• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nomura mashes IPs together, world ends (with Sora).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a bit of news reported by at least two sources.

So it appears that the upcoming 3DS KH title, Dream Drop Distance, features a rather surprising (or not really, we should have probably seen Squenix pulling something this bloody stupid years ago) character to join the, um, adventures of Sora.

His exact eff!ing clone from a game that is far too awesome to be anywhere NEAR Kingdom Hearts.

Neku Sakuraba of The World Ends With You.

Apparently a new trailer/demo at the Tokyo Games Show shows Sora walking around Traverse Town looking for Riku (because who the bloody hell else would he look for) and finds Neku instead. Who proceeds to give him a talk-to-the-digital-clock-on-the-hand and partner with him for a round of the Reaper's Game.

In Traverse Effing Town.

In case the questions of how the hell can you partner with yourself (because Neku and Sora are pretty much the same freaking person) or what the hell is Neku doing in Traverse Town (It isn't Shibuya, last time I checked!) popped to mind - clear them away, because it's Kingdom Hearts. Nothing makes sense, and we probably should have expected Nomura to mash his IPs painfully together ages ago (This is why we can't have nice things. >>;).

Part of me kind of hopes that they wouldn't bother making a 3D model of Neku for just one game and that maybe, maybe, just MAYBE this could POSSIBLY mean TWEWY gets the bloody sequel it deserves... But I'm not counting on it. Either way, Fuck That Noise.

1874146-n129753_i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_i_lost_my_faith_today_in_people_s360x202_224167_580.jpg

No, seriously. I've been waiting for a sequel and THIS is what they throw at me? Neku has NO PLACE in a KH game. He just doesn't. And I do wonder what villains from the game they're going to throw in haphazardly- I really hope they don't change anyone too much ><

First Halo, now TWEWY. It seems the gaming community likes killing what I love one thing at a time.

StellarWind Elsydeon said:
what the hell is Neku doing in Traverse Town
Same thing Chip & Dale and Yuffie do. Hang out.
Everyone can end up in traverse town considering how it is basically a hub-town for all worlds that are Disney and SquareEnix related.

He's fitting. Same character designer Kingdom Hearts has, Square Game, same emotional retardation etc etc.

A Reaper level might bring Tabasco into the Series. Dont know if its lacking Tabasco as I never played more than the first.
Would be cool to see more characters from other Squareenix titles now. Maybe Dragon Quest or something.
Also the princess from the Princess and the Frog would be nice. Louis as your sidekick for that related stage. I should be paid for those ideas.

All in all its no negative news. Neku being in the game should bother only Kingdom Hearts fans as they are the ones who will see him. And I doubt that those have anything against him being in the game.
SquareEnix might be scouting for fanreception to see if they can bring out a sequel to TWEWY.

And if Square Enix think of bringing a Sequel to that game then they better dont bring back Neku. A whole new set of Protagonists is needed.
The protags are free and most badguys are dead.
Hanekoma, Sho (who didnt get erased actually), Joshua , Uzuki and Koki are basically the only characters that should come back. If at all.
Another setting wouldnt be bad either as the reports told us that there's games played all over the world.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'm excited to see what they do with Neku's powers, but I'm more excited to see who the Reaper's gonna be. I, personally, hope it's the Grim Heaper.

(So zetta slow)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's pretty cool that they're including more IPs in the Kingdom Hearts world. Kingdom Hearts has been a crossover series from the start and it always had room to include more than just Disney and FF characters.

I don't think why Neku is in Transverse Town really matters, does it? Going by the KH method, he's probably not the exact same Neku from TWEWY. They're usually more like alternate reality versions of the original characters.

Bottom line: I'm just looking forward to playing KH 3D. :x

Wow, this is awesome :D If Squeenix is bringing in Neku into 3D, then that opens doors for other Squeenix charries to come in later in the series as well~

The new clothes...Riku is ♥ Sora's looks nice too, but I would've preferred if he would've gotten some red pants similar to his KHII pants, but he does look cool.

Now then....the other two things.....I like the bat....the other thing kinda....yeah.....

All my Wat

All of it

But I suppose if Fairy Tale London, China and in 3D, France (Peter Pan ,Mulan and Hunchback of Notre Dame respectively) and even the realistic world of Port Royal can make it into a KH game, why not Modern day Shibuya....right?

Well, think of it this way. KH always has at least one FF cameo...barring 358/2 days...which had Moogles so its kiiiinda close. Anyways, maybe Nomura is saving his FF13 cameos (there's no doubt he's going to do this. It's an FF he worked on.) for KH3 and wanted to cram at least one Squeenix character into the game.

Besides, wasn't the gang in Twilight Town supposed to be a reference to the Bouncer, another non-FF game from Squeenix. In this case, its not too surprising.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Because Neku is a Square-Enix character. Simple as that really. ;)

Also, new trailer is out for this game that features Neku. People should check it out. ^^

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
This Seems to be the best trailer showing Neku that I've seen so far.

I really can't wait for this game, I've never played one in the Kingdom Hearts series before this has really caught my attention. =]

Never got a chance to play TWEWY, despite the fact that I want to really bad, for the reason that I'm almost always lolbroke. I am, however, an avid KH fan and I don't really mind when people don't enjoy the series because the truth of the matter is that I do and that's enough |D

Anyway, enough on that. I actually like the idea of other Square Enix characters making appearances in KH. I mean, being a huge FF fanboy made the FF crossovers enough, but I think that TWEWY being involved opens the door for other titles to come into play too. (So long as they STAY CLEAR of Infinite Undiscovery because that game was hella awful).

Bottom line is that I'm excited for KH3D either way, so anything they add to it is just icing on the cake. I'm really interested to see what they do with the character and how they incorporate the TWEWY things into the gameplay for KH.

*Scurries off to play TWEWY before this game comes out*