• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

*Nintendogs official discussion*

Here we will talk about the basic things you've recently done in Nintendogs. ok I bought a lab girl (there were only females) and decided to name her peach after princess peach toadstool. After a long grueling 15 minutes, she finally listened to my sit down comand (clearly talking in the mic gave me such a headache) she also learned her name was peach (god that took awhile) but after that beginning part the game got better and better. I taught her to shake her paw and beg aswell. After we went on a walk to the park (were along the way we had some number 1 accidents) finally we made it to the park were we played frisbee (she brought it back to me once and the other times she tryed to kill it) then we got home and I gave her some water because the walk made her exghausted. I was going to teach her some more tricks but she was to tired and lastly I put two red ribbons on each of her ears, did she ever look adorable.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My Puppy Profile
Name: Rufus (After the naked molerat ;))
Breed: Labrador Retriever
Color: Black
Current number of Tricks: 3 (I deleted the 'Sit Down' command and plan to relearn it as just 'Sit')
Contest Standings: Flopped in the initial Obedience contest, got second place in the basic Disc Throw contest
Accessories: Currently just wears the standard black collar
Trainer Points: 443 (What exactly do they stand for?)

Think that's most of the main stuff. Twice now I've taken him for long walks only to have him come back and ban all trick training until the next day. At least his endurance has grown and we can walk further. Today I plan to reteach him sit, teach the right 'lie down' position, and enter the obedience contest again. Gonna win it big this time or cry trying >=)

Edit:

Mwah! Just taught him sit, lie down, and shake, but the shake is iffy. The mic kept mixing it up with sit... Either way, I kicked ass in the second Disc Throw contest (first place ^^) and still have yet to do the Obedience one. Can't even attempt the Agility contest because I haven't discovered it at the Gym yet.

My doggie ate garbage on our last walk and the music went all funky. Bet there were drugs mixed in with the food :p

I want a Siberian Husky.

Don't know why though. I've got a real-life Alaskan Malamute, and they're basically huskies only twice as big. And with half the brain power.

After I teach Peach one more move (the last one in the training guide) I'm going to start entering contests. Peach can walk way further now and me and her decided to go to the agility trail to practice. I'm worrid about doing the disk throw though I suck at tossing that god dam thing so I'm going to have the practice at the park for awhile. I find it funny how big peach is compared to the other puppies in the area especially when she tackles them she's like godzilla.

Daschund and Friends has all the cutest dogs, like my pug Puddin'. Chase your tail! Good Puddin'!

Honestly, no DS owner can go without this (though 85% of them do).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been ignoring my puppy it seems... Lugiasian (for those who know her) has already purchased the most expensive house-style, makes about $1800 a day through contests, and can get up to 60 points in the Disc Throw. Overall, she's been very successful.
I on the other hand enter contests about once every three days (and ususally have trouble placing in the Obedience one), have only taught my Nintendog five tricks (I've deleted/retaught a few of 'em, tho), and usually only get one or two walks in a day. No new house style for me, and I made $100 yesterday! ^^;

Oh well... At least the game'll last me a long time, and I've still got two other puppies to buy and raise :wink:

EDIT: There was an awesome press release today giving Nintendogs' American sales in the first week. It broke records - no surprise here ^^

Here are the most import points of the article (aka. the first half):

REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 1, 2005 — With sales of a quarter of a million units in its first week of availability, Nintendogsâ„¢ is not only America's hottest-selling video game, but the best-selling new game franchise ever for a portable system.

Retailers already are reporting that Nintendogs, made exclusively for the hand-held Nintendo DSâ„¢, has sold out in numerous locations across the country, and Nintendo will deliver more shipments as soon as possible. The three versions of Nintendogs and the DS unit itself consistently rank at the top of Amazon.com's best-selling list of all video game products.

"Nearly 15 percent of all DS owners bought Nintendogs in just a week, a virtually unprecedented adoption rate for any title on an established system," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "And it's also helping sell new DS hardware. Coupled with a price drop to $129.99, retailers are reporting DS sales up between one and a half and three times previous levels, and last week DS comfortably outsold our portable competitors."

That beats even Pokemon Red and Blue. Now I can't wait to see how much the games sell over the next month. Hail the puppies!

Last edited by a moderator:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Does one of the US versions have Siberian huskies in? (I've been living under a rock for the past month - almost literally). The import games shop in my town has Nintendogs, apparently, but I haven't been there to look at it yet.

baratron

Staff member
:p

I thought they were all just called Nintendogs? Or Nintendogs Red, Blue and Green?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Sorry, my bad - it's not got Siberian Huskie in the name as I thought:

Nintendogs Lab & Friends
Nintendogs Chihuahua & Friends
Nintendogs Daschund & Friends

The last one has the Huskie.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... I'm just becoming a worse and worse trainer. With all my University stuff going on I just can't be bothered putting in the time to walk/train my puppy. I'm also starting to wonder if the cuteness/fad-ness of the game is beginning to wear off on me. It's a great game n' all, but the only reason I turn it on day-to-day is because you have to :?

Either way... My puppy rocked at the 2nd Agility contest but flopped horribly in our first Championship Disc Throw contest (I got bumped down a level, too...). Don't think I've attempted any Obedience contests since my last reply. Still gotta learn the Beg command.

I'm going nuts trying to find a new style of frisbee because I have a hunch certain ones can fly better than others. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it'd answer how some people can get 60 points so freakin' easily while over 36 is a stretch for me :p

If anyone's curious, it seems that you can unlock new breeds without directly linking with someone. When I reached 2000 Trainer points I unlocked Pugs. I wonder if this happens for every 2000 you get...? Gonna have to check gamefaqs for that.

Ramble, ramble, ramble...

Don't get yourself down alot of people got a work I have to go to high school so I can't see peach every day either I try to see her every two days unless I get a stack of homework. Peach came first in the disc competion (the one I thought I was going to suck at) and came third in the agility run unfortunatly though we have to redo the obedience trail sit down wasn't working with her :roll:

By the time I got a job, I'd prob'ly already have earned enough money through allowance... It's rather difficult for a 16-year-old who has afterschool stuff 2 days a week anyway to get a job.

Plus, my birthday's coming up, so maybe I'll get it then. *is hopeful*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I was going to import Nintendogs this week - finally deciding on Daschund and Friends for the most cute doggies but sadly it'll have to wait for next month.

This month my pay will more or less be completely spent on renovating my room.

Next month most will be on my holiday to Tennerife - so i'll probably pick up Nintendogs to take with me, though Advanced Wars DS would also be great to go with it I don't think i'll have the money.

Hopefully I will.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
:D

Love. This. Game.

I got Labrador & Friends. And my dog is the cutest thing ever. Anyway, here's my dog:

Name: Shadow (Inspired by it's black colour. Not the Hedgehog. Really, not the Hedgehog.)
Breed: Labrador Retriever
Current number of Tricks: 4 (Must replace 'Sit Down')
Contest Standings: Lost them. All. Will try again. Soon. Yes, soon.
Accessories: Red collar.
Trainer Points: 0

^^ Love my dog.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just got it today myself, Lab and Friends also. ^^

Brown Lab Bitch by the name of Zelda. ^^

Haven't really done much with it, just taught to sit down and lie down.

My mum had a go at it and loved it though - proof if there ever was that Nintendogs really does appeal to non-gamers. My mum can't even stand simle games, the most she's played is Tetris and Dr Mario.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I just got a new doggy.

Name: Tink
Breed: Shiba Inu
Current number of Tricks: 3 (Sit, Lie Down and Shake)
Contest Standings: 3rd place in the Obedience(God damn my spelling) Trial thing.
Accessories: French tri-colour bow.
Trainer Points: 1117

Just bought Nintendogs today ^^ Awesome so far. I got Chiuahuah and friends. My only dog so far is a Chiuahuah called Bruno :D He only knows like 3 tricks be he shall learn!!!

I just got it today. I now am the proud owner of a Siberian Husky named Khan. He knows Sit and Lie Down.

I love this game.

:3

EDIT: Khan now also knows Spin and Roll Over, and he won the beginner Disc contest.

Bruno now knows six tricks ^^ He came first in the beginner and open class obedience trials. I wondered something, anyone elses dog scared of sticks?! Wierdo Chiuahuah....o.o

Khan now knows how to shake, and he won at the beginner obediance trial with a score of 9.5... would have been higher, but sometimes when I say "shake" he spins. X_x

He's also worked out at the gym, and will probably be ready for the agility test soon.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I have a third dog now. She's a German Schnauzer called Skye.

And I came in first in the agility beginner class, but lost the open class. I came in third the Obedience Class with Tink, and I was first in the Disk Trial Beginner and second in Open.

Khan is holding steady at third in the Disc Master Class, he just won first with 9.57 in the Expert Obedience trial, and he's passed the beginner's Agility trial (barely...).

I've also adopted a second puppy, a dachsund named Adelene. She's sooo cute. :D

baratron

Staff member
So here's a question for you. Does The Clock Trick work with Nintendogs?

What do you mean, what's The Clock Trick? I thought you guys played Animal Crossing? You know, the trick where you change the time on your console so the game thinks it's a different day than it actually is? (Hell, I did this with Pokemon Channel all the time, to meet all the Pokemon... Although really sadly, when I visited the Insomniac Museum in Ratchet & Clank 2, it actually was 3am.)

I'm wondering whether you REALLY have to play Nintendogs every day, or if you can change the day on the console so it THINKS you did...

No, the clock trick doesn't work. I think what's happening is that the game is actually recording how long you're spending with each dog (in the status screen, it shows you this). Changing the time would not affect the amount of time you've spent with them, so they would still get hungry and thirsty.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... I've finally started playing again. Happy to see my puppy didn't run away on me. A friend of mine found him a Pirate Hat, too! ^__^

I think right now my next step is to get enough cash to buy another dog. I'm finally getting my Corgi named Ein! :p

I bought a second dog, a boxer named Coco! I love the way the boxers look in Nintendogs, all of the dogs are well done infact. My first dog Bruno is at the Masterclass level for Disc throwing, the one before masterclass in the Agility trials and The third level in the obedience trials. Not bad eh ^^

I was wondering, what kinds of items have you guys found so far?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I get bugger all. The last few walks I've taken Zelda on have been crafted especially to bump into the '?'s but most are other bloody dogs. Even worse, all the crap I do pick up is... well, crap.

I want some good stuff!

Did any of you other UK folks get the free bone shaped Nintendogs keyring with your game? It's cool :D I also get 25p off bakers dog food! go me!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I decided against pre-ordering.

Mostly because I wasn't sure if I was going to get it right away. I was under the belief that Advance Wars came out on the same day too but since it didn't I was free to get Nintendogs no problem.

Not my real idea of a pre-order bonus anyway. A Keyring's nice and all but not as collectable or covetable as some other pre-order stuff.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pikachu said:
I was wondering, what kinds of items have you guys found so far?

Not too much... I'll list my best/favourite stuff under their categories.

Sports
Rubber Mushroom (My favourite toy so far)
? Block (The classic Mario ? Block. It doesn't do much but it's funky anyways ^^)

Accessories
Spiked Collar
Newsboy Hat
Pirate Hat (Best yet)

Etc.
A Meteorite ^^

Yeah... I have found more than that, the rest is either just boring or pretty much worthless.