• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

No Evolution Run

So I've been toying with doing this for a while, and recently I've started doing a No Evolution Run of Pokemon X (I wanted it to be Pearl but the game keeps freezing on me). By that I mean I can't evolve any Pokemon, nor can I use any Pokemon above their base stage (note: base stage Pokemon do not include Pokemon with only one stage - so no Absol). So does anybody know of any base stage Pokemon that they consider reasonably good (at least, decent enough that I don't get one shot by late game megas)? I'm thinking perhaps Abra for a massive glass cannon, but I'm not sure what else to go with.

I'll probably do this with my copy of Heartgold. Seems interesting, and I want to see how well Totodile does. However I'll probably run it as a Nuzlocke.

Anyways Ralts and Onix may be two pretty useful Pokemon to add. And maybe Scyther. Considering how you get a choice of the Kanto Starters a good choice might be Bulbasaur, as it helps with set up.

Last edited:
It's hard to find anything not a glass cannon in a play through like this. Anything with Sturdy seems viable for being able to tank a one hit ko. Bagon seems decent if you can swipe one, along with Honedge for It's great moveset and numerous immunities. Sneasel too, considering It's solid enough to have been a one stage from gen 2 to 3.

Well I had a look around at a bunch of Pokemon and there are some Pokemon that might be able to take a few hits - Wailmer, and the previous mentioned Onix and Honedge are options. Plus there are some Pokemon with decently high attack and speed (but nothing else) like Gastly. But as you guys pointed out, anything that gained an evolution in a generation other than the one that it was introduced in is probably my best bet (and now I really wish Budew didn't exist so I could use Roselia). I'm definitely going to grab Onix, and I wish Scyther appeared way earlier in the game. I'll still probably grab one though.

I actually ended up grabbing Charmander because I wanted early access to Dragon Rage, so now I have two fire types (I wanted Fennekin for Viola). I'll probably ditch whichever one falls behind when I need a few party slot, or when Dragon Rage becomes weak.

Use a team of six Bidoof. That's all you need to beat the game.

Do you know how freaking long it took me to find a Bidoof with Unaware instead of Simple? It took ages, I caught like four of them before I got what I wanted. So, I guess I already have almost enough Bidoof for a team of six then... But losing two stats for every growl you come across in the early game is kinda annoying.

Also I swear to god that if this run is still easy I'm going to be so annoyed. Come on Pokemon X, make it hurt. Please don't disappoint me like this.