• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Of Butterfrees and Movesets

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
So, yeah. I want to train a Butterfree. This is me, so don't be surprised. Just experimenting with the new moves introduced this gen and I'm sure Quiver Dance gives Butterfree some potential. Yes, I'm better off training Volcarona, Lilligant, or even Venomoth, but yeah, humor me ;-D

Butterfree @ ?
Timid
Compoundeyes/Tinted Lens
-Quiver Dance
- >_>;
- <_<;
- >_<;
EVs: <_>;

So, yeah, I first run into trouble figuring out what Ability to pick. Compoundeyes is useful in that I can stick Sleep Powder on and hit pretty much all the time and be able to pull off at least one Quiver Dance without much trouble. Compoundeyes also means that I can trade it from a Gen IV game, which means it can have Giga Drain as well to recover HP. And with me able to put people to sleep that then makes me wonder if Dream Eater is a good option. I'm only against it because I will most likely find myself stuck against something that is awake and resistant to Bug. So basically if I run a Compoundeyes Butterfree my moveset would be:

-Bug Buzz
-Dream Eater/Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance

Now, Tinted Lens is attractive simply because Butterfree can hit a lot of things for neutral damage now, and 80 Special Attack isn't anything to lift your nose at, especially after a Quiver Dance or two. Of course, without Compoundeyes that leaves me with a less reliable Sleep Powder, and then a less safe way for me to pull off Quiver Dance. Also, since Tinted Lens is a Dream World ability, I can't trade it from Gen IV with any tutor moves or Giga Drain.

-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-Sleep Powder/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power/Roost
-Quiver Dance

These are the two options I see right now. I don't really have an idea of what a useful item would be There's always Wise Glasses. Wide Lens would make Sleep Powder a bit more reliable on the Tinted Lens set. Focus Sash could also be an option.

I'm pretty sure that Timid is the way to go either way, and I would pour in full EVs into Speed, but I'm unsure what to do with the rest. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Full Sp.Attack/Speed for EVs on a set like this, without question.

Its hard to say which is the better option here as far as abilities go, although many Pokemon will flee from Butterfree due to threat of Sleep Powder (which itself gives you a turn for Quiver Dance,) so for me Tinted Lens wins it just barely. Compoundeyes still works, and if anything I'd try out and use both of them.

Dream Eater is god-awful thanks to Sleep Clause and should never be used. If you put a target to sleep and they then switch out, you've basically been stripped of half your moveset instantly if you have Dream Eater on board.

Timid nature is indeed best.

I'd honestly consider Shadow Ball the best option for this guy as far as coverage goes, since it lets you hit Ghost-types super-effectively (Chandelure quad-resists Bug, and he can trap you as well) although Giga Drain (on the first set) can circumvent any entry hazard damage you suffer.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Hmm, so then you'd recommend this?

@Wise Glasses
Timid
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Quiver Dance
252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

Nice to see I wasn't very far off then, at least for the second moveset. I'll probably end up trying both in the end but this looks good. Thanks ^^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep Sleep Powder on there regardless of the ability. Butterfree is piss-easy to wall by the likes of Blissey and friends unless you somehow manage 6 Quiver Dances (good luck with that,) and 75% hardly makes the move unusable. In fact, it's crucial regardless - ask Roserade.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Scrap Energy Ball then? And would you recommend Wide Lens or should I keep the Wise Glasses?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep the Wise Glasses. 75% is adequate and the mere threat of Sleep Powder will make opponents think twice about what they do to stop you (although if you don't have it, they'll find out eventually and then you're screwed.)