• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Black 2 and White 2 Discussion

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemon-Black-and-White-2--.png

Reveal news: http://www.pokecharms.com/news/pokemon- ... announced/

Beyond the initial reveal news there's currently not a whole lot to discuss regarding these two games, so lets start off with a general question: what are you hoping to see included, changed, or removed for the assumed sequels to Black and White?

I've mentioned most of this already, but I'm personally pretty excited about what they could do with B2 and W2. Not only do we have the potential to receive all of the usual 3rd edition upgrades (ie. a tweaked Unova PokeDex, Gym Leader rechallenges, new locations to explore, something akin to the Battle Frontier, new online features, etc.), we may also get the chance to find out what N and Ghetsis have been up to since the conclusion of B/W.

At this point I just hope that the upcoming CoroCoro reveals some solid details regarding the plot or gameplay. The release of the games in Japan is only a few months away, so there's really no reason for them to hold back with the news. :angel:

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I hope it's set a fair bit in the future, both for the story and the fact they would then have the chance to change the look of a few towns and city's slightly, just to keep it fresh.

Better online so that we can, y'know use it. xD Most also have a Battle Frontier of sorts, oh yes~

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I think it's an amazing opportunity for them to develop a good story. While previous third games were basically the same games with a few tweaks and perks, the fact that these sound like continuations really makes me hopeful that's exactly what they'll do. Say five years down the line, new happenings occur and a new little Pokemon-loving hero must step up and kick some bottom~

Move Tutors. Please. For all the stuffs that currently Gen IV only. And of course, all the usual add-ons would be awesome, like the Frontier, new little areas to explore etc. Id really love Pokemon to follow you again, but the chances of that are remote at best XD

Imagine Joltik following you. *Squeeeee*

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Magpie said:
I think it's an amazing opportunity for them to develop a good story. While previous third games were basically the same games with a few tweaks and perks, the fact that these sound like continuations really makes me hopeful that's exactly what they'll do. Say five years down the line, new happenings occur and a new little Pokemon-loving hero must step up and kick some bottom~

If we do get new heroes (Well, we'll be a new hero anyway, but y'know what I mean), I hope they look a bit different, but not younger. I like the tone Black & White took with making the main hero older, it was a nice change and should be kept for the Black & White generation me thinks.

Magpie said:
Move Tutors. Please. For all the stuffs that currently Gen IV only. And of course, all the usual add-ons would be awesome, like the Frontier, new little areas to explore etc. Id really love Pokemon to follow you again, but the chances of that are remote at best XD

Move Tutors yeeessss, must have! New little island in the form of something which generation three Pokemon can live on like Alex (If I remember rightly), talked about when the games were announced. Needs doing if only to throw even MORE hints of R/S remakes at us. XD Pokemon following us is a must have without question, just for how cute Oshawott would be. ♥

Linkachu said:
At this point I just hope that the upcoming CoroCoro reveals some solid details regarding the plot or gameplay. The release of the games in Japan is only a few months away, so there's really no reason for them to hold back with the news.

Meant to reply to this in the first post. I think it's likely details will come from CoroCoro as and when its released, but I know Bulbanews are keen to keep an eye on Pokemon Smash each week as well, so maybe that will also be a decent outlet for news, hopefully anyway. It'd be better then just once a month or so, which is what CoroCoro is.

Magpie said:
Id really love Pokemon to follow you again, but the chances of that are remote at best XD

YEEESSSS :up:
I loved the HG/SS folowing feature. I loved it to death.

I'd also like a new-ishh storyline, or at least some (obvious with Black/WhiteKyurem) adding on to the present one. c:

Like everyone else in this thread, I'm uber excited about the games! As I said before, I love how they decided to do a direct sequels because it means that Black and White are both canon. In the past, the third games were always the canonical ones while the first two games were beta tests or something. Depending on how far BW II are set in the future, we could get entirely new protagonists. I definitely want them to tweak the cities--especially Castelia since I found that other cities surpassed it in prettiness.

We really do need the third games standards (move tutors, gym rechallenges, Battle Frontier, etc) so we can lessen our dependence on the Gen IV games.

Oh, and I want to make a prediction: if they don't make an entirely new island for it, I kinda think the Battle Frontier will be in Anville Town. Honestly that town barely serves a purpose as it is now.

Move tutors are a must, there's too many moves that got taken away from us that we need more available, stealth rock instantly springs to mind!

I kinda want black and white 2 to be a prequel not a sequel, that way it could give us more information on the back story of the three musketeers, and the whole 2 forms of kyurem could be a link to it being 1 pokémon before splitting into reshiram and zekrom...

I hope that Keldeo also gets a new form, it's such a disappointment as a pokémon that it has a lovely special attack and an almost entirely physical movepool, just not a really useless form change move like meloetta.

I want to be able to battle every single trainer in the game again, I think changing the VS seeker in platinum etc was a massive waste, even if it's every season or every 4 seasons you can ask trainers for a rematch, it makes training a lot more fun, and makes replay value more interesting. Even if it was just a feature on the x-transever like the pokénav in gen 3, it'd be a nice touch.

I'm really tempted to get these in japanese... I don't know how much I want to wait 3 months for the UK release...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Images care of Bulbanews:

Pokemon_Black_2_Boxart_JP.png
Pokemon_White_2_Boxart_JP.png

Also, Dem mentioned in her recent news update that Keldeo is going to unlock something special in Black 2 and White 2. There's no news yet on what that'll be, but I'm looking forward to finding out more. Hopefully Keldeo will be a WiFi distribution internationally. ^^

Akira Rose said:
We really do need the third games standards (move tutors, gym rechallenges, Battle Frontier, etc) so we can lessen our dependence on the Gen IV games.

Totally agreed, though even if there is a Battle Frontier, I hope they keep the Battle Subway... or at least the station, since that place is a godsend for Pokemon breeding (when I need to hatch eggs, I weigh down the control pad with something, so that my player character will continuously walk along that infinite circle).

Something I personally hope for is for the rival characters to gradually become stronger in the postgame, to the point of being the game's highest-leveled opponent, like in Platinum.

The one thing I really want to see out of this set would be simple!

I want the construction workers in the desert to be finished with their work so we could explore the desert in a new manner ♥ It would be fun.

Tan, I don't know if you've seen the maps, but that's exactly what happened. The construction workers actually did finish and so that route now looks a lot different. But even so, it would be cool if they discovered more ruins that we can explore thanks to the construction. I can possibly see that happened in BW 2.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pffft. My images of the game box art became OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE, but I've since shrunk them down to an appropriate size. Sorry about that, folks. XD

Looking closely at the map I can't help but wonder.

A. Why does the entralink now have steps?
B. What's the new cave and building on the mountains to the right of the entralink about? I'm assuming it'l be how we finally reach kyurem.
C. Twist mountain entrance is still open, will it be accessible before the map defrosts? If the map does in fact defrost.
D. IF it does, will the towns suddenly have all the people back? If so, I want them to all say funny things like "what the hell, why is it now june?!"

As stated above I want an actual in depth story. So far I'm iffy on the design of the new characters, but I like the fact that you'll be able to catch older generation pokemon now from the getgo. I still kinda wished they would make a few new pokemon for these games.

The new Kyurem designs look amazing! Although the PC designs are less than satisfactory in my book... Maybe I'll attempt a Nuzlocke with BW2 if I'm up to it :)
+ Cheren's a gym leader! Whoo!

I will use this thread to post the infos I gather from the game by playing it and other sources.

First interesting thing about the difficulty modes is:
You get a key in each game after beating the E4. Black gives you a key to unlock hard mode, white gives you a key to unlock easy mode (why?).

You can trade the keys with friends and you can start with hardmode before actually finishing the game once.
You just need the key.

Hard/Easy mode changes/adds Pokemon of the trainers. It adds levels and different movesets too. Not sure about the intelligence of the AI.

Kinda wish I had that hardmode key now but not sure how to grab one at this point.

Another noteworthy change is that most Pokemon got new leveling movesets.
I got stuff like Watergun and Aquatail extremely early.
Especially Aquatail made HUEG power Azumarill really good earlygame.

[EDIT] Seems like both hard and easy keys are available to both games under the same conditions.

The hair just keeps getting funkier and funkier with each generation. :p

As for my choice, I'm taking Black 2 to continue my Black.

As for the addition, I wonder how they will justify the change of Gym Leaders (like that old Poison Kanto Gym Leader becoming an Elite Four member), especially for the Poison Unova Gym Leader.

As for Cheren, I never saw him as a mainly Normal user. With his bookish appearance, I would have said Psychic anytime.

About a month late, but I'm very intrigued by Fuman's assessment. Black 2 could very well be my favorite game in the series if things work out correctly although iirc, the wifi is still pretty bad compared to Gen IV. Granted the newest game is always set up to be the best yet, that isn't always the case. HGSS's leveling was so broken I didn't even think about having a full team of six. Either way, like every other game, this is is a first day purchase for me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fumanshu said:
[EDIT] Seems like both hard and easy keys are available to both games under the same conditions.

Glad to hear this. I'm planning to play White 2 first and will then be utilizing Challenge Mode for my Black 2 playthrough. :)

For Fuman and anyone else who's played the games: how many Pokemon received new battle animations, and are they noticeable?

I'll try my best not to reveal spoilers, but yes there are Pokemon sprite changes. From what I've seen on LP videoes, the starters have all had slight or major modifications (i.e. Oshawatt removing its shell). Also I've been listening to the OST, and, wow, I'm blown away. I have an official new favorite rival encounter and battle theme.:)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
NiteFox said:
I'll try my best not to reveal spoilers, but yes there are Pokemon sprite changes. From what I've seen on LP videoes, the starters have all had slight or major modifications (i.e. Oshawatt removing its shell).

I knew about those guys already from promotional videos, but I'm wondering if it's isolated to a select few Pokemon or if a majority of Pokemon have new animations. :)

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
NiteFox said:
I'll try my best not to reveal spoilers, but yes there are Pokemon sprite changes. From what I've seen on LP videoes, the starters have all had slight or major modifications (i.e. Oshawatt removing its shell).

I knew about those guys already from promotional videos, but I'm wondering if it's isolated to a select few Pokemon or if a majority of Pokemon have new animations. :)

From what I've noticed during playing through the game, under half of the Pokémon (in the Unova dex) have had their animations changed slightly. Some have changes you notice right away, like Oshawott for example, while others are just slightly different and you don't notice until you go back to Black & White.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
From what I've noticed during playing through the game, under half of the Pokémon (in the Unova dex) have had their animations changed slightly. Some have changes you notice right away, like Oshawott for example, while others are just slightly different and you don't notice until you go back to Black & White.

Thanks Dem! And boo. It would've been nice if they'd at least given all of the Pokemon featured in BW2's Unova Dex new animations/sprites, but I guess I can't fault them too much when there's so much else packed into the games. :p

On a random note, I heard that Neo-Team Plasma's theme isn't as good as the Team Plasma theme from BW. I can't confirm because I don't like listening to the music until I actually get the game.

If it's true, it proves my theory true: the stupider the villainous team's uniform is, the better the theme.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Carmen Lopez said:
If it's true, it proves my theory true: the stupider the villainous team's uniform is, the better the theme.

So which team has the best music/stupidest outfit? ;D

And I'm right there with you regarding listening to the music before playing the game. It takes a bit of the magic away hearing it in advance, especially if it's a really kickass tune being used for a major boss fight or a legendary Pokemon. I hope to be wowed. :8B:

Team Galactic and Team Plasma are the major offenders with that one. Not that the other teams had bad themes or anything but the Galactic and Plasma music just really stuck out to me...and their uniforms are bizarre.

Mild revival but preordered the game with the last of the money I'm allowed to spend ♥

Also Nate and Rosa for the protagonists names what do we think?

I kinda like Rosa dunno why, not overly keen on Nate woulda preferred the longer Nathan. But at least it is better than Hilda and Hilbert

I'm getting my copy of Black 2 in the mail next week, I'm so excited!

I do notice Carmen's theory is true, though. So that means the new Team Plasma, with their cool outfits, will have a crappy theme? Figures.

Excuse me, as I'm unnaturally out of the loop, but what does the hardmodo key do exactly now?
Is it just increased levels or is the AI smarter/are there different movesets or even Pokemen for the trainers?

It's all of that, Fu...except the movesets. I have no idea on that one :/

If you're at the beginning of the game and someone sends you the Hard Mode key, the levels will only be increased by 1. As the game progresses, they'll steadily rise, maxing out at 5 levels higher than the norm by the time you reach the E4. Trainers are now much smarter, carry an additional Pokemon(at least, the Gym Leaders, E4 and other "important" trainers do. Not sure about regulars) and should generally be a hell of a lot tougher. I also think that the Gym Leader and E4 Pokes will have slightly tweaked movesets and carry held items.

Sounds good. I wanna try it out.
Are the keys wifi or local transfer?

I should be capable of unlocking the keys with a cheat tool anyways, but it would be good to know.