• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Obama might make school longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 'siding' with anyone, mostly because we're not on any kind of 'teams', but I feel its time for Kalseng to throw his proverbial hat into the ring.

School is important. More important than anything you will ever, ever do in life. It's even more important than finding a job. Throughout your life, you will need to grow, to learn, and to get into a place where you can easily talk to all of your peers. I cannot stand people with a low intelligence level, and more importantly, I can't stand people who won't admit that school is important.

I'm fourteen, and I go to High School as a freshman. I've worked on a normal 7 period schedule, and I've worked on a Block Schedule. Block scheduling creates 80 minute classes, typically seperating them up into about four periods a day, not including lunch and homeroom. In my opinion, I'd take Block Schedule in a heartbeat.

The longer classes were simply amazing. They allowed the class to get a nice, thorough lecture on the subject, and I found myself retaining information significantly better on tests and quizzes. Homework might have been marginally more, but that can be accoutned for with a grade change. My teachers were around to help students for about thirty minutes. This meant that kids could ask for more information if they couldn't understand something, or get help on their homework if they couldn't get it done.

Even if classes were only extended by a mere ten minutes, that would still be better than having the five-to-ten minutes at the end of class that one would get anyway. Personally, being an honor student, I don't need anymore time. However, for the sake of my poor mind, I'd appreciate it if people who couldn't understand the material would have the extra time necessary to comprehend the material. Their comprehension quickens the learning pace, which means that Kalseng doesn't go insane and stab someone.

EDIT: If you want even more information on the lovely idea of Block Scheduling, just click this link.

Awesomesauce. I'm totally putting in my two cents. So. 19 and graduated, blah blah, ect. ect. Fire Type, I had to STRUGGLE through my Senior Year of High School. The semester was closing in fast and my Biology grade was -pathetic-. I would've been THRILLED to have one more week of school. And even throughout all the stress of grades and such, I've never been an ace student, I had some fun times with my classmates. As for Biology, I passed with a higher grade than I expected. Woots.

Anywhoo, I'm for lengthening the school year. Stories and such in Maine have nothing to do with lengthening the -day- of school, such as start and end time, but rather subtracting one vacation and tacking on an extra week. If I had been in Middle School, I'd probably be on your side, but trust your elders on this one, if this passes, by the time you're in High School, you'll barely notice the extra time.

As for some points you previously brought up. If your mother is a teacher, she'd be getting paid MORE for an extended school year. So I'm pretty sure she's not as against it as you'd like to think. Kids who are doing well will be uneffected, as they probably have routine study habits that keep them at the same if not higher grade level. Students who aren't so ace? Well, this gives them more time to up their grades and get into better routines themselves. Students who have extra-cirricular (spelling on that is so wrong, I just know it) activities have leeway with coaches -especially- when it comes to homework and studies. Since if you're in a sport, you have to be within a certain grade range to stay within that sport.

((Zomg, Kalseng. I had to do Block Schedule. HATED it. Lessened our chances to do more electives and forced us into a very tight creditial system. REALLY hated the Block schedule. xD))

In the end Fire Type, grin and bear it, since it will most likely pass.​

OK! I know I said I was done, but that was before I read what you said. First of Canadian person only a 2 year old doesn't know where Canada is. Second guy with the link picture I never said any of those things you just said. Third what is wrong with you people more school time more homework teachers will give you more and use 'You have more time.' as an excuse! I was so mad it only took me 1 minute to write this. Pixiety the only reason you probably think that now is because of your biology grade you wouldn't think that if you had an A in biology. You guys are making me so angry after I all this that was put on since I left! I also said if you have been reading everything said 'I don't entirely hate school.'

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Fire-Type, you're giving me plenty of reason to fulfil what you've already been warned with and stuff you in The Realm. Take a better approach to this topic especially or that's exactly where you will end up.

Incidentally, people have names. They're even right beside all of their posts. There's no excuse for not being able to address whoever you're making a point to.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Firetype, didn't I already tell you to think about what you write before you write it? If I recall correctly, I said you needed well thought out arguments and hinted that there would be serious consequences if you didn't have them.

I thought you meant have better reasons why Obama shouldn't make school longer you could've been more specific. Oooo crud should've looked at your rank first sorry.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
Children aren't even aware of their actions until they are 3 years of age. 5 year olds learn how to finger paint and do basic math. You don't even get to learn that there's a world outside of you until you're around the age you are now.

Also take into consideration that some people are brain damaged, or are complete idiots. I find it offensive that you -dare- to put such a stereotype on young children who barely even fucking know what some words -mean- yet.

Excuse my language by the way, this is how I deal with annoyances.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Fire Type, how old are you? Because I refuse to believe you're any older than 8. I'm so tempted to kick you into the realm right now, unless you can prove to me (and the staff in general) that you don't deserve to be n00b'd.

Well I admit I can get angry after reading comments about me being a little kid. Then I get angry act like one and then everyone ignores me. I also started running out of ideas and started typing before I knew it that why I didn't post names down. I also have to say please don't find this offensive that eight year olds are not particulary good at spelling or grammar. (Although I also need to work on my grammar) I am also quick to judge someone and don't notice some stuff like say rank.

Woow. This topic has really gone up.

'Nyway, I feel the need to say something. Fire, I'm fourteen, in 8th grade.
Honestly, when this topic started, I feel you could have put much more detail into your first post, to show your side more clearly. And again, like so many others have said, more school time would be great. I'm going to go ahead and assume you are indeed an honors student like you claim, but are one of those "ugh...dun wanna do this..." and just barely get by. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

More school time really would be less homework. No teacher would pull the "oh, you have more time" card. They'd give less because you have more time in class, and more time for actual instruction. Because of that, you would need less practice at home.

Also, all of your arguments are coming mostly from just your case not on a National, or even a citywide outlook.

And El, I think it might be just a bit unfair to judge him just on this topic. He seems a bit overwhelmed to me.

Errr...Fire, you realized you completely ignored every other aspect of the past few comments, right?

@El: I suppose that's true. Forgive me. xP

.......I was trying to help you, but here it seems it might be a lost cause. One-liner's like that are not your friend.

You did a good job at getting a few people to think, though. I'll just stay out of El's way...

Well im gonna stop talking before I get myself in big trouble. I'm gonna remove this topic should I it is up to you guys incase you want to keep discussing this.

Removing the topic is a bit like trying to erase evidence from a crime scene in this scenario.......

And, you really are dodging comments and giving "non-answers" You'd make a great politician. (Sarcasm ftw!)

I don't want to be a politician anyways. Ok since it sounds like a bad thing erasing this topic I won't. Probably going to be sent to the noob realm anyways *sighs*.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Cody, I advise you just drop it. This is turning into a discussion between you two that could best be served through PMs.
... seeing as you replied before I did, same goes to you, Fire-type. >>

A discussion is a discussion. No point to delete it. If you have nothing more to say, just say nothing more and let the discussion flow on as originally intended :p

And DON'T reply to this saying "okay" or I will n00b you.

Oh boy here we go.

First off El, apparently this guy's profile says he's 13. Which is my exact age (14 on the 15th lolz) so it should put me on an even footing.

I know why some people don't like school, they don't want to get up at 6 AM just to go to some boring school where you have to sit in a desk all day and stare at the clock and dream about the other exciting things you could be doing (video games, computer etc) and when you have to take homework it chips away even MORE of your time and it's worse because you're at you house. Where all the goodies of life are. True, I'm not the biggest fan of school, but I can see my friends, and my minor complaints and troubles are rewarded with the greatest gift of all: A brain. A working brain too. You know I have some people in my English class that wonder why "I" should be capitalized and replaced all of their E's with thr33s?

Like I said, I'm not a a big fan of school, but I grudgingly accept that this is made to help us learn and make us more educated so we won't go crawling back to our parents when we're 20 because we undid all the years of careful teaching by rotting our brains with the "goodies" of whatever we call goodies today. I mean, I learn from school, and i'm one of the smartest people in my class, because I do one thing: suck it up.

Well, I hate rants, and I have no more points to make. Off topic though: You're complaining about how everyone is treating you like a little kid and such. that's because you're acting like one. An older and more sophisticated indivudual uses proper grammar and correct sentences and such. Like I said, I'm 13 but most people thought I was 15 or 16 because I have a good enough of a schooled brain to excel in my writing quality.

((GAH! I was just a little too late with this post. :p))

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This topic has become absurd. If someone wants to have a PROPER discussion on the topic, please post a new one and do it there. I'm locking this to prevent it degrading any further.

I'm also contacting you Fire Type by PM and I expect a quick response...

Status
Not open for further replies.