• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ocarina of Time question

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
OK, I know it's an old game. I play the Zelda games s-l-o-w-l-y. Basically because I find them so difficult that after a couple of hours I'm throwing down the controller in frustration. Also, my friends object to the level of screaming (as monsters fall down from the ceiling - ARGH FLOOR MASTERS!) and swearing (apparently, it's offputting to try to play Final Fantasy 2 in the same room as someone yelling "fuck fuck fuck shitty fuck fuck!" every few seconds, I can't think why ;)) that's involved in a typical Zelda dungeon, and to be honest, after spending a few hours struggling through one, the last thing I want to do is go and start another.

Anyway. The Scarecrow Song. WTF is the deal with it? All the FAQs say you go to the scarecrow Pierre at Lake Hylia and make up a song when you are a child, and then when you're an adult you play the song in areas where Navi goes green & shooting off somewhere too high to reach normally. I made up a song with 6 notes and wrote it down, & if I go back there as a child the scarecrow says "your song will always stay in my heart" and plays it back to me. But whenever I'm at a place where Navi goes green and the FAQ says "Use the Scarecrow song to get this Gold Skulltula", it doesn't work. I get out my ocarina and play the song, and NOTHING HAPPENS.

So what is the deal? Does the song have to be a certain length to work as a Scarecrow Song? Do you have to play it with EXACTLY the same timing? (seems unlikely, as the timing of the songs in OoT is irrelevant, generally). Why doesn't it work? ARGH!

I don't think any FAQ in the world has ever explained this properly, as I had the same problem many years ago.

What you have to do is this: as a child, play the song (8 notes, I think) to the one that dances (I could be horribly wrong here, it's been a while since I did this) so that he remembers it. Then play it to the other one. Now, if I'm right, he should say something along the lines of "Ok, I'll remember that song" instead of what he normally says (something like "nope, I don't remember that song").

Go back as an adult. Play him the song. Hopefully he'll tell you about the missing scarecrow, who's gone travelling. Now whenever you play that song, it'll say "you played the scarecrow's song". Just remember: it won't list the song on your tune list, so don't forget it.

Come to think of it, Scarecrow's Song is damn near useless. I think I successfully used it twice - and on one of those occasions I could've got to the area without him.