• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Not What You See

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Alright, Charms, here's the next fic. I've been excited for this one and I hope you all like it.

~Not What You See - AKA: TTiAYNWS (Don't ask, you won't get it.)

-Prologue: Part 1-

"Woah!" rang the voice of a young girl as she tumbled onto her back in the grass. She closed her eyes and sighed in slight frustration, spreading out her limbs as her raven-black hair splayed across the ground, surrounding her head like rays of a dark sun. She stared at the branches hanging over her head with sapphire-blue eyes that practically glowed in her pale, smooth face.

"You have to keep practicing," sang another voice behind her and out of her range of sight.

The blue-eyed girl sat up, staring at the older girl behind her as she performed a beautifully fluid cartwheel, which was what she had just failed to do. She too, had dark hair, and a strong and powerful face with sharp blue eyes, almost like the younger girl's but darker, more midnight blue. She wore simple blue sweats and a tank top that showed how powerful she really was for a girl her age.

"I'm not a dancer like you," the younger girl said as an excuse as she stood up, wiping dirt off of her black jeans. The older girl preformed a few more flips and cartwheels quite effortlessly, moving like water. "And that's what you do, Lysis? This is what you practice when you go to your sessions?" The younger asked while adjusting her black hair into a single long pony-tail.

"Yep, pretty much," she responded, before jumping onto an old trash can, light as a feather, though she jumped off with enough force that she flew through the air towards a tree. She turned herself in one swift motion and hit the trunk with her feet. She pushed off the tree and flipped through the air, landing gracefully on her two feet before the younger girl.

The younger girl blinked and then looked down at her feet, where a small creature was doing twirls and dancing, just as gracefully as Lysis. It was pink, and appeared to have some sort of blue hat on its head. The creature flipped through the air and landed in with a perfect bow.

"Mime!" it called in a way that seemed it was professing it was as good as Lysis.

"I dunno, Muku," she said with a smile. "I think you and I will stick with our battles."

Lysis shrugged. "Suit yourself, Tara." She began to walk away from the clearing. "Sticking with something you're good at is a decent option."

Tara smiled once more and jogged to catch up with Lysis, who was in a slow yet meaningful stride, a stride in which she often walked; a strong stride with purpose and power.

It was late in the afternoon, and Lysis had to go eat and then go off to another one of her sessions. The light was a blend of the white of day and the golden rays of sunset. Their feet scrunched against the dirt wilderness trail of their neighborhood, which was just outside of Jubilife in a suburb.

"When do you think you'll be done with these sessions? You've been doing them for years," Tara asked as she watched a pair of starly in the tree they were passing; they were creating a nest together. She had asked this question before, but she was very curious as to what exactly Lysis was doing - she seemed quite secretive about it.

"They tell me soon, that my training's almost done," Lysis responded calmly, as if all she had worked towards for years was just a little thing.

"And you can't tell me what it is you're doing," Tara replied, it wasn't a question.

"No, unfortunately…"

"Mm…" Tara nodded, kicking away a small stone. "I had another dream last night," Tara stated. "I was in that combat outfit like before, holding guns, like I was on some secret mission," Tara closed her eyes as she walked, recalling the details very vividly as if it were a memory instead of a dream. The dreams were invigorating and intense, and she certainly enjoyed having them, even though some of them turned out to be quite dark. Muku was less than thrilled with them for one reason or another.

"You have some funny dreams, kid," Lysis laughed lightly, showing her teeth through an amused grin.

"I guess so," Tara laughed as well. "It's fun to pretend I'm like a secret agent or something, though."

"Pfft, wish you were," she chuckled. "Wouldn't that be amazing?"

They continued their walk in silence until they reached Tara's house, which was small and simple, light blue paint with a gray roof.

"See you tomorrow," Tara nodded her head as she began to stroll up the walkway.

"Yeah…" Lysis replied in a disconnected fashion. Muku the Mime Jr. had ceased his dancing and stared into Lysis' eyes with a serious gaze, which she returned. Before Tara could notice he had stopped he turned away and pranced across the cement towards the front door.

-------

Tara Valens. That was her name. She was about eleven now, almost twelve and she, like many kids her age, had aspirations to become a powerful battler using Pokémon. She was well on her way 0 she had Muku, whom she had had with her since before she was walking, and also Namoraw, her Tentacool and fierce protector, whenever he was able, of course: he had certain handicaps on land.

She was sharp for her age, and an excellent battler already, she was among the top in her school, and very respected for it, as well as very much loved by most of the students, due to her friendly and calm characteristics.

She was going to be allowed to leave for her journey after her twelfth birthday, which was no more than one month away. She would graduate from her school with top marks and grades in all areas, which was a requirement by her parents. She was by no means the smartest student in the school, but she studied when she needed to and paid attention. She spoke more maturely than expected, due to the time she's spent with books and listening in to older people talk. She also watched the battling channels religiously, and tried to catch them live when she could. Her parents treated her with tickets to see the Sinnoh League battles for her eleventh birthday. The battles she witnessed only added fuel to her fire.

Her parents were loving and nurturing, and cared for her however they could, and she was glad to have them; she knew not everyone was so lucky. Tara also had her close friend, Lysis, whom she had known for quite some time now. Tara was an only child, but figured that if she were to have an older sibling, she would wish for them to be like Lysis. Lysis wasn't all that gifted in the area of battling, but she made up for it and then some when it came to athletics, especially in the past few years. Though, through that time she had become more distant - she always seemed pre-occupied with other things, like her head was in too many places at once. Lately Tara had felt that Lysis felt guilty for not spending as much time with the girl as she should.

And then there were the dreams.

Tara always found them silly in the end, and a bit funny. She would envision herself as some operative, doing various tasks, many seemingly by magic. Like she could vanish and then appear elsewhere, and she could do amazing athletic feats. And the guns. Tara was like an ace marksman, hitting every target on the nose, usually a person trying vainly to stop her with guns of her own. There was a very creepy Haunter that, well, haunted her shadow, helping with the many missions. There were countless other things, and Tara remembered them all perfectly, as if she were actually there and as if they had been real events.

Tara laughed to herself whenever she remembered them, which was surprisingly often. The only person closer to her than Lysis was actually a Pokémon, Muku.

Muku the Mime Jr. was a strange thing. He was always moving, trapped in some sort of un-ending performance that only recessed when he needed to sleep. Despite his small body and cute face, Muku was no weakling; Tara had known him him for a while, and they had begun training very early, as soon as Tara was able to grasp the concept of battling. Muku could easily pull off multiple powerful moves, and used them effectively in battle. He was mocked at first in Tara's school, but soon Muku was also respected, and adored by every student, perhaps more popular than Tara herself. He certainly did like to let it all go to his head.

They were both extremely close, Tara discovered early on that they could communicate using Muku's psychic abilities, and they did so often, in fact they were always connected now. They always knew what the other was feeling and what they were thinking. It was a very sacred thing that Tara treasured above all other things; it was unbreakable.

Tara Valens. That was her name, and this part of her story.

-------

Gasping and yelling fill the room. Sheets tangled and everything felt like it was being smothered by a thick force. Tara awoke in a cold sweat and was clenching savagely at her bed sheets, her body writhed. Her head, it hurt so much, like thousands of things were being forced into it. She had a dream, another dream, but something wasn't right. The pain, it hurt so badly. She let out another scream as she thrashed about.

She felt Muku's tiny hands grasp onto her head, she felt his mind and his power pour over hers so intimately, pushing back whatever was causing her discomfort. She felt waves of psychic energy wash over her as the pain attempted in gnash back in utter revolt. The pain began to grow, as if it had a mind of its own and shuddered at the idea of being locked away. Muku focused harder, realizing he would need to use a stronger power. Slowly but surely the tiny psychic made the pain cease, as if he had locked it away somewhere deep in Tara's mind, holding it in with the only thing strong enough to hold it back. Tara muttered something and then fell back to sleep, soothed by Muku's aura so thoroughly it was like she had never awaken at all.

The door opened and the girl's parents rushed in, asking what was wrong, but they too were soothed by Muku and they returned to their beds, as if nothing had ever happened.

-------

"Oh, congratulations!" Tara heard as she was smothered in an embrace of both her father and mother.

"Thank you," she said softly, her cheeks burned red.

"You'll be an great trainer," her father stated as her put his hand on her shoulder.

"I won't just be great, I will be excellent," Tara nodded.

It was only a few days after her eleventh birthday and she and her family were outside on the lawn of their home. The sky was clear and the sun was bright, warming the chill of the March morning. The grass was greening and new leaves were already budding on the bare branches left by winter. The air was brisk and fresh, Filling Tara with energy and readiness to begin her journey.

"You'll keep in touch, right?" her mother said with a tinge of worry in her voice.

Tara looked away from her black and blue PokéDex as she put it away, looking at her parents with her bright, sapphire eyes. "Of course! Though, I'll mostly talk about how much I miss your cooking."

"We want you to know how proud we are of you too, and we're always here if you need us," her father informed.

"I know, dad," she said through a smile as she looked down at her feet. "I better get going if I want to at least be on Route 203 by tonight."

"I guess so…"

"No one else to say goodbye to, already said goodbye to my school friends… Well… wish me luck, and see you later!" Tara waved with a bright smile on her face as she walked down the walkway and turned onto the side walk. With one last look at her parents, their eyes glistening, she walked forward, with Muku skipping along after her with a wave to her parents.

"We'll miss you too, Muku!" her mom called after them with a laugh.

Tara walked towards the sky-scrapers that loomed ahead, marking Jubilife for all around to see. She decided against a bus into the city, figuring she'd go on foot the whole way.

"This is it, Muku," she said, her pale face aglow in the pale light of morning. Her long raven-hair shone in the light as it flapped against her back. A plain black jacket shielded her from the cold and she stepped confidently in her black and blue-checkered shoes. She told herself she was ready for any challenges that lay ahead, however difficult. Though, an ominous thought from somewhere deep within her head questioned whether she actually was ready for all she had dreamed.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
W00t! New Sem-fic!

Yay for Tara-centric plotlines. Looking forward to see more of it.

... With a name like 'Lysis', one has to wonder if her parents were crazed biologists. >>;

The start of Tara...great idea Sem!

I like how Muku helped push back the nightmare. I feel that Muku is going to be rather centric to the plot.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
TAAAAAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAAAA~ ^________^

I've been gleefully waiting for this one XD Like I've said, she really was my favourite character, and I love her relationship with Muku. Hearing that this fic will probably expand on that bond and deepen it is really awesome, too. Can't wait to see how things unfold ;D

Nice intro, btw. Very intrigued by Lysis' story, and that dream~ Gotta love terrifying dreams that go unremembered (for now...) :3

A few things you might want to look over with this, though. I noticed some typos and run-on sentences, probably due to the time of night you were writing this thing. If you want, I could help re: editing again. Otherwise, I'll leave you to it. I'm mostly focused on the storytelling anyways.

Can't wait for chapter 1 :D

Aw, and I wanted to be the first one to post D: Too bad I was asleep when this was done.

Either way, exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellent ^^ I really like Lysis already and Tara, of course, is awesome.

And nightmares...those are always interesting...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Awesome prologue Sem!

I love your writing style, it flows so nicely and reveals only as much as you want it too.

*Waits for chapter one*

Yay! Great start to a soon-to-be-awesome (I'm sure :p) story!

Not sure what else to say.... everyone always steals the good things to say :( I hereby conclude this post.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Woot! Tara's backstory!

It's going to be interesting to see how she developes into the girl we know from WoL.

*pulls up a lawn chair and patiently waits for Chapter 1*

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hooooooly shit Sem. Tara backstory! I'm impressed. All your characters are so well developed.

-sits on the Rocket Lawn Chair and waits for moar writery-

Wee another fic! I'm hooked to the story already and it's only the Prologue!

In Tara's nightmares, is Lysis some sort of cartwheeling killer or something? That would be pretty epic.
Hurry up and finish chapter one! >:0

TAAAAAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAAAA~ ^________^

That's what I said. ^^ For some reason, before Tara's name was said, I kind of knew who she was. Just a feeling.

I remember you once saying that we would love this fic. If it has Tara in it, I know I will. I also liked how muku kinda like, did that thing, y'know, with the the nightmare...yeah that thing. ^^;;

*perches on top of Psycho's lawn chair like some strange bird with food and water and patiently waits for Chapter 1*

Another fic from Sem. It had better be in that Staff Showcase! Great start though Sem.

Can't wait for Chapter 1 now.

Yay!!! Another fic by Sem that will of course reach epic proportions just like his others! Can't wait to read more. Keep up the good work my man!

I reeeeeeeaaaaaaallly like the prologue, so the rest must be extremely better.

*grunts* I...want...read...more...

*purchases chair and sits in it*

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Wheee! Tara fic this time with Muku!

I can already tell that I'mma going to like this one, probably more than Rin, because Tara was always one of my favorites. Well, Muku, but still. XD

*huggles Muku and Tara plushie*

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Gods, its like all my regular posters replied to my first post. XD ILU ALL. Here's part two of the prologue, because it was that long.

-Prologue: Part 2-

"Dodge it!" a voice yelled, pointing her arm away from the incoming attack. Her senses were wired and she could feel the adrenaline rushing through her veins, blocking out the constant roar of the enormous audience around her, watching her perform against an equally skilled battler, and ignoring the biting cold of the night as it penetrated through her black jacket.

Her Pokémon, a moth-like creature with yellow wings with blue markings, veered to the left, flapping its wings vigorously.

Their opponent, a strange creature that was green, with powerful legs and a mushroom atop its head, barely missed landing a crackling punch with its extendable arms.

"And Mothim moved just in time to avoid Breloom's Thunderpunch!" the announcer boomed into his microphone from his perch high above in a glass box, able to watch the battle from every angle.

"Excellent job, Sefer," she nodded. "Give Breloom a taste of your Bug Buzz!"

With a simple nod, the moth-pokémon faced Breloom and began to make his wings vibrate. It was slow at first, the wings appeared fuzzy and a soft hum rang in the battlers' ears. In only seconds the vibration increased to a rate so fast that it seemed as if the mothim's wings were not moving at all, and the hum grew increasingly loud as the scales on the wings rubbed against each other, so loud that anyone on the field and even a few people in the stands could hear it just above the bellowing of the masses.

"I can't hear that Bug Buzz up here, folks, but Breloom sure can!"

And indeed, Breloom heard it first and was most affected - it clenched its eyes and shuddered as its body was racked with wave after wave of increasingly loud buzzing and humming, making it hard to concentrate at all.

"Don't take that!" its trainer yelled, a tall male with short blond hair. "Give it a Mach Punch!"

Breloom moaned softly but at once righted itself, two muscular legs rigid. It jumped incredibly high, out of the direct way of the sound waves of Sefer's Bug Buzz. It flipped through the air and landed some dozen feet away and again used its legs and charged forward in a flash. Before the girl even knew it, Breloom's attack had connected, sending her Mothim rolling through the air.

"Ooh, and Mothim is hit by a nasty Mach Punch, what speed!"

"Stop yourself with Confusion and counter that with Silver Wind!"

Sefer stopped immediately, faintly surrounded in a psychic aura, before flapping his wings intensely, starting up a wind tunnel that launched itself at Breloom, bringing with it spores and dust from his wings.

"Follow it up with Air Slash!"

With a new sense of vigor, Sefer dashed forward at an impressive speed itself and slashed at the air with its wing, sending a blade of condensed air spinning towards Breloom, who had just taken a hit from Silver Wind. It was knocked back by the super-effective attack, but was by no means out of the game.

"Whoa, what a combination of Silver Wind and Air Slash!"

"Finish it now!" Breloom's trainer shouted.

Breloom nodded and jumped into the air once more and spun, so that it smacked the arena floor forcibly with its powerful tail, causing a network of cracks to spread and decently sized chunks of floor to temporarily fly into the air. In one swift motion the grass-type jumped into a flip, using the momentum from its tail-slam, and arched through the air towards the stone, kicking it with all its might towards the Bug-type.

The boulder shot through the air like a bullet and hit Sefer head-on. The moth soared through the air along with the boulder, unable to escape, but was returned in a flash of red before he was crushed between the boulder and the wall of the arena.

"And that's it, folks!" the voice exploded. "Finished by a Stone Edge attack! This battle goes to Jeffrey Allan!"

The proclamation cued the thousands to scream at the top of their lungs.

"Jeffrey will get to move on to the next round, and this marks the end of Tara Valens' streak, but she put up a great fight and should be honored to have made it to the top four of the Sinnoh League!"

Applause and congratulations rained down on Tara as she stood on her side of the field with Sefer's ball in hand and an exhausted Muku on her shoulder, patting her on the back as he smiled. Tears fell onto the ball as she put it away, and she waved at the crowd with her glittering blue eyes as she walked out of the arena.

Her footsteps soon became the only noise in her ears as she exited the stadium. It had taken her about three years to get this far, and though sad she was not able to go farther and take the title of ‘Champion', she was glad to have been able to get as far as she did and was not angry, and she was sure her parents were proud of her. She was too, proud for her partners and friends, because she wouldn't have gotten far at all without them.

"So that's it, huh, Muku?" she sighed and cracked her neck. "Seems a bit like a dream doesn't it?"

"Mime…" Muku responded quietly.

They walked silently to the Pokémon Center that served the trainers during the League, which was on its own island, away from the main Sinnoh continent. When she arrived she was greeted by the nurse, who congratulated her upon her entrance into the facility, the sounds of the next battle blared on the flat-screens.

"Thanks," Tara nodded and one by one placed her Pokémon into the tray that awaited her on the counter. She took time to look at each one, recalling how each of them preformed during the match and during her journey as a whole. She was lucky to have them, and treasured each one. She returned the tray to the waiting Joy.

"Your Mime Jr…" she frowned a bit, nodding towards Muku.

"Don't worry about this crybaby," Tara said and playfully bit her lip. "He'll stay with me," she replied softly and walked away, leaving the center.

She did not go to her lodging house; instead she took a cobble-stone path that led her down to the beach.

The grass glowed with a soft blue under the light of the shining moon; the sand was silver, like stardust. She removed her shoes at the end of the path and walked into the beach, following the seductive sound of the crashing water.

She sat on the sand before the black waves, staring at the stars above her and enjoying the silence of nature around her. Muku hopped off of her shoulder and sat in the sand as well, mimicking her exact position.

"What do you think we'll do now, hm?" she asked as she turned her gaze away from the stars above to the horizon, not visible as it melded with the ocean. "We'll go back home for now, I suppose, but I couldn't stay there for long. We have to start somewhere else, somewhere new."

There was silence between them again for the next few minutes; they simply basked in the closeness of each other.

"We grew a lot though, didn't we?" she remarked. "Learned a lot about ourselves… What's that name that one boy called me after I had helped him? Star? Yeah, Star…"

She closed her eyes as an image of a large, bright star appeared in her head, courtesy of Muku.

"Oh, you," she flicked his nose with a smirk. Drawing her knees up to her chest she put her arms around them. "You think that's what I am to people? A light?" she asked after a moment.

"Mime," Muku nodded in agreement, playing with the sand.

"Yeah, well, I'm not much of anything without you around," she said sincerely, putting her hand on his small back and smiling. "Gods, I hate this emotional stuff," she sniffed, staring back at the horizon.

Her companion only giggled as he got up and began dancing.

-------

Tara and her family were given plane tickets home, courtesy of the league, after they had attended the award ceremony and the banquet the followed after the final battle.

Tara had received a silver ring, with a small blue stone embedded in its glazed surface. Tara Valens — Top Four was engraved on the inside in beautiful letters.

The plane ride was short, made even shorter by a mediocre in-flight movie. The airline food also wasn't too great. Her parents could not stop talking about how proud they were of here that she made it so far, which, while nice, made Tara wish they would stop. Parents will be parents, she supposed.

The plane landed in Jubilife after only a few hours, it was afternoon, and Tara felt a rush of memories during the drive back home. They passed her school, as well as common spots where she would get together with other kids.

She started to recognize houses as they drove into the neighborhood, all different in their own way and home to their friends and neighbors. One particular house sparked her interest for no particular reason, and she felt a tug at the back of her mind as they passed it. A moment later they were pulling into their driveway and into the garage, and even more memories flooded her mind as she grabbed her bag and closed the car door.

"Welcome home!" her mother chimed as they walked through the front door. Tara took the time to look around at her home, which she had not seen in three years. Aside from a rearranging of furniture, all was the same, though her room was exactly as she left it, with a bit of tidying up of course The smell of freshly washed clothes and fabric softener filled her nose.

The young woman threw her bag onto her bed and collapsed onto it, breathing in the lavender scent of the fabric softener that her parents had used since before she was born. Warm afternoon light streamed in through her blue curtains that rustled at every breeze. She looked at her walls, which were different shades of blue. After a few minutes it was as if she had never left. She assumed her life would be rather normal for the time being.

"Hungry?" her father poked his head in.

"You know it," Tara grinned and followed her dad to the dinner table. She let the smell of pasta water in her mouth as she sat.

"Tomorrow the neighbors want to throw together a party out in the street for you," Tara's mother informed her as she cut up her sauce-lathered meatball and popped a piece into her mouth.

"They want to congratulate you for doing such a great job," her father explained further as his wife chewed.

"Sounds great," Tara nodded mouth-full as she watched Muku nibble on a slice of fruit.

The reunited family sat in silence for a while, eating their meal, which Tara enjoyed; she dearly missed her mother's spaghetti, having lifted solely on instant foods on her journey.

"I think I'll have to stop by and see some of my old friends tomorrow too," Tara said after swallowing some pasta. "I know they'll be itching to talk with me - I am."

"Sound good, just don't miss the party," her dad chuckled. "It'd be nice for you too see some of them again, like what'shername? Amanda, or Amy or something."

Tara thought for a moment, trying to call back memories. "Yeah, Amanda," she nodded, wondering why it had taken her so long to recall her name. It hadn't been that long since she had seen them. As she thought of it more, she couldn't remember much about her old friends.

"Yeah, it'd be good to see Amanda and the others," she repeated.

-------

"You did great!" said one of Tara's old classmates as she sat with a group of them in a park.

"Yeah, watching you was amazing," a boy said. "I was practically glued to the screen."

"Haha," Tara giggled as she drank up more of her soda through a straw. Muku was back to his usual self, dancing life away atop the table.

"You were great too, Muku," one of the girls cooed as she flicked the white ball at the end of his head.

They had all gone to a fast food restaurant together earlier, chatting and allowing Tara to catch up with everything that had been going on. Tara had missed quite a lot by the looks of things, though, she wasn't at all sorry. The thing was she was feeling the need to be reminded of a lot of things, things she should remember.

"So how many of the old class are still around?" Tara asked in an effort to push the uneasiness from her mind as she placed her cup down on the worn picnic table, stirring the beverage with her straw. It was wonderfully sunny, though the all too common Sinnoh breezes were cold enough to force everyone to have a jacket. The park they were in was an older park, overrun with grass and trees that took over the ancient concrete.

"Most of us," replied one. "A few of us moved away, including that older girl you used to hang out with I think."

Tara stopped stirring. "Who?" she squinted her eyes suspiciously as she pushed a lock of her black hair out of her face.

"That older girl, she was like fifteen when you left. She looked a lot like you."

Tara sat silently for a moment, turning the cogs in her head. Muku had ceased dancing and stared intently at her.

"I don't remember," Tara said, smiling at her inability to remember something that seemed so important.

"You're joking, you hung out with her for years," another girl butted in, wide eyed.

Tara forced a bigger smile. "I don't even know who you're talking about."

"Fall off Mt. Coronet onto your head on your journey?" chuckled a boy.

"No, I'm serious!" Tara raised her voice. "I don't remember…" she murmured quietly as she sat down, a confused expression on her face.

"She was like your neighbor practically-"

"Anyway, no need to worry about it," a girl said suddenly as Muku began his dancing once again, seeming no longer interested in the conversation. "We'll talk some more later, I've gotta go."

"Yeah me too," echoed the rest of the group one by one. Forgetting all about Tara's strange lapse in memory.

Tara waved to each of them in-turn with an awkward smile, half-wondering if they were playing some joke on her, leaving all at once. Her grin vanished as soon as they had all left and there was no sign of a prank or anything. "Hmm… Weird…" Tara muttered before finishing off the rest of her drink. "Wonder what that was all about," she said aloud, looking over to Muku, who shrugged. She stood up silently and began to walk home with Muku in tow.

"You know where I've always wanted to go?" Tara asked Muku as they walked, some few minutes after they had left the park. "Well of course you know, but still, we should go."

Tara talked aloud about what she wanted to do as they turned onto their street. Her stream of words slowly trickled to a stop as they neared the house that had caught her attention earlier. She stopped walking completely and stopped right in front of it, looking at it curiously; it was oddly familiar. "Have I been inside this house before?" she wondered aloud.

Tara pondered for a moment, curiously tapping her chin with her finger as she leaned against the fence of the house. "C'mon, Muku," she beckoned as she leapt over the picket fence and walked towards the door. The Mime Jr. seemed reluctant, and flashed the memory of the party into her head. "We'll get home in plenty of time, c'mon!" she hissed.

The house was simple like the rest of the houses on the street, a light yellow with a deep green lawn, it looked quite homey. She knocked on the door thrice, listening as the knocks rang throughout the house. She heard footsteps after a few moments and stepped back, putting on a polite smile.

The door opened, revealing a woman in her forties, she had wiry blond hair and her face showed the beginnings of wrinkles. Once she saw Tara she smiled.

"Oh, Tara, it's so nice to see you," she said kindly, drawing the girl close in a friendly embrace, giving Tara the impression that she was supposedly close with this person, though she had no idea why. Why woman looked sheepishly back at her too, as if suddenly wondering why she was being so friendly to a girl that lived down street, even if she had been gone for three years.

"I didn't think we'd see you before later tonight for the party," she said as waved down at Muku, who was twirling around on her welcome-mat.

"Yes, well… I decided to pay a visit," Tara returned the smile and accepted the woman's offer to come inside.

"Would you like a glass of water or something?" she asked as she shut the door.

"No, I'm fine, thank you," Tara answered as she looked back and blinked softly at the woman.

"Let me go get my husband, lord knows where he went off to," she chuckled as she walked around Tara and took a left down a hallway.

Tara stood by the door and silently observed the inside of the house. It was very quaint, the beige carpet was most likely the same that the house had come with, and the walls were all white. There were some recliners and a couch situated in front of TV to her right and a kitchen right next to it. The dining room was right in front of her. It was a small house, but it indeed seemed very homely.

She looked to the table on her left and eyed all the pictures. They were all of the woman and her husband, looking very sweet and happy in all of them. There was no sign of a girl in any pictures, which Tara had somewhat expected, but at the same time didn't. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling she had been in the house before, and an odd presence hung in the air.

"Maybe there was a block party here or something…" she muttered as the woman came back out of the hall.

"Well, I can't track him down right now…" she explained as she strolled over into the kitchen.

"Oh, that's alright," Tara responded. "No need to trouble yourself - just wanted to stop by and say hi." The teen turned around and grabbed the door handle. "I'll see you both tonight."

With that Tara left the house, closing the door softly and walked off the property, making towards her own house once more as she tried to make sense of everything.

-------

It was the next day, after Tara's big party, where she had eaten. Eaten a lot. It was an enjoyable event, despite the fact that it was all for her. She started cringing at each neighbor that she hardly knew that was shaking her hand or hugging her, telling her what a good job she did.

Tara had just gotten home from meeting up with some more people at a bowling alley. She went into her room and sat on her bed, finally taking the chance to unpack the bag she had used for years. She unpacked slowly, not closely looking at most of the items, but making sure they were not unnoticed. She had already given her mother her badges, so that they could be framed and put on her wall, which was where they were already. Locked inside each one was a memory of a specific battle.

She shifted through her PokéDex for a few minutes, smiling whenever she came across certain creatures. She put all of these things away in some sort of place and fell back onto her bed.

Tara laid thinking for a few minutes, realizing that life here was already becoming simple and plain compared to what she was used to. The bowling alley was fun, but she was realizing that she no longer really fit in with any of her friends. That, and there was this strange feeling that she was missing something important.

She turned onto her back and raised her pale arm towards the ceiling, looking at the striped black and blue pattern of her arm warmer.

"You know, Muku. Let's just go. We'll just be lying around here forever, and I'm itching for a change of setting, I know you are too," she told him, having noticed his different behavior whenever she thought to hard on 'what she might be missing'.

"Mime!" he replied as he flipped off of the desk and onto the floor with upmost grace. Very eager it seemed to leave as well.

That night Tara explained this to her parents, and though they were sad to have her go again so soon, they were happy for her and nodded in understanding.

Tara started preparations the following morning, first making at trip into Jubilife in order to send certain Pokémon away to Professor Rowan's laboratory, namely Drapion, as there was not any room for him at Tara's house.

She returned home and packed everything she would need, and took the time to spend one last night with her family and her Pokémon that had accompanied her on her previous journey through Sinnoh.

She left early the next morning, ticket in hand and Muku at her side. They made the trip to Canalave city, which took no more than a week, and boarded a ship that would take them to their destination and to whatever the future had in store for her.

-------

A dank light flickered on the ceiling, lighting the grime-covered walls that had once been white. Tara Valens scooped up some water and wet her face and then grabbed a towel in order dry it. She was in a public restroom at a stop, and despite the filthy conditions, it was the best place to clean up, unless you wanted to trek to the nearest Pokémon Center. Dirt covered the floors and scratched against the old tile whenever you took a step - the stench of decades was rank in the air.

Tara snorted, wringing out her cloth and putting it into her bag. She stepped out of the restroom and took a huge breathe of fresh air. There was a hint of pine in the air, courtesy of the ring of pine trees around the stop. The sky was gray with clouds, a sign that it would perhaps rain that day, but it wasn't too chilly, rather warm compared to what Tara was used to. It had been two weeks since she got off the boat and was quite pleased with her new journey thus far.

Tara was wearing a pair of black jeans along with a deep blue top that matched her shoes. She had her black hoodie tied around her waist and her pair of arm warmers. Her usual attire, but she felt comfortable in it.

The teen located her psychic friend, who was currently twirling around on a corner of cement, keeping perfectly balanced.

"Boo, get off the stage!" Tara jeered with a hand cupping her mouth as she approached, brandishing a thumbs-down.

Muku crossed his arms and sat on the corner, pouting.

"Oh, stop it," Tara nudged him on the shoulder with a finger. The girl was about to sit down herself in order to plan the next leg of her trek when she caught a whiff of a delicious aroma in the air.

"Come, Muku, we must eat now," she said robotically as if in a trance. The smell had completely derailed her train of thought, as food often did.

The duo made their way towards the source of the scent as a truck pulled into the station; the breaks cracked the air as the vehicle came to a halt. They found the source of the smell to be a diner of sorts, whatever was cooking inside smelled like it was to die for, which Tara wouldn't entirely against if it meant she could have it in the afterlife.

Tara stepped off of the dirt and onto the concrete in the front of the diner. She paused at the window, taking a look inside. As she was looking, an image of a girl popped into her mind, given to her by Muku; as well as the image of a Pokémon.

"Mm, who's that?" Tara asked as practically pressed her face against the glass; her nose left a smudge on its surface. She heard footsteps nearby as she eyed a waitress serving breakfast to one of the truck drivers.

Tara turned around, noticing a little girl that couldn't be any older than eight or nine. She was thin and had silvery blonde hair tied into pig-tails. She was very shy-looking, and she looked like she was starving, lured by the smell of a meal like Tara.

Tara approached the girl, who was unaware of her, and immediately felt a strange presence as she neared. She slowed and then stopped a couple of paces away, leaning to the side and placing a hand on her hip she said, "Oh, you're a young one aren't you?"

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Figured I might as well get this up too.

-Interlude-

It was late at night, and soft moonlight drifted through the glass of a window, which currently the only source of light in the room.

Tara sat up in bed, looking at Fida as she slept in the bed across from her and listening to the younger girl's soft breathing. Elvia was beside her, not really asleep but still resting; the ghost most likely knew Tara wasn't asleep herself. It was their last night in Goldenrod and Tara couldn't sleep at all.

The teen stood silently and carefully walked over to Fida's bed, pulling the cover up over the girl's shoulder and left the room with Muku.

The center was enormous, the largest in the region, which it had to be since it was in such a large and important city. Tara walked through the softly lit halls, which were white while the plush carpet beneath her feet was red. She located the elevator and stepped inside, pressing the button with the number one on it. The doors slid closed silently, casting the teen's reflection back at her off its shiny metal surface.

She leaned against the back of the lift as it began to hum and move down. She stared straight at the door and her reflection, though she wasn't actually focused on it - her mind was elsewhere, buzzing with thoughts.

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open with hardly a sound. Tara's footsteps echoed as she walked across the tiled floor of the medical facility and out into the brisk Johto night.

She came out behind the center, where there was a park for trainers. It was completely empty save for a single boy sitting alone in a patch of grass.

The dark trees rustled softly as a sliver of wind grazed their branches. Tara chose not to take a seat on one of the many benches available but instead walked along the path, following wherever it led.

"She's doing pretty well isn't she?" Tara finally said as they were out of earshot of the boy. She spoke to herself as well as Muku, as she often did. "She's got a good brain, she's smart, and she's matured a lot since I met her back at that truck stop."

Another gentle breeze went by as they passed under the light of a lamp.

"Still wonder what she was running from… she's so happy right now, like, relieved happy," Tara commented further. "Makes you wonder just what she had to deal with before… I'm proud of her though."

They walked in silence for a few moments. Muku strolled beside his trainer, quietly listening to everything she said, and even to everything she didn't say.

"I've been feeling a bit off lately though. She hasn't noticed yet… but recently I've felt really solemn and down, but I do my best to keep it from her," she sighed, gazing around absently at the trees and other plants. "I think something's coming, Muku," she finally stated. "Something's going to happen, and I don't like how it feels. I don't know how I know, but I do…" She paused, looking for the words to continue.

"It's like that feeling I had back at home, where it feels like I'm missing something, but worse now."

Muku nodded.

"You've been feeling it to; you're not acting like your usual self," Tara looked down at her companion. "I don't want anything to happen, I can't abandon her," she said through clenched teeth. "It'd be the worst thing in the world for her…"

Tara eyed Muku, trying to figure out what he was thinking. "You don't seem worried," she grimaced.

The path ended up looping around, taking them back to the center.

"I'm hoping that I'm just being paranoid," Tara stated. "But it's like I'm jumping at every loud noise I hear." She bent down and picked Muku up and held him in her arms, saying, "C'mon, let's get some sleep."
-------

Chapter one after this I promise XD

Yay ^^ First person to post :)

Loved it as usual and I can't wait to see how the two parts of the prologue connect. I also liked how you described Tara's ring (because I sure forgot to describe Carmen's). The Interlude was cool and mysterious as well.

Awesome job, Sem ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wow... That interlude ... almost made me cry... >>;;

I was certainly not expecting you to write a segment like that, and it was lovely... just lovely. The second half of the prologue was highly intriguing, too. So I give. You have surprised me several times now. I can only wait and see how many more this fic has in store :3

Me thinks I'll adopt the motto "Expect the unexpected" while reading this XD

Wow. A proplogue was that long. But seriously, it was worth it. That second part was what kept me from blinking my eyes as I read it. It was also surprising.

And the interlude, I was certainly not expecting some of that insight. *follows Katie's motto*

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Awesome job for ALL of that, Sem. Long, and I didn't expect to finish it at all. I never knew a prologue could be so long and entertaining at the same time.

Thing is, there was a lot of line breaks, and that kinda made me wander off the story a bit and just skim through a lot of it. But the interlude was... wow. I love it, like, soooo much.

Like I said in chat, you are evil!! ><

Wonderful start on yet another story and I can't wait to see more about what we didn't know happened to Tara. Cheers! ;D

Wow, really amazing. I've read all your stories so far and can't wait for the next installment of Not What You See! I love your writing style, too!

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
-Chapter 1-

A continuous sequence of beeps was the only thing audible in the room, which was brightly lit by white lights in the ceiling. The walls were a light gray and the tile was a clean white that reflected the light from the white above, further lighting the room. It was also full of medical equipment and a specialized bed. It didn't take a second thought to know that it was a hospital room.

Beep…

Beep…

Beep…

The rhythm remained constant, never faltering. Footsteps echoed outside of the room and a man walked inside, not even a moment after the man already in the room heard the sound of the others' footfalls. He was dressed in a white coat, as was the other one.

"Still no signs of waking? It's been two weeks…" the man who walked in stated. He and the other male were staring at the baby-blue curtain the blocked them from seeing whoever was inside. "Any more spikes in the readings?

The first man nodded.

"Very strange patient…" the second doctor said as he took the clipboard on the tray next to him, reading over the details for the hundredth time. "No I.D, no money, three pokémon," he looked at another tray, seeing three pokéballs on it. "We only know the name because Nurse Joy was able to match the patient with records at the Center." The man gulped as he placed the tray down. "Stranger still… the patient is completely unharmed. No head trauma, no wounds. The only thing that suggests a struggle occurred is a single bullet - which, by the way, looked like it had hit a solid steel wall. The trees weren't touched apart from some slight charring of the bark."

"You can ponder the details all you like," the first man said. "But you won't know what happened until the patient wakes up, if they wake up, and even then…" He fell silent once more, looking at the black of the night sky through the window, softly aglow with the city lights.

"We haven't even found this patient's address yet, to inform the family… if there is a family," the second doctor sighed, leaning up against the wall and crossing his arms.

"You should go home," the first doctor suggested, leaning back and placing his hands at the lumbar region of his back, cracking it. "You've been working long shifts; patient will still be here in the morning."

"Yes, perhaps I sho-"

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep!

"What the?!" the second man exclaimed, homing in on the device that was displaying erratic readings. "Another spike!"

The first stood in awe at it for a moment, watching the line spasm across the screen, making it look like a seismograph.

"That reading's enormous! We need to stabilize her!"

The first man had already thrown back the curtain as the second was about to rush off for help, but stopped when he saw the patient. In the bed was a girl, around fifteen years of age. She was sitting up and peeling sensors off her pale skin and removing the IV in her arm, causing the machines to go silent one by one. The young woman was in a simple hospital gown, but she had long black hair which splayed across the bed behind her. She blinked a few times and wriggled her toes. Turning herself so that she sat on the edge of the bed, she held her arms out before her, flexing them and moving her fingers. Carefully she stepped onto the cold linoleum, looking around with brilliant blue eyes as if seeing for the first time.

"M-miss-" the second doctor stuttered.

The girl's eyes flashed and turned to look at him. "Oh, hello," she greeted him, as if they had just run into each other on the street.

"Uhm-"

"What's the time?" she asked while craning her neck up, cracking it. "Well, no. What's the date, rather?" she asked without a second thought to what the man was about to say.

"Erm… 11:23pm on January 23," he answered, still a bit shocked as he looked her over with surprised eyes. "B-but-"

"Full date, give me the year," she snapped as she walked away from the bed to a bag. Once she was told the year she shot herself a look in a mirror that hung on the wall by her bag. "Four years? My gods, that's too long," she stated, looking at her face now. "She's grown up to be pretty hasn't she?" she muttered to herself.

"Excuse me?" the first man asked as the girl took the bag and the clothes within, changing into them. A pair of black jeans and a bluish top, as well as a jacket, which she slung over her shoulder instead of wear.

"Miss Valens?" the second doctor uttered as the teen tied the laces of the shoes. Once done she walked over to the tray and grabbed the Pokéballs that lay there.

"Might come in handy…" she said with a nod as she put them away into the black bag and slung it over her shoulder.

"Tara?"

She shot the second doctor another look. "Yes, if you like," she stated flatly, her pale face, made paler by her time spent indoors lately, did not even meet his. She made her way to the door, walking silently but surely, with purpose.

"What?" He looked at the first man with a confused expression, which he also wore. "W-wait, you can't go!"

The girl stopped as both men approached her in an attempt to block her exit. She did not look at them; in fact she did not even change the direction in which she was already looking. She responded calmly, "And who's going to stop me? You? Worry for your other patients doctor, I'm doing just fine," her voice was commanding and hypnotic, and indeed, the doctors made no further attempts to stop her as she walked down the hall and took an elevator, descending to the ground, and walked out of the building.

-------

"Four years, curse that mime," the girl hissed as she walking into the chilly winter night.

She walked, using the guidance of streetlamps, a fair distance away from Goldenrod General. She stopped in an abandoned park and stood silently with eyes closed. She focused her mind and delved into her center of power. Once she felt that she was ready she called loudly. Not physically, to anyone she was perfectly silent, but in her mind she was yelling, sending out a telepathic message. After it was sent she opened her eyes and waited, putting on the jacket to shield her from the cold.

Deciding to make use of her time she tested her body. She figured it would take some getting used to, but it wouldn't be that difficult. Experimentally she preformed some stretches. The girl groaned from the strain, her body having been in a coma for two weeks. She worked her body slowly, finally touching her toes with her fingers and holding her stretch there for a good minute. She did some more stretches, helping the ligaments become accustomed to moving again.

"C'mon, c'mon, lift your leg up," she breathed, lifting her right leg as far as it could go, and even then forcing it a bit higher, almost getting it to where she was eye level with her shin.

It seemed her summon worked, for only a few minutes after she had finished there was a disturbance in the air. The air seemed to boil and bend as a form sought to take its place. In only moments the form materialized into what most people would consider a scary thing. It was simply a head that was deep purple in color. Menacing eyes pierced the darkness with a chilling blue color, which was the same color that emanated from inside the creatures toothy mouth. Two disembodied hands floated before the Haunter.

"Hello, Salem," the girl purred. "Miss me?"

The Haunter chuckled in response, a chuckle that would make any person's hair stand on end.

"May I have my things back?" the girl asked.

From seemingly nowhere, Salem produced a number of objects; a belt that seemed to be full of useful trinkets, a set of clothes, a jacket, and three weapons.

The girl put on the clothes and the belt, stopping to admire the jacket. She smiled as she held it in her hands. It was totally black and made of a strong material, a cross between tough denim and soft cotton. She donned the trench coat, which went down to the backs of her knees. Black leather boots were worn on her feet. They were durable with flat soles and a pointed toe-box. Metal pieces were fitted onto the top of the toe and the back of the heel. Dark gray skinny pants covered her legs, with the bottoms tucked into the boots. The belt rested in a slant on her waist, partially covered by a plain dark top. She tied her hair into a single pony tail that fell to the base of her spine. She looked fondly at the patches on either shoulder of the jacket; on each was the iconic red R, symbol of the infamous criminal organization.

"Thank god the coat fits, the boots too," she said happily. "Pants and top will need to be replaced, but for now…" she trailed, looking with her eyes towards the weapons Salem held out to her with longing. "Ooh," she expressed as she reached out to touch one. "How I missed you…" She caressed the weapons, an expression of love on her face. She was holding two identical semi-automatic pistols, all black except for two bands of gray that went along the barrel; the word 'Strata' was engraved in them. The third was a combat knife, beautifully crafted, blade shining in the moonlight. The girl holstered her weapons onto her belt and looked through the messenger bag.

"What on earth did you do with your money?" she asked aloud of no one as she dug through the bag. She closed her eyes, recalling recent memories. "Oh, that's right, you gave it to the girl. Well I have no money either; they would've been idiots not to clear out my account." She dug around some more, finding a Pokétch, which she snapped onto her wrist. "Nifty."

She stood up and looked at Salem. "Let's go," she commanded, handing him the bag and hoodie from before, which he made disappear. The girl held out her hand, waiting for Haunter to place his in hers. Once he did she closed her eyes and focused once more, hoping she hadn't lost her skill in this area of her power.

In the twinkling of an eye, she vanished.

-------

The girl and her haunter appeared in a new location. She looked at the GPS function on the watch-device, which still showed that they were in Goldenrod, Johto. After a moment the screen changed, showing her to be somewhere in the Kanto region, Saffron City.

She looked up, seeing a large facility before her. The building was black and almost blended in with the night. It was nestled into a canyon, and looked rather bleak. "Hnn, just like I remember," she smiled and walked calmly towards the door. "Hope I'm still good at this, it'd be a shame if I died," she joked, but she was entirely confident in herself.

Two guards were stationed at the door, holding Pokéballs at the ready. They saw the girl appear out of the darkness with Salem's blue mouth and eyes peering at them as he too emerged right behind her. Their faces were hard as they scanned her appearance, spotting the patches on her jacket, but that wouldn't be enough to allow her entrance.

"Halt! Present your Rocket Number!" they told her in unison. They wore black uniforms themselves, a bit different of the standard Rocket grunt uniform. The whole outfit was black and they too had a kind of coat, as well as rods in their hands that looked nasty. Their faces were obscured by hoods and the red R was large on their chest.

"I don't have one," the girl stated as she kept walking, not slowing down at all, keeping her powerful stride.

"We cannot let you pass! Halt, unless you want to face the power of Team Rocket!"

"Power? A simple guard such as you has no idea," she shook her head with a smile and broke into a sprint; she jumped into the air, unnaturally high. She flipped and came down towards the guard with her foot extended.

The guard twirled his staff and held it above his head, blocking the girl's drop-kick, or so it seemed at first. The girl stood perfectly balanced on the pole with her leg, smiling with half her lip bitten down by one of her canines. Throwing all her weight down on the staff, she kicked off, breaking it into two. She back-flipped through the air and landed most gracefully on the ground only a few paces away. She cart-wheeled forward and stooped down low, kicking the man's feet out from under him so that he fell to his knees. Using her left hand she pinched the nerve cluster in the man's shoulder, causing him to fall unconscious.

She looked over to the other guard, who was being held against the wall with psychic force by Salem. The Haunter grinned most sadistically as the man struggled against an invisible grip on his neck. Salem took the man and slammed him hard against the ground, effectively knocking him out as well.

"Hnn…" she grinned before stepping over her fallen foe and through the door, which slid open to allow her entrance.

The echoes of her boots on the tile resounded throughout the large room. The ceiling was vaulted and the whole wall behind her was comprised of windows. There was a single person at the desk in the front, a receptionist of sorts, because criminal organizations needed them too. The girl walked towards the desk; Salem made himself unseen and went ahead of her.

"What do you want?" she asked as the girl approached. She looked mildly surprised at the girl's age.

"Be quiet." The girl paid the woman no mind as she looked at the large map over the desk on the wall, looking for the right sector of the building. "Actually, no, answer me this: is Commander Rauss in?"

"Who do you think you are-?" The woman fell silent when one of the Strata was pulled out and pointed at her. "H-he's not commander anymore, he m-moved up, b-but he's in that part of the building!" she said desperately, pointing up at the map.

"Thank you," the girl nodded her head and put her pistol away.

"B-but you can't go in there, you're not authorized."

"Watch me." And with that, the girl vanished once again.

She reappeared in another part of the building. It was not brightly lit and the walls were dark. The glossed tiles shone faintly in the dim light as the girl walked silently across the floor. No one seemed to be around, but she heard talking. The voice was deep and very familiar, sickeningly familiar. The anticipation of seeing him though, the excitement of their meeting filled her veins.

She walked through the hall and wound up in a circular room, more like an office. The voice came from a man who was in a chair that was swiveled away from her. She could just barely see the top of his bald head.

"Yes, sir, I understand, but make sure they do too; we don't need them screwing up again." He pressed a button on the phone and put it on the desk behind him without looking. He sighed heavily and bent down; the girl guessed he was rubbing his head. She had a serious look on her now, despite the buzzing in her limbs. Now she would find out what happened.

"So, admin now?" she asked calmly as she sat on his black desk, crossing her legs and looking at him as he jumped and turned around.

"And just who the hell are you?!" he yelled, his face flushing red with annoyance. He was a big man, and old, with a balding head, the only hair left were the graying hairs on the sides of his head. He wore a black suit with the Team Rocket insignia on the front.

"Oh, you already know me," the girl answered. Leaning against her right arm and looking directly at him. "How's the unit?" she inquired as she looked away, gazing at her left hand as she held it out in front of her.

"What unit?" the man sneered. "How did you get past my guards-"

"The Psychic Ops Unit of course," she reply mockingly.

"How do you kno-" he was about to ask, but it was then that he noticed her jacket.

"Oh, recognize it?" the girl grinned. She stood up and turned around, pointing a gun straight at the man. "Recognize this too?"

"W-who are you?"

"It's me, boss," the girl said innocently. "Your star soldier."

Rauss' eyes darted about the room trying not to focus on the gun. "What?" he responded, looking into her cruel stare. Her words brought back memories, memories of things that should've stayed buried.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten about me already, I mean, how could you forget a person you've murdered?" she asked with an amused grin for second before pointing the gun more firmly with a serious look on her face. "Start talking, why did you kill me?"

"I don't know who you are! You can't be who you say you are, you can't possibly be her…" he looked at her with wide eyes. "You're not Lysis."

"Oh, boss, but I am," she laughed lightly.

"You're dead!"

"Yes I am," she sighed, looking away. "I wasn't stupid though," she returned her gaze to his white face. "I was always prepared; I always had a back up. This girl?" she looked down at herself. "She was my back up."

"What are you talking about?"

"She's a childhood friend, or was. She has the exact same abilities I do, she just never knew it. She was perfect and the most logical choice." Lysis explained as she got off the desk and walked over, pressing the gun to the man's temple. "Worked out well, don't you think? Now, start talking."

The man was silent for a few moments, large hands gripping the edge of the desk, turning his knuckles white.

"C'mon," Lysis teased, pressing the gun harder against the man's skull, biting her lip down. "Tell me why you decided to have your favorite soldier killed."

"I-it was an accident-"

"Don't lie to me!" Lysis yelled, kicking the man's chair with enough force that it sent it and him flying across the room and into the wall. She walked calmly to where he landed, stepping over the chair, which was in pieces. Rauss lay gasping on his back, struggling to get air back in his lungs. She grabbed him by the collar of his suit and pulled him up, holding him against the wall with a single hand. Her heart was pounding - it felt so good being able to do what she was doing again.

"It's because of this! Because of you!" the man yelled. "You were too good at what you did, you were too powerful."

"You had me slaughtered because I was good at my job?" she asked, pressing the man harder against the wall, causing it to crack. He winced and his breathing became erratic.

"Y-you know and I know, t-that if you're anything like you were four years ago, you c-could take out most of the people in this building!" He inhaled, bringing air into his
deprived lungs. His heart was also pounding.

"Sir?" came a voice from down the hall. "Is everything all right?"

"Tell him just how all right you are, commander," Lysis hissed, nostrils flaring.

"I'm fine!" he shouted back. "Just tripped is all!"

"Good," she purred. "Now continue, quickly, the guards the receptionist called will be here any moment."

The man gulped. "W-we realized that what the unit was doing was a bad idea, bad for Team Rocket. We didn't want it to cross your minds that you could take over. Giovanni himself ordered the extermination of the whole unit."

"You missed one member," Lysis stated darkly, releasing her hold and letting her ex-commander fall to the floor with a loud thump. She bent down and again put the barrel of the Strata to his head, whispering in his ear. "I'm not going to go die because I am what I am; you made me this way…" her white teeth flashed with her smile. "and you reap the consequences."

The sound of the shot resonated throughout the floor, however, by the time guards stationed outside Rauss' office made it to where he was, Lysis was gone.

Insane chapter Sem. Love the presentation of Lysis. And If i'm right, it sounds like Lysis and Tara were quite alike.

Excellent Job Sem. What's next?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I see... That nightmare Tara had was actually Lysis possessing her, and Muku was able to supress her. Then when Tara got shot Lysis took control.

Which begs the question, is Tara dead or a prisoner in her own mind? And will Lysis go after Fida? You are a genius Sem.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So. Fucking. Fun! Gleefully so. I squeed on several occasions. Lysis is just an awesome character.

I'd make guesses, but you and I both know what happens when I do that. So, I'm keeping them to myself. XD

Can't wait for chapter 2 ^___^

So. Fucking. Fun! Gleefully so. I squeed on several occasions. Lysis is just an awesome character.

I second that! And once again, I knew who it was before the name was mentioned. Although the curse at Muku kinda caught me off guard. You had me believing that the nightmare was Tara witnessing her own death, when now I have reason to believe the it was Lysis's death.

I also like Psycho's explanation, although some things that have been explained confuse me. But hopefully those'll get straightened out.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
You never fail to amaze me Sem, seriously this chapter is just to great for words. So many interesting concepts...

*Waits for chapter two*

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
NO FRELLING WAI.

I could have never seen this coming in a million years. Well done for another excellent chapter. :D

:0
That. Was. So. Freaking. Awesome.

So Lysis IS a cartwheeling killer! My instincts don't fail me. >:D

*Whips James and tells him to finish chapter 2*

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
-Chapter 2-

The young woman's eyes fluttered as sunlight entered them, slightly blinding her. Once her eyes had adjusted she stared at the ceiling and what she could of the walls. Her memory was blurred. What had she been doing last? The last memories were of her in a forest. It was dark, and someone was chasing her.

"Muku?!" she called, bolting into an upright position, throwing off the sheets that covered her. "Fida?" she called again, willing her legs to take her out of the bed she was in. "Elvia?" She waited, but no answer came. She went back through her memories. She had told Fida to run. Muku had… She gulped. Looking again, her last memory was of her facing the barrel of a gun. Obviously she wasn't dead. The place she was in didn't look like hell, and she believed heaven would look much nicer.

It was small room and rather old-looking; the walls were peeling and there were small holes here and there in the ceiling. Everything was brown, an old, dirty shade of brown. The bed creaked loudly when ever she moved, though the mattress seemed brand new. Definitely a fixer-upper if she ever saw one. Her immediate thoughts were that the man had knocked her out and taken her.

The girl stood up immediately and looked down at herself. She was wearing the same thing last time she was awake. She didn't feel violated, and certainly didn't look it, but she was in unfamiliar territory. Heart pumping, adrenaline chased away the morning grogginess. She looked around very alert, hoping she wasn't where she thought she was. No sign of her Pokéballs. The young woman located an old, severed piece of piping across the room and dove for it, gripping it tightly with both hands, causing her knuckles to turn white.

In that moment she felt a strange presence around her. It wasn't hostile, but it wasn't exactly what she would call nurturing, but she recognized it as psychic in origin.

"Muku?" she uttered, looking around.

"No."

The voice echoed into her head. It was female and calm, very quiet, but also cold and flat. The girl looked to see a figure gliding towards her from the shadow of the door into the room. It was tall, about as tall as her. A gown billowed gracefully behind the figure, who looked like a woman. Hair was short and cropped, and barely moved as she walked with a powerful yet graceful gait.

"Who-" but before the girl could ask further the woman entered the light of the room. The girl soon realized that it was, in fact, not a woman, but a Gardevoir, but, even though the teen recognized the Pokémon, it was very different from any Gardevoir she had ever seen. Instead of the green coloring common on most Gardevoir, it was deepest black. Her eyes and horns were a deeper, more vibrant red.

"She told me to look after you, Tara." the Gardevoir said as it stood completely still in the doorway like a statue, black arms were clasped before her. Her blood-red eyes never left Tara's own.

"She?" Tara narrowed her eyes, not loosening her hold on the pipe. "Who is she? And how do you know my name?"

"Other than the fact that I could have probed your mind to find out that piece of information, she told me your name. Lysis," she responded, eyes still fixed on the girl. "And, please, lower your weapon. I will not harm you."

"Lysis?" Tara repeated as she sat down once more on the bed with a loud squeak, dropping the bar she held and ignore the clattering sound it made on contact with the hard floor.

"She told me you wouldn't remember, that I would have to explain," she blinked once. "Before I explain though; I'm Valaura," she bowed her head and lifted her ‘dress' in a curtsy, obviously well versed in human manners.

"Nice to meet you…" Tara nodded her head in return, not at all sure about this strange psychic.

"Lysis was your friend until four years ago, more or less. You were both very close and spent many hours a day together. You were both quite similar, more than just your appearances," the psychic began to explain, closing her eyes as if she had also been there and was recalling the memories herself.

Tara's mind raced back to when her old friends had told her of a girl like this, yet she could not remember, and still could not.

"Allow me to restore what memories you have of her, to assist you," Valaura stated as she moved forward, gliding smoothly across the worn floor with her arms open and non-hostile, as if she were going to embrace Tara. She placed a black hand on Tara's forehead, who was at first a bit reluctant to allow Valaura to touch her. She felt the Gardevoir's hand on her head - she was gentle, but there was still something off about her, something was missing. She felt a soft flow of psychic energy enter her mind, exploring and probing, until she could feel it deep within and far from the surface. Tara twitched once, and felt a flow of old memories rush back into her head anew. Valaura removed her hand and stepped back, allowing Tara to remember all she could.

After a few moments tears welled up in Tara's eyes. She looked up at Valaura, "How could I have forgotten someone like her?" she asked in disbelief. She shook her head and wiped away the drops from her face. "If she was real, she was almost as close to me as… as, Muku…" she whispered.

In that moment Tara finally took notice of the vast emptiness she felt in herself. It was lonely, and terrible, full of horrible loss and sorrow. Tara ended up having to wipe her eyes again.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Valaura stated, sensing Tara's silent distress, though her voice lacked the sympathy one would expect from such a statement. After a few more moments the psychic resumed her explanation. "Remember the dreams? The ones in which you were… a 'secrete agent' of sorts?"[/i]

Tara nodded after a few moments.
"They were not dreams: they were real."

The young woman blinked. "What?"

"Lysis was one of the very few born with psychic powers. She had amazing abilities and potential, and it was because of that that she was recruited into a special program developed by Team Rocket. A program designed to train powerful units in order to further the organization's plans. She shared every single experience she had with you on a subconscious level through telepathy, including personality traits and personal memories. The dreams were, in fact, you witnessing what she was doing at that moment, from her perspective."

"W-why would she do that?" Tara asked, dazed and confused.

"Because you too, are psychic."

Tara was silent, not even looking at Valaura.

"You could not have had the bond you had with Muku if you were not psychic. You were simply never introduced to your abilities. You have the exact set of abilities that she had, which she found out. The chances of her finding someone with the exact same abilities is rare, rarer still that you were neighbors. She shared herself with you because of this, in case something happened to her. She felt remorse for this, because this rendered you as a… back-up, if you will, of herself. Lysis imprinted herself onto your psyche. This was why she was so distant the last few years you knew her."

Valaura stood silent for a moment, but continued once she knew Tara would not say anything.

"Something did occur," she started to say. "There was a plot within the higher ups of Team Rocket to terminate the project. The soldiers were becoming too powerful, too efficient - if they wanted, they could have dealt major blows to the organization. They plotted an extermination for each member of the unit: five people including Lysis herself, six if you counted the twins separate, though the twins may as well have been one entity."

Tara listened intently to all of this, despite appearing to be entirely too distracted. She wasn't quite sure how she even got to where she was, but Valaura was providing answers to something she had wondered since leaving Sinnoh.

"Do you recall one dream you had one night, the last one you ever had, a nightmare?"

-------

"This operation is critical, and will help Team Rocket a great deal should we succeed," crackled a voice from the radio Lysis held. "Execute the attack in formation S like we rehearsed; make sure you get that Pokémon."

"Roger that, boss," Lysis responded, and then released the button and put the radio away on her belt. She was in her uniform, her black coat flew out behind her as she stood atop the edge a large building, looking down at a small building next to it. It was nighttime in the Saffron sky, which was lit up by the city lights. The only stars to speak of were called 'Jet-plane' and 'Helicopter'.

"Think this is safe? We're in Sabrina's backyard practically," said another solider, a girl. She had short blond hair and was only slightly younger than Lysis. She gripped a shot gun in her hands and looked ready for action.

"It's fine, Selene," responded a boy as he rolled his eyes. He was a bit older than Lysis, and had a buzz-cut; he himself had a pistol, similar to Lysis' dual Strata. "Sabrina's had affiliations with Team Rocket in the past."

"Not anymore," Lysis butted in, looking down at the roof still, with glowing blue eyes. "They say she can see into every corner in Saffron and can remotely use telekinesis without physically looking at you; all from the safety of her throne in her gym."

Selene gulped.

"She's left Team Rocket, but we know better than to provoke her, but she also knows better than to meddle with us unless she wants the whole city endangered; she'll leave us alone. What we're doing won't affect her anyway."

"Easy job, right?" another girl, Violet, asked through a radio. She was already on the ground and ready to enter the building at a moments' notice.

"So Commander Rauss said…" murmured the boy, Rick, as he looked through specialized binoculars while kneeling on the rim.

"Speaking of the boss," two voices said in unison. "Doesn't he seem to be acting a bit strange lately?" The twins were silent up until now. They were easily the most interesting of the bunch. Both were identical boys, fifteen like Lysis. They never spoke separate, but always in unison, through their telepathy. Analysts for the program figured that the twins shared a single mind; both their minds had merged early on in life due to how close they were to each other. Each had complete access to the other's brain, and they were so alike that it was difficult to consider them as different people. They cared for nothing in the world other than each other, and loved no one in the world as much as they loved each other. Lysis had always secretly thought it was rather sweet and touching. It was also interesting because together they were the strongest in the unit.

"Let's not worry about him, let's get started," Ricky, who had been kneeling, said as he stood.

"Right," Lysis nodded. "I'll drop in from above directly into the room the Pokémon is being held. You each make sure the floor is clear before joining me. We'll have to be fast, because the Pokémon isn't inside a ball. One of us, me, will be in the cage with it. It's your job to make sure that no one sees us and that the feed from the cameras is taken care of. The task is to catch it and get out as quickly as possible." She turned her head and looked at everyone. "Ready?"

"Yes, ma'am!" they all said.

"You ready, Salem?" Lysis asked as she faced the building below once more. The Haunter materialized and nodded his head. "Let's go!"

With that, Lysis sprung high into the air and flipped, diving down towards the building below. There were no cords or ropes: it was just her free-falling. They had memorized the layout of the building earlier, so Lysis knew where the room was. The wind rushed past her as she plummeted, adrenaline pumped her veins. She looked at the roof of the incoming building without even blinking. Just as she was about to hit, she vanished.

Lysis reappeared an instant later, standing completely still in a dark room. She used her abilities to try to sense the creature that was supposed to be in the room, gripping the specialized Pokéball in her hand. She sensed nothing in the center of the room, where the target was supposed to be. She spread out her sense to the rest of the room and found several minds. Before she could utter a sound the lights were switched on and she found herself facing a dozen men in black uniforms.

The grunts each had weapons, and the light hadn't even been on for a second and they had begun firing. Pulling out her guns, Lysis back-flipped and fired as she did so, hitting one grunt. She landed on one hand and was gone in an instant.

She reappeared behind the men on the other side of the room in the exact same position she was and finished her flip after another shot into the chest of another grunt. She stood and fired both Strata once before teleporting again to the other side of the room. One grunt anticipated this and fired one shot, which entered the thick metal wall right by her left ear.

She blinked and vanished once more but reappeared in the exact same spot not even a moment later.

"Can't teleport your way out of this cage," one of the grunts growled as he stepped over a fallen comrade.

Lysis sneered but did not answer as she repeated the same steps as before, being sure to turn up in a different location each time. She appeared above the grunt that had spoken and shot down at him from above. Before the man's body even had time to fall to the ground Lysis landed on his head and jumped through the air using him as a springboard, performing a spinning kick as the flew, breaking another man's neck. Before she hit the wall she teleported again, appearing flat on her back on the floor, she aimed her guns up to the heads of men on either side of her and fired before disappearing yet again.

The remaining four standing huddled together and began firing wildly about the room, filling the walls with dents and sending shells clattering to the cement floor. Lysis appeared directly before them and began walking towards them. All four turned their weapons on her, but all bullets met a faintly visible shield of psychic power attached to her arm, which she held out as if she were using a physical shield. The psychic shield rippled each time a bullet hit.

Lysis continued walking, looking very serious, glaring with her sharp eyes, her coat flapped silently behind her. Her weapons were in their holsters, leaving her hands free. Everything was going in slow motion for her; though she was a blur to anyone watching. When she was close enough she preformed a backwards spinning kick, hitting the first man in the side and shattering his ribs. His gurgled cry barely had time to pierce the air before his machine gun was snatched rather easily from his hands and was struck in the side of the head with the butt of the weapon. A loud crunch sounded and the man slumped to the ground.

The second man raised his gun, seeing that her shield was down. She twirled to the side and grabbed the man and his weapon and turned him, so that he instead killed the third grunt with a dozen shots. Lysis kicked the weapon up into the air while it still fired, causing it to flip back and shoot its owner.

She found herself looking directly at the end of the last man's gun, but teleported away just as the first round left the barrel. She appeared behind him, and in one quick motion pulled a knife from a sheath on her belt and forced the blade up through the vulnerable area of the skull where it met the spine. She walked away before he even fell to the floor.

Lysis grabbed her pistols from her belt and dropped both magazines. She replaced them and walked to the wall. She didn't even stop as she neared it, spinning and kicking it fast and hard. The wall rang and vibrated, filling her ears with a high-pitched ring. She looked at the wall, seeing a decent dent. She grimaced and did it once more.

It was a nifty trick that she had picked up on her own. By surrounding her foot with telekinetic energy, she reinforced it and added to its power; doing this she could achieve physical feats that would be impossible for a normal human. It was also how she was able to jump incredibly high.

After a few more kicks, there was a hole in the wall, allowing Salem to come through and faze her out of the room, which had obviously been designed to deny him entrance. Once she was out she instructed him to explore the building to find who was in charge of the operation against them.

She ran down the dimly lit hallway and barked into her radio. "All units report!"

She waited a few moments.

"Lysis!" She heard Selene's voice. "I was ambushed, still fighting off the last of them!"

"Same here!" she heard Rick.

"We've never been ambushed like this before," commented the twins. All seemed silent on their end. "Looks like a nice trap to us."

"Yes," Lysis answered as she rounded a corner. "Violet, report!"

She waited, but no answer came.

"All right," Lysis breathed heavily, not taking the proper time to mourn for her comrade. Violet was the only one of their group who could not teleport, but she made up for it in other feats. Obviously, if she had come face to face with a situation similar to Lysis', she would not have been able to escape. "Keep going, we'll meet up outside; Rauss has got to know about this."

"Roger!" she heard them say above the background of gun-fire.

Just as she was about to teleport Lysis found herself unable to move.

"You're not going anywhere," said a man stepping out from around the corner with a Hypno, already waving its pendulum. The man had the uniform of a Team Rocket member.

"Disable," Lysis growled through clenched teeth, feeling the restricting power take control of her teleportation abilities.

"Right on the money," the man chuckled. "Now hold still," he taunted, holding up his weapon.

Lysis immediately blotted out the man, the mission, and her allies and used all her power to travel across the continent and the sea with her mind. The last thing she saw before the gun fired was her mind rushing towards Tara Valens, asleep in her bed.

-------

"In her last moments she used her power to force herself on the memories she and traits she shared with you. She enforced her personality on them as well as her will, effectively making a clone of herself within you before dying. Muku had only recently realized what she had been doing, and sensed her coming. Though, Lysis came on too quickly and powerful for Muku to stop with his own psychic power on such short notice, and so he used the only thing strong enough: his bond with you. With that he locked away the memories, visions, traits, Lysis herself; he locked Lysis away in the back of your mind and made you forget, as well as your parents."

Tara stared at Valaura in disbelief. How on earth was this happening?

"Salem played a role after she had been killed. He was instructed by Lysis herself that should anything happen to her, that he should take her uniform and her weapons, and disappear. Salem is a powerful Haunter and he has strict loyalties to Lysis for unknown reasons, and will gladly do anything for her."

"But why all this now? Isn't she dead? What am I doing here?" Tara snapped with an annoyed tone. This was just simply too much information for her to handle right now, but she hadn't even heard the whole story.

"She is dead, but she also is not… Because of the incident outside of Goldenrod, the one that involved you and the girl named Fida. Muku's death shattered the mental link you shared, destroying the only thing that kept Lysis at bay for four years. The body called Lysis died four years ago, but the person, she made herself in you. She is Lysis. She is also the reason you are not dead with a bullet-hole in your head. Lysis took control of your body just as the man fired at you. She was not used to your powers, but was able to block the bullet, though, the effort she had to use after just coming out of a four year coma, in which she spent certain spans of time conscious of your actions and unconscious, caused you and her to fall into comatose. It has been two weeks since that night; Lysis left the hospital yesterday evening."

"So… I'm sharing my body… with her?" Tara asked, thinking she had to be missing something or that this was some mistake.

"Yes, Valaura blinked.

Tara started to laugh, rather mockingly. It wasn't clear who or what she was laughing at. "So, I'm sharing my body with a woman who was my best friend, but was secretly some psycho-killer for Team Rocket, and she copied herself onto me as if I were some, back up disk, and my other best friend made me forget the whole thing?" she shook her head. "Have I been smoking or what?"

Valaura was silent and stood patiently as Tara's babble degenerated into mumbles over the course of a few minutes, seeming less and less uncertain of the facts presented to her the more she thought of what had just been revealed to her.

Tara's mind was wild with thoughts and emotions, which the Gardevoir sensed. Most of it was sorrow, sorrow over Muku. Valaura knew that the girl would be mourning for years. Other emotions were fear, and anger, as well as confusion.

"And you," Tara started, looking back at Valaura. "What are you doing here? Who are you?"

"I'm here because Lysis asked me to protect you. I too have certain loyalties to her, and I am to ensure your safety when she's not in control," she stated. "As for who I am… I'm simply a Gardevoir, though I was born and raised in a Team Rocket laboratory. I was used for various tests and was marked with this black coloring, instead of the more natural green that most Gardevoir are. I am also perhaps the most powerful Gardevoir, and psychic in general, that you will ever meet."

"Go away, then," Tara said. "I don't want anything to do with Team Rocket."

"I haven't considered myself a member of Team Rocket for years, not that I ever could; Pokémon are only tools for them in the end. Over the years they knew better than to meddle with me - they find themselves unable to block my powers with a psychic block, and I'm always alert, so I am not caught off-guard. I have watched from the sidelines for years now," she nodded. "As for not wanting anything to do with Team Rocket; it is rather too late for that. Lysis was at headquarters last night, paying a visit to Rauss; she was caught on their cameras, which is why you're in this safe house. Lysis found this place years ago, no one knows of it but her, and Salem and I of course."

"And what am I supposed to do now?"

"I do not know; what do you want to do?"

"I need to find Fida, I need to know she's safe," she said with a worried expression.

"Lysis thought you would ask about her. I checked on the girl myself; she's traveling with good natured boy - her ghost almost sensed my presence, which would have been rather bad. She is so protective of that trainer."

"That's good to know at least…" Tara sighed, she looked very tired once again, her thoughts returned to Muku.

"Lysis is going out tonight, or so she told me."

"What if I don't want to share my body? I was only a tool to her," Tara spat. "I guess our friendship means nothing, not that it's a friendship anymore."

"I am afraid you have no choice in the matter - you are not strong enough to resist her." Valaura stepped forward once more, placing a black hand on Tara's forehead. "Sleep now…" her voice was hypnotic, her eyes glowed with a dark blue aura. "You will be yourself in the morning…"

Before she was even able to put up a fight Tara slumped over onto the pillow fast asleep. Valaura looked at Tara curiously for a moment, before covering the girl with a sheet without even touching it and gliding out of the room.

Wow. Well, that explained a lot of things. But, I mourn with Tara for the loss of Muku. He was my favorite ;-;

But I also wonder what Lysis will do next. She killed Rauss, or does she just have a long "People To Murder" list? XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
But... that's... Huh? ;-;

I'm confused by some stuff here, and not because of the chapter itself... because of something you said in the prologue >>;
I don't want to put the thoughts in anyone else's head though, and aside from you telling me directly what happens in future chapters I can't really ask about a certain plot point either... Derr.

Either way, now that the explanation of how this happened has been given, I'm intrigued to see where the plot goes from here. ^^

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
-Chapter 3-

"This girl eats too much," Lysis stated before quickly throwing a piece of bread into her mouth, downing it with a glass of water. "How she stays so thin is beyond me," she added as she looked down at herself.

Lysis was in the same uniform as the night before; she sat with her legs crossed on a chair next to a desk. Both pieces of furniture were very old and rickety, it was a wonder the chair didn't collapse.

"What are you planning to do tonight?" Valaura, who was nearby, asked. She herself was standing only a few paces from Lysis; she had her arms crossed politely before her.

"We need cash and we need it now," the teen said matter-of-factly as she rose from the chair. "I need an ID, and we need someplace better than this dump," she added as she grabbed her Strata from the desk and put them in their holsters. She took the combat knife that was also on the desk and wiped a rag across it before putting it in a sheath on her belt. "For the latter, we'll have to pay Fabian a visit."

"And the former?"

Lysis pulled fingerless, black leather gloves onto her hands and turned her head to face Valaura with a small grin. "You'll see," she playfully bit her tongue.

Valaura did not respond and simply followed Lysis out of the room and down a hall. They exited a door and wound up under the light of the moon. They were in a thick forested area that was overrun with all manner of vegetation; any roads to the cabin that existed were no longer visible.

"Salem," Lysis chimed. The Haunter appeared not even a moment later, and looked at her with a sinisterly gleeful expression. "Let's go have some fun." She turned her head and looked back at Valaura with one eye. "We'll only take a moment; meet us at Fabian's." After a nod from the Gardevoir the girl and the ghost vanished.

-------

"Who do ya think you're talkin' to here? Yeah, I'll have it ready, just make sure you bring the dough," sounded the coarse and deep voice. The man the voice belonged to shut the flip-phone in his hand and tossed it onto the table next to him. He was a large man of medium height. He looked to be in his thirties, he had a bald spot forming on the back of his head.

He wiped a hand down his face and sighed. Business had been rough lately, ever since most of his guys had been taken out a couple of weeks ago in an incident which he refused to acknowledge ever happened. He was picking himself back up though - new guys were coming in fresh off the street. They were rough around the edges, but they got the jobs done. He still had a good deal of money, and after that night's deal was done he would be set. Still, he wished he never got involved with those girls.

He walked over to a small table and took a small glass in his hands and a bottle of whiskey in the other. He poured himself a glass and was about to take a drink when he heard a commotion outside his door. He realized after a moment that someone had gotten in; apparently the guys were having trouble dealing with them. He furrowed his brow when he heard gunshots. He hobbled over to his door, only to have to jump away when it exploded into hundreds of splinters. He was surprised when he saw a girl with her leg raised; apparently she had kicked the door. The room behind her was dark, so he couldn't see her face, but she was far enough into the light of the room that he was able to she the red R's patched onto the sleeves of her trench coat.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" the man practically yelped as he rose his hands. "What're you guys doin' here? I have no business with Team Rocket!"

"No, you have business with me," responded the girl.

The man backed away a few more steps, taking note of the voice; it sounded familiar, very familiar. He shot a confused glance at her.

"Oh, you do remember her, how lovely," the female giggled a bit. "Means you're not totally as dumb as you look."

"Just who the hell am I remembering?" he raised his voice, lowering his hands somewhat. His eyes darted to his gun on the table.

"Krausky, right? Sounds like a good name. Nifty little office you have here too," she added, looking around at the striped brown and beige walls and the plush red carpet. Light flowed from the yellow shades of the lamps. "Oh! A pool table too," she noticed the green surface and stepped forward into the light.

The man yelled.

He covered his mouth at the sight before him: the girl was in torn clothes and her skin was practically blue and looked as if it would turn you to ice if you touched it. The girl's black hair was matted and wiry, and her skin was peeling and torn in several places. She limped forward, dragging a foot behind her; an awful smell entered the man's nose.

"I'd play you," she said thoughtfully, not even looking at him as she grabbed a pool stick off the rack on the wall. "But some other time," she looked at him; her brilliant blue eyes were the only part of her that didn't look like it had been dead for weeks. She walked forward, putting the cue stick up to the man's neck.

"Y-y-you!" the man stuttered. His body was covered in goose-bumps and his hairs stood on end; he could not stop shaking for the life of him.

"M-m-me!" the female leaned in and teased with a malicious grin.

"I-I-I killed you," the man stuttered again, slurring his words. "I-I d-did."

The girl rolled her eyes and sighed; the man recoiled at the putrid breath. "The man who killed me isn't you, but will be dealt with soon enough…" she tapped her still working foot impatiently. "You didn't kill anyone, but you caused a whole lot of grief. Traumatized a little girl, killed this body's best friend, who managed to put me away for four years - that deserves some respect," the corpse-girl nodded. "Oh, and you unleashed me unto the world; which, ironically, is something I should thank you for."

The animated body removed the tip of the stick from the man's neck and limped over to the table, dragging her leg and the stick as she went. "I won't thank you, though, because the fact is that you tried to kill this body just because she saw you stealing from a little boy." She picked up the weapon on the desk, whose shined surface gleamed faintly in the soft light of the room; a simple revolver. "Nice gun," the girl commented, running her fingers tenderly across the weapon. "I believe this is what you shot her with, or tried to I mean."

The man widened his eyes as the corpse turned around, holding his gun in her hand.

"You haven't used this gun since, have you?" the girl asked. "No, don't answer; I already know. Which means that this next bullet…" she started, pulling out the barrel and gazing at the remaining shots. "Was meant for the little girl." She placed the barrel back into position and aimed it at the man.

"P-please!" he shouted, barely able to form the word. "I d-don't want to d-die, don't kill mme!"

"Oh, you…" the girl limped nearer and placed her cold and clammy hand on his cheek, rubbing it with a concerned frown on her pale dead face. "Dying isn't all that bad," her frown became a grin as she placed the barrel of the weapon directly between the man's eyes. "Take it from me."

No one heard the gun fire, for no one in the building was alive to hear it.

The girl tossed the weapon aside and stepped away from the body of the man. For a moment she seemed to split into two as a visage of her corpse lifted away from her body, forming into a Haunter. The girl left behind looked perfectly healthy and alive.

"Good job, Salem," Lysis nodded, cracking her neck. "We should do that more often." She stepped over the body and walked to a safe in the wall. She placed her hand on the handle and, reinforcing the muscles in her arm with psychic energy, ripped the door from the safe. "Should've gotten a better safe," Lysis muttered as she dropped the door. She looked inside the safe and smiled. "Jackpot."

-------

"So, it's really you?" asked a young male. He looked to be somewhere in his twenties. He had short, dark brown hair and a screen-tanned face. He had a tuft of hair on his chin and a thin line on his lip.

"Yep, still me, Fabian," Lysis nodded. She sat in a swivel chair, legs crossed and arms places on the arm-rests, looking intently at the man before her, who who sat in a swivel chair. Screens flickered behind him and machines hummed. She had just finished explaining how she was still alive. "Glad to see you're still around too; I always liked you," Lysis commented smile.

"And I you, Miss Fox," the man turned in his chair, pressing a few buttons and then turning back. "You're one of the few who appreciates what I do."

"Fox? I haven't been referred to by my last name in years," Lysis commented.

"Well, you've been gone for years…" Fabian retorted. "And you, Valaura," he nodded at the Gardevoir. "I haven't seen you in a very long time, always a pleasure," he rose and bowed his head.

"You are too kind," Valaura responded rather loosely, as if she were interested in the potted plant in the corner than him. She stood next to Lysis and was currently looking out a tall window next to them.

Fabian grinned sheepishly and sat back down, the cushion hissed as his weight forced the air from it. "I hear they don't call you Valaura in the company anymore, simply 'the witch'."

"Witch?" Lysis asked, shifting her glance up to Valaura's crimson eyes. "They finally realized how powerful you are?" she sneered.

The psychic was silent.

"Anyway, while I'd be beyond flattered if you had come here simply for a visit, I doubt that's the case," Fabian stated wryly, leaning back in the chair.

"Oh, why is it you think I only come here when I need something?" Lysis frowned, leaning her cheek against her fist.

"You don't need something?" Fabian asked, brows raised.

"Well, yes, I do," Lysis shifted her gaze away.

"I rest my case."

"I need an I.D, a bank account, and a place to stay," Lysis put it forward simply.

"Is that all?" Fabian chuckled, being completely genuine, as if she were asking for a glass of water.

"Well, I would also like to take a look at your collection; you know the one I'm talking about," she sighed and closed her eyes, wearing a completely dreamy expression.

"What about you… her… Tara?"

"Hmm… she gave her PokéDex away; those things are irreplaceable… so yes, I suppose it would be a good idea if she also got an I.D and an account."

"On it," he nodded his head and turned around, beginning to type away at the console behind him.

"Make sure you set my age as nineteen, since I would be that old," Lysis added as she got up, walking over to the other side of room. The wall she faced was completely white and bare, save for a keypad off to the side. "Sequence still the same?" she asked as she lifted a finger to it.

"Yep."

In the blink of an eye she entered the seven digit code and stepped away from the wall. The wall began to hum as complete sections moved and shifted, lifting away to reveal a large selection of armaments.

"Oooh…" Lysis breathed as she saw the selection before her. She ran her hand gingerly across the closest weapon, a shotgun. She browsed the walls, taking time to look at each weapon, as if she were introducing herself to them.

"I don't know what you'll find there that you'll like more than those Strata; they're still years ahead of their time you know," Fabian commented as she browsed.

"Not looking for replacements," the teen answered. "But you can't have too many toys." She took hold of a sniper rifle and held it expertly, aiming at an invisible target. "I've always wanted one of these…" she uttered rather disconnectedly. "I'll take it."

"If you're so willing to dish out some of that money, take a look at the end," the man chuckled. "but, smile for the camera first."

Lysis turned did so.

"Smile again, different expression."

Lysis half removed her jacket so that the camera would only catch her shirt, and smiled vaguely.

"Thank you."

Lysis turned her head to where he had directed and widened her eyes. Gently, she placed the rifle on the ground and practically skipped to the end of the display. "Oh!" she swooned. "Look at you!" She was looking at what looked to be a bazooka. "You're beautiful…" she whispered as she ran a hand along its length, caressing every feature and detail as if it were a work of art.

"I'll discount it for you," Fabian called. "Half-off. Could never sell it anyway; s'been sitting there for years."

"People have no taste these days," Lysis muttered, disgusted, as she gently cased both weapons. She carried them over to her chair and set them down. She reached into a breast pocket of her jacket, pulling out a thick wad of money. She got the amount she needed and put it down on the table.

"Aaand done," Fabian grinned and swiveled back around, handing Lysis two cards. One was for a Lysis Fox, the other for a Tara Valens. "Both accounts are accessible from the ID, and the lock for your new penthouse will open to the swipe of either one."

"Penthouse?" Lysis smiled, eyes flashing.

"Yes, quite a find. Owned by the government, it's slipped from their sight through the cracks due to disuse. Thankfully I got a hold of it; they won't ever remember they have it. You'll be staying free, courtesy of government funds. If they ever track the money they'll find that it's going to a good will program."

"I'm not worthy," Lysis uttered with a sarcastic bow.

"It's here in Saffron, here's the directions." Fabian handed Lysis a map hot from the printer. "Because it was government owned, it's outfitted with state of the art stuff, including places to hide your… toys," his gaze shot briefly to the two cases, prompting him to reach out for the money. He didn't even count it and put it aside. The young man extended his hand. "Pleasure doing business with you, Miss Fox."

"Pleasure's all mine," Lysis grinned, shaking his hand, and with a nod to Valaura, grabbed the cases and both of them vanished.

-------

"Huh?" Tara exclaimed as she jolted awake into a sitting position. She found herself in a room different from before. In fact, to compare the room she was currently in to the room she was before would be like comparing a diamond to a clod of dirt. The room was exquisitely clean and modern. Pure white walls and a light gray carpet, with black furniture supported by metal legs.

It was going to take a while to get used to the possibility of waking up somewhere unfamiliar, and Tara was beyond angry at the fact that she would even be forced to deal with such a thing.

Tara rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her ebony mane of hair. She looked to her right, seeing gray curtains that blocked the midday sun. Turning her head even more she caught sign of a clock on a nightstand, catching the green-lettered time at 12:35pm. She sighed.

"Good afternoon."

Tara twitched and inhaled sharply, frightened by the sudden voice that echoed in her head. She looked straight ahead, seeing Valaura at the foot of the bed. The girl said nothing as she stretched and slid out from under the covers onto the plush floor. "Good afternoon," she muttered.

The teen walked to the curtains and drew them back, letting the bright sunlight hit her pale skin. She unlatched the lock and slid the glass door open, allowing a soft breeze to flow into the room, causing the drapes to flutter.

She was clothed in a simple white gown that billowed out behind her as she stepped out onto the balcony. With sapphire eyes shimmering in the light she gripped the rail and looked down at the city below her. She found no comfort in the sun, for it seemed to fail to warm her at all; its rays fell cold against her skin. The life of the city didn't fill her with any form of emotion, and she felt a depressing emptiness within herself. She felt alone.

Tara shivered slightly, and held her arms as she walked back into the bedroom. The door slid shut behind her, probably Valaura's doing. Tara threw off the gown and marched into the closet in order to find something to wear. She was surprised to find the large closet full of clothes, all of which were in her exact size. The girl didn't let her surprise get in the way for long, and found a blue shirt and pair of black jeans and put on. She pulled a pair of blue arm-warmers over her hands and picked out a black coat. It fit her rather well and looked very nice, though she didn't really take the time to look at herself in it in the mirror. Simple black buttons went down one side in order to fasten the three straps on the other, though the coat also had a zipper. Two front pockets and two inside, it also had a collar and a hood. The jacket went down mid-thigh. Tara couldn't care less about the appearance and simply put it on. Before she closed the door of the closet she caught sight of a jacket with a red R patched into the sleeve. Her hand trembled as she shut the door.

"How are you feeling?" Valaura asked, still at the foot of the bed and eyeing Tara with her crimson gaze.

"Hungry," she answered simply, sourly.

"There is a plentiful amount of food in the kitchen," the Gardevoir explained as Tara left the room.

Tara left the bedroom and found herself in a spacious living area. The design matched the bedroom. It was curved, with one whole wall being nothing but glass. To Tara's right a set of black leather couches sat situated around a rather large flat-screen television mounted on the wall. There was a space beyond it in which a low glass table sat with a decorative bouquet of exotic flowers - Tara guessed that they were fake. The table was in front of a set of double glass doors that led to the same balcony. Beyond the doors and the table was a simple quiet area with a recliner and a lamps. Two black bookcases stood, filled with a plethora of books and a fireplace set against the wall.

To Tara's left there were a step that ran in a curved fashion across the room. Up the steps was the kitchen. The appliances were stainless steel and the countertops were gray marble. The steps and floor beyond were of a slate gray tile, and the walls black marble. The ceiling was high and white, with lights up inside it, beaming down at the floor below. Opposite the kitchen was a large glass dining table with black leather cushioned chairs. Between the kitchen and the table was the main attraction of the room; a fountain. It was of a gray marble and featured a statue that contained four beings; Suicune and Lugia, of Johto legend, Kyogre of Hoenn legend, and a small, barely visible creature; Manaphy, of Sinnoh legend. All were placed around each other in a beautiful way that looked fluid in and of itself.

"Where are we?" Tara was forced to ask as she ascended the stair. Her voice was vibrant at first, despite her foul mood.

"A penthouse in Saffron City" Valaura replied as she followed, gracefully going up the steps.

"Do I even want to know how we got here?" Tara asked, bitter once more as she looked at Valaura with her blue eyes.

"It is not what you would consider legal, however, Lysis did not kill anybody for it," Valaura replied simply as she telekinetically drew out a chair and sat in it, crossing her legs and folding her hands in her lap.

Tara did not respond as she rummaged through the kitchen, which was completely stocked with anything she could want. She threw together a few things and ate ravenously, being halfway done before she even reached the table. Valaura was not looking at her and instead seemed preoccupied thinking of other things. For the first time Tara took a good look at the psychic. Valaura's small mouth was curved downward very seriously, and her vivid red eyes seemed as if they were as shallow as a puddle and also as deep as the sea. Tara could not help but look at the black coloring; coupled with the frown and the eyes, as well as her cold attitude, the black seemed to complete the image of corruption that the Gardevoir gave off.

"Corrupted?" Valaura stated, not even looking at the girl. "Perhaps, though, not entirely by choice."

"Just who are you?" Tara asked as she took a last bite, ignoring the fact that her mind had been read. "If you are to be a 'guardian', then I would like to know more about you." Tara was not at all in the mood for any sort of conversation, but she figured that in the end, there was nothing else she could do.

"Shall I start from the beginning then?" she asked, though she didn't expect an answer. She was still sitting in the same position and was not looking at Tara. After a blink of her eyes, she started. "I was born into Team Rocket, and never even saw the outside world for years. I was trained in much the same fashion that Lysis was. You will find that I can perform many of the physical feats she can, though my psychic abilities are far stronger. However, because I am not human, but Pokémon, I can be… controlled, or could have been controlled; it is not the case anymore. I was trained to perform tasks and to protect. A perfect soldier, or slave, whichever you prefer. I excelled at whatever task they gave me, and I was the most successful of my siblings, who were disposed of due to their inabilities."

Valaura was silent for a moment.

"I had the honor of standing guard of Giovanni himself for a short while. I was still excelling rapidly; gaining fine control of my abilities through my own genius and through the usage of Team Rocket's various instruments. All my time was spent training, I never grew close to any person, in fact I felt that I could not. I soon became too powerful. They had ideas of using me for massive terrorist threats and attacks. I told them that I would refuse to be used as such a tool and that because I was so powerful, they could not refuse me. Team Rocket is sly however, and from that moment on I retreated to sideline activities, always being aware of myself and those near me, as to not be caught off guard for when they decided to strike, trapping me with one of their inventions and enslaving my body."

Valaura finally shifted her eyes so that they met Tara's.

"I discovered Lysis during her first days with Team Rocket. I am not entirely sure what attracted me to her, perhaps because she was like me in the end, and refused to be used and then tossed aside."

"Why is she still with it though, what attracts her to that lifestyle?" Tara butt-in, already thinking of Lysis instead of Valaura's brief summary of her life.

"She enjoys it. She fully enjoys what Team Rocket awakened in her, the control and power it gave her. It was intoxicating to her. She adores the concept of being untouchable; her resurrection only proves the point that she does not want to be conquered."

"So I have to share myself with her because of her selfishness?" Tara rose her voice.

"In the end she did feel very bad for what she was doing, you could see that, but she could not stop then. You bring out the humanity in her, otherwise, she is a being of pure selfish desire."

"My last memory of her was very fond you know," Tara raised her chin. "I looked up to her, like an older sister, even when she was distant. Now it's all suddenly sour, you can't imagine how it feels."

"What, betrayal?" Valaura responded as if amused. "Oh, trust me, child, I know how it feels. Imagine living everyday, knowing the people around you care nothing for you and only wish to use you. I know it very well." her voice became bitter as well.

They were both silent for a while.

"I have to keep going," Tara said after a moment. "I can't just stop. Muku wouldn't want me to stop." She stood up, taking the dishes to the sink. "I have to keep doing what I've been doing, and stand up to show that I won't be conquered either."

"What will you do? Go back to battling?" Valaura said rather simply, which seemed to entirely strip all importance and meaning from the sport.

"Yes," Tara responded. "Because I do it well, and I enjoy it."

"Perhaps, but maybe not anymore. You know I am not lying when I say Muku was the main source of your strength. He was your support."

The girl stopped, gripping the counter so hard her knuckles popped. She turned around, facing Valaura, not doing anything to hide the tears. "Yes, he was. But my other Pokémon support me too, they love me too!" she stomped her foot, throwing a spoon across the room where it hit the wall and clattered noisily to the tile . "I would appreciate it, Valaura, if you didn't probe that far into my mind,"

"I do not have to read minds in order to discern that part of you, Tara," she answered wryly. "And what will you do to stop me?" Valaura cocked her head. "You do not seem so forceful now. No confidence. No power behind your voice, simply empty words."

Tara turned to the sink, ignoring the psychic. She turned on the water and began to lather a sponge. She was seething, and she knew Valaura could sense it, she could probably have sensed it even if she were continents away. She focused hard on the plates, piercing them with her gaze. She slammed her fist onto the counter in anger and looked shocked when the plate in the sink shattered.

She stood in silence for a few moments before saying, "I'm going to the Pokémon Center." With that and not even a glance towards Valaura, Tara walked away.