• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You're going to have to talk in much more detail here, I'm afraid. What controls does the Switch lack that the other consoles or 3DS have? Why do you think that the absence of these controls can't be worked around?

Yeah, I don't think I saw anything missing. I saw the two analog sticks, buttons (possibly C-buttons from the N64) and D-Pad, along with the needed start (and select?) buttons, so everything seems to be in place.

Unless the L and R/ZL and ZR buttons are missing. In that case, yes, that will affect how the games are played quite greatly, because if Splatoon is going to be a thing for the Switch, then controls may need to be compromised to fit the necessary actions. But then again I could be wrong, and maybe I just didn't look hard enough on the controllers, and in reality they are in fact there.

Still though, it's just a hunch.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Unless the L and R/ZL and ZR buttons are missing. In that case, yes, that will affect how the games are played quite greatly, because if Splatoon is going to be a thing for the Switch, then controls may need to be compromised to fit the necessary actions.
From the images, each JoyCon (and that's still a stupid name) have two shoulder buttons at the top, which would act as dual shoulder buttons when they're both connected to the Switch controller, like you'd expect. The Switch Pro Controller also has the same, much like the Wii U Pro Controller did. :)

The only thing that might be missing is analogue shoulder triggers, which could prove problematic for some games if they're not there. The Wii U missed this feature too, so it won't be an issue for Nintendo games, but it would be for some games often found on PS4/XB1, like driving games for example.

Last edited: