• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Platinum Discussion Topic

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
With Platinum out this week and news from it already trickling out, use this topic to discuss all things Platinum related. :)

I've just updated the Platinum section with info about Rotom's new formes and a list of all the new Pokemon in Sinnoh:

http://www.pokecharms.com/games/DS/platinum/?Link=Formes

http://www.pokecharms.com/games/DS/platinum/?link=SinnohDex

aah, thanks Doctor Oak, i knew i could rely on this place to get the info up quick ;) anyway i think all the rotom formes look really good and original.

i wonder how you can get these in the the game, maybe intercact with a fridge and it becomes ice form, hehe.

again thanks for updating the platinum section for me to fan-spazm over

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
rotomforme4.jpg

darkchao.gif

[size=4pt]I couldn't find an image of a Neutral Grinning Chao, which would be much more appropriate.

Demon Grinning Chao Lawnmower >=O[/size]

i agree with Yoshimitsu it does look like one XD, and on another note i cant wait to play with these new formes. wounder if you can change back and forth?

Maybe in Platinum, you get Rotom the same way as D/P. But items scattered across the Old Chateau can be possesed by Rotom with help of the secret key (wherever that is). I mean concerning that all the household items the new Rotom forms represent could easily fit in to the chateau, it works rather well. But it is up to those who have access to Platinum to get the full information about the Rotom subject.

they could add an extension out the back OR have it out the front, if i remember correctly there was a small road leading up to it. maybe it was an abandonned one from recent times when someone travelled there, or when someone tried to trim the grass because you couldn't get to the haunted mansion without being attacked by a pokemon

I could tell that even as old as it was, it wasn't older than the invention of the lawn mower. I mean, there was a TV and fridge in there, right? I'm sure they could get away with adding a lawn mower, a toaster, or a fan to the house. About the secret key, since Rotom is being added to the Sinnoh dex, there is a slight chance the trouble-maker could be involved in the plot and the role it plays might result in you aquiring the secret key. But that's just me.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Aside from the lawn mower, which is just awesome, I'm not to keen on these Rotom forms. I never really liked the mechanical/robot route that Pokemon seemed to take. I admit they're a weird idea, but I'm much more interested in Sky Form Shaymin. I really hope it can be caught in the game without it needed a Nintendo event. There are never any near me

Anyone else happy with the new Sinnoh Pokedex? A lot of heavy hitters will now apparently be easier to come across than before, although its tough to say if some of the Pokemon will remain hidden until after you beat the E4 the first time, since Pokemon appearing after beating the E4 to complete the national Pokedex has happened before.

How about the new gyms? Apparently, a fair few of them have recieved upgrades in their roster ( Volkner for one finally gets a purely electric team) and a certain hard-to-find gym leader has been moved to become the 3rd leader storywise.

Concerning the Rotom issue, from what I've heard, the secret key apparently changes Rotom depending on where you do it. With regards to typing, it might be route-wise like with Leafeon, Glaceon, Probopass and the like, or like you guys said, it could very well be just around the old chateau. It is also possible using this key is limitless in the same manner with the Glacidea flower, so its simply a mater of going to a spot and changing the form. I could be wrong however, but the ability to freely change a Pokemon's form isn't that far off, as many other species are never limited to a specific form like Castform and Shaymin, save however for Wormadam, whose stuck with a steel, grass or ground typing after evolving.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
One of the things I'd been highly hoping for with Platinum was confirmed yesterday: rematches with the Gym Leaders. While it doesn't look to be as extensive as Emerald's rematches were, this is still a great addition because it gives you something more to battle once you've beaten the Elite 4. The Battle Frontier might be great for its battling diversity, but it's still not experience and money-based battling - something I appreciate after a tough challenge. It doesn't look like the Elite 4 were given an upgrade version too, though, which is a bit of a shame. That was a really high point for me with FR/LG.

But no matter. With everything going into Platinum, I'm dying to play it, too. The PokeDex additions are WELL wanted, even if I already have my next team planned out in advance... >>;

Apparently, the Elite 4 also gets an upgrade. You just need the National Dex. On the flip side. Their rosters dont change from the first time you faced them.

On top, move tutors make another return, and with me, that spells more access to movesets without Emerald, as a lot of common moves are now able to be taught in the game.

As a note to Katie's point, you can re-battle the Gym leaders after finishing a certain objective in the game. And those parterns you go through are also present with the gym leaders, cause the gym leaders don't re-match you in the gym. And if I'm right, their rosters change to include some of the National Dex Pokemon.

Reports I've heard mentioned that the Legendary Birds of Kanto are found roaming around Sinnoh after getting the National Dex. Talk to Prof. Oak and he'll mention that one of the three birds is flying around and can be found on the Marking map.

As for the Rotom forms, the blue skY blog revealed the names of each of Rotom's forms. They are Frost (Ghost/Ice), Spin (Flying/Ghost, Wash (Water/Ghost), Cut (Grass/Ghost) and Heat (Fire/Ghost).

As for my opinion, Platnium will be awesome. Just throwing more and more into Platnium makes it epic. Maybe I should prep my in-game team for it now for all the challenges in the game...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently, the Elite 4 also gets an upgrade. You just need the National Dex. On the flip side. Their rosters dont change from the first time you faced them.

Guess they hadn't updated with that info last time I checked. That's awesome, though =D As long as their levels are higher next time you challenge them, team changes aren't a big concern to me. It's just nice having something more to take on after you've already beaten them ^^

Edit: Seems all of the Elite 4 members get a 15-16 level increase. Re-challenging them should be fun indeed :)

I just wondered if someone could clarify for me...

Ever since I heard that the Underground would be wifi I was totally sold. Now, however, I'm seeing that that information was incorrect and that it won't be after all. I have a strong feeling that the latter is true and that is a huge disappointment.

Ah well, I'll still be getting Platinum because it sounds awesome for many, many reasons. I typically prefer the third games in the series because of the better storyline, but there are a lot of improvements and upgrades this time around. For one, I'm glad Volkner will be getting an all electric roster this time. Then there are the redesigned gyms (Gardenia's being my favorite). And the Battle Frontier makes a triumphant return. I can't wait to see how that will work over wifi along with the new minigames. Finally I get to play those ^^

More GSC rweferences.

Apparently Cynthia will reward you with a Togepi after defeating Gardenia for the first time. Also, Bebe will now give you an Eevee the first time you meet her as well. (totally mirroring how you got Togepi and Eevee in GSC) Among other free Pokemon, apparently you can also recieve a Porygon from an NPC somewhere.

How nice that Platinum seems to be giving you all the Pokemon that'll eventually evolve into powerhouses. :p

On another note, some of the Frontier Brains have been revealed. Palmer is apparently one of them. The new additions are a woman in pink named Kate, a girl with crazy hair named Daria, a Lady and her Butller named Cattlea and Cochran and a relatively unknown brain named Nejiki.

All the new updates seem pretty good - especially the return of the battle frontier.
What I think is weird is some the new pics for the sinnoh dex pkmn. Some look really cool - like Magmortar, Infernape, Heatran, etc. But others looks incredibly stupid - i.e. Floatzel.
What do you guys think of the new looks (Check Serebii if you haven't seem 'um yet)?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, I think that was to be expected. From generation to generation the sprite poses haven't always gotten better for some Pokemon, I guess either because the designers truly felt that they were better (when the majority of us could see they were not), or they just weren't inspired to do a better job. In the end, we take what we can get and hope our favorites had some justice done to 'em ^^;

Of the ones I've seen so far, Infernape and Weavile look awesome, Riolu's adorable, and I like the poses they gave to Pokemon like Luxray and Absol. Even the ones that aren't so great are still nice seeing because they're a refreshing change to the previous sprites.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/GameSprites/platinumfront/spriteindex.php

Only the Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex get new sprites (as well as Shaymin and Arceus), but since I can't be arsed making up a list of sinnoh dex entries, I just threw the entire lot up.

I also included some of the trainer sprites we have so far. :)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Eheh, I am looking forward to its release in the US, though I won't be playing it until I can borrow a friend that has a DS and Platinum.

Aside from that, I really do like some of the new sprites. I personally think the Eeveelutions are a lot cuter (besides Umbreon, who just looks weirder), though Eevee itself is just... odd. Shinx looks really cute, Luxio is meh, but Luxray.. gosh. LUXRAY LOOKS SO AWESOME! Seriously, that pose is sooo frelling cool. ^^;

I can go on forever with all the new poses, but I think you guys get my point.

Also, Rotom's new formes' sprites are the weirdest things ever.

T'is it does.

Look at the Floatzel sprite. It looks like it wants a hug.

Aside, looks the Battle Frontier is being modeled after the symbol system, of having two different medals, one of a lower challenge degree and the other of a considerably higher degree.

And your guy's fave sprites so far? Mine so far are the Buizel, Lucario, Scyther, the Shinx Line, the Chimchar line and the Eevee line. Their sprites look so much more better than the D/P sprites.

Aside from sprites, the Great Marsh has a new look and there's a new feature, our own resort house.

Following the same generic Secret Base guidelines, you have to buy the furniture (Which costs a lot compared to most stuff) to decorate the house you have. As a side note, several characters will visit your house from time to time. It's also unknown if they will battle you due to the fact that your rival and the gym leaders visit your house there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As a side note, several characters will visit your house from time to time. It's also unknown if they will battle you due to the fact that your rival and the gym leaders visit your house there.

Oh god. It's Pokemon meets Animal Crossing WW.

I can see it now... you make a house date/set a time and accidentally miss it, and the next thing you know an angry Gym Leader is screaming their head off at you and threatening to have their Pokemon blow up your home >_>;

(Damn some of those AC WW characters were scary x.x)

Anyways, I think I mostly already mentioned which sprites stood out to me, but the Chimchar line really does look awesome. As Alex pointed out, Magmortar's new sprite looks pretty cool, too. I might not be a huge fan of the thing, but mimicking the PBR model's pose was a nifty touch.

wheee, those all look pretty good, but bonsly looks about as generic as possible, haha, aside from that, they have improved them. the porygon line looks awesome so i'm happy

As of what stands right now, the Key Item, the Secret Key is obtained over the Wi-Fi. Once you clear the Galactic building and crushed them all, the key can be used to open up a new room in the building. Inside that building, you'll find five appliances, all of which Rotom can possess.

Of course Rotom will learn a new attack to go with its new form. On the downside though, when you want to change forms, it will forget the move it learned from the previous forme to learn a new move in the forme it's currently in.

Aside from Rotom, by what I've seen right now, I'm going to love the Battle Castle the most. And I'm going to hate Battle Roulette. And you ask why? Cause the roulette reminds me of the stupid roulette from PBR.

Aside from Rotom, by what I've seen right now, I'm going to love the Battle Castle the most. And I'm going to hate Battle Roulette. And you ask why? Cause the roulette reminds me of the stupid roulette from PBR.
Oh dear God i hated that, i like the new Darkrai pose it looks like he wants to take you soul away.

Now I know I was right about the appliances being in the chateau! And the rematches with gym leaders sounds useful. But I'm rather dissappointed they missed out the Pyramid, that was interesting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Skuntank look like its trying to pee on you?
No, I'm wondering why it has a second face!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
And your guy's fave sprites so far? Mine so far are the Buizel, Lucario, Scyther, the Shinx Line, the Chimchar line and the Eevee line.

I think Floatzel has to be my fav. I think the new pose embodies Otter goodness and playfulness XD
Vaporeon is an improvement too, I didn't like the D/P one so much. I'm disappointed that Vulpix hasn't been redone though, I hate her pose.

I'm really excited about Platinum now ^^

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Oh god. It's Pokemon meets Animal Crossing WW.

I can see it now... you make a house date/set a time and accidentally miss it, and the next thing you know an angry Gym Leader is screaming their head off at you and threatening to have their Pokemon blow up your home >_>;

(Damn some of those AC WW characters were scary x.x)

Lol, should totally happen.

Wow. That's something to look forward to near the end of the school year, isn't it? It's just like Diamond and Pearl.

I do have something to say about Dawn's new outfit. Now that it is colder in Sinnoh, why in the world is she still wearing her short skirt? Didn't the designers ever have something called 'practicality'? Other than then that, I think Platinum sounds like something awesome to be looked forward to.

after your comment people will stop nagging on about Lucas design and start on Dawns. anyway 2009 that sucks we have known about it out for ages it should be sooner. and if it is spring for the usa what about the EU?

Although we knew about it, Nintendo didn't officially release it in Japan until early summer. Americans and Brits like us found out about it through sites and gossip. So it would make sense to release it in spring 2009. Just be thankful it isn't coming in spring 2010. As for EU getting it, based on the time between the Japan release and the UK release, it looks like it will be mid summer of 2009 :(.

I have to admit, the top trainer cafe sounds cool, but it has the downside of you not being able to go into the frontier with your ex-allies as you could in D/P battle tower. But I might be wrong, I don't live in Japan after all.