• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nostalgic Films From Your Childhood

Remeber when you were a kid and animated films were on the rise? Well I do and there are a few films that I plan on seeing again as soon as possible.

First up there's Fern Gully. I do not remember a single thing from this movie but the settings of some scenes have never left me.

A Troll in Central Park. I don't remember much from this one. I remember there's a troll with magic flower powers who convinces some 8 year old to climb down a hole underneath a bridge (Come on kids! You can always trust a troll!)

An American Tail. I used to watch this movie every day. The Giant Mouse of Minsk gave me nightmares.

Tailon

Gryffindork
On the subject of A Troll in Central Park, I direct you here: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... ntral-park

As for myself, my favorite movie when I was a kid, (and still one of my favorites) is The Lion King, which is often considered the height of the "Disney Renaissance" in fact, most of the Disney films during the 90s (except The Little Mermaid and Pocahontas) were a large part of my childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
There were quite a few that my me and then eventually my sister and I cycled through, obsessing over one for a while then moving on. There are simply too many to list them all, but here are some big ones.

Aladdin
Lion King
Snow White
Cinderella
The Rescuers
Fox and the Hound
Homeward Bound

Watching any of these will instantly take me back. I think they'll be quite common for any of us who grew up in the 90s, and they really are good films. Stuff that you can show your own kids one day and all that (if you ever want little brats of your own that is.) Lion King is a popular movie in general, and was definitely big. I remember going to the theater to see it when it came out and I was only four. I believe Lion King was the first film I saw in the cinema.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Technically I'm still a child, but if we count child as, say, before the age of 10, I'll have to say...

Lion King (1 and 2)
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Snow White
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
Bambi
Toy Story (1 and 2, too bad I can't put 3 on there)
And almost anything else by Disney :p

My favorite has always been Lion King, because the storyline was always really sad/moving/awesome and/or, if I was too young to understand the plot, the music was always catchy and nice to dance to or sleep to. A very close second would be Cinderella, because I liked a good romance movie way back when. To a certain extent, I still do XD

EDIT: And of course, what North American-Asian would I be if I've never seen Mulan? Loved it way back when, and still do~

Oliver and Company. All the way.

It was a beautiful movie from so long ago about this poor stray kitten who is taken in by these dogs and then this nice rich girl and and oh it was just so wonderful ♥ In fact, I listen to one song rather often, Good Company. It was so beautiful with the piano and is just wonderful in and of itself ♥

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccpK7qrcp8

It's so wonderful, in fact, that it's the first thing youtube brings up if you search Good Company ♥

Other than that, there was also Aristocats. It had even more cats, and a Do Re Mi type piano song ♥ It was so adorable, and jolly good fun :> I always get this wave of <3333 when I see either of them! Sadly, I only have The Aristocats readily available; it's on one of those old video tapes ♥

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind straight away:

The Land Before Time
The Lion King
Fern Gully
Balto
The Rescuers
Labyrinth
Watership Down <---- I still remember watching this with dad and him covering my eyes when one of the rabbits ripped the other one apart ♥

And it's not a film but I'm mentioning it anyway, because it was so awesome. The animals of Farthing Wood ♥

Surf Ninjas
3 Ninjas
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
Rescuers Down Under
Labyrinth
Princess Bride
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Lion King
Little Mermaid
Hercules
Oliver and Company
Clash of the Titans (original)
The Super Mario Brothers (yes, I know it's terrible)
(oh gods here it comes) Ferngully, unfortunately
Clue the Movie
Land Before Time (only the first one, and the second one I think)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Short Circuit
Jumanji

All right, I'm stopping there because otherwise it could go on forever and ever. I loved films when I was growing up, and I still love films more than most other forms of entertainment, so I could keep the list going, but for everyone's sake I'll just say I'm done xP

Hm.

All Dogs Go to Heaven 1/2: Especially 2. I used to sing along to every song in the movie XD;
Land Before Time (First one only)
Balto -I actually went to that statue in New York City- in fact, there are pictures of me throughout the years with it. Every time I go to Central Park, I take another one XD
Oliver and Company
Homeward Bound, mostly 2: But only because for some reason I got creeped out with the first one XD;
The Lion King
101 Dalmations

Now that I look, there are tons of dog movies. Damn songs were too catchy XD

I have so many of these, and some I do still like:

Lion King (I & II)
Little Mermaid (I & II)
Pocahontas
Oliver and Company
Homeward Bound (I & II)
Balto
101 Dalmations
Aladdin (I, II, & III)
Fox & Hound

A lot of those are certainly animal related, upon looking back. Guess I've been an animal lover my entire life, even when relating to movies. ^_^

Oh, I feel old TAT

Lion King (1 and 2)
Mickey Mouse: The Sourceror's (or however the devil you spell it.) Apprentice.
A Goofy Movie (I think that was the actual title)
An American Tale (I was hooked for a while)
Alvin and the Chimpmunks meet Frankenstein
Scooby Doo (the were wolf movie)

And I can't exactly remember the others. But there was a lot.

Oh gawrsh. Here we go.

Swan Princess. Best Award Bait song ever!
Lion King
Land Before Time II
Aladdin (I and III)
I remember getting III when I was like three.
Pochahontas
Mulan
Hercules
Fox & the Hound
Balto
Cinderella
Lady and the Tramp
Took me for ever to understand that Lady was preggors after they went on their little date...
Oliver and Company
Toy Story I and II
Woody became my favorite character like ever.
Indiana Jones I & III.
My mom told me when to close my eyes. :D
Edit: Red reminded me of Hocus Pocus . Best Halloween movie evar.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Chadwyck said:
I just watched that movie last weekend. :3 It's as awesome as I remembered. I totally love that somebody adored that movie as much as I did as a child.

This past summer I pretty much watched every single movie from the 90's that I could with my girlfriend. The two that I contributed outside of the Disney family were Hocus Pocus and Hook. Those two movies where two of my all time favorites as a kid and I still love them so freaking much that it's a bit nuts... >>

I loved Disney's 'Robin Hood.' It was hilarious. As with many other people, the Disney Renaissance is what I remember most. However, since my dad was into old movies, I watched things starring Abbot and Costello, 'Duck Soup,' Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and so on.

Lion King (1 and 2)
Toy Story (1 and 2)
Balto
Lady & The Tramp
Hercules
Mulan

God I can't wait until they rerelease The Lion King in Blu-ray and until November when all three Toy Stories are packaged together in blu-ray.

I would have to say most Disney movies in the 90s and earlier were amazing, some in the 2000s were awesome as well. I would say that first Pokemon movie is STILL amazing to this day (even though they contradic themselves by stating that Pokemon aren't meant to fight, who are you kidding what about all the episodes, games and earlier in the movie when they were spitting fire and electrocuting each other?!)

I would say that the old Transformers movie was amazing as well.

The movies I most distinctly remember from my young years of age were definately the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, I just couldn't get enough of 'em. The one that sticks out the most in my mind for one reason or another was the parody of the movie Big.

I'd also spam the first few Land Before Time movies over and over until I (unintentionally) drove my parent's up the wall. Reading all of the posts here kinda makes me want to watch all of my old dust-magnet VHS tapes now. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This is one of those topics that does my mind in. I adored hordes of movies as a kid, and the majority of 'em I'll still rewatch for fun. I pretty well loved all of the animated movies you guys have listed above. Kudos to anyone who mentioned the more obscure titles! ^^

Nobody mentioned the Secret of Nimh. It creeped me out when I first watched it as a wee tyke, but I really enjoyed it and wish I could rewatch it. I also shamelessly admit that I loved the Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation. It was actually rather disturbing for a Care Bears movie, and I liked the music. XD Oh, and the DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp. Big on my faves list as a kid.

The Chipmunk Adventure was gold. I ♥ so many of the songs from it. I can still watch it over and over again.

This topic asked about animated movies, but since others have mentioned some live action films... I too loved Labyrinth and Homeward Bound, but the NeverEnding Story, the Back to the Future trilogy, the original Star Wars trilogy are also high on my list. Also, the Witches (movie) gets a huge mention from me. Loved the movie before ever reading the novel.

Best I stop there or I'll be writing a novel. :p

Beauty and the Beast is really nostalgic, and it's my favorite Disney movie. Although my favorite movie of ALL TIME is Nightmare Before Christmas... which is kinda Disney.

Alice in Wonderland is really nostalgic, although I used to think it was about two hours long. Even now some of the scenes are kinda drawn-out for me. My favorite part is the march of the cards. :3