collected them ever since, but unfortunately I had to sell a binder full today. Still have two more binders to sell, one consisting of all holos/rares. It's sad to say goodbye to such lovely sentimental things, but there were good times.

I have alot, someimes I don`t even remember getting them. My sister had a Dark Ampharos card, (this one:)
1-dark-ampharos.jpg

She said it had like a curse or something because she didn`t want me to touch it. I fell for it. But come on, THE CARD IS REFLECTIVE!